Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the reasons behind you supporting your team?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

Watched the Superbowl in 2002 then went to visit relatives in Boston a few years later. Watched the Pats play on tv there with my uncle and some of his mates. It was brilliant. Completely fell for them ever since then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Was chatting to a guy in the toilets in Dandelion, I'd a colts jersey on but would support the seahawks mainly (also have a saints top should have had that on :pac:)

Though I'm more a fan of the sport rather than one particular team.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,563 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Support the Raider spurely because I picked up one of the earlier Madden games and liked their crest better than everyone elses.... :pac:
    Then I started trying to learn more about them and liked the whole "Us -v- Everyone Else" attitude they had going on.

Was following NFL a few years when I ended up in America the time the Rosebowl was contested by Longhorns and USC (Young -v- Bush). Was there for about 4 days before it and was watching all the analysis programs and that and decided to root for the Longhorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I picked WVU because I attended West Virginia University and attending crazy college games was my introduction to American Football. Before that I had no idea about the sport and even though I'd switched on the Superbowl a couple of times, I quickly switched over in bemusement.

It all came together standing in the insanely rowdy student section of Mountaineer field and WVU had a great year in 2003 when I was there. I still remember the insanity of beating Virginia Tech in Morgantown and walking around the streets of burning couches with tears in your eye because the police had sprayed so much pepper spray that the whole area was infected with it. Or the student section being surrounded by riot police for the majority of the fourth quarter when we beat Pitt. Ah good times :D

brown.jpg

And the natural extension of supporting WVU was to join the Steeler nation because I had seen heinz field and visited Pittsburgh a couple of times. Thankfully the first year I started watching the NFL properly in 2005 the Steelers went on a great run and won the Superbowl so I was hooked.

super-bowl-xl--hines-ward.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

NCAA: Being a current USC student, we bleed Trojan football crimson and gold (sometimes all over the UCLA Bruin bronze statue when they are not looking).

NFL: Starting the new 2010 season the Seattle Seahawks, because they stole our favourite head couch Pete Carroll and part of his coaching staff.

0909_matt_barkley_usc.jpg

carroll.standalone.prod_affiliate.5.jpg

• Advertisement

NFL: I like the Chargers because...

QB Philip Rivers:
    ATT 486
    COM 317
    YDS 4254
    CMP% 65.2
    YPA 8.75
    TD 28
    BL bonuses: 28, 6'-5", cute
    NFL: Starting the new 2010 season the Seattle Seahawks, because they stole our favourite head couch Pete Carroll and part of his coaching staff.

Wow you dropped Rivers pretty quick after the playoff loss to the Jets. He was rubbish in fairness:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Wow you dropped Rivers pretty quick after the playoff loss to the Jets. He was rubbish in fairness:p
    Ha! Well, my big love has always been NCAA Div I (and of course the Trojans), but I like to watch the NFL too, just never really committed to a particular team.

Then our Pete Carroll recently went back to pro, and although I am upset that we lost him, he is a grand coach, so many of us Trojans are following him to the next level with the Seahawks. Of course, we don't expect that he will be able to transform them quickly into an SB 2011 contender, but perhaps 2012 or 2013; if he can do for them, what he did for Troy, rebuilding his first year, and winning the PAC-10 for the next 7 seasons?

**I also look good in blue when I dress to kill**

**I also look good in blue when I dress to kill**

You know the drill... pics or gtfo!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭UhOh

Denver Broncos

in about November 1991 I got to playing Madden on my friends Sega Mega Drive. For someone who never watched the NFL I got the rules pretty quickly & it turned out I was pretty good at it for an 11 year old, Denver was my team in it.
    Anyway after a few weeks I thought, hey I like this american football, I wonder if I can watch it on TV some night?? This would have been January 1992, Channel 4 was showing a live game on the Saturday & it was the Denver Broncos, great stuff I thought. It just so happens said game was the 1991 Divisonal Playoff between the Oilers & Broncos at Mile High aka The Drive Pt II
    What a game, I sat engrossed on the kitchen table, Elway was unreal in the comeback & converting two 4th downs on the final drive (thats started on the 2 yard line)to set up David Treadwells winning FG, 26-24 Broncos. From that moment on I was hooked on the NFL, the Denver Broncos & John Elway

You know the drill... pics or gtfo!;)
    No freebies! Talk to my agent, ha! :cool:

Back on OP... The Seahawks might surprise everyone in a couple of years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

FSU fan here. I'm an alumni and my freshman year was the 1999 season - undefeated and National Champions! More recent times have been tough on the Seminoles. I always cheer them on though (or for whoever plays the Gators).

