Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Absolutely Fleeced by Quinn Direct - I feel like either hitting something or crying.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

I was shafted by them for over 4k after an accident went court. All the wahilie my premium went through the roof for 2 years while the courts settled it.

if the exact same thing happens to you tomorrow hibernian will do exactly the same thing as will any of the other insurers unless you have bought bonus protection of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

It's fine print that is specific to Quinn.. That's my problem.

All insurers have fine print and t's and c's - and what you outline is not exclusive to quinn, for example if you cancel a policy with Britton brokers for Prestige, they hold back plenty of cash as I learned in the past.

Still, its a PITA, most of us have been there.....so, I can relate.
    Also,I don't troll but apology accepted.:)

I was 21 years old, I just got the car I wanted since I was 10. I could only get insured on Quinn. Now I cancel insurance to save money and over pay by near 550euro.

i feel for ya but this is the only reason quinn are able to offer insurance to people in your circumstances in the first place. there is a reason the other companies wouldnt take you so they charge you a premium for taking you. i know how you feel but its like flying with ryanair and complaining that they are making you pay 20euro for every kg your bag is overweight this is how they make their money

• Registered Users Posts: 22 BigBelly

PeakOutput wrote: »
    I was shafted by them for over 4k after an accident went court. All the wahilie my premium went through the roof for 2 years while the courts settled it.
    QUOTE]

if the exact same thing happens to you tomorrow hibernian will do exactly the same thing as will any of the other insurers unless you have bought bonus protection of course

Bonus protection is a load of sh!t and only proves useful if you claim for something under €500. Anything more then that and the premium will still increase dramatically but you will be issued a letter stating you have x amount year NCB with X company. When you move to another insurer they will only count your NCB from the year you claimed. So if you had 5 years ncb in jan 2007, claimed in Jan for a bumper Q would still tell you you had 5 years NCB. However; if you go to say Axa in 2009 they will only accept 2 years ncb from you as it has only been 2 years with NO claims on your policy.

BigBelly wrote: »
    Bonus protection is a load of sh!t and only proves useful if you claim for something under €500.

not really
    Anything more then that and the premium will still increase dramatically but you will be issued a letter stating you have x amount year NCB with X company.

unless something major has change since i left the business thats not true. you either have bonus protection or you dont. if you do you can have one claim on your policy without it affecting your ncb
    When you move to another insurer they will only count your NCB from the year you claimed. So if you had 5 years ncb in jan 2007, claimed in Jan for a bumper Q would still tell you you had 5 years NCB. However; if you go to say Axa in 2009 they will only accept 2 years ncb from you as it has only been 2 years with NO claims on your policy.

well of course you didnt buy the protection from axa so why would they give you a 5 year bonus when you had an accident 2 years ago?

it is one other way of a company keeping you with them after an accident but if you like the company your with thats not an issue

• Advertisement

I'm an underwriter so I can assure you it's all true and accurate. Also I pointed out the issue with changing insurers as most people don't realise the bonus protection does not transfer from one company to another. If you have contacted and accepted a quote from another insurer based on the fact you thought you had a protected NCB that would transfer to them only to realise that is not the case and they either cancel the policy or increase the premium, in most cases charging more than your original insurer. When you go back to your original insurer you are treated as a new customer a still only have 2 years NCB.

Also the one claim without affecting is bull as your premium will still increase the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Also the one claim without affecting is bull as your premium will still increase the following year
    On what basis will they load the premium if the NCB is fully protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest that policy of withholding 90% of premium if policy is cancelled early is pretty crap. I know alot of insurers do this but many I think only if you cancel during your first year with them. Ive never had a problem with axa relating to anything like that.
    When the OP rang quinn to cancel the policy, there is no doubt he should have been advised that 90% of premium would be withheld to see if this made a difference re the decision to cancel.

mickdw wrote: »
    When the OP rang quinn to cancel the policy, there is no doubt he should have been advised that 90% of premium would be withheld to see if this made a difference re the decision to cancel.
    Absolutely. It may even have been worth the OP's while paying the full premium if it made the difference between getting NCB for the year and not.

