Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Restaurant in Greystones

Options
  • 16-01-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Had a similiar thread on the Wicklow forum with only a little interest so i'll try here,if i knew how i would like to do a poll of all the eat in restaurants in the area.

I've only lived here a couple of years but i've now been to every restaurant so i can give an honest opinion at last.

It's sometimes hard to compare a good asian with a god european meal as they're so different but i'm rating this simply on Quality of produce,taste and atmosphere.

For me it's a hands down win for Three Q's,the food there is quality,never been dissapointed,great also for the big breakfast which is without doubt the best fry up you'll ever have

At the moment they have a special of €22 for 2 courses which is very good
    My top 3
    1.Three Q's
    2.The Hungry Monk(upstairs)
    3.Jaipur

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

heavyballs wrote: »

My top 3
    1.Three Q's
    3.Jaipur

I think Three Q's is WAY over-rated, been there twice now and won't be going back again.

Hungry Monk (Upstairs), I thought was very good.

But Jaipur has to be the best for me in Greystones by a long long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

tiptap wrote: »
    I think Three Q's is WAY over-rated, been there twice now and won't be going back again.

Hungry Monk (Upstairs), I thought was very good.

But Jaipur has to be the best for me in Greystones by a long long way.

what makes it over-rated iyo,about a month ago i went to Ramsey's Restaurant in Enniskerry,was very impressed but for me Three Q's was not far off in terms of quality of food,not to mention the cost saving

Last week i had mushroom brioche,lamb shank and choc fondant,i honestly could not fault it in any way,and i eat out at least once a week so i have a good idea of what the competition is like around

In saying that i agree Jaipur is great but not up to this
    I just hope there's a bit of interest in the thread to get a wider opinion from the locals,

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Hungry Monk is great. As is Jaipur. Was pleasantly surprised how good Pasta et Vino is. No nonsense good quality food, well cooked and good service.Been twice and will go again tomorrow. We are spolied for choice. 3Qs, yeh, tend to agree.
    Had to laugh, last time I was in the Monk, Dermot Gavin was there celebrating his little daughters birthday. His dinner guest arrived in a plume of smoke wearing a cape. It was that David Gest fellah. He seemed to want people to recognise him. Putting on the cape and cane everytime he stepped out for a fag or pee. Nobody paid a blind bit of notice.

Bocellis, Bels and Scent garden are all wasted opportunities. If they were any good, we would have a culinary paradise here in Greystones. Pity la Paysan and Marc Michels are gone.Tapas restaurant opening soon. Would be great if we had a lobster restaurant with local produce served.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Jaipur by a country mile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,817 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hungry Monk upstairs is probably the best - it really is top notch but very pricey. Difficult to compare with Chakra/Jaipur which is also an excellent restaurant, though it is part of a chain.

3 Qs is decent, Royal Park is a very good chinese and I quite like Bocellis as a cheap and friendly Italian. We also have a first-class Indian Takeaway in the Indian Spice, so overall the town is very well served - not quite Kinsale, but a damn sight better than Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭bido

Jaipur by a country mile!

What i like about this restaurant is the kitchen you would'nt believe how clean it is.
    In the course of my business I have never seen a kitchen as clean it is spotless.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Bocellis, Bels and Scent garden are all wasted opportunities. If they were any good, we would have a culinary paradise here in Greystones. Pity la Paysan and Marc Michels are gone.Tapas restaurant opening soon. Would be great if we had a lobster restaurant with local produce served.

Exactly. Local beer and food served from garden of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Eoin D

Jaipur for me, have no time for the hungry monk.

Eoin D wrote: »

Curious as to why? The odd owner perhaps. Ignore him and the place is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭gar.k

Eoin D wrote: »

Totally agree.I have only been their twice.I had heard so many peope rave about it but was very disappointed. Was just average on both occasions whereas Jaipur has been consistently top notch, but hey we all have different tastes.3Qs brunch is awesome!

gar.k wrote: »
    Totally agree.I have only been their twice.I had heard so many peope rave about it but was very disappointed. Was just average on both occasions whereas Jaipur has been consistently top notch, but hey we all have different tastes.3Qs brunch is awesome!
    The monk. It's not wanky creative on the food side. Just good quality produce, cooked well and served by good staff. The wine list is very expansive by any standards and the restaurant is comfortable and warm and not at all stuffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Wasn't very impressed by the Three Q's, they do have the nicest chips I have ever tasted though.

I don't really like Indian food that much, but I absolutely adore Chakra which is a testament to how nice it is. Id love to be able to buy some of the dips they use for the starters.

The monk. It's not wanky creative on the food side. Just good quality produce, cooked well and served by good staff. The wine list is very expansive by any standards and the restaurant is comfortable and warm and not at all stuffy.

Thats why I was looking forward to eating there so much.I love no frills cooking with fresh local produce but i was underwhelmed on both occasions just didnt do it for me.maybe I had built it up too much after all the great reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

Who is dermot gavin?

award winning tv gardener.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

JandS wrote: »
    Who is dermot gavin?

He was in Father Ted, captained Ireland to three world cup victories in Knock Down Ginger, directed Inglourious Basterds, was head chef at Poulet frit par Kentuckye, in Bray. He's also up for eviction in this weeks Norwegian Big Brother with Des O'Connor.

Gavin is 23.

i'll get my coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

I love the 3 q's, it's my absolute favourite, most of the dishes have absolutely great ingredients and are a little different, that said it wouldn't be for the fussy eater. I like the hungry monk downstairs for a cheap eat. Then it's Chakra.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

Having eaten in all the restaurants in Greystones at some point or other, I think Chakra is head and shoulders above the others. The food is consistently good, the staff are fantastic and it offers great value. You can spend a fortune in there if you like, but you can also get a main course and a glass of wine for around €20 midweek and given the quality it's hard to argue with that.

Otherwise, I like 3Qs - a smashing place for a nice brunch - and while The Hungry Monk is obviously a good restaurant, it's pretty expensive for what it is and I certainly couldn't afford to go there on a weekly basis. The wine bar is nice though, and you can also get a decent main course and glass of wine for around €20 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

I think Chakra is the best by a country mile -- fantastic food and brilliant service, but the best thing of all is the consistency. I've never had a bad meal there, and I think in this day and age, when most of us are having to cut back on the number of times we're eating out, that's really important.

Really like brunch in 3Q's and yes their chips are indeed fab. Not fond of Vino Pasta, I think it's mediocre and overpriced -- for authentic Italian food I would head out of Greystones to Campo de Fiori in Bray.

Sorry to say, cos I really like the guys, but I don't rate the food in the Happy Pear, the chef seems to be allergic to seasoning as it's always very bland. Bar food in the Burnaby also pretty poor, in my opinion.

Really looking forward to trying the new tapas restaurant, would be great to have somewhere casual and reasonably priced to nip into for dinner and a glass of wine after work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Chakra / Jaipur - for range, service, consistency and value for money - every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

My top 3
    1.Three Q's
    3.Jaipur

I agree with your choices and the order they are in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

royal park would be my favorite of the ones i've visited so far.
    Not mad about the 3qs menu but i did have my best steak there (it was the only thing on the menu that appealed to me).
    used to like bocellis but wont be going there anymore

where is jaipur?.... sounds like it must be visited

jaipur is Chakra, its in the meridian centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭ChillyJilly

Definitely Chakra, hands down the best restaurant in greystones.
    Hungry Monk is also extremely good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭NarkyBoots

I think it depends on what sort of a "night out" you're having.

We'd be pretty casual so we love the Hungry Monk downstairs.

I don't like the 3Qs - I just don't like places with "notions".

Chakra poses a problem for me as there is no spiciness indicator on the food and I have been caught rapid there needing about a gallon of natural yogurt to eat my dinner which is not ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

A bit vague can you elaborate

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭krieture

NarkyBoots wrote: »
    I think it depends on what sort of a "night out" you're having.

We'd be pretty casual so we love the Hungry Monk downstairs.

Chakra poses a problem for me as there is no spiciness indicator on the food and I have been caught rapid there needing about a gallon of natural yogurt to eat my dinner which is not ideal.

Chakra do have some of the most helpful/attentive staff possible. So even without a spiceiness indicator on the menu all you have to do is ask. They are always very helpful and knowledgeable.

Gotta agree about the happy pear. Most of the mains are bland and pricey. The soup is usually a safe bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

NarkyBoots wrote: »

i find the service is excellent,the staff are friendly but not ott,
    re Chakra,was there on Saturday night,wasn't overly impressed,food was good but when you factor in the cost compared to other restaurants in the area,i won't be going back in a hurry
    One of the earlier posters said that it was great value during the week if you just go for a main and a glass of wine,wow,so are most places i find,
    On Saturday we were out for the night with another couple for the usual 3 courses so that wasn't an option for us,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lumbarda

Chakra's early bird menu (3 courses) is fantastic value and excellent quality, in fact it's so good that, to be honest, we rarely try any of the other restaurants (we don't eat out that often!)! Have been upstairs in the Hungry Monk a couple of times, first time was very good if pricey, but went for the Sunday lunch there once and was a bit disappointed with the quality of the food.

Advertisement