Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Play Halo and help Haiti

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

good idea, gonna crank it back up on wed/thurs so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Anyone else think this is really scummy to piggy back on the back of a disaster to promote your game !! Why not just donate money and say nothing about Halo 3 or ODST. surely they made enough money from flogging sub standard expansion packs as full games to just be able to donate and shut up.

I wonder how true it is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Anyone else think this is really scummy to piggy back on the back of a disaster to promote your game !! Why not just donate money and say nothing about Halo 3 or ODST. surely they made enough money from flogging sub standard expansion packs as full games to just be able to donate and shut up.

I wonder how true it is ?

no, don't feel like that at all, probably because i'm not one of those people who bash halo/bungie/microsoft at every chance i get. Theyre trying to do something for Haiti, which involves everyone that plays their games, which i think is a nice idea.

Dont see many other developers doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I see Rev. Kitchen's point and it opens up debate for how companies should approach this kind of thing. I'd like to see that debate with all its pros and cons, but let's not get into it here - it'll get messy:D.

Do yer best to make sure that company has to hand over the total $77,000 to the cause ;-) Somehow keep an eye on their report afterwards and see if a cheque is handed over. Enjoy the sponsored gaming on weds/thurs in the meantime.

Korvanica wrote: »
    no, don't feel like that at all, probably because i'm not one of those people who bash halo/bungie/microsoft at every chance i get. Theyre trying to do something for Haiti, which involves everyone that plays their games, which i think is a nice idea.

Dont see many other developers doing this.

You don't have to be a Halo basher to feel using a disaster to promote your game is low. Maybe you haven't heard of other developers donating because they just gave some money and didn't try to plug their products at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Lands Leaving

I agree with Rev. Kitchen to a point, it is a fairly cynical way of making people return to your game, which I can imagine has seen a lot less people playing it post MW2

But, and while I'm sure Bungie's main concern is the above, the idea that people play the game to raise money also means that people (like on this site) will tell others about it and hopefully raise awareness about the issue in general. The more people who are aware that Haiti needs donations the better. So while it is a corporate, cold, cynical way to get me to play, I still will!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

hmmm... thinking further about their 'promotion' it does seem shameless.
    If I heard an ad on the radio saying:

"come on down to Jim Jim motors this weekend for a test drive and we'll be donating $1 for every person who takes a spin in our cars, up to $77000"

- it is using the cause for self-promotion, in that case to publicise the motor company and sell more cars. By-product of it is Haiti get a few bob.

If you are prepared to give $77000 - then just hand it over and say you've donated something?

Had the whole Halo promotion been a sponsored Halo'athon from some Halo fans - that would be a different story.

Starting to :mad: me off more I think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I can see the negative points associated with this but hell I think the real message is people all coming together to support a cause. You could argue that why do any big corporations etc hold fundraisers at all when they could just give the money in the first place.
    It's a good idea though for people who may not have enough money to donate but want to offer something.
    IIRC there was a similar event associated with CoD a month or so ago, was for children in need or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's not like they're looking to increase sales with this. If they were then I'd complain but I don't see how they're going to profit from this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

Shameless advertising imo. they could have donated the money wiithout requiring people to play instead of trying to boost their online player numbers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Can i just ask, how many people bitching about this being shameless self promotion have donated to any Haiti aid charities?

Im willing to bet not many. So you think its terrible that out of the thousands of halo players, the vast majority of who will not have donated any money, that bungie are willing to donate a few grand if they play a game they already own for 2 days? Its not like theyre asking people to run out and BUY a copy of Halo, and bungie arent making any money off of this, they dont get paid per person playing Halo. If they did, they'd be richer than microsoft. I think its just ridiculously cynical to say that when someone offers to pay money in return for you playing a game you already own, you assume its 'shameless elf promotion'.

Ill fire up a game of ODST myself anyway, not liek its going to do any harm.

0ubliette wrote: »
    'shameless elf promotion'.

12070.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

This kind of thing happens in most industry sectors.. associating the company with a charity, the "for every bottle of our water you buy, we'll donate 5c to charity" promotions etc..

I don't have any problem with it really, and Ill be playing ODST tomorrow. Like 0ubliette said, what harm can it do

Can i just ask, how many people bitching about this being shameless self promotion have donated to any Haiti aid charities?

Im willing to bet not many. So you think its terrible that out of the thousands of halo players, the vast majority of who will not have donated any money, that bungie are willing to donate a few grand if they play a game they already own for 2 days? Its not like theyre asking people to run out and BUY a copy of Halo, and bungie arent making any money off of this, they dont get paid per person playing Halo. If they did, they'd be richer than microsoft. I think its just ridiculously cynical to say that when someone offers to pay money in return for you playing a game you already own, you assume its 'shameless elf promotion'.

Ill fire up a game of ODST myself anyway, not liek its going to do any harm.

