Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the reasons behind you supporting your team?

Options
  • 18-01-2010 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Perhaps a team from the first game you seen, a place you visited or something to do with a film, etc. Or if you're American, your hometown maybe?

For me it was a few factors pointing in one direction. I was born in the San Diego district of Cartagena in Colombia. My uncle was Fuad Reveiz who while playing for the Chargers invited my family out to watch him play. I was only 7 at the time and barely remember it though. But it was the first game i seen. Anyways 6 years ago when i developed an interest in the sport i had to go with the Chargers. Even though i had lived in Montana for a lot of my teens where Denver has a big following. I managed to avoid supporting them as i was playing hockey back then. So without the ice over here my attention turned to the field. American football and GAA all the way. Go Chargers! (doesn't seem right saying that after last nights performance)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

My husband is a big fan of American football, so while on honeymoon in New York we went to a Giants v Jets preseason game. I decided to cheer for the Jets because they were the underdog (much to the annoyance of my husband-he's a Dolphins fan) and they won! So now they're my team.

Go Jets! (does seem right saying that after last nights performance ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭_Buck Rogers

1997 was the year I became an american football fan and that is also the year the Oilers moved from houston to tennessee ( in 1999 they changed their name from tennessee oilers to tennessee titans). Anyway it felt to me at the time that I was supporting a brand new team as they moved state and took on a new identity.

So thats how I was attracted to the Titans and they've been my team since.

I've always held the batimore ravens close as well. I jsut loved how they played the game. . .hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I was only about 9/10 when my dad let me stay up to watch the highlights program on channel 4. The top team of that season was the Bears and loved watching the big hits from their D. That was my team from then on. Havent won the big one since then and dont look like winning one anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

The Year was 1990. I was a 10. A year previous my uncle brought me back a redskins jersey and my interest in the NFL was born. But I hadn't decided to follow the Redskins as I didn't know enough about them. The one day I flicked onto to Channel 4 and started to watch their NFL show can't for the life of me remember the name of it. Watched the 1990 season and one game that stuck out in the highlights was Redskins @ Pats in December that year. I started to feel sorry for the Pats who were 1-12 on the season. I also like their logo and that uniform back then. :D So the nice looking team who were the underdog stood out to me more.

I guess I started to follow the underdog that year and from then on I was a Pats fan. Have never regretted my decision to stick with the Pats. So many fond memories.

Go Pats!

AFC-1984-1987%2C1990-Uniform-NE.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

2002 was the first SuperBowl i stayed up to watch fully and i rooted for the underdog...

A team called the Patriots, a couple of months after 9/11, massive underdogs who came out as a team not individuals, had a very inexperienced 6th round QB Vs the greatest show on turf, throw in an epic U2 halftime performance into the mix also.

Then game tied 17-17, Pats get the ball on their own 17 with 1:21 to play, no timeouts, John Madden saying "I dont agree with what the Patriots are doing here, i'd play for overtime" and this happens:

Two things still make the hairs stand up on the back of my neck are: John Madden saying play for overtime and Vinateri jumping up with his hands in the air, celebrating as the ball still has a long distance to go.

After that, how could i not be a fan? Also i live in Boston now so its an added bonus.

A longer verison of the last 2 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjpYzh5VnPE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I'm an Eagles fan, dont really know why though! It just happened over time. I started watching football when I was about ten, but obviously I wouldnt have known much about it. When I was fifteen I spent a summer in california and got really interested in the sport and by the end of the 2000 season I was an Eagles fan.

I'm also a Texas Longhorns fan since '03. I had just started watching college ball around then and started to follow the 'horns probably due to the style of football Mack Brown plays-having Vince Young at QB did no harms for the first few years of fanship!

