Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFC Championship game: JETS vs COLTS

Options
  • 18-01-2010 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭

JETS%20LOGO.jpg

Colts%20logo.gif

The Rookie
    mark-sanchez-mexican-jets.jpg

The All-Pro
    peyton-manning.jpg
    Who are you shouting for in the AFC Championship Game?

The poll is shamelessly taken from another forum but anyways. Intriguing matchup, the Colts let the Jets into the playoffs taking out Peyton Manning and many of the starters when ahead and basically letting them win their way to the playoffs. They gave up on an unbeaten regular season in this game.

Suffice to say there will be a lot of unhappy Colts fans should the Colts lose this game as it would be a downfall entirely of their own making.

Interestingly just like the other game this weekend, the battle up front is going to have a huge bearing on this game. The blitzing Jets versus one of the most powerful offensive lines in the league. Darrelle Revis versus Peyton Manning is going to be a big headline all week too I'm sure. The Colts run defense and against the powerful Jets running game will be another big part of the media coverage. It should be a cracking game.

For me personally I'm going to feel dirty shouting for the Colts but it has to be done, I couldn't bear the thought of the Jets making a superbowl. I just hope the Saints can take care of Manning in the Superbowl and hear the mediots declare Brees the new king and we can forget all about the Brady vs Manning rivalry then. :)

Who are you shouting for in the AFC Championship game 51 votes

Colts
    0%
    Jets
    58%
    Fenixkmart6keano_afc[Deleted User]adrian522LirangePeyton ManningdavyjoseDowlinntallaghtoutlawsFrisbeecambridge7themont85Dr.SlurmArthur DaleydamozSea DevilskryogenEire-DeargHazys 30 votes
    Russain Roulette with a gun
    41%
    The_BullmanSeiferPherekydesgerireZaphraven136Juan Pablocolumokmikemacevil_seedTristramkev_s88RichTeai-digressSlimJIwasfrozenrich1874Royal SeahawkTheSpecialOnephatkev 21 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Jets
    Lol this is pretty much the ideal Championship Game for a Pats fan yeah? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Jets
    Voted for Colts because they will win. Shouting for no one because Houston are not in the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

The only chance the Jets have is if the game pans out like it did in San Diego, a tight cagey defensive affair. If they go 10 points+ down then they are pretty much done.

I can't believe that the Colts will mess up like the chargers did so I just can't see past them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jets
    Hoping for the colts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Jets
    Go Colts........planning my sunday evening already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭damoz

Jets
    Colts by 10. Not too high scoring - 20-10 or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Jets
    As a nuetral i seriously hope the Colts can overcome the Jets. I don't care if the game finishes as 3-0. I just don't want a superbowl with a defensive team like the Jets playing. If Manning can keep his composure and stay better protected than the job the Chargers OL done. The Colts should come out on top in a low scoring game. They need to stay away stupid penalties too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Here's hoping the Jets will win, lets get a NY team into the superbowl where they belong !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

So many thought that the Chargers win was almost a sure thing against the Jets during this weekend's playoff? I was one of them... Well, it was close, but the Jets won. Could it happen again against the Colts?

As to the earlier QB comments... Although QB Manning has been around for a long time, I would not underestimate rookie QB Sanchez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Jets
    So many thought that the Chargers win was almost a sure thing against the Jets during this weekend's playoff? I was one of them... Well, it was close, but the Jets won. Could it happen again against the Colts?

As to the earlier QB comments... Although QB Manning has been around for a long time, I would not underestimate rookie QB Sanchez.

If anyone wins this game for the Jets it wont be Sanchez. If the Jets get a balanced game going like they did against the Bengals and control the amount of times they ask Sanchez to throw the ball they have a good shot. But the more the Ball goes in his hands the less the Jets will win. They need that running game firing on all cylinders. Key points for the Jets:

- Keep the ball out of Sanchez's hands as much as possible. Creates less pressure on him to throw.

- Get that running game going quickly and effectively.

- And get pressure on Manning Defensively.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Jets
    Surprised at how many have voted for the Colts. Those Jets must be really hated!!!
    I think the biggest danger here, is us treating this like a gimme. That it ain't- this jets team have taken some big scalps this season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

davyjose wrote: »
    I think the biggest danger here, is us treating this like a gimme. That it ain't- this jets team have taken some big scalps this season.
    Indeed! I'm still groaning over the Charger loss.

