Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play Halo and help Haiti

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Don't forget that 100% profit from all Bungie items on their store webiste are going to Haiti too and have been since the disaster happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

And if i had said that then you would be right but i didn't. I didn't denounce Bungie for donating money i commended them on it, i denounced them for their shameless product placement.

And raising awareness ? Come on people couldn't be more aware

Shameless product placement? Theyre asking people who already own it, to play it. Thats not product placement, thats asking peopl to play a game they already own. And as for saving money on an ESB bill, WTF? Youre making no sense and youre obviosuly stuck in some kind of rage against the machine style rant against the 'big corporations' or some crap.

You can sit and sulk about bungie 'promoting thier game through a disaster', while the rest of us will fire up a game or two, at no cost to us, and help do something no matter how small for the people of Haiti. As i say, if youre that annoyed by it, just go donate some money yourself and quit whining.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

well screw the cynics im going on today and getting all the accounts in my house to go on also for a game. If any thing it will make my 11 year old son feel he is doing somthing to help seeing as there is little else he can do to help the cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

0ubliette wrote: »
    Shameless product placement? Theyre asking people who already own it, to play it. Thats not product placement, thats asking peopl to play a game they already own. And as for saving money on an ESB bill, WTF? Youre making no sense and youre obviosuly stuck in some kind of rage against the machine style rant against the 'big corporations' or some crap.

You can sit and sulk about bungie 'promoting thier game through a disaster', while the rest of us will fire up a game or two, at no cost to us, and help do something no matter how small for the people of Haiti. As i say, if youre that annoyed by it, just go donate some money yourself and quit whining.

You dont understand product placement thats very clear. You understand that Halo is a brand now and that there is a game coming out this year ?

What would you say if a cola brand sponsored a news reporter so you had the reporter standing next to a homeless family that are starving in Hati wearing a baseball hat with the cola logo on it, had a T shirt with the logo on it and was drinking a can saying oh that refreshing taste after every sentence. I guess you would think thats ok and that the cola is actually raising awareness of the problem and not using someones mysery to promote the drink because this is the main news story at the moment.

Its not a rant about corporations its a rant about responsible corporate advertising. Why didn't Bungie just donate some money? They wouldnt do that because that doesn't get their product out there and if you are naive enough to think that Bungie arent promoting the Halo brand by linking it the the biggest news story at the moment then nothing i say will change that.

I hope you do play Halo and i hope the 6 cent you earn for the people in Hati helps the cause. I have never once said raising the money is a bad thing (which you seem to keep ignoring) I just wish Bungie hadn't turned it into a cheap ad for their brand thats all.

well screw the cynics im going on today and getting all the accounts in my house to go on also for a game. If any thing it will make my 11 year old son feel he is doing somthing to help seeing as there is little else he can do to help the cause.

Or you could give him 60 cent to drop into the Red cross bucket which would be 10 times more generous and would be a good lesson about helping others without having to get something in return. A lesson that may stay with him for life.

• Advertisement

Or you could give him 60 cent to drop into the Red cross bucket which would be 10 times more generous and would be a good lesson about helping others without having to get something in return. A lesson that may stay with him for life.

well if I actually see one some place i will be putting way more than 60 cent in. Its just somthing he can do today and make him aware of the crisis.....

You dont understand product placement thats very clear. You understand that Halo is a brand now and that there is a game coming out this year ?

What would you say if a cola brand sponsored a news reporter so you had the reporter standing next to a homeless family that are starving in Hati wearing a baseball hat with the cola logo on it, had a T shirt with the logo on it and was drinking a can saying oh that refreshing taste after every sentence. I guess you would think thats ok and that the cola is actually raising awareness of the problem and not using someones mysery to promote the drink because this is the main news story at the moment.

Its not a rant about corporations its a rant about responsible corporate advertising. Why didn't Bungie just donate some money? They wouldnt do that because that doesn't get their product out there and if you are naive enough to think that Bungie arent promoting the Halo brand by linking it the the biggest news story at the moment then nothing i say will change that.