There's another thread about following teams and the one thing I'd say that nearly everyone will agree with is....you dont pick your team, your team picks you. If you are lucky enough to become a true fan of a team, it isnt because that team is successful right now, its because you actually invest yourself and your emotions with that team. Thats what happened with me and I'd say with quite a few people here as well

frostie500 wrote: »

There's another thread about following teams and the one thing I'd say that nearly everyone will agree with is....you dont pick your team, your team picks you. If you are lucky enough to become a true fan of a team, it isnt because that team is successful right now, its because you actually invest yourself and your emotions with that team. Thats what happened with me and I'd say with quite a few people here as well

100% agree with all of this. I cried when the Pats lost to the Packer in Superbowl XXI in 1997 and cried when we lost to the Giants in Superbowl XLII in 2007. I get goose bumps when I watch moments like that of what Hazy posted on vid. I am very passionate about the Pats and it gets me into many arguments with fans including other Pats fans :D:D

As Frostie said the right team will come to you. And the day it does you will know about it.

Edit: Funny story about 2007. I watched that Bowl in a room full of Packers fans in WI. People all night took the p1ss out of me. And then when they saw the tears at the end of the game I was instantly accepted into the brotherhood that is a football fan. I got more respect that night than any other. ( Oh and the Ladies loved it a Giant Paddy Crying :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I've always watched the NFL from a distant since it's arrived on Sky, I'd flick over to the early game occasionally but I'd never stick to it, and always thought the ad breaks ruined the game. I sat down one night and out of pure luck I said I'm going to try and watch this game. I can't remember which one it was, but by the 4th quarter I was hooked. I watched the next game, then the games a week later, and basically I became hooked on this great sport.

vince-young-titans-missing-police-suicide-watch-collins.jpgFF_114255_l.jpg

I watch every game, but I still wanted to have a team to root for no matter who they were playing, so after seeing the Titans a few times I became linked to them. I really liked Chris Johnson, and particularly the kicker Bironas. Then when Vince Young came into the team I had a new favourite player. I think he's awesome, and I find it mad exciting that a QB can at anything go on a run. He's quick, and his general leadership and play is what has kept me tied to the Titans. Mixed in with the unstoppable CJ, I am now a Titans fan. And also, I think their jerseys are really nice.

Finally, when speaking with a huge NFL fan he pretty much guarenteed my alliance when he said there were hardly no Titans fans at this side of the pond.
    frostie500 wrote:

Well said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭Hynzie

Got a Giants t - shirt when I was 6 and decided they were my team even though I knew nothing about the sport! About two years later I watched the Notre Dame v Navy game from Croke Park and that sealed the deal. My uncle in Boston would send me over dvd's and Patriots stuff trying to convert me but I stuck with Big Blue!!

I support Texas in college football just because I wanted to follow a team and I thought Longhorns was a killer name. Also those burnt orange jerseys are killer!

The biggest thing that helped me follow this sport was the internet. Even though I was interested in it, being from Mayo and not having sky or anything like that it was near impossible to keep up with what was going on. When I was about 12 we got the internet properly sorted in the house and ie been obsessed ever since!!:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

eagle eye likes the USC Trojans because...

090409-usc-cheerleaders.jpg

NCAA: USC because I am a Trojan student and it's part of school fun and spirit.

NFL: I like the Chargers because...

QB Philip Rivers:
    ATT 486
    COM 317
    YDS 4254
    CMP% 65.2
    YPA 8.75
    TD 28
    BL bonuses: 28, 6'-5", cute

Which sets up a conflict for me, because former Trojan QB Sanchez now leads the Jets that beat the Chargers in the playoffs.

• Advertisement

NCAA: USC because I am a Trojan student and it's part of school fun and spirit.

NFL: I like the Chargers because...

QB Philip Rivers:
    ATT 486
    COM 317
    YDS 4254
    CMP% 65.2
    YPA 8.75
    TD 28
    BL bonuses: 28, 6'-5", cute

Which sets up a conflict for me, because former Trojan QB Sanchez now leads the Jets that beat the Chargers in the playoffs.

Should never follow a team because of a player really. If the player ever leaves where does you allegiances lie then? I know quite a few who are trying to justify why they still support a team after their "Fav Player" left. ;):D

If Brady left tomorrow from the Pats you will have Muppets like the folk i know who will jump ship. I would cry for a fair few weeks and fill my own lake :D But I will still be a Pats fan. My 2 cents on that.:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Colts becaue i went to Indy for the F1 grand Prix in 2003 and visited the stadium etc and said, hey i like these guys !!!