Why not just give the money and not say anything. Or if they want the warm feeling you get inside from telling everyone about your charity donations then just give the money and say we have donated 77,000 to the fund on behalf of the Halo community.

Also they need this money now (well last week really) But Bungie are saying "sorry Hati i know you are home less and starving to death we will send you some money at the end of the week when we are finished playing Halo".

BTW Microsoft pay them ! People pay microsoft they need about 770,000 people to play, they all need to pay 4 euro to microsoft for live. Microsoft get over 3 million. Microsoft pay Bungie to make games that keep people playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Why not just give the money and not say anything. Or if they want the warm feeling you get inside from telling everyone about your charity donations then just give the money and say we have donated 77,000 to the fund on behalf of the Halo community.

Also they need this money now (well last week really) But Bungie are saying "sorry Hati i know you are home less and starving to death we will send you some money at the end of the week when we are finished playing Halo".

BTW Microsoft pay them ! People pay microsoft they need about 770,000 people to play, they all need to pay 4 euro to microsoft for live. Microsoft get over 3 million. Microsoft pay Bungie to make games that keep people playing online.

Why does any charity fund raiser happen then eh? Why didnt bob geldof just go door to door collecting for concern instead of organising live aid?

Maybe people who cant afford to pay any money to charity can feel like theyre making some kind of an effort, no matter how small?

Yes they need money now but theyre also going to need money in the long term. This crisis wont end on Friday and everythings back to normal. Also, thier government and the rest of the worlds arent exactly making speedy with the relief money, so im sure they'll take whatever they can get, whenever it arrives. Maybe advertising it for a day or two might get a few thousand more players and more money? Ever consider that?

I read this about 3 times and still have no idea WTF its supposed to mean. Are you complaining that people in Bungie are paid a wage? Try making sense the next time. I assume you're aware of all the money Microsoft donate to charities every year without bragging about it?

If youre that indignant about someone trying to raise some money for Haiti by getting people to play a video game, i suggest you go find yourself a Concern or GOAL office and give them a few quid out of your own pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I think it's a good idea. I'd imagine it's aimed at the people who have the game already, and want to feel they have helped in some way, in a fun manner. Gives them an excuse to play Halo, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Why does any charity fund raiser happen then eh? Why didnt bob geldof just go door to door collecting for concern instead of organising live aid?

Maybe people who cant afford to pay any money to charity can feel like theyre making some kind of an effort, no matter how small?

Yes they need money now but theyre also going to need money in the long term. This crisis wont end on Friday and everythings back to normal. Also, thier government and the rest of the worlds arent exactly making speedy with the relief money, so im sure they'll take whatever they can get, whenever it arrives. Maybe advertising it for a day or two might get a few thousand more players and more money? Ever consider that?

I read this about 3 times and still have no idea WTF its supposed to mean. Are you complaining that people in Bungie are paid a wage? Try making sense the next time. I assume you're aware of all the money Microsoft donate to charities every year without bragging about it?

If youre that indignant about someone trying to raise some money for Haiti by getting people to play a video game, i suggest you go find yourself a Concern or GOAL office and give them a few quid out of your own pocket.

I think he's trying to say that it will increase Xbox live gold subscriptions for Microsoft. You need to pay 60 squid for Xbox live in order to play online.

(1) Maybe people who cant afford to pay any money to charity can feel like theyre making some kind of an effort, no matter how small?

(2) Maybe advertising it for a day or two might get a few thousand more players and more money? Ever consider that?

(3)I read this about 3 times and still have no idea WTF its supposed to mean. Are you complaining that people in Bungie are paid a wage? Try making sense the next time. I assume you're aware of all the money Microsoft donate to charities every year without bragging about it?

A few points so ill go through them even though your are really missing the point.

(1). True its a very good way for people who after buying an Xbox, TV, Halo, Broadband connection & Xbox live, have no money left to donate the 6 cent Bungie will donate for them if they log in and play Halo. Getting people to not Play Halo and donate the money they save on the ESB would generate more money.

(2) Why put that in place at all ? listen to what you are saying if more people play then they will give more money ie. the more people to use our product the more money we will give !! Why not just give the money no matter how many people play ?? They could say we are donating this amount on your behalf show your support by using this logo. Dont have any link to the number of people playing to the amount of cash donated.

(3) It makes perfect sense, You claimed that Bungie make no money out of this deal. But the truth is they are paid to get people to play games online so yes they do make money of it. More people on xbox live = more money for Bungie

And you are missing the point completly its not that they are giving the money thats good. Its the fact they are using a major tragedy to promote their product. By linking the amount of money given to the number of people that use their product, is what people are upset about not that they are giving money to the fund.