Jets
    davyjose wrote: »
    Surprised at how many have voted for the Colts. Those Jets must be really hated!!!

Well I for one don't think it will be a gimme. I have been saying as much as I hate the Jets people were too quick too write them off But and a huge BUT The Chargers in fairness helped the Jets out big time on Sunday. 3 missed fields goals and just generally bad play.

The Jets defense and Shonn Greene for me were the only thing working for the Jets on Sunday. Look at the Jets 1st TD Rivers Intercepted on his own 16 and then an unnecessary roughness call after a enforced for 7 yards after Greene ran for 2 yards. Putting the Jets in the SD 7. Laid Sanchez up for an easy enough score as the SD Defense fell asleep.

If the Colts get at the Jets from the get go I just can't see the Jets offense getting them back in the game. The Jets Defense will be the key here. Pressure Manning and keep the pressure up for 4 quarters. Then Pound the ball and use Sanchez to make up whats left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Jets
    Im actually very confident going into this game, Despite their impressive win, I'd much rather face the Jets than San Diego, who have a proven pedigree of beating us in the post-season.

I agree with what tallaght said previously in so far as that the the best chance the Jets have is to keep the ball out of Sanchez's hands as much as possible. Because he may not be able to win it for them, but he sure can lose it for them in a hurry.

When push comes to shove in the post-season, its pass-plays that win the big games, which is why so few poor QB's win championships, and I'd rather face a team with a limited passing attack such as the Jets have than San Diego's prolific one.

I just cant see any defence playing at such a high level over 3 games as to lead their team to limit the respective offences of San Diego, Indianapolis, and New Orleans/Minnesota

Without trying to sound biased, I think alot has to go right for the Jets if they are to win this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,866 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

When push comes to shove in the post-season, its pass-plays that win the big games, which is why so few poor QB's win championships, and I'd rather face a team with a limited passing attack such as the Jets have than San Diego's prolific one.

I just cant see any defence playing at such a high level over 3 games as to lead their team to limit the respective offences of San Diego, Indianapolis, and New Orleans/Minnesota
    This is incorrect, if you look back over the last decade strong defense and a successful running game have been key to winning the superbowl and winning in postseason. The passing game is crucial in the regular season.
    Just go back to last season, Darren Sproles destroyed the Colts. The Steelers D was immense but it was Willie Parker who stepped up and put the Chargers away in the divisional round and it was the same Willie Parker who won them the superbowl in 05. And remember the Colts win over the Bears the year after where Rhodes and Addai went nuts. The AFCCG in 2001 when the Patriots D stopped Edge, and that years superbowl where our D came up big and Antwaine Smith was the key on offense. The AFCCG in 2004 and Corey Dillon, the Giants D in 07 against us, I could go on and on.........

As much as I hate saying it, the Jets have the right mix for playoff football.

Jets
    eagle eye wrote: »
    This is incorrect, if you look back over the last decade strong defense and a successful running game have been key to winning the superbowl and winning in postseason. The passing game is crucial in the regular season.
    Just go back to last season, Darren Sproles destroyed the Colts. The Steelers D was immense but it was Willie Parker who stepped up and put the Chargers away in the divisional round and it was the same Willie Parker who won them the superbowl in 05. And remember the Colts win over the Bears the year after where Rhodes and Addai went nuts. The AFCCG in 2001 when the Patriots D stopped Edge, and that years superbowl where our D came up big and Antwaine Smith was the key on offense. The AFCCG in 2004 and Corey Dillon, the Giants D in 07 against us, I could go on and on.........

As much as I hate saying it, the Jets have the right mix for playoff football.

I would agree with you in some ways but do you not think saying his opinion is incorrect is a tad arrogant?

He did say:
    I just cant see any defence

A lot of what he said is valid but to say it is incorrect is madness. eagleeye I think you missed what he was saying here.

As for your point I have always said you need a healthy mix of Run/Pass and a solid defense but I was shot down in another thread but that is another days story.

In this case the Jets don't have that healthy mix and will be asking their 2 Backs and that defense to step it up. Because if they have to put the ball in Sanchez's hand too often it will be their downfall.

I would agree with you in some ways but do you not think saying his opinion is incorrect is a tad arrogant?

He did say:

A lot of what he said is valid but to say it is incorrect is madness. eagleeye I think you missed what he was saying here.

As for your point I have always said you need a healthy mix of Run/Pass and a solid defense but I was shot down in another thread but that is another days story.

In this case the Jets don't have that healthy mix and will be asking their 2 Backs and that defense to step it up. Because if they have to put the ball in Sanchez's hand too often it will be their downfall.
    Its incorrect to say that its pass plays that win big games. Yes it happened that way in the Superbowl the last two years, but it certainly is not the norm.

Jets
    Its incorrect to say that its pass plays that win big games. Yes it happened that way in the Superbowl the last two years, but it certainly is not the norm.

It is his opinion though. Rather than say he is incorrect straight out why not discuss it with him? To shoot him down right off the bat is silly. I have learned that in here and have had to apologise to people because at times I get lost in my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭gerire

The Jets defense and Shonn Greene for me were the only thing working for the Jets on Sunday. Look at the Jets 1st TD Rivers Intercepted on his own 16 and then an unnecessary roughness call after a enforced for 7 yards after Greene ran for 2 yards. Putting the Jets in the SD 7. Laid Sanchez up for an easy enough score as the SD Defense fell asleep.

When that sequence happened I turned to my buddie in the Pub and said that we were odds on to score a touchdown. We have absolutely no problems moving the ball 6-8 yards; Its getting 10's that were our problem the other night; If we can sort that out we will give the colts a serious game

My heart says Jets but we need another huge showing from our D, which going on all things so far this season is possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

I'm going with Colts because I think they can go all the way this year, and have thought so since midway through the season. But the Jets do present a major obstacle.

IMO there is no hard and fast mould for a Superbowl-winning team. I reckon the two most prevalent types of winning teams fit into one of two categories:

1) High scoring offense with turnover-generating defense. The defense can give up yards/scores, but is focused on getting the ball back to allow the offense to keep the lead.
    2) Consistent running game with smothering defense. The defense shuts down everything, while the offense controls the clock and notches up a couple of TDs. Once their opponent goes behind, it's very difficult to come back.

The great thing about this game is that we kinda have one of each.

Even though the Jets are more about D and the running game, I don't know if they'll be able to 'hide' Sanchez. He's their biggest weakness. If the Colts take the lead, the game could fall apart very quickly. Anything that forces Sanchez to dropback in an obvious passing situation, which will happen more often playing from behind, is bad for the Jets. As long as they're within a TD, they can work the running game and playaction.

Anyway - Colts to win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

I think the Colts offence took a while to score against a banged up ravens secondary and really should have scored a lot more than 20 - particularily with the lack of pressure on manning in the first half.

They'll have a tougher time against the Jets secondary. I think the Jets are likely to hold onto the ball early and score and I reckon Sanchez won't be needed to come back from behind. I do think that the Jets will meet their match against the vikes in the superbowl!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Jets
    Has to be Colts for me...biased of course!

And in a moment of madness.....I'm predicting Wayne to have a big game against Revis and get off that damn island!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

It's obvious what the battle here is. The Colts cheat up to stop the run. They're small, but they're fast and they can and do make tackles. They defend the run almost to excess.

They make it so the rookie has to throw for it. They bait him, basically.

If that happens, two things can happen. It can backfire, he'll hit big passes, the Colts have to back up anyway and the Jets could sneak it.

OR

He throws a pick early, the Colts go up 14 and Mark Sanchez realises he's firefighting PEYTON MANNING, packs his bags and heads home at halftime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

would everyone including a lot of pundits please stop saying we have a good chance against the Colts.We have no pass offence,a rookie coach,a rookie qb,please stop.All this hope is killing me:D

Rofl, rofl, rofl:pac::pac::pac:

Jets-Fatman-And-Robin1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Rofl, rofl, rofl:pac::pac::pac:

Jets-Fatman-And-Robin1.jpg
    Haha, that is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

I think I'll have a slice of the Colts -8 at 20/21.

I think putting anything on that game either way is nuts. Its just impossible to call, either team can win it. I think -8 is just terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I'm backing Mark Sanchez, hope the Jets win... set up a good one in the SB

Underrated QB.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Jets
    Based on how they have overcome 2 big games being underdogs it would be easy for me to say the Jets. But with Mannings play off experience i have a feeling he can put the Colts 10-14 points up. This is where it will fall into the hands of Sanchez and i just don't think he's good or reliable enough to move the ball up and down the field. Once he is forced to throw i just can't see this going in favor of the Jets. Last week Gates got close to 100 against their D. And even with Revis rotating against Jackson he put up over 100. I have a feeling Garcon or Collie is going to have a big game.

Advertisement