Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help house mates gf has just moved in and doesnt want to share bills

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Please help,
    I live with 3 others but my house mates girlfriend is moving in with us aswell. This is fine however they dont want to split the bills by 4.
    I have argued that the electricity is going to go up and they have agreed to split that, but they say that the heating and sky and broadband are staying the same price and there fore they shouldnt contribute any more.
    There argument is that they are sharing a room so its not costing any more.
    I think this is very unfair as we are now sharing the facilities in the house but paying half the price of the rest of us.

All opinions welcome!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

There was a recent post similar to this, tell them they can only watch sky one at a time!

Call a house meeting and tell them that the three of yee are very unhappy especially in times like this when money is tight with everyone, and that its only fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

No damn way is that ok

Everyone in a houseshare pays the same.
    And if the landlord finds out and they pay by the room then their rent will probably increase.

Now fair enough about the broadband if they didn't ask for it to be installed and never use it and it can't be accessed in their room
    But everyone uses heating so they have to pay for this.
    As for Sky and you were my housemate and got in Sky without asking me I wouldn't pay for it. But if it was there to begin with then that's different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭eilo1

its complicated because my house mates dad ownes the house
    so he is on the couples side (its his best friend)
    so there are only 2 of us annoyed.
    I like everyone i live with but do feel like im being taken advantage of.
    I really dont want to fall out with anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

move out.

OR

refuse to pay for heating, saying you'll wear a jacket instead and that the rad is off in your room, then refuse to pay for sky, choosing to watch it only when someone else has the remote, and only go online by looking over other peoples shoulders, then you wont need to pay for BB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,091 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So she is moving in permanently? She should pay...my ex lived with me for a summer...she didn't pay much, but at least that was temporary.

• Advertisement

she is moving in permanently, they are saying that the bill go on a room by room basis, but that cant be right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭sickpuppy

The brass neck of some people.
    I think your best option is to move out especially as one other house mates dad owns the gaff and hes not on your side.

Depending on your age anyhow living with couples can be a nightmare hog the couch the tv think they own the place from my experience.

Sound lile a right inconsiderate clueless pair of gimps fcuking chancers
    tell them to get stuffed and tell the landlord why your moving too no shortage of acomm going now without that messing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

eilo1 wrote: »
    Please help,
    I live with 3 others but my house mates girlfriend is moving in with us aswell. This is fine however they dont want to split the bills by 4.
    I have argued that the electricity is going to go up and they have agreed to split that, but they say that the heating and sky and broadband are staying the same price and there fore they shouldnt contribute any more.
    There argument is that they are sharing a room so its not costing any more.
    I think this is very unfair as we are now sharing the facilities in the house but paying half the price of the rest of us.

All opinions welcome!!

What a joke, some people are so used to living with mammy they become clueless and ignorant when it comes to living in the real world.

Now I'm not generally a violent guy but but people like that make me want to smack them in the face with a wet salmon.

Bills are split equally by number of occupants, no exceptions.

My advice would be to move out, the short-term hassles involved with moving out would be a lot more agreeable then the long-term annoyance of living with people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I don't understand how this boyfriend is happy enough to let her not pay anything towards the house.
    I don't care how much I love someone/am close to them/best friends, if they were moving in they sure as hell would be helping with the bills!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

As suggested by others - move out. There's loads of acc available at the moment. The selfish *people* will have to make up the balance then in any case. Not too many people looking for house share at this time of the year so hopefully they'll get stung.

• Advertisement

As suggested by others - move out. There's loads of acc available at the moment. The selfish *people* will have to make up the balance then in any case. Not too many people looking for house share at this time of the year so hopefully they'll get stung.

If that is the case then the OP could get stung?? :confused:
    It might be worth one more shot at talking things through in a calm manner with everyone there.
    If the OP moves out that could also cause him problems friendship wise with these people.
    There is another house mate there who agrees with him so maybe he could move out with the OP into different accmodation.
    There are loads of rooms for rent all over!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Hey man same ****e different day for me. Just tell them no, if not tell them that the 3 of ye will move out, either that or just move out and tell the ladlord your man breaking lease by moving in the bitch. End of story, Some people are soo mean and petty. **** sake €30 a month thats all it would cost her probable. Just cut the cables to the room and dont give an inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Move four of your mates in for the week. :pac: See how the tone changes.

Why isn't she paying for broadband? Will she not be using it? Will the heat be turned off when she is there?

Have them look at this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603 Its not something you created.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭madmac187

Victor wrote: »
    Move four of your mates in for the week. :pac: See how the tone changes.

Why isn't she paying for broadband? Will she not be using it? Will the heat be turned off when she is there?

Have them look at this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054867603 Its not something you created.

Epic man, move mates in for a week or have mad sessions every night, bring the loudest lout around that you can find..

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

madmac187 wrote: »
    the bitch. .... Just cut the cables to the room and dont give an inch.
    Abusive language and advocating criminal damage aren't acceptable.

I had this when I shared with my ex. We had a spare room, and money was tight, so we got in a renter. they paid 40% of bills and we paid 60%. Worked out that we were paying less than him, but more on a per room basis.

This is off the tip of my head here.