I hope you do play Halo and i hope the 6 cent you earn for the people in Hati helps the cause. I have never once said raising the money is a bad thing (which you seem to keep ignoring) I just wish Bungie hadn't turned it into a cheap ad for their brand thats all.

Bungie arent advertising anything, theres no mention of Halo reach, no mention of buying anything, theyre not asking anyone for ANY MONEY. Theyre asking existing customers to play for 2 days and do a little something to help a good cause. Show me an advertisment somewhere with HEY KIDS!! PLAY HALO AND SEND 6 CENTS TO HAITI!!! BUY A COPY FOR YOUR FRIENDS TOO!! LOVE, BUNGIE on it, and maybe then ill come around to your completely skewed view of this scenario.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Rev on one hand Bungie could just donate money privately (and how do you know they haven't?) and there's no hullabaloo.

On the other hand they can get the public involved and raise awareness about the issue and create a potential knock-on effect of making players decide to donate themselves. For every 1000 gamers playing you might find a few who log on Unicef.ie or whatever and make a small donation themselves after seeing the impact of busy servers.

No matter what way you twist it the bottom line is the people in Haiti are getting more relief. And that's all that matters regardless of Bungie's standing in your eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

What would you say if a cola brand sponsored a news reporter so you had the reporter standing next to a homeless family that are starving in Hati wearing a baseball hat with the cola logo on it, had a T shirt with the logo on it and was drinking a can saying oh that refreshing taste after every sentence.

Yeah because that's identical to this situation. :rolleyes:
    No matter what way you twist it the bottom line is the people in Haiti are getting more relief. And that's all that matters regardless of Bungie's standing in your eyes.

Exactly, it's a shame the bleeding hearts tear any kind of good out of the whole thing. I wonder did the complainers actually contribute anything to the cause themselves seeing as they care so much.

Bungie arent advertising anything, theres no mention of Halo reach, no mention of buying anything, theyre not asking anyone for ANY MONEY. Theyre asking existing customers to play for 2 days and do a little something to help a good cause. Show me an advertisment somewhere with HEY KIDS!! PLAY HALO AND SEND 6 CENTS TO HAITI!!! BUY A COPY FOR YOUR FRIENDS TOO!! LOVE, BUNGIE on it, and maybe then ill come around to your completely skewed view of this scenario.

Now i don't know if you are just not capable of understanding what they are doing or you are just trolling to get a reaction. The aggressive stance you took and the way you have approached the thread makes me think you are just trolling looking for a reaction. Thats why instead of making any valid points you just say thing's like "you make no sense" :rolleyes:

As for your show me the ad ? bit, this just proves you dont know what is happening here. Why does coke pay hefty sums to have the judges on american idol sip from coke glasses ? would you ask me to show you the ad there or to show you where coke are saying hey kids drink coke its great.

Its called product placement Bungie realise this is a massive story if they can link their brand to the story its massive exposure for their brand.

Anyway this is pointless its just going around in circles, from a moral stand point i think its wrong to use a tragedy like this to promote your brand you clearly think this is fine. People are different. I wont be playing Halo as i can afford to donate 6 cent directly. If you are unable to afford the 6 cent donation directly then go ahead and play Halo.

• Advertisement

Asmodean wrote: »
    Yeah because that's identical to this situation. :rolleyes:

Exactly, it's a shame the bleeding hearts tear any kind of good out of the whole thing. I wonder did the complainers actually contribute anything to the cause themselves seeing as they care so much.

No its a comparison its not meant to be identical. An identical situation would be another developer promoting their own brand while reporting on Hati.

In The Bungie Article they mention Bungie, Halo, Halo 3, Halo ODST, The Halo store, The Halo t-shirts, The Halo hoodies, The Halo, bags. Do you think they mentioned Halo enough in their article about raising funds for Hati ?

Your 2nd point is a contradiction, its the bleeding hearts that give their money to these funds hence the name, because they can empathise with the people affected. (ie my heart bleeds for them) They just give the money they don't attach conditions to the giving, they don't say ill give 100 euro if you get 1000 people to look at my product if no one looks then your getting no money. Which is what Bungie have done !!

