Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pick Me A Team !

Options
  • 18-01-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭

Ok folks as the title says I'm looking to pick myself an American Football team to support. I've been casually following the NFL for about two years but I really want to get into it next season and support a team from the off. First of all I want to support a young, up and coming team that plays exciting football and will improve over the next few seasons but don't want to be considered a bandwagon fan so the patriots are definitely out. I've drawn up a shortlist so would appreciate feedback on them but I'm open to any other good suggestions

Cincinnati Bengals
    Baltimore Ravens
    New Orleans Saints
    Green Bay Packers
    Jacksonville Jaguars

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

As a ravens fan I recommend reading the book "Next Man Up" which follows the ravens for a year in 2005. It also gives great insight into the NFL in general.

The Saints standout as the most successful team this season down below. Any of the others would be an interesting team to support...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,956 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'd recommend the Seahawks if you are only starting out, they just signed the best college coach over the last decade in Pete Carroll who wants to prove himself in the NFL, he has been a head coach in the NFL before. The team has two early first round picks in the draft and there could be a great story about to happen over in Seattle. You certainly could not be called a bandwagon jumper if you started to support them now but the future could be very bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Thanks columok I'll try and check out that book, also the Seattle Seahawks sound interesting are you a fan of them yourself eagle eye ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Green Bay Packers are certainly a young team, play good football and will develop over the next bit; imo fits your criteria.

No, I'm a Pats fan for many, many years. I just think for somebody starting out, you might be in for an interesting ride following the Seahawks. I actually think they will do well. You said the Pats are out for you so no point in trying to persuade to follow them.

For a guy just looking for a team the two that might be promising over the next while are the Seahawks and Titans imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I recently went for the Titans, and they more or less fits the criteria. They're a young and exciting team, I got hooked when I saw the QB Vince Young and the amazing running back Chris Johnson, who became the first player in a while to run over 2,000 yards this season. Also, their jerseys are pretty slick. Another factor for me in picking the Titans was there are very few fans in the UK and Ireland.

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    I recently went for the Titans, and they more or less fits the criteria. They're a young and exciting team, I got hooked when I saw the QB Vince Young and the amazing running back Chris Johnson, who became the first player in a while to run over 2,000 yards this season. Also, their jerseys are pretty slick. Another factor for me in picking the Titans was there are very few fans in the UK and Ireland.

Ye I was quite interested in the Titans, how did you find following them this season ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye wrote: »
    No, I'm a Pats fan for many, many years. I just think for somebody starting out, you might be in for an interesting ride following the Seahawks. I actually think they will do well.
    If Pete Carroll's Trojan history repeats itself with the Seahawks, the first season with him as coach will be team rebuilding and average performance. The second season will be the one to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I posted this in a similar thread a few months ago

Go on... Join the Steeler nation!!

The thing about the Steelers is that they have won six Superbowls which is more than anyone else. And they have won twice since 2005. But before that there last Championship was in 1979. So it's not like they are the Man Utd of the NFL that win every year. As others have pointed out, no team can dominate the league for too long (not even those damn Patriots)

It was a quirk of Geography that I ended up supporting Pittsburgh but I am really glad that it worked out that way. In fact I was really lucky because 2005 was my first year following the NFL properly and the Steelers were big underdogs so it was a great story watching them prove everyone wrong and winning the Superbowl.

The other great thing about the Steelers is that they are firmly rooted in Pittsburgh. This is unlike other teams such as the Colts, Ravens or Raiders who have moved cities which I am not a big fan of. The Steelers were founded in 1933 by Art Rooney and they have been in the Rooney family ever since. And the Rooneys were Irish emigrants so there is an Ireland connection too. In fact, Dan Rooney owns the Steelers and he was recently appointed as the American ambassador to Ireland. Hopefully that will mean that we will get a pre-season game here at some stage so you could see the Steelers in the flesh. Dan Rooney was also the driving force behind the Rooney Rule in the NFL which means that minority candidates have to be interviewed for head coaching and senior football operations opportunities.

Pittsburgh is a very working class town and the Steelers reflect those values. They are not the prettiest but their smash mouth style of football takes no prisoners and is great to watch. And there are great rivalries every year with the likes of the Ravens, Browns and Bengals not to mention the Philadelphia Eagles.

And finally as an organisation, the Steelers understand that you have to give a coach time and they have always hired young coaches and given them time to succeed. Case in point is Mike Tomlin who was not well fancied to get the job in 2007. But the Rooney's saw something in him and he has rewarded them with a Championship.

So that is my case for the Steelers...

But there are loads of great teams in the NFL and it is a really great sport to be a fan of. And if you do join the Steeler nation, make sure that you get yourself a terrible towel to swing around when you are watching them this year!

Tomlin replaced Cowher in 2007 iirc, and he took over a team that had won Superbowl too. I am not saying the guy is a bad coach or anything but Cowher left him with a really good team when he stepped down. Its not like he built it from the ground himself.