Gators.....i spend a lot of time in Orlando so got in on the Gators that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Should never follow a team because of a player really. If the player ever leaves where does you allegiances lie then? I know quite a few who are trying to justify why they still support a team after their "Fav Player" left. ;):D

If Brady left tomorrow from the Pats you will have Muppets like the folk i know who will jump ship. I would cry for a fair few weeks and fill my own lake :D But I will still be a Pats fan. My 2 cents on that.:D:D
    Her allegiance clearly lies with USC.

I think its a case with Blue of just wanting to see former USC players do well. I don't think she really supports an NFL team like you or I or the many other NFL fans on this forum.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Her allegiance clearly lies with USC.

I think its a case with Blue of just wanting to see former USC players do well. I don't think she really supports an NFL team like you or I or the many other NFL fans on this forum.

In fairness it was tongue and cheek and Im sure Blue can defend herself either way.

i was also just then making a generalisation of people who do follow teams because of the one player.

Next time I will put an ample amount of these in the post :D:D:D:D;);););):D:D:D:p:p:p

Oh and River Went to NC State. p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Dallas Cowboys.

Had been watching NFL on and off since 2003. I decided, that before picking a team, I would wait unti lI went to America, and pick the local team of the first city I went to.

First city I went to, Dallas Texas (albeit through Chicago). Dallas' wonderful allure sucked me in in that wonderful summer of 2007. I came home and stated that the Cowboys were my team. Since then I have been hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Green Bay Packers

The first NFL game I ever watched was Green Bay against the Ravens in 2001. Don't know why but I felt I wanted to root for them. Then I learned about the rich history and tradition of Packers football: The small town team, the Ice Bowl, Vince Lombardi, don't have an owner, the passionate fans. They were ideal for a young lad from Clare to follow, they felt a bit like Munster to be fair.

A huge factor was, however, this man.

brett-favre.jpg

Brett Favre was a hero. He was reckless, he was unpredictable, he made incredible plays, he was a crazy hillbilly. Of course since then Brett Favre has moved on but team always comes before player.

RichTea wrote: »

but team always comes before player.

Unless its Favre :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Unless its Favre :D

Why? Players come and go all the time. The Packers have lost Hall of Fame quarterbacks before and moved on. Everyone has to do it. We've already found a long-term replacement. The Packers will always survive.

Tallaght is right, we need numerous smilies for sarcasm and jest :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If your supporting a team based on QB looks I'd be a jet man myself, I'm not even gay but Sanchez is quite dreamy in fairness. He also has that bit of X-factor that Brady doesnt have as well(I think people people refer to it as a personality!). However when talking about real man crushes, there's only one man in the nfl for me.

calvin-johnson-transfermodi.png

*Swoooon*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,754 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well if its man crush we are talking its there is only one guy for me.:D Get well soon my hero.

sbsecond6.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭TheHeadhunter

I've been supporting the Oakland Raiders for a while now and I would be lying if I said it had been a pleasant ride the last 7 years in fact it has been god awful.

I first got into football through my Uncle who lives in Arizona and i started reading up on the history of the game. I was fascinated by the Raider mystique and by Al Davis' win at all cost's attitude to things (Just Win Baby), how he went about building the Raiders into one of the best teams in league history much the the ire of the league. I loved that they were the rough "criminal element" of the NFL and took no prisoners, from Jack Tatum and George Atkinson to John Matuszak and the party animal Ken "Snake" Stabler. The Raiders were the bad boys of the NFL and thats what got me drawn to that team initially, the history of the organisation.

I then fell in love with the Jon Gruden era Raiders. Rich Gannon & Tyrone Wheatley being my favourites and i was heartbroken to see Gruden go to Tampa and to watch the organisation treat Former League MVP Rich Gannon like crap.

