Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help house mates gf has just moved in and doesnt want to share bills

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Was it advertised on daft.ie that the house had a washing machine and a dryer, how does someone epxect to get tenants if they don''t have a washing machine:eek:.
    It had those fancy door cupboards over everything and the kitchen was a good size so I couldn't see them on a glance around
    either that or it was just a dryer i was asking about - i don't remember - either way i was asking something simple he didn't have a clue about :D the mammy bit was enough to scare me off though
    I went looking at a place about 8 months and the house was an absolute dump that lloked like it hadn't been done up in years, I reckon the landlord probably got some immigrants to move in, needless to say I declined.
    yeah some scammer landlord advertised a house on daft as 3-4 people - about 4 couples and a few lads on top of that as well - lucky i got there early and they let me in before the LL had a chance to lie about it - they didn't even have a sittingroom cos he'd converted it into another bedroom
    some scary places out there
    anyway sorry for derailing ill shut up !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

It's always a problem when somebody else's OH moves in and they gripe about splitting the bills. I don't see the problem in splitting the bills equally between the individuals, regardless of how many people are sharing a room. When I was an undergrad at college and two of us shared a room and the other person had their own room, we still split the bills equally. The thought never crossed my mind that I should pay less because I shared a room. Pretty much the same way that I paid 2 week's rent and one-third of the total of all bills when I stayed with my OH for 2 weeks. I'm an extra person there, the ESB would probably have gone up (nominally, as I was working 10 hour days and was only there in the evening, but I still used my laptop, hairdryer, shower and clothes washer) and I also used broadband, so I paid my fair share.

I know that people are trying to save money, etc. but it really annoys me how people don't want to pay their fair share and want others to pay for their use of ESB, gas, etc. (a bit like the electricity and gas junkie who refuses to pay extra on their bills even though they are the ones who continuously have the heating on, and leave their laptop and desktop on 24/7, forget to turn off lights, and like to have their gigantic lavalamp on for hours every day).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Although Victor's post above seems to be very clinical and perhaps more scientific, I prefer the auld:
    Rent split between rooms in proportion to size
    Bills split between everyone, no exceptions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭billybigunz

eilo1 wrote: »
    hey everyone,
    sorry for leaving it so long,
    But the couple refused to have a house meeting about it and the landlords son just wouldnt budge on it.
    So myself and the other single house mate moved out together!
    we now have a nice two bed with much cheaper bills and no annoying couples.
    It was kind of sad but honestly who could think its fair to live in a house and not contribute to the bills!
    ps. the house was huge and the bills massive! so it wasnt just a few euro........

Lovely. I hope they lose out on a huge amount of rent and the landlord goes through his son for being such an idiot.

Advertisement