• Advertisement

Ye I was quite interested in the Titans, how did you find following them this season ??
    They're a good team to follow, especially when Vince Young came into the team half way through the season. It was a bit stop start, stop start, but next year will be more settled and it might be a perfect team to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

columok wrote: »
    As a ravens fan I recommend reading the book "Next Man Up" which follows the ravens for a year in 2005. It also gives great insight into the NFL in general.

Wow, that book is the reason I started supporting the Ravens!
    Here's a link OP:
    \http://www.amazon.com/Next-Man-Up-Behind-Todays/dp/0316009644
    Everyone I knew supported the Patriots, I didn't want that when I got into football.

You should consider the Seahawks, great fans and things will only get better for them.
    Or the 49'ers, rich history and a top coach.
    I could never bring myself to recommend the Steelers but you have the Irish connection with the Rooney family.

I would avoid franchises that moved cities. Like the Colts and the Rams. No, the Ravens was a new franchise before somebody buts in! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

mikemac wrote: »
    I would avoid franchises that moved cities. Like the Colts and the Rams. No, the Ravens was a new franchise before somebody buts in! :p

Whatever you Ravens fan need to think!! Just because the records stayed in Cleveland doesnt mean the team did:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

eagle eye wrote: »
    Tomlin replaced Cowher in 2007 iirc, and he took over a team that had won Superbowl too. I am not saying the guy is a bad coach or anything but Cowher left him with a really good team when he stepped down. Its not like he built it from the ground himself.

Typo! Thanks I've edited it.

It's still mighty impressive to win a Superbowl in only your second season as a head coach in the NFL. And they were not a great team when Tomlin took over. Sure they had won in 2005 but that was a very unfancied team and in 2006 they went 8-8 and missed out on the playoffs.

So Tomlin deserves a good deal of credit for the job that he after taking over from Cowher. It wasn't like the Colts when Cauldwell was a Dungy disciple in the organisation and he took over a 12-4 team.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Green Bay Packers

Do it now! If you wait a year you might be accused of being a band-wagoner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

If you're interested in the Bengals you should youtube bengals hard knocks. It was a HBO series at the start of the year which followed the Bengals in preseason, I found it very interesting. I wouldn't recommend following the Bengals though!! Out of the list you gave, I'd pick the Saints or the Packers. 2 very explosive offences!!

Ahhhhh this is going to be a very tough decision, everyone has put across stong arguments but I think I'm going to rule out the Packers though just because of the fact that they've been there and won it all before. I really like the idea of a new and upcoming Seahawks team with their new coach but how would you rate their chances of making the playoffs in the next few seasons as I'd the love the chance to go over and see a playoff game. Also think I'll give the Saints a miss just because they've had such a good season this year so basically that brings it down to 3 choices between the Seahawks Titans and Ravens. As I'm to try and watch nearly all the games of my chosen team which would be the most enjoyable to follow ?

Also could someone give me a quick overview of the Seahawks in terms of their best players, fans etc.. I already have a fair idea about the other two

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

mikemac wrote:
    Wow, that book is the reason I started supporting the Ravens!
    Here's a link OP:
    \http://www.amazon.com/Next-Man-Up-Be.../dp/0316009644
    Everyone I knew supported the Patriots, I didn't want that when I got into football.
    Ditto for me. I wanted to read up on the nfl, picked that book and really liked what i read -particularily about Bisciotti and Newsome. It gave me a real insight into the day to day operations of the franchise which for someone who had no clue at the time was fantastic.
    Also think I'll give the Saints a miss just because they've had such a good season this year so basically that brings it down to 3 choices between the Seahawks Titans and Ravens.
    Three interesting teams to support. I would say that right now the Titans are more exciting and as the guys are saying the Seahawks could have a bright future.

As for the Ravens I'll be really interested to see how the team does as Ray Lewis and Ed Reed fade out and who the next team leader will be. I find it exciting to see a team in transition from such a distinct defensive character.

Everyone picks the team with the explosive offense. Nothing wrong with this
    But be different OP.

Pick a team with a cracking defence, Ravens are an example of this. :cool:
    In fact we have a UK and Ireland supporters club with trips planned next year

Up to very recently, many (not the knowledgeable posters here :)) jumped on the bandwagon of the established, fashionable and successful teams

So get ahead of the bandwagon and I'd say the Seahawks for this.
    They were in the Superbowl just a few years back and definitly the only way is up for them

• Advertisement

frostie500 wrote: »
    Whatever you Ravens fan need to think!! Just because the records stayed in Cleveland doesnt mean the team did:D

Why I ought to :mad:
    The Browns franchise was left in Cleveland. A classy thing to do
    Which is more then happened the Baltimore Colts

Which is why when the Colts play in Baltimore the scoreboards states "Indy", you won't see the Colts ever!

Also could someone give me a quick overview of the Seahawks in terms of their best players, fans etc.. I already have a fair idea about the other two
    I'll do this for you.