I don't have a pro football team, although I like pro football. I'm an Orlando native. My brother is a huge Miami fan, and so I hate Miami. My only other options in state are the Bucs and the Jags, and I can't seem to get into either of those teams. I just spent 2 1/2 years in Boston and came away with a strong hate for any Boston/New England pro sports team thanks to the huge number of obnoxious fans (sorry Boston fans on here - I'm sure that doesn't include you!). So I'm still a free agent when it comes to pro football.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Joe Montana, Steve Young, Steve Bono.

Back in the day the niners were good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

NFL team: Ravens.
    Reason: Family living in Baltimore, & was told about the superbowl 35 and how the ravens were playing in it. watched it, loved it, hooked dot com :D

College team: Alabama.
    Reason: went out with a chick who attended there. tis that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

As part of a public speaking class in college, we had to give a "How To" speech, and someone chose to give a speech on 'How to Watch Professional Football.' It was actually a pretty great presentation that went over the basic rules, positions, etc. The speech took place just before Thanksgiving that year; I went home for break and watched all of the football games with my dad (and there are a LOT of games over Thanksgiving weekend, btw), and applied all of my newfound knowledge. I was living in New York City at the time, and started to follow the Jets. Herm Edwards was the coach, and while the Giants seemed kind of cocky, the Jets were the perpetual underdogs. (They made it to the playoffs that year, much to everyone's surprise!)

My dad is a Philadelphia Eagles fan, so growing up I would watch those games with him, even though I didn't know what was going on. I like the Eagles, and they're my #2, but the Jets will always be my #1!

Trojan wrote: »
    Joe Montana, Steve Young, Steve Bono.

Back in the day the niners were good :)
    But you didn't mention your favourite NCAA team? Let me guess... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

NFL : Eagles

Reasons : One of the original entry points to the US for Irish emigrants, plus they wear Green & White which is pretty Irish :)

NCAA : Hawaii

Reasons : Again wear green & white (sometimes at least ;) ) , they used to do a Rainbow warriors HAKA ala the all blacks which is pretty cool. Plus its somewhere I've always wanted to visit so supporting them gives me an excuse to do so :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 CharismaPeep

Became a giants fan during the 80's. Most of my friends were 49's fans and i just wanted to support someone different. I can't even remember why specifically i followed the Giants, just did. Never regretted it.

The best moment was beating the patriots in the superbowl because i honestly had no doubt we would beat them. When you see the matches with Dallas and Green Bay leading up to it, it just had that 'Name on the Cup' feeling to it.

Plus i got to laugh at Tom Brady, which is always fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This guy was the man for me -

gonzalez.jpg

I got into the Chiefs initially because of Derrick Thomas (RIP), Marcus Allen and Steve Bono in the mid-90s due that NFL Blitz show on C4 with Gary Imlach. Used to watch that and Football Italia in bed every Saturday morning :D

Gonzalez came along and just blew me away. An unbelievable athlete who could change a game. I've followed the Chiefs from dodgy QB to dodgy QB (Elvis Grbac) but Gonazalez was always the model of consistency. I thought with firstly Priest Holmes and then LJ that things were looking up but now it's all about rebuilding.

My plan is to one day hit up Arrowhead for game, just a pity #88 won't be there :o

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

it was totally random tbh. Friend of mine was into the Redskins, I think he might have been given the gift of a shirt, which was a rarity, he used to always wear it playing football (soccer). Only guy I knew with an american football shirt back in the old days (yaaarrr!)

started watching a few games on channel 4. Settled on the '49ers because I knew the 49er bit was because of the gold rush (If that's wrong then it's even more random a choice). :)

one guy picked the bears, probably because of "the refrigarator".

Another guy settled on the Eagles. I think he liked Randall Cunningham's ability to gain running yards, even though he was a QB. Have to admit, I always liked seeing him go for a dash when there wasn't a pass available.