ok its been two years and i was in claims not underwriting so if i have to ill bow to your superior knowledge in the are

but your premium increasing is not the same as losing your bonus your premium can increase for any other. i have dealt with hundreds if not thousands of claims involving no claims bonus protection and if the persons premium went up after one accident it was either a mistake or because something else had changed in the mean time

as far as i remember it protects you for one accident in two years and some insurance companies will even let you pick which accident it applies to if you have more than one

again this was from 2 or 3 years ago the big r word might mean they are clamping down and changing terms and conditions

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

mickdw wrote: »
    To be honest that policy of withholding 90% of premium if policy is cancelled early is pretty crap. I know alot of insurers do this but many I think only if you cancel during your first year with them. Ive never had a problem with axa relating to anything like that.
    Oh stay away from quinns a shower of gangsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

malcox wrote: »

what an informed post.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Ya well i had a long post wrote out and this stupid 3 broadband crashed and deleted everything OK

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

malcox wrote: »

is there any insurance company who aren't??

what an informed post.:o

well he is right :p

TheColl wrote: »
    is there any insurance company who aren't??

most of them besides quinn tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

most of them besides quinn tbh

right, well i'll be switching next time so! they've actually been the cheapest for me the last 3 years in a row and have found them very easy to deal with, perhaps i've just been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭pdiddy

im also with quinn about 8yrs now without any prob have switched insurance from one car to another numerous times always found them to be helpful,had a claim against me 2 yrs ago premium went up for the first year but came down a good bit the second year,theyve always been the cheapest no matter what car ive tried to insure

Anan1 wrote: »
    On what basis will they load the premium if the NCB is fully protected?

Because you have claimed you have proven a risk, so while they will deduct a % for your no claims bonus they will load your premium higher than someone else with your specifications. They are legally entitled to do this and the excuse thats usually given for the increase is inflation. Not sure how the personal lines staff are explaining it at the moment though :rolleyes:
    Your claims history obviously plays a huge part in calculating your risk to an insurance company and if they have to pay out €5 -€10K for an accident there is no way your premium will not be loaded the following year. The NCB protection is nice for peace of mind for those who have never had to use it but it is widely viewed (in my experience) as a money making scheme for insurers and over the phone sales agents were encouraged to push it on customers back when I was in sales.

To everyone saying it's in the Terms and Conditions, I'd love to see you to say that your girrlfriend or mother if they got done for near 550euro.. That's more money than most peoples entire policy for the year! It's easy to be righteous on the internet but I guarantee every one of ye would feel agrieved if you were me and no amount of T&C's would make you forget it.

The other thing is that I signed onto Quinn and never considered that I'd want to be cancelling the contract.. So it wouldn't have swayed my decision back then. I can't afford to drive anymore and considering I cancelled my insurance and am taking the bus to work, getting fuked for the money is particularly annoying. It's not like I've another car now or anything, I'm getting the bus to work while knowing Quinn are taking 550euro too much off me.

Anyone who comes back and says T&C's, well that doesn't mean I'm not getting fleeced.. Just because it's legally binding doesn't make it fair. If I signed up to an extortionate rate of interest or something, then I can't complain.. But it's a ridiculous cancellation policy that gets magnified because of the huge initial premium.

Everyone in work is sympathetic and thinks it's a disgrace.. Shows the difference between real life and boards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Everyone in work is sympathetic and thinks it's a disgrace.. Shows the difference between real life and boards.

Thats because they are face to face with you..

I cancelled my policy with quinn last year.. I just had to pay €50 cancellation charge and that was it.. I was paying monthly by the way through DD..
    I was in my 8th month..

They have obv changed their t&c's or we are not getting the full story.

Ye are getting the full story. Anyways, this is getting repetitive.. Let the thread die.

Anyways, this is getting repetitive.. Let the thread die.
    Done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement