Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I was wondering where you went to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭overshoot

muffler wrote: »
    I was wondering where you went to :)
    i miss redsoxfan for starting these things :(
    harps thread is next up!

ah i forgot the team (no surprises anyway)
    P Durcan
    P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee
    F McGlynn, K Lacey, A Thompson
    N Gallagher, R Kavanagh
    R Bradley, R McHugh, David Walsh
    P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Carrickman wrote: »
    Well what a waste of a day traveling 3 hours each way to that heap of crap a joke and a embarrassment of a side and dont get me started about McFadden I never want this man playing for my county after what he got up to today and that's for starters:mad:

Reading over the start of this thread is quite funny. Seeing gems like this!

And for all the banter feel free to post here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

And for all the banter feel free to post here ;)

hah i can see how there is a very very very VERY small chance of this backfiring!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

overshoot wrote: »
    harps thread is next up!

ah i forgot the team (no surprises anyway)
    P Durcan
    P McGrath, N McGee, E McGee
    F McGlynn, K Lacey, A Thompson
    N Gallagher, R Kavanagh
    R Bradley, R McHugh, David Walsh
    P McBrearty, M Murphy, C McFadden

I'm so much happier when we have Bradley at 1/2 forward. I was terrified that he would be starting Centre, think Mayo would hockey us if it comes to him playing there. Think he's great at 1/2 though.

overshoot wrote: »
    Where is he anyhow, on holidays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭airneal

Come on Donegal, Mayo fans still have the same arrogant chat/feeling as last year, as though Sam is rightfully theirs.

Donegal 1-12 Mayo 1-11

Where is he anyhow, on holidays?
    id say he must have left... or its one hell of a holiday!

feeling a bit more more optimistic as the week goes on.
    we have been like dublin last year, they didnt get a second chance, hopefully we can make good use of ours!
    third QF in a row isnt bad viewing, never done that before! shows how much times have changed when we can get this far and still feel we are playing badly

In fairness, Jim is the boy, all other pundits really want to see us depart back over the hills!!

• Advertisement

Tune into the "last word" with Matt Cooper this evening, crack's going to get going!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Lsitening to Second Captains this morning and have to agree that if we come through this match on Sunday it will be one of Jims best performances due to the form of the team and injuries and all that craic. I just can't call it, have that sinking feeling for no apparent reason but really hope we can start off well, think it's going to be a fiery encounter with plenty of big hits and a couple yellows in the first 10 to 15 mins, but hopefully settle down then and we finish on the right side of the scoring....

Yip, I would say everyone has that feeling! But we're at the hands of the merciless. Hope we do it. Really want them "Mayowegens" put down once and for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Focus_sligo

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I'm so much happier when we have Bradley at 1/2 forward. I was terrified that he would be starting Centre, think Mayo would hockey us if it comes to him playing there. Think he's great at 1/2 though.

He's a great 1/2 alright but he plays midfield for his club and its his preferred position. He is good there but our midfield was outclassed by Monaghan

He's a great 1/2 alright but he plays midfield for his club and its his preferred position. He is good there but our midfield was outclassed by Monaghan
    We had no midfield for most of the match.

We had no midfield for most of the match.

We had no nothing for the first half, never mind midfield. That being said, I think the second half against Laois regained a bit of morale for the lads and they will be out to prove a point to mayo

We had no nothing for the first half, never mind midfield. That being said, I think the second half against Laois regained a bit of morale for the lads and they will be out to prove a point to mayo

But was Bradley not 1/2 for Laois. Gallagher is the man for Mid imo. There was a stage against Monaghan I think we lost 4 / 5 kick outs in a row and I think it was Lennon is it ye call him. Monaghans capp'n. Caught basically every one basically unchallenged.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭massey265

What a shambles off a game off football, they weren't even in the right field...

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

mayo simply were far to good congrats to them as for donegal what they achieved last year was a year of fantastic memorys that will live on and on and for that i could not say a bad word about anyone of them remember we went from humiliation to all ireland champs in two years.
    While i hope to have another all ireland or two in the next few years we have to remember we have nowhere near the players some teams have and if anything we over achieved last year but for now hope the players and staff enjoy the summer and be back next january for another crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

airneal wrote: »
    Come on Donegal, Mayo fans still have the same arrogant chat/feeling as last year, as though Sam is rightfully theirs.

