Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just reminded me I thought one of his best was the story about the boy & old nazi. can't remember title.

I always remember reading many James Herbert books years ago & apart from Rats (brilliant,skin crawling) possibly because I got used to his style it seemed that mny of his books had a credible plot but ended up with some supernatural outlandish explanation for the events.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

pavb2 wrote: »
    Just reminded me I thought one of his best was the story about the boy & old nazi. can't remember title.

That was Apt Pupil from Different Seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭sxt

That was a good little movie too ,with Ian Mckellan as the old Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

questioner wrote: »
    ive read everything except duma key , favourite author for a long time. love the recurring themes, the tower etc. I think i heard a rumour about the dark tower being made into a film, i think del toro would be the man for the job personally. jacksons had his day in the sun. Incidentally del toros latest is well worth a read "the strain"

Unfortunately Bale is tipped to get it which would kill me :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Muscovite

I adore King) Used one of his books when studying lexicology)
    By the way, his book "The Cell" - what's your idea, does it only mean "cellular phone" or is the biological sense also implied, all those mobiloids forming one big indivisible cell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

questioner wrote: »
    ive read everything except duma key , favourite author for a long time. love the recurring themes, the tower etc. I think i heard a rumour about the dark tower being made into a film, i think del toro would be the man for the job personally. jacksons had his day in the sun. Incidentally del toros latest is well worth a read "the strain"

Read Duma Key, it's his best I've read in a long time!!More mature but really enjoyed it

Read The Strain as well, started off great, loved the idea of the
    plane lying dark on the runway with no one able to get inside
    but I don't think it was that great over all! Saying that will read the sequel if there is one, now we just need to get Del Toro back on The Hobbit!

I wasn't too sure about Duma Key - the story wasn't great, but at least I felt it was a return to his earlier writing style. A bit OT, but I didn't think much of The Strain.

Hey ,what are peoples favourite top 3 or top 5 Sk books that ?they have read so far? Would be cool to know what every likes most right now?

You know I really think that alot of Sk books are so good that they have greater meaning the next time you read them, and the shining and Carrie are two to name a few,I didn';t think much of them when I read them but that was probably alot to do with the pre hype aropund these books.I was not overly impressed with Pet Semetary first time round, but when I read it again I was Wowed! Maybe if It's the same for Carrie and Shining and any other Sk books !,What are your fav 3 or 5 Sk books that you have read so far?
    Mine are thus

The Stand
    Pet Sematary
    Bag of Bones
    Wizard and Glass
    The long walk

I don't think I have ever read a Sk book that i didn't enjoy...

Tough one - my favourite ones to read are probably the short stories as they're easy reading. His best books are often very long, so I wouldn't read them too often or casually.

eoin wrote: »
    Tough one - my favourite ones to read are probably the short stories as they're easy reading. His best books are often very long, so I wouldn't read them too often or casually.

Have you ever read an Sk book that you did not like? I don't think that I have allthough the endings of a few books did suck alot!

• Advertisement

Wasn't mad about these:

Hearts in Atlantis
    Dreamcatcher
    Desperation
    The Regulators

Yeah I thought the ending on Dreamcatcher was terrible and cell! Never read Hearts in Atlantis... Had a wet spot for Desperation/ Regulators though:p maybe because it took me about three years to source both books !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭pavb2

Just coming to the end of the Stand now, it doesn't feel like a book of over 1000 pages
    Liked Tom Cullen, Kojak, Nick & Trash Can Man

Who am I to criticise but following on from other comments I think Flagg would have worked equally as well without the supernatural bits, levitating etc, you know like some kind of opportunist megalomaniac

Any how I think it was worth the read but wouldn't say it was the best thing I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭filmfan

I agree it's worth the read but the first half of the book is the most powerful by far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

sxt wrote: »
    Have you ever read an Sk book that you did not like? I don't think that I have allthough the endings of a few books did suck alot!

I thought "Insomnia" was terrible, its the only one from SK that i didnt like.
    I love the Stand, but the ending is a little weak IMO. First half of the book wasy better than the second half

I just bought The Passage yesterday by Justin Cronin, think if you're a King lover you're going to like this one, great so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I first read SK when I was maybe 13 or 14. Cujo. Loved it, and spent the rest of my teens reading everything King had written pretty much. Then in my 20s, got more into non-fiction, but recently have started reading SK again.

Recently finished 'Lisey's Story'. For the first time ever, I found it difficult to get into a SK novel. Found it slow and (un-charactaristically) over complicated. But.. as it progressed, and everything started coming together, it worked really really well. It's not a horror, more a pyschological thriller, but I'd recommend it to anyone who likes King, if they want something written slightly different to his norm.

Re-reading Misery at the moment. A terrific gripping read.

I'm going to re-read Salem's Lot next. I don't remember much about it, other than it scared the hell out of me when I was younger..

A lot of folk criticizing Cell. I really liked it.

I love King's style of writing. You feel like he's talking straight to you. It's familiar and entertaining, with a good sense of humour - never too heavy. I can understand why he appeals to the masses.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I liked the Dark Tower books, but the ending was...

A lot of folk criticizing Cell. I really liked it.

I love King's style of writing. You feel like he's talking straight to you. It's familiar and entertaining, with a good sense of humour - never too heavy. I can understand why he appeals to the masses.

I really liked Cell too ,except the ending i felt was a bit of a letdown. His characterisation is phenomeonal, making you feel for the characters and care what happen to them. There was one very memorable and sad moment in that book that sticks out for me,I had to read that part numerous times in an effort to console myself

I know I read The Cell and liked it but for some reason I can't remember any of it now, must give it another go when i finish The Passage (which may be a while as it's 800 pages)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

I'm reading Dreamcatcher at the moment and I'm finding it really hard to get into. It just seems a little too weird. Does it get better or should I just give up?

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I must get a copy of Under The Dome this summer...[/QUOTE]
    "The Dome" was in Waterstones Jervis yesterday for only €5.50!! Good bargain.

I still have my beloved copy of "The Stand", you've all inspired me to read it again. It's one of the very few books that I've kept, I normally give my books away or to charity.

moonflower wrote: »
    I'm reading Dreamcatcher at the moment and I'm finding it really hard to get into. It just seems a little too weird. Does it get better or should I just give up?

I remember disliking it, but can't remember which half of the book was more crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

I struggled with Dreamcatcher too. I thought the start was quite interesting and had real potential, but thought it got very weird in the middle and by the end I didn't have a clue what was going on. Also, I found it excessively gory
    that scene in the bathroom where the alien comes out of him!
    : :eek:

Not one of SK's that I would be reading again.

Not sure how far in to it you are. but the start was the better part of it IMO, so if you're struggling with the start, you may find you lose the will to live by the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I found it very wierd as well when I read it. I persevered with it as I wanted to see how it all panned out and while some parts of it were quite interesting, overall it was not one of King's better books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

I must get a copy of Under The Dome this summer...
    "The Dome" was in Waterstones Jervis yesterday for only €5.50!! Good bargain.

I still have my beloved copy of "The Stand", you've all inspired me to read it again. It's one of the very few books that I've kept, I normally give my books away or to charity.

i absolutely loved the stand, although I agree that the first half was superior to the latter. similarly, under the dome is great, some good characters there, although when I finished it I wished I'd stopped reading earlier and imagined the ending because the final quarter was shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

King was easily my favourite writer growing up. I dont think he ever topped IT tho. That book is absolutely phenomenal. Not just as a horror story, but i dont think ive ever read something that really seems to transport you to small town america in the 50's. His storytelling and characterisation are incredible, he did the same with Stand by me (The Body), another story that really just conjures up small town america circa 1958 in your mind absolutely perfectly.
    Criminally underrated as a writer, i think alot of people assumed hes jsut a hack horror writer, without realising that he wrote stories that went on to become great films like Shawshank Redemption, Stand by me, Dolores Claiborne, etc.
    Still love his work, last one i read was Cell, which was pretty good. Not up to the standard of his old stuff, and it basically copies & pastes the ending from 'the fog'.
    Favourite books would hav eto be IT, for sure, Salems Lot, The Shining, Pet Cemetary, and his short stories, Different Seasons, Skeleton Crew, Nightmares & Dreamscapes.
    Oddly enough i dont like the stand. I thought the first 200 pages or so were phenomenal, then it slowed down, then it came to a stupid ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

ncmc wrote: »
    I struggled with Dreamcatcher too. I thought the start was quite interesting and had real potential, but thought it got very weird in the middle and by the end I didn't have a clue what was going on. Also, I found it excessively gory
    that scene in the bathroom where the alien comes out of him!
    : :eek:

Not one of SK's that I would be reading again.

Not sure how far in to it you are. but the start was the better part of it IMO, so if you're struggling with the start, you may find you lose the will to live by the end!

That scene is the last bit I read, and it put me off a little. I didn't make it to the library today though so I think I'll finish it off as I've nothing else to read tonight.

I found the first of the Dark Tower graphic novels in the library yesterday. I read it last night and it was great! I've never really gotten into comic type things but this one has changed my opinion a little, a might give some more of them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

That scene is the last bit I read, and it put me off a little. I didn't make it to the library today though so I think I'll finish it off as I've nothing else to read tonight.

I found the first of the Dark Tower graphic novels in the library yesterday. I read it last night and it was great! I've never really gotten into comic type things but this one has changed my opinion a little, a might give some more of them a go.

get stuck in....they're saváiste ;)......*the books though...not graphics*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Travel is good

For all you Stephen King fans, Baldoyle Library has just "released" the book The Dark Tower VII. This means that they have placed the book on a shelf in the lobby, free for you to take and enjoy. Bookcrossing is the practice of leaving your books around various different places, for other readers to pick up & pass on the book. See the website for more details:
    http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/8117294

If none of you pick up the book, I might go out there after work & see if I can "catch" the book as I'm a big fan of Stephen King anyway!

Good luck!

www.bookcrossing.com

Advertisement