And lastly i love the fans. They are seen as the roughest most obnoxious in your face fans who are renowned for making it miserable for opponents in the collesium

That's why i fell in love with the Oakland Raiders and I am very passionate about them today despite our 7 years of rubbish we have endured i am a firm believer that we will rise to the top again, eventually!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sports_fan

I remember watching the nfl on and off for a few years without ever really being a big fan. Then one Sunday night while watching a Falcons game I saw Michael Vick for the 1st time! Cant remember the game but he rushed for over 100 yards! I had never seen a QB do that and remember thinking he was so exciting to watch! Have been following the Falcons ever since. They have have gone through a rough period since his "demise" but thankfully they have put 2 winning seasons together for the 1st time in their history! Things are looking up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't have a particular team in the NFL yet, there's never been any compelling reason for me to support one (yet).

However, in college I am a big Gators fan. First year I had NASN I was watching a game, the Gators were playing and they went for a fake punt on forth down, which they converted. And that was me hooked.

That was the year Chris Leak was QB, and Tim Tebow would come off the bench on forth down to knock people over... :D (also won the BCS that year)

Because some of the lads have been bullying me into picking an NFL team, and because most people root for an NFL team for fairly arbitrary reasons I have decided my abritrary reason will be whatever team draft Tim Tebow will be my team... (unless of course he ends up going undrafted and ending up in the CFL, which some pundits suggest would be best for him)

Tebow = god.
    I fear I could be a Jaguars fan next year... :o

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Posted this on another thread the other day - I started supporting them in the mid-80s when the QB was Ken O'Brien and the kicker was Pat Leahy. Added to that they played in green so I (wrongly) assumed there was some Irish connection and so I became a Jets fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Zaph wrote: »
    Posted this on another thread the other day - I started supporting them in the mid-80s when the QB was Ken O'Brien and the kicker was Pat Leahy. Added to that they played in green so I (wrongly) assumed there was some Irish connection and so I became a Jets fan.

I became an NFL fan (before i eventually picked a team) from casually watching games with my dad on Sundays, then my mum kicking us out of the living room for the 9o'clock news then my dad kicking us out of the spare room to watch the Sunday Game.

My Dad was a casual Jets fan for the same reason as you, Zaph, a couple of irish names and the green jerseys. He'd only be a very casual fan tru the years and he would have had only a small favouring for the Jets. Two weeks ago he had surgery on his hip so now hes laid up on the couch watching every NFL playoff game and he has rekindled his love for his 'beloved' Jets...:mad: I rang home yesterday and he wouldn't shut up about that 'Sanchez kid'...damn you Dad, damn you!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Missus lived in Indy for a while, so got into them that way. Wasn't a huge NFL fan before going over, but the fact they had Manning, made it stick harder.

As for following a QB, it'll be a tough, tough time for me when Manning finally leaves Indy, but I'll always be a Colts fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

My wife and in-laws are cheese heads.

Go Pack Go!

Godmother lives in Green Bay. Used to send me annuals, teeshirts etc. Meant little to me until coverage started on RTE in the mid 80s...and quickly learned that Green Bay were pretty dire. They went 4-12 in 1986, winning 2 of their last 4 games at that. Following season was marginally better, at 5-9-1, but back to 4-12 then. But all that changed when Don Majkowski started to play QB, my first Packers hero, such a shame his career was injury prone because he was the first QB in years who drove the Pack, always remember them beating the Bears which really for me marked the end of the dark days. First winning season. Yes, that was a bit of a false dawn, as thwe Majik Man struggled with injury they slipped back to 4-12 withn 2 seasons. And then, soon after, a coach named Mike Holmgren and a QB called Faver, Farv, Favuh, we didn't know what it was, arrived, a year or 2 after Reggie White strode in...I can't say the rest is history, because at Green bay it was just another chapter in a glittering history stretching back to the late 1920s.

When you read about the franchise, there is just so much pride, tradition, history...it is an incredible sporting story that really puts other monied franchises with brand new stadia in huge cities to shame...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

49ers.
    Why? Two words, Joe Montana. And if you want two more, Jerry Rice!

Advertisement