Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Absolutely Fleeced by Quinn Direct - I feel like either hitting something or crying.

Options
  • 20-01-2010 4:17pm

I'm sure it's been done before but I'm ready to punch a wall if I don't vent this out..

Ended policy at end of December having given them 1900euro for 1705 euros worth of policy. 2450euro total policy for year.
    Another 195euro comes out at start of January after policy ended bringing it up to 2100euro.

I was expecting a good chunk of this back but because of small print, I now owe them 143euro more..

I'm paying 2240euro for 1700euro worth of policy :mad::mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

So move insurers....

So move insurers....

What? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

So move insurers....

I think thats where lies the problem!

Thank you hblock for being smarter than a 5 year old.
    What niceirishfella said was so stupid, it had to be trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

You haven't expainled this well.

Why are you paying them more than the policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

sorry, but why is the policy worth "x" and you are paying "y"?
    Please excuse my ignorance but I fail to see why you are paying so much. Are you paying in installments?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Thank you hblock for being smarter than a 5 year old.
    What niceirishfella said was so stupid, it had to be trolling.
    Easy on the personal insults. As spadder says, you haven't explained this well. Give us a proper picture and we'll give you proper advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I presume your paying by direct debit monthly?

That would go some way to explaining what you mean in you opening post

Anan1 wrote: »
    Easy on the personal insults. As spadder says, you haven't explained this well. Give us a proper picture and we'll give you proper advice.:)
    Ok well sorry for the insults but I've never felt this robbed.. Quite pissed off at everything.

A better explanation..

I paid over 500euro deposit for insurance and a monthly payment of 195euro after that. That's how I've overpaid..
    I cancel insurance at end of December and garage car.
    Then another 195euro comes out of my account after this at start of January. I figure I'm going to be owed this back.

Quinn have a policy of only giving 10% back if you cancel in the 9th month, which I didn't realise.. And should have been told over the phone imo!
    So now I owe them 90% of the policy having only used 70% of it. 255/365.

I now owe the difference of 143euro having already paid 195euro at the start of January so it's all dead money.. It feels so rotten paying a big deposit up front and also paying 338euro afterwards. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Plus they charge an arm and a leg on interest if you pay in instalments.
    Tbh I always thought that insurance was a yearly contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Still a bit lost...
    Why did you cancel insurance at end of December and garage car. Why not finish out the policy?

I understand how you feel, especially given how high your premium was. Did you tell Quinn when you were taking out the policy that you might be cancelling early? Also (and i'm not trying to make you feel worse here!) will they now give you that year's NCB?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

not to seem to be supporting quinn....

but when you took out the policy, they gave you all the details about the policy, the terms and conditions and you agreed to these...
    now if you didn't read the terms and conditions and then decide to vary from your agreed policy, i.e cancel it, then you are liable for all the conditions imposed by the policy as set out by quinn to which you agreed to....

in short they offered you a policy, with all these stipulations on it, you accepted, more than likely didn't read all the terms about the policy and now want to give out about it....

so really IMHO... this is more your fault than theirs....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Quinn are robbing sonsabitches

the reason they are cheap initially is the "fine print"
    I was shafted by them for over 4k after an accident went court. All the wahilie my premium went through the roof for 2 years while the courts settled it.

Hibernian are by far the best to deal with althougha bit mroe expensive but you get what you pay for.

If i had my way i'd burn their offices to the ground lol

But im ginger and have a temper that matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Ended policy at end of December

Looking at this, can't see why you'd want to cancel your insurance!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I have an insurance policy with quinn. when i took it out i decided to spread the cost of the insurance over the year so i chose the installments.

Before you decide to go for this option it lists what your first payment and your monthly payments are. So it tells you what the cost will be and you choose to accept or decline it. I understand that you're frustrated with the cancellation etc but if they outline the costs before you accept the policy then how can you complain about it?

I do sympathize with you but if they outline the policy to you and you then choose to take that policy out at the offered payments then how can you complain??

robtri wrote: »
    not to seem to be supporting quinn....

but when you took out the policy, they gave you all the details about the policy, the terms and conditions and you agreed to these...
    now if you didn't read the terms and conditions and then decide to vary from your agreed policy, i.e cancel it, then you are liable for all the conditions imposed by the policy as set out by quinn to which you agreed to....

in short they offered you a policy, with all these stipulations on it, you accepted, more than likely didn't read all the terms about the policy and now want to give out about it....

so really IMHO... this is more your fault than theirs....

I cancelled my insurance with McSharryFoley when I bought my beamer.. They gave me back every cent and it was a direct debit setup just like Quinn.
    I figured you pay for what you get.. I get 70% policy, I pay 70% policy.
    When I got the car, I certainly wasn't contemplating cancelling insurance at any point.. So I didn't look at cancellation policy nor would it have caused me to not get insured.
    Looking at this, can't see why you'd want to cancel your insurance!