Donegal 1-12 Mayo 1-11

After that performance it might just be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,050 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Something just not right with the team this season. Many don't look fit, even those not carrying injuries. Maybe overtrained?

At this level you can't play with guys carrying injuries, and Donegal had too many this season.

I do think there is an element of teams getting their fitness up to donegals level, and that took away a lot of our advantage. We haven't got the best footballers in the country and our fitness helped keep us above more skilful teams.

I do think it is a bit of an end of an era tbh. I hope I'm wrong though.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Since they won Sam did they have a good game at all? Hear McFadden is retiring and think mcbrearty is for Australia as well.

rightyabe wrote: »
    Since they won Sam did they have a good game at all? Hear McFadden is retiring and think mcbrearty is for Australia as well.

Tbf Mc fadden wouldn't be missed based on this season, mc breaty could be good but he is very young yet. If he is for Oz the best of luck to him.

well that was hard to watch, if we didnt find some of last years form we were going to take a beating but god i didnt think that bad!
    still didnt feel as bad walking away from that as cork in 09, that felt like it had been an achievement getting there and we were a long way off that level, at least we know we have a team capable of competing now as long as they are fit. We had too many carrying injuries over the year and to implement our game plan we need everyone 100% fit and sharp. Thats before you deal with the AI hangover!

it was still the most successful 2 years in our history, we will be back!

and im guessing paddy mcbrearty isnt going anywhere going by his FB post
    The last 3 years has been a fantastic journey, I've been lucky enough to be involved in days , where as a underage footballer in Donegal, i could only dream about.. Ive been privileged to wear the jersey through them times and will continue to be on and into the future! With the good days come the bad days! Here's to more of the good times! Peace out!
    Timmyctc wrote: »
    Tbf Mc fadden wouldn't be missed based on this season, mc breaty could be good but he is very young yet. If he is for Oz the best of luck to him.
    off form mcfadden was still our top scorer & by some distance, so yes he would be missed! Molloy is next in line and not at the same level

The writing was on the wall to an extent since they played down. Yesterday was either going to be good for donegal, or embarrassing. The later ended the reality.

Players heads were not where they were last year. IMO donegal players are overstrained if anything. The humiliation will hopefully set them on the road again next year. I hope mcguiness stays, but that remains to be seen. Hopefully he stays one last year and changes the style of play again.

Problem is some players will be leaving the squad, and there doesn't seem to be a lot coming through to replace them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hey Mods - any chance this thread could be merged with the new and improved thread in the GAA forum?

Or, close this thread with a link to the thread in the GAA forum?

Cheers.

Personally Id be in favour of closing this and leaving a link to the other thread in the GAA forum.

Lets see what everyone else thinks. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Beagslife

I think the reason why this was set up here, as opposed to in the general GAA forum, was to avoid all the random/trolls/outsiders posting, at the height of the season. Personally, I'd prefer to see it continued.

I know it lends to some double postings but I think it provides a more tranquil area for discussions, when things really heat up in the summer months!

My tuppence worth.

MC

Personally Id be in favour of closing this and leaving a link to the other thread in the GAA forum.

Lets see what everyone else thinks. :)
    ah the sports threads here are as good as dead. theres at least life in the GAA forum thread and id doubt it will fall too far down the pages.

while another thread, similar argument, Harps thread i dunno, LOI in general is just lost in the soccer forum but given the structure of boards i think most LOI followers use alternate forums as their primary forum. (and with the general rule success breeds fans theres not many!) Strangely it may be better served here because of that

Anyway, both might be stumbled into here by casuals who might not frequent the other forums but thats gonna be mostly championship time and it probably wont be found unless someone bumps it and the regular users are following the GAA forum thread so that mightnt happen

edit although the above post may have a point... it is the quiet part of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Cant believe it hasn't been mentioned yet...

But we're through to another Ulster Final

Dún na nGall Abú!!

\o/

Advertisement