I would recommend that they pay 34% of bills and the rest of you 3 pay 66% between you or 22% each
    You pay less than you usually would (25%)
    They pay less than if the bills were split 5 ways (20%)

So in a nutshell:
    ESB comes in.
    It's MIRACULOUSLY €100 on the noggin
    You pay €22
    Your single mate pays: €22
    Your other single mate pays: €22
    The boyfriend pays: €17
    The girlfriend pays: €17

Grand total: €100!

If they don't agree to that, they're selfish feckers and one of you should move out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

You pay the new ratio and don't give in. Easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,489 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Surely she can't move in unless all the people in the house agree to it:confused:
    I know there is no way I'd let someone move in without consent, especially since their name won't be anywhere on lease etc and they can dodge all responsibilities if anything were to go wrong.

Insist they split bills 5 ways or tell them to get out, simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Bills per person - NOT per room.
    They are being totally unreasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭crocro

This is a common problem: people living together, one gets a live-in partner and problems ensue. The way to avoid in future is through having a 1 page agreement covering this kind of instance that everyone signs (including the owner if he lives there).

I used to let a room and the agreement said no guests for more than a week without agreement from everyone. It wasn't the bills I was worried about more that I just might not get on with the new person.

As the OP did not discuss and agree this predictable situation in advance I recommend chalking it down to experience and moving out.

• Advertisement

its complicated because my house mates dad ownes the house
    so he is on the couples side (its his best friend)
    so there are only 2 of us annoyed.

There's another thing to NEVER ever do again.
    Live in a house that belongs to a housemates relative! Or anyones relative. Family connections to the house is never a good idea. Whoever is closest to the family will always be favourite.

Have you tried talking to them again? Let us know how you get on!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭havana

I had this too years ago and just had to put my foot down. Is she not going to use the washing machine? The shower? Are they planning on joining at the hip? If not chances are they will at some stage be in seperate rooms, hence double the electricity, cook seperately, go the the bathroom alone:-)

i just don't get the way some peoples minds work sometimes...

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭who what when

You should move a romanian family into your room for a week!
    See how they feel about that!

hey everyone,
    sorry for leaving it so long,
    But the couple refused to have a house meeting about it and the landlords son just wouldnt budge on it.
    So myself and the other single house mate moved out together!
    we now have a nice two bed with much cheaper bills and no annoying couples.
    It was kind of sad but honestly who could think its fair to live in a house and not contribute to the bills!
    ps. the house was huge and the bills massive! so it wasnt just a few euro........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

hey everyone,
    But the couple refused to have a house meeting about it and the landlords son just wouldnt budge on it.
    It was kind of sad but honestly who could think its fair to live in a house and not contribute to the bills!
    ps. the house was huge and the bills massive! so it wasnt just a few euro........

Congrats, best thing to do, thanks for the update!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

hey everyone,

Brilliant!!! I've only come across this thread now. I was in a similar situation once, except I was never given the courtesy of being told that the bf had moved in. I kept my mouth shut so as not to rock the boat. and because they were nice people that I got on with. Plus rent was generally pretty high at the time. My house mate's father owned the house, so I was getting pretty reasonable rent . I found out afterwards that she didn't pay rent so obviously neither did he. Thus, they managed to save a wad of money and bought the house from the father in the end! What really píssed me off is that I used to be away during the summer for three months......and yet I was still paying half the bills. Which is fine cos I signed the contract but Mr Boyfriend never paid at all!!!

It used to drive me especially mad when I'd see him drinking my milk or using my butter!!!:D (I wouldn't normally get worked up about something like this but the fact that he never offered to pay me for anything) Or when he stayed ages in the shower in the morning time when I was trying to get in so I could go to work. One night I had a friend over. We were drinking wine in the kitchen and it was Christmas. My house mate was away and Mr Boyfriend came out and asked us to be quiet. What an idiot!!

I realise now that it's such a dishonest thing to do. They might as well just be putting their hands in my purse and stealing my money. They were totally playing on my naievity. I have no respect now for greedy people like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

Lesson for everyone, if at all possible don't move in with someone who has a relative as a landlord or move in with friends, a mate of mine asked me did I want to rent out a room, I immediately declined. Fair play to you elio, you were right to move out same with one of your roommates. Have the other roomates managed to get anyone else to move in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Lesson for everyone, if at all possible don't move in with someone who has a relative as a landlord

ain't that the truth - i was looking last year and one place the contact's mammy was the landlord- i asked him as part of the tour where the washing machine and dryer were etc and he hadn't a clue!! "i wouldn't know" :eek: didn't take needless to say

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

bluewolf wrote: »
    ain't that the truth - i was looking last year and one place the contact's mammy was the landlord- i asked him as part of the tour where the washing machine and dryer were etc and he hadn't a clue!! "i wouldn't know" :eek: didn't take needless to say

Haha! I'd say he's some catch!!! :D

The worst part of this is these people's parents look after them for life!! They've no concept of struggling and saving and just basic independent survival in a really expensive country. If I didn't have to pay rent for five years I'd be loaded....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭rightwingdub

bluewolf wrote: »

Was it advertised on daft.ie that the house had a washing machine and a dryer, how does someone epxect to get tenants if they don''t have a washing machine:eek:. I went looking at a place about 8 months and the house was an absolute dump that lloked like it hadn't been done up in years, I reckon the landlord probably got some immigrants to move in, needless to say I declined.

Advertisement