Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

Book Crossing is a great idea, never done it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

It is indeed. I have to say I enjoyed the trip out to Baldoyle yesterday evening, lovely scenery. I missed the Stephen King book (hopefully one of you got it!) but I got another free book, thank you Baldoyle library!

See here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897240

The next meeting of Dublin BookCrossers is next week, pm me if you would like to come along.

I'm in the process of registering "Under the Dome" so when I've read it I'll post a message here telling you where I've left it. It might take me a while, it's a big book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

It is indeed. I have to say I enjoyed the trip out to Baldoyle yesterday evening, lovely scenery. I missed the Stephen King book (hopefully one of you got it!) but I got another free book, thank you Baldoyle library!

See here...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055897240

The next meeting of Dublin BookCrossers is next week, pm me if you would like to come along.

I'm in the process of registering "Under the Dome" so when I've read it I'll post a message here telling you where I've left it. It might take me a while, it's a big book!

I'm still trying to work my way through that one, about two thirds in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

thebullkf wrote: »
    get stuck in....they're saváiste ;)......*the books though...not graphics*

I read the books ages ago, they were great!

So I managed to finish Dreamcatcher and it definitely got better. It was interesting and quite good but I hated the ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

moonflower wrote: »
    I read the books ages ago, they were great!

So I managed to finish Dreamcatcher and it definitely got better. It was interesting and quite good but I hated the ending.

ditto....kings weakest points are his endings,,,,:(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Only book is.....The Stand;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Doom wrote: »
    Only book is.....The Stand;)

laws yes..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭vangoz

M-O-O-N spells Yes!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Just finished reading The Gunslinger, had to say found it quite hard to read and understand overall.

However I shall persevere with the rest of the series, in the hope that it does get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

The dark tower series is up there with my all time favs, and the gunslinger was one of two of my favourite books of the series. So if you don't like it now I'm not sure you will like the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Im reading the graphic novel adaptions of the Stand and The Dark Tower series if that counts , also a big fan of his Sons(Joe Hill) novel Heart shaped Box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Raedwald wrote: »
    Just finished reading The Gunslinger, had to say found it quite hard to read and understand overall.

However I shall persevere with the rest of the series, in the hope that it does get better.

Ah I was exactly the same a few months back, I actually remember posting here for clarification , I had so many questions. I've have been going through them at a steady pace and glad I stuck with it. Just finishing up #4 wizard and glass at the moment. It's my favorite so far. More of a western than the others since the Gunslinger which is why I like it more I think.

You're in for a shock with the 2nd one though, it was by far the hardest for me to get into because of the direction it takes etc and took me a good week to pick my jaw off the floor after the opening happenings :eek:, but was well worth the effort. My advice is try to ditch all the questions you have about it and just go with it as I nearly drove my self bonkers dwelling on the questions that eventually get answered :D

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

calex71 wrote: »
    My advice is try to ditch all the questions you have about it and just go with it as I nearly drove my self bonkers dwelling on the questions that eventually get answered :D

Cool thanks for that, tbh I'm a pretty quick reader and don't really think about what I'm reading, I just try and get through the book and let it all unravel before me. Never been one for stopping and thinking about whats going on etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

This could be really, really good or really, really awful. I hope it's the former!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Hi -I'm 3/4 of the way through 'The Dome'- haven't bought a Stephen King book in years but this one really caught my eye.

Really good read, and it's getting better too .. can't wait for the finale!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,243 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Glowing wrote: »
    Really good read, and it's getting better too .. can't wait for the finale!

Uh oh. You might be disappointed. His endings can be a bit dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

New book released tomorrow, very excited!

Kablamo! wrote: »
    New book released tomorrow, very excited!

Already? God he really churns them out doesn't he! Any further info on the book Kablamo?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,997 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Looks like this is it, doesn't sound great to be honest or maybe thats just me?

• Advertisement

Looks like this is it, doesn't sound great to be honest or maybe thats just me?

That could be interesting. Though I'm not a fan of novellas, I feel you are only getting into the story and it's over.

I quite enjoy his novellas. It seems to be getting good reviews, will pick up a copy later on today hopefully... I imagine it'll be somewhat similiar to 'Hearts in Atlantis'.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Managed to get a copy in Hughes and Hughes, oddly enough I couldn't get it in Easons.