Rear wheel drive with no traction control.. Always bad when you hit slush and ice!

Speedway wrote: »
    I have an insurance policy with quinn. when i took it out i decided to spread the cost of the insurance over the year so i chose the installments.

Before you decide to go for this option it lists what your first payment and your monthly payments are. So it tells you what the cost will be and you choose to accept or decline it. I understand that you're frustrated with the cancellation etc but if they outline the costs before you accept the policy then how can you complain about it?

I do sympathize with you but if they outline the policy to you and you then choose to take that policy out at the offered payments then how can you complain??

This right here is the problem with boards. People can hide behind a veil of perfection and look down on anybody who makes a mistake.

I was 21 years old, I just got the car I wanted since I was 10. I could only get insured on Quinn. Now I cancel insurance to save money and over pay by near 550euro.

Yea, I really shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off?!
    It's fine print that is specific to Quinn.. That's my problem.
    Teach me to be like you and not have emotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

if you want to rant cos you didnt read the terms and conditons use the ranting and raving forum

This right here is the problem with boards. People can hide behind a veil of perfection and look down on anybody who makes a mistake.

I was 21 years old, I just got the car I wanted since I was 10. I could only get insured on Quinn. Now I cancel insurance to save money and over pay by near 550euro.

Yea, I really shouldn't be allowed to get pissed off?!
    It's fine print that is specific to Quinn.. That's my problem.
    Teach me to be like you and not have emotions.
    This isn't about emotions, it's about business. You bought a policy without checking the t&cs and you paid the price. It's a tough lesson, but it's also a valuable one.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

This isn't about emotions, it's about business. You bought a policy without checking the t&cs and you paid the price. It's a tough lesson, but it's also a valuable one.

€540 to be exact :pac:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    €540 to be exact :pac:

What I'd give for you to be in front of me right now.

Believe me, I do feel for you. But if you don't see why this happened then you leave yourself open for it to happen again. The only thing worse than making a mistake is making a mistake and then not learning from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Don't use DD next time - it's another added expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Speedway

I'm sorry mate look I sympathize with you if you can't afford your insurance etc, but am I the only one who thinks this thread is like a child throwing a tantrum and stamping their feet.

You were offered insurance at a price, then decided months later that it wasn't for you and then because you weren't allowed to break a legal financial contract you are throwing a tantrum and complaining. And to be honest the way you are replying to people on the forum here aggressively saying you wish they were standing in front of you when they give you completely accurate advice??! seriously buddy grow up. As someone said if you want to rant go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The original post made no sense either.

You've really got to read the detail in Insurance policies they can be very different when you wouldn't expect them to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tough lesson, but you sound tough so I guess you'll live.

I do feel sorry you though. I would expect any insurer to refund me cash paid on a policy I was cancelling. AXA are great like that - I changed my car half way through the year they offered me a cheque for the slight drop in insurance cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

This again.
    http://www.quinn-direct.com/documents/policydocs/motor_policy_roi.pdf

Page 16/17. General Conditions.

Cancellations are charged by monthly rates returned... look what you get back if you cancel over 9months since you took out the policy.

A number of insurers are using this method now, esp in the UK market.

Read you handbook and the T&C's

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭TheColl

title of this thread is a little misleading... i feel sorry for you OP, as you didnt realise you would have to pay this money and there's nothing worse than an unexpected large expense... but you haven't been fleeced at all, its right there in black and white in the terms and conditions of your policy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 BigBelly

First off, yeah what happened is bad and I sympathise to an extent but this condition is NOT specific to Quinn. Axa, Royal and Sun and Allianz have the same policy.
    When you dealt with a broker previously the broker had nothing to lose by refunding you on the pro rata basis. They don't pay for the standing orders with Quinn its done on a money transfer basis and little if any bank fees apply.
    Without getting into too much detail when you take out insurance a certain amount of money has to be set aside by the company for the policy and anything that may arise from that. If you cancel early they are losing out financially so you are not going to walk away without them trying to claw some of that back from you.
    However; Quinn behaved inappropriately by not advising you that you would owe them further monies and that they would be going to your bank in January for this payment. Get onto them tomorrow, speak to a manager advise them you would like them to listen to the call you initially made and explain to you why none of this was mentioned. If you had cancelled your DD when you cancelled the policy (which you should have done and should do asap) they wouldn't have received their payment. See what her explaination is and push to have some of the premium refunded or the remaining amount written off.
    Most of all OP realise that this isn't Quinns fault. I know you're 21 but if you are old enough to own, insure and drive a car then you are old enough to read the terms and conditions of this and any contract you ever enter into. Blaming someone else will not resolve the issue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement