Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fcuking Eyesores!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,329 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Busaras in Dublin, ugly piece of 60s "architecture". I quite like the Spike though so maybe I'm not the best judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    Default Town.
    Is Amsterdam default town now? When did this happen?
    I thought Rotterdam was bigger/better?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Can't believe Civic Offices on Wood Quay haven't been mentioned yet. They obscure the view of Christchurch Cathedral from the Northside and look desperate from Dame Street.

bluefinger wrote: »
    Can't believe Civic Offices on Wood Quay haven't been mentioned yet. They obscure the view of Christchurch Cathedral from the Northside and look desperate from Dame Street.

Was just about to edit my post to include that. Not an ugly building but the one it obstructs is just so much better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    The Parisiens hated their Great Phallic Symbol in the Sky when it first went up but sentimentality won them over in the end ,as will the Spike,no doubt,eventually finding a place in Dubliners' hearts.

Yes because it reminds them of something else that finds its way into their veins. I doubt the 'spike' will arouse as much awe as the Eiffel tower in fairness.

• Advertisement

El Siglo wrote: »
    Yes because it reminds them of something else that finds its way into their veins. I doubt the 'spike' will arouse as much awe as the Eiffel tower in fairness.

How witty! All Dubs are junkies and spike looks like needle.:rolleyes: You're wasted on us, the spirt of Wilde lives on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Anyone from Galway will know this disaster of a building, completely out of keeping with the area it's in. Looks more like the new MI5 headquarters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Whites Hotel in Wexford. Big green pod of a yoke at the front entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ronano

OutlawPete wrote: »
    The thread that should have been.

What would you class as the biggest 'eye sore' in the 32 counties?

For me it has to be that Vodafone screen on Henry St, wrecks my head.

Stick Sky Sports on it or gtfo.

So what's yours?

People not allowed :)

God completely!

It's too loud,bright and doesn't fit into the scheme of the street. When is it getting removed! I hate it with a passion

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I think this arose over a problem with planning, but I much preferred the Central Bank of Ireland (Dame Street, Dublin) when the cross beams on the roof were exposed. The railings they have at the bottom to keep the steps 'private' are woeful too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

UCD.

Giant concrete slab city!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Anyone from Galway will know this disaster of a building, completely out of keeping with the area it's in. Looks more like the new MI5 headquarters.
    You know, I don't really mind it. It's the Burren Mount next door that I find most offensive on the old eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

The spire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Dorset street
    Bolands mill
    Poolbeg chimneys

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Dublin port area. Beautiful hills and all that behind, blocked by **** load of cranes, extremely large oil containers and other industrial crap. You'll know what I mean if you've ever looked at the mountains from the clontarf seafront.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

County Leitrim
    The Spire
    Liberty Hall
    Civic Bunkers on Wood Quay
    Hawkins House Social Welfare Offices on Hawkins Street
    ILAC Centre
    The entire DART line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

Cork Street/Coombe area of Dublin is an eyesore in general. They attempted to develop it during the property boom, but they did a half job and what's left is some vacant high-rises,a load of empty (waiting to be demolished) corpo flats and some of the most disgustingly ugly factories I've ever seen. I feel sorry for the people who live around there - 'specially those who bought exorbitantly priced shoe box apartments - it's majorly depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

forgot to mention the civic offices beside Christchurch - talk about ruining one of Dublins/Irelands most beautiful creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

The Poolbeg Chimneys have to be high up on that list.

I hope they tear them down soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Arnott's Carpark on Abbey St.

Everytime I see it I rememeber The Adelphi :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Sulmac wrote: »
    The Poolbeg Chimneys have to be high up on that list.

I hope they tear them down soon.

Noooo...........!

Don't like the abandoned bathing place at Blackrock Dart Station. Or Liberty Hall.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The abandoned Parkway Valley shopping centre. Thank you Liam Carroll, thank you very much.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

ESB offices on Fitzwilliam Street.
    Loop Line Bridge.
    Hawkins House
    Dublin Bus office on O'Connell Street
    bluefinger wrote: »

Not to mention what they built over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

The Burren Mount, Salthill, Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

The new Courts of Criminal Justice on Parkgate St. . Sticks out like a sore thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I still don't get the hatred of the Spire i think it suffers from the whole Irish mentality of being skeptical and cynical about about anything new or different. Anybody i know who visited the city was pretty impressed with it, seems to be only the Irish who have a problem with it maybe because its not a big 50 foot monument erected in honour of Michael Collins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

F.R. wrote: »
    The new Courts of Criminal Justice on Parkgate St. . Sticks out like a sore thumb.

Have to disagree, I think it fits in quite nicely

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/images/2009/1123/243136_1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

alwaysadub wrote: »
    the spire is an obvious one. Whoever came up with the idea of sticking a big(now dirty)needle in the middle of O Connell St should've got a needle shoved in their eye as punishment..
    So much for it being self cleaning! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

F.R. wrote: »

Cost €300m and doesn't even have anywhere to park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Quint wrote: »
    Cost €300m and doesn't even have anywhere to park

Where did you get your figure?

Irishtimes.com
    A €140 million criminal court complex designed to centralise and augment Dublin’s existing courts services was unveiled today.
    The Criminal Courts of Justice (CCJ), located on the western side of the city’s legal quarter on the corner of Parkgate Street and Infirmary Road, contains 22 courts and an additional 450 rooms.

Advertisement