I was just lucky the 49ers was good at the time. Joe Montana seemed like a real "decent" chap. Kept an interest in his career at Kansas City too. Lost touch over the last few years, will have to get in at the start of next season and get myself reacquainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I have to say only over the last year and a half have I really gotten into NFL. I am going to the game in Wembley in October. Should be good..sadly I have no team yet as no one has really jumped out and grabbed me so far...there are loads of teams I like so I may just wait. I think my growing knowledge of the sport will help me find one soon! Until then I just love watching it. Learning bits about it everyday and it just gets better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,758 ✭✭✭✭walshb

mickmc7 wrote: »
    49ers.
    Why? Two words, Joe Montana. And if you want two more, Jerry Rice!

Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Charles Hayley, Steve Young, Rick Watters etc.

I started supporting the Niners in January 1986 after I saw Montana speaking during the Superbowl (XX) I asked who he was and was told he was last years MVP from XIX. I then asked what team he played for and went with them. Little did I know that I was onto a winner. I remember having to wait 8 months until the 1986 season started.

Back then I relied on the Evening Herald for the results. It was always in Mondays edition. I used to have to wait until the following Sunday after each game to watch the Channel 4 coverage of the previous week. How things have changed. Anyone remember the theme music to the Channel 4 programme? It was Two Tribes, from Frankie Goes To Hollywood if I remember correctly

I watched constantly up until the 1995 season began. Then I lost touch, but now it's back and I have been eating it up. I still took notice of the game, but not close to the degree that I used to.

Favorite NFL moment. Had to be the 49ers win over the Bengals in the 1988/1989 Superbowl. Was there ever a better pressure drive than Montana's 92 yards with 3:10
    on the clock, and the team hit with a 1st a 20 on one play? Wow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭irishraven

Balitmore Ravens

Well, I had been going to Ocean City, MD since the summer of 1999! I'll be honest, I had no interest whatsoever in Football before I went to America. Not until 2001 did I get into football, and there were a few reasons why. My girlfriend was from there, and she went to the University Of Maryland - home of the Terps.

I really got into the whole college football thing first, and the Ravens being so close seemed like the right team to follow.

I hate all New York teams by the way, in all sports and of course Pittsburgh. I went to see the Ravens play the Jags in Oct 2002 and then in 2003 I saw them play both Kansas, which we lost, but the Seattle game was just unreal!!! More recently I went to see them in New York in 2008 and then again in Sept 2009 Vs the browns (landslide win)

Anyway...Ravens forever, roll on the draft and the 2010 season

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

NFL: Jacksonville Jaguars.

I was in Florida in 1998, the Jags were a new team, i went to Alltell Stadium and my dad bought me a Mark Brunell #8 jersey. I didnt like NFL untill 2000, when my friend bought NFL Quaterback Club 2000 on the Dreamcast, he asked who i support, i flicked through the logo's and recognised the Jags logo and said them!

Since then, my intrest has grown and grown, and i have really enjoyed following the Jags. Players like Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith, Mike Peterson, Mark Brunell and Marcus Stroud have been a big reason behind my support, even in the years where Chris Hanson (punter) was our only player in the Pro Bowl. The odd playoff run but nothing spectacular, im looking for winning seasons rather than super bowl appearences. Unfortunately due to the "little engine that could" attitude of our club we only get 1 or 2 games on Sky.

Maurice Jones-Drew is a pleasure to support nowadays tbh.

NCAA: Florida Gators

This is funny actually. I was in Seattle 2 years ago, there was College football on TV, the first NCAA game id ever seen. Gators vs LSU, Tim Tebow was playing for Florida and he was unreal, so i thought "Wow he is class, i wonder if he'll make it." Funny that he is now likely going to the Jags.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭The Munky

When a new guy asks me who they should support in the NFL i always tell them to pick their team as follows...

Find out who won the Superbowl in the year you were born...

I was born in 78 and started watching it in 88 on Channel 4.....

STEELER NATION

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭JonnyF

Lived in new york for a year playing rugby so now i follow the giants, yankees and rangers. Worked out pretty well when the g men won the superbowl the year after i left and the yankees look to be back to their winning ways

Advertisement