I think we will start with their new coach Pete Carroll.

Carroll has been the most successful coach in college football over the last decade, he took a progam(USC) that was considered as a dying powerhouse and made them the no.l football school. He has been approached many times about coaching in the NFL during his time at USC but has always maintained that he needed the right opportunity if he was to ever go back. It seems he found that opportunity now. He has a great relationship with a lot of former USC players who are now in the NFL. A recent Mark Sanchez interview shows just how good that relationship is. Here is an interview he did recently just after his appointment.
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-player-interviews/09000d5d815b08d4/Carroll-interview

The Seahawks current Quarterback is veteran pro bowler Matt Hasselbeck. Hasselbeck had a couple of great seasons but he has had no protection over the last while and he has suffered from injuries too. He is know for his heart and determination and his comeback from a serious knee injury which most predicted would end his season but he only missed a couple of weeks, and then another one in 2008 which was even more serious. There are many who believe that the Seahawks will use one of their first round picks for a new Quarterback, personally I don't think they need to but I do think they will pick up a guy for development in the later rounds of the draft.

At Running back they have Julius Jones, a former Cowboy who in fairness hasn't live up to expectations so far but has been decent without excelling in his two seasons with the Seahawks. I think he will do better under Pete Carroll. His backup is Justin Forsett who has just had a decent season.

At Wide Receiver they picked up T.J. Houshmanzadeh last year in free agency. Housh is a premier receiver in the NFL or has been over the last while, I would expect to see him get back to his very best next season. They also have Deion Branch, a former Patriot who was signed for big money a couple of years ago but has failed to deliver since his arrival. If both these guys were at their best next year, the Seahawks would have some season.
    At Tight End they drafted John Carlson in 2008 and he is fast becoming one of the better tight ends in the league.
    On the Offensive line they have the legendary left tackle Walter Jones, one of the best over the last decade in the NFL. He was injured for most of this season.

On Defense the took Aaron Curry with the no.4 pick in the 2009 draft, this kid is going to be a superstar and there is no doubt about that.
    The also have Colin Cole at Defensive Tackle who they signed in free agency last year. An excellent pass rusher in Patrick Kerney and Lawrence Jackson a first round pick in the 2008 draft.
    And in the backfield they have Marcus Trufant who is a top notch corner.

Hope that helps, I'll be watching a lot of their games next year as I'm a big fan of Pete Carroll. I felt he was unfortunate during his time with the Patriots between losing Curtis Martin in free agency and his replacement going down with injury. I think he will do a very good job with the Seahawks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

don't want to be considered a bandwagon fan so the patriots are definitely out.

Don't worry about that with the Patriots, they're a team in decline and their dynasty is over.

Don't worry about that with the Patriots, they're a team in decline and their dynasty is over.
    Yeah thats right, we won our division for the umpteenth time, we have a really young D that lost 5 starters from the previous year, thats right Rodney Harrison, Richard Seymour, Tedy Bruschi, Ellis Hobbs and Mike Vrabel and we have 4 of the first 53 picks in the 2010 draft and two 1st rounders in 2011.

Dream on, you will have to wait a long time before the most successful franchise of the new millennium is done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

Too easy!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Neal_B

I've been trying to pick a team too over the last few days. Started watchin the playoffs for first time ever this year and tbh, all I've been doing since is reading about NFL.
    I really liked the look of the saints. Question i, would I most definitely be a 'band-wagoner' if I was to start supporting them??!ther
    Not that it would bother me too much!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

well im a pats fan so besides them the only ones i could recommend to you are

Green Bay Packers, should progress into a great team-youngest in the league iirc

Houston Texans

Kansas City Chiefs are after putting together a great backroom team

Seahawks arent a bad shout either

just never the Jets and never the Colts

Ah to hell with it, come support the Pats! you wont be called a bandwagon fan now, we havent been to a superbowl in 2 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

kryogen wrote: »
    well im a pats fan so besides them the only ones i could recommend to you are

Green Bay Packers, should progress into a great team-youngest in the league iirc

Houston Texans

Kansas City Chiefs are after putting together a great backroom team

Seahawks arent a bad shout either

just never the Jets and never the Colts

Ah to hell with it, come support the Pats! you wont be called a bandwagon fan now, we havent been to a superbowl in 2 years :)
    Don't listen to him, Jets are a great team, with a great Uniform. Alternatively you could support the Giants who are a another great team.

At the moment I'm currently leaning towards the Titans, watched a few games and liked what I saw, Chris Johnson is some player ! How would you rate their chances next season ? Any reason you would persuade me not to go for them ?

• Advertisement

At the moment I'm currently leaning towards the Titans, watched a few games and liked what I saw, Chris Johnson is some player ! How would you rate their chances next season ? Any reason you would persuade me not to go for them ?
    It's gonna be pretty exciting to see what happens. There's certainly enough to build on to go to the Play-Offs, such was their form at the latter half of this season. Plus, it'd be nice to have another Titan around :D

Advertisement