Now i don't know if you are just not capable of understanding what they are doing or you are just trolling to get a reaction. The aggressive stance you took and the way you have approached the thread makes me think you are just trolling looking for a reaction. Thats why instead of making any valid points you just say thing's like "you make no sense" :rolleyes:

As for your show me the ad ? bit, this just proves you dont know what is happening here. Why does coke pay hefty sums to have the judges on american idol sip from coke glasses ? would you ask me to show you the ad there or to show you where coke are saying hey kids drink coke its great.

Its called product placement Bungie realise this is a massive story if they can link their brand to the story its massive exposure for their brand.

Anyway this is pointless its just going around in circles, from a moral stand point i think its wrong to use a tragedy like this to promote your brand you clearly think this is fine. People are different. I wont be playing Halo as i can afford to donate 6 cent directly. If you are unable to afford the 6 cent donation directly then go ahead and play Halo.

I say things like 'you make no sense', because frankly, youre not making any ****ing sense. you seem to miss the point time and time again that bungie arent, and have never, asked for any money from anyone for this. Theyre not shifting extra copies of Halo thanks to this.
    But whatever, keep raging against those big corporate fat cats and their product placement which is apparrently all in your head.
    In The Bungie Article they mention Bungie, Halo, Halo 3, Halo ODST, The Halo store, The Halo t-shirts, The Halo hoodies, The Halo, bags. Do you think they mentioned Halo enough in their article about raising funds for Hati ?
    Because 100% of all profits from these items go to Haiti aid relief?? Perhaps thats why they mention it? Jesus, ****. Read the damn article instead of skimming it and coming back with a retarded opinion.

I say things like 'you make no sense', because frankly, youre not making any ****ing sense. you seem to miss the point time and time again that bungie arent, and have never, asked for any money from anyone for this. Theyre not shifting extra copies of Halo thanks to this.
    But whatever, keep raging against those big corporate fat cats and their product placement which is apparrently all in your head.

Because 100% of all profits from these items go to Haiti aid relief?? Perhaps thats why they mention it? Jesus, ****. Read the damn article instead of skimming it and coming back with a retarded opinion.

I never once made the point nor any reference to the point that they are looking for money from anyone :confused:

Your cool can i be your friend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

of course all of this is promotion for bungie. Of course they are taking advantage of the horrible situation in an attempt to take back some of the mw2 players. But who gives a sh1t.

At the end of it all the money goes to something very important. If you get a swelled head because you play today, fair play to you, but it does nt matter. All that matters is the money that is made goes to haiti where it is needed

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭PG4000

I don't see this as bungie using a disaster to promote their product. I see it as bungie using their product to help promote and raise awareness of a disaster and fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

PG4000 wrote: »
    I don't see this as bungie using a disaster to promote their product. I see it as bungie using their product to help promote and raise awareness of a disaster and fair play to them.

You're being naive tbh. Halo's numbers are down after MW2... this is Bungie clawing back people just before the Reach campaign hits fever pitch. If they were truly helping they wouldn't set a cap on the donation they'd give, and be a bit more generous with the donation. Keep in mind they've made MILLIONS off us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Yeah $77,000 seems a bit cheap considering the amount of money halo has made. Plus they need 770,000 people to play for that amount to be donated.

Still though, I haven't heard activision or infinity ward making a similar offer. They could give up some of the bazillion dollars they made this year.

any corps that donate to hati will make a point of trying to let every one know about it, but will that really make any difference to the people in hati who need the help, will they care where it came from?

So i for one did my bit last night and bungi made nothing from me as a result as I already owned the games.

On a side note i havent seen any one collecting for hati but when i do i indent to donate some cash, did bunji have any thing to do with me doing that, well perhaps they have......

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭OhThePenguin

Bungie: While we didn’t quite reach the lofty goal we set for ourselves, we’re still gonna kick in the maximum amount and as of right now, between our “Be a Hero” Halo matchmaking and Bungie Store campaigns, together we’ve generated, drumroll…

…over $100,000.

Fair play! Say what you want but at the end of the day the money is goin to a good cause and thats all that matters

Advertisement