I enjoyed it, my main criticism is that the last two stories are quite short.
    Worth buying, imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just downloaded the audiobook to give it a go. Read some good stuff about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

My wife is a big time fan of King’s books and has them all (except for the newest... yet). A few years ago I thought it would be a nice Christmas gift to get her a signed book by King. I didn’t trust what I saw on the internet because I’ve read the vast majority are forgeries, and the ones that can be authenticated are quite pricey. Then one morning I got an email from The Haven Foundation (an organization started by Stephen King as a resource for writers who have found themselves unable to work due to disease or accident), because we were on his newsletter. They were offering a limited number of “The girl who loved Tom Gordon” signed by Stephen King. I ordered one straight away (if memory serves me correctly about $40) and within minutes they were all sold out (becasue after thinking about it for a few minutes I tried to order a second). On Christmas morning my wife opened the present and was not impressed. She said she already had the book and one with his signature didn’t mean anything because it wasn’t personalized specifically to her. Go figure! Now it sits in some box somewhere with the authentication from The Haven Foundation. I have come to the conclusion that all you King fans are nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Went for years between reading any of his work, then decided to try the first of the Dark Tower series before they ruin it with the upcoming film/TV travesty waiting to happen. Devoured the first one in a few days and I'm halfway through the second one at the moment and loving every page so far..
    Say what you like about King, but no other book I've tried to read recently has so completely absorbed me during my 45 minute commute to work, thankfully I haven't missed a stop yet, but I can see it happening!

"Getting it on" from the Bachman books was one of my favourites as a kid - might have to grab another copy of that soon too

calex71 wrote: »
    You're in for a shock with the 2nd one though, it was by far the hardest for me to get into because of the direction it takes etc and took me a good week to pick my jaw off the floor after the opening happenings :eek:
    I got a copy of the Gunslinger which for some bizarre reason had the prologue from the second book at the end of the first book - didn't actually like the way it started (
    having a character as strong as Roland getting seriously ****ed up by a big lobster
    ), so almost let it put me off buying the second book... Thankfully I went ahead and got it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DonOcelot

I havent read a Stephen King book before but i was very eager too. I looked up load of reviews and lists of the best king books etc...
    I bought both the stand and the Dark Tower Series.

I started the Dark Tower series as it sounded very interesting.
    Of course i started with"The Gunslinger", although at some parts i found it hard to keep going and a bit weird, in the end i enjoyed it, especially the conclusion. So i continued, i absolutely loved the second book, i was just completely immersed in the story, the doors aspect, the "lobtrocoties" and the characters themselves. I was really excited after finishing it and, although i found king dragged on a bit in general, i was eager to begin the third book, "The Wastelands".

This is where i get to my point. I cant finish this book. I just cant. I keep going back week after week but cant read more than 15/20 pages without just giving up. It so dragged out, there so much focus on bizarre but in the end pointless incidents and we're still in the dark on who and what exactly we are reading about.

So, my question, should i endure it and keep going?
    I know fans are gonna say yeah, but is there any King fans who just couldnt get into this series either?

This is where i get to my point. I cant finish this book. I just cant. I keep going back week after week but cant read more than 15/20 pages without just giving up. It so dragged out, there so much focus on bizarre but in the end pointless incidents and we're still in the dark on who and what exactly we are reading about.

So, my question, should i endure it and keep going?
    I know fans are gonna say yeah, but is there any King fans who just couldnt get into this series either?

The Dark Tower series sort of divides people, a lot of people love it (myself included) and a lot of people hate it. For example, my sister is a huge King fan, has read pretty much everything he has written, but yet she just couldn't get into the series at all.

You don't say which part of the book you are on (maybe you could tell us using spoilers) I enjoyed the start and middle of The Wastelands but felt it seriously dragged in the second half of the book. Annoyingly, it ends on a cliffhanger and the start of the 4th book continues on with the nonsense! However, the rest of the 4th book is super, it goes back to when Roland was a teenager and is one of my favourites in the series. The 5th book is good, the 6th is good but gets seriously weird and I haven't read the 7th yet, but I have heard the ending is disappointing. I am currently reading them for the second time, to refresh my memory before reading the last one.

On the whole, I would say try and stick with it. I feel The Wastelands is a strange book, I think the first half would have been better included in book 2 and then the second half of book 3 and the first part of book 4 lumped in together.

It's up to you, if you're really hating it, then there's no point reading it, I however feel that if you can get through a couple of slow bits, then the series as a whole is really superb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I remember reading the Running Man, ( fantastic effort ) and then watching the film....they should remake the film in the book style.

Thinner was also very good. Not a bad film either.

Advertisement