I am aware of the money Microsoft gives to charity and thats good its good because they dont brag about it. They just do it. This is my point, your actually arguing my point for me now !!. They dont say things like we will only donate to charity next year if 1 million people buy Windows !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

I have HALO 3 already, im going to play tomorrow, few lads i know will do the same, whats the problem? Nobodys going to run out and buy halo because of this, yeah it gets their name about but who cares, just play for a good cause!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I doubt there are too many people who are going to buy this game as a result of this effort so anyone who says Bungie are cashing in on the disaster are a little off the mark.

It's an innovative way to encourage a company to donate and all the punter has to do is sit on his couch and play a few rounds of a game they obviously already own. Fair play I say and it would good to see more of it.

And the idea that Bungie are going to make money based on an increase in players online I severely doubt they make more than $100 for every thousand people who are playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Too true, and maybe this will open a few more peoples (halo players) eyes as to the scale of this disaster. Encouraging them to maybe donate more towards the cause.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Korvanica wrote: »
    Too true, and maybe this will open a few more peoples (halo players) eyes as to the scale of this disaster. Encouraging them to maybe donate more towards the cause.

Exactly. Bungie are raising awareness in their own community in a fun way. They hardly stand to profit from this and they're giving 100% of the money from the t-shirt sales to the cause too. At the end of the day some people who really need help right now are going to get a big cheque so thats why you'll see me online tomorrow.

Rev. Kitchen needs to shut the f**k up.:mad: I can't believe someone would have the gall to come on here and blatantly denounce Bungie and their community for trying to do some good in this tough world.

You're really missing Rev's point, it's not that they're giving money or not, it's that they are using the disaster as a way to promote their company, rather than simply giving the money. It's nice that they are giving something, but they are also gaining publicity from it, which is a fairly cynical way of donating.

Raising awareness is good of course, but it's not necessary to raise awareness of their games at the same time.

They may not directly profit, but they do gain a lot of positive PR, which is currency in itself.

I'll still dig out my copy of Halo 3, but only because I'm one more person towards the full amount donated. I don't agree with their methods.

Rev isn't denouncing them for doing some good, but for trying to benefit from it. A disaster shouldn't help advertise your company. Ever.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Who did they promote it to only their own community? Do you think they're gaining anything by selling what they've already sold? Rev. may not be condemning it but he sure as hell isn't supporting it. He could have said "thats a nice idea" but instead he started to pry and pick holes in it. I'm sorry but if thats the first place your mind goes to then you're part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

How can people criticize Bungie for this? Do you see any other developers, or anyone in the entire entertainment industry for that matter doing anything remotely similar to help?

No.

And as far as promoting the game...It couldn't get any bigger as it is.

Rob2D wrote: »
    Exactly. Bungie are raising awareness in their own community in a fun way. They hardly stand to profit from this and they're giving 100% of the money from the t-shirt sales to the cause too. At the end of the day some people who really need help right now are going to get a big cheque so thats why you'll see me online tomorrow.

Rev. Kitchen needs to shut the f**k up.:mad: I can't believe someone would have the gall to come on here and blatantly denounce Bungie and their community for trying to do some good in this tough world.

And if i had said that then you would be right but i didn't. I didn't denounce Bungie for donating money i commended them on it, i denounced them for their shameless product placement.

And raising awareness ? Come on people couldn't be more aware

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Shameless product placement? Hmm...what's the first thing you think of when someone says Bungie? Halo!

And as far as Microsoft generating income out of this...nowhere does it say you have to be Gold. Just connected to Live.

They would have been better giving the 77,000 straight up rather than making conditions, then giving players some way to actively donate through their website or a red cross link or something, than making people feel as if they're donating by playing the game. It's just a PR exercise, that's why I think it's a bit cynical. Again, I'll be playing because of the conditions attached to their donations, but that leaves me feeling a little cold rather than warm and fuzzy. (as someone else said!)

I'd like to think that whoever thought the idea up was genuinely hoping to help, but with the upper limit on donations rather than just donating, say, €2 for everyone who plays with no limit, seems like some PR exec came up with the idea to smooth over the ODST debacle. (It's an add on sold as a full game for the confused)

If they had just said we'll give €x amount per player, then the community would genuinely be making a difference and the effort gamers make would count for something more than just pushing a company to give the most they possibly could part with from their enormous coffers.

And lots of other companies are donating straight up. Which is a nicer way of doing things because it doesn't have the intention of making the consumer feel a sense of attachment to the company because they 'helped' it donate.

I CAN see why people are saying it's good. At least they're doing something, which is better than nothing, but there are better ways, that's all I'm getting at.

Also if they don't actually give the full amount regardless of how many people play, what will you think then?

armour87 wrote: »
    Hmm...what's the first thing you think of when someone says Bungie?

'I'm not gonna jump off anything with just an elastic band around my legs!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

**** all yer winging,,,its for a goood cause

Advertisement