Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Striking essential services

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

I see that Dempsey proposed that key workers should be prohibited from striking.

I somehow doubt he also proposed that key workers should be prohibited from taking holidays at time of national crisis.

Hypocritical cnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭donkey balls

dresden8 wrote: »
    I see that Dempsey proposed that key workers should be prohibited from striking.

I somehow doubt he also proposed that key workers should be prohibited from taking holidays at time of national crisis.

Hypocritical cnt.

i hope he comes out with the same crap that the IAA were regarding the amount of hours the controllers do that would be some can of worms opening on his behalf(regarding the hrs TD,s sit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

there is no denying its stressful work but they are amply compensated.
    Strike action because they have to learn and use some new software or whatever is completely over the top - aren't workers in all jobs having to constantly adapt to new systems/work practises etc for no additional re-imbursement- whats so different here?

but is it dangerous as was mooted earlier in this thread? - remember what happened to this guy:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article582890.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 82,184 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im not as clued in as the Eire readers: This is about New Equipment and training, isnt it.

In which case, they can fcuk off. I would regard changes as part of the job. I may be surprised by the answer [Dear God No] but would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something? Ridiculous.

Its not like im going to Work to Rule because my boss asks me to help him prepare tax returns.

Help I need an article before I continue talking out my ass!

there is no denying its stressful work but they are amply compensated.
    Strike action because they have to learn and use some new software or whatever is completely over the top - aren't workers in all jobs having to constantly adapt to new systems/work practises etc for no additional re-imbursement- whats so different here?

but is it dangerous as was mooted earlier in this thread? - remember what happened to this guy:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/europe/article582890.ece

we have got to look beyond the software issue sometimes new systems come in that work and sometimes they dont i have seen companies implement new systems without asking the staff that would be operating them and see them fail.
    as for the ATCO that was murdered after the mid air collision i was privy at the time to the full accident report it was very sad and the pressure on the controller was immense.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    Im not as clued in as the Eire readers: This is about New Equipment and training, isnt it.

Not entirely, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Hockney

I would regard changes as part of the job. I may be surprised by the answer [Dear God No] but would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something? Ridiculous.

Well according to IMPACT the only reason there's disruption (nobody was working for 4 hours, but ssshhhh it's not a strike) is because the IAA suspended some employees.

http://www.impact.ie/iopen24/-t-509.html

Conveniently, IMPACT don't make any reference as to why they've been suspended.

More conveniently, neither do those seemingly in the know on here.

Any questions asked about changes to work practices introduced, what the new technology involves, have been answered here along the lines of "You're full of sh1t, so I'm ignoring you".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If people want the privilege of working in critical service monopolies, they shouldn't have the right to strike. If this was privatised and there were competing alternative operators, they can strike all they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

would you expect FAS to go on strike because someone upgraded all of their PCs to Windows 7 or something?

I doubt that they'd even notice.

Not entirely, no.

Ok, it's about new equipment, training & more money.

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    If people want the privilege of working in critical service monopolies, they shouldn't have the right to strike. If this was privatised and there were competing alternative operators, they can strike all they want.
    how would that work? its not like switching from sky to say ntl or esb to bord gais.

Hockney wrote: »
    Well according to IMPACT the only reason there's disruption (nobody was working for 4 hours, but ssshhhh it's not a strike) is because the IAA suspended some employees.

http://www.impact.ie/iopen24/-t-509.html

Conveniently, IMPACT don't make any reference as to why they've been suspended.

More conveniently, neither do those seemingly in the know on here.

Any questions asked about changes to work practices introduced, what the new technology involves, have been answered here along the lines of "You're full of sh1t, so I'm ignoring you".

You're the most full of sh1t so I'm ignoring you the most, you're counting your own lack of engagement as a victory for those who refuse to engage. You're a tool. and, yes, we should refuse to engage with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭TCP/IP_King

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    How the hell are we supposed to attract foreign investment when we have crap like this going on?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/consumers-warned-not-to-eat-irish-pork-products-1056538.html

Tax payer has forked out almost €100,000,000 thus far in compo !!

You're the most full of sh1t so I'm ignoring you the most, you're counting your own lack of engagement as a victory for those who refuse to engage. You're a tool. and, yes, we should refuse to engage with you.

Reaching new levels of reasoned argument on boards.ie

what has that link got to do with the ATCO dispute

Probably to do with workers are paying for managment fnck ups and any workers who dare to speak up are scum who are trying to destroy our "internatinal reputation" by looking to be paid for work.

Apparently working for free is the new black. Ironically.

In the interest of informed opinion - the ATCO dispute is only a small part of the inept management of this country in the past two years. And with informed opinion, maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.

In the interest of informed opinion - the ATCO dispute is only a small part of the inept management of this country in the past two years. And with informed opinion, maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.
    from reading through alot of the posts here people are resorting to the red top rags for there information&MOL me i worked in the industry and have a fair idea whats involved to be an ATCO

maybe we will get less people on higher horses than the ones they call muppets - especially when they comment on an industry they have absolutely no experience of.

I've never played professional soccer, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion on the relative merits of a footballer.

Advertisement