Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alternative to a MINI

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

kona wrote: »
    DC5 Integra Type R

An alternative to a Mini? Seriously??

Nice car though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Shane732 wrote: »
    Fiat 500 Abarth - The residual value of it will be reasonable compared to a twingo. The abarth is actually something that very fun to drive and will hold it's own against any of those other supermini's.

Even if you don't want to splash out on the Abarth, a nicely spec'd 500 would be a good choice.

Having said that, what I'd do if I was you is buy a secondhand Mini Cooper. Lovely car, plenty of room for 2 and highest residual value of any car out there. So much fun to drive, it just sticks to the road. I owned a Cooper for 18 months and loved it. I actually miss it at times. :o

OP wants to make use of the scrappage scheme

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes but no harm in making him aware that perhaps buying a use car would be as good value wise as making ue of scrappage scheme on a new car.

Amazing value in 2009 cars.

Hence why I was recommending a 500

I thought we were getting past the whole plate vanity thing anyway? Perhaps not...

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes but no harm in making him aware that perhaps buying a use car would be as good value wise as making ue of scrappage scheme on a new car.

Amazing value in 2009 cars.

Agreed! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Hence why I was recommending a 500

I thought we were getting past the whole plate vanity thing anyway? Perhaps not...

???
    I was only pointing out what was mentioned in the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

ford_focus_2010c.jpg

A two door one of these yokes, lowered this year btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Not on sale yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Me ? Abarth - no contest

OK, maybe the Mito. Same family though, so they must be doing something right !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

galwaytt wrote: »
    Me ? Abarth - no contest

OK, maybe the Mito. Same family though, so they must be doing something right !

Isn't the 1.4TSi Skoda Fabia out soon?

Seat Ibiza 3 door is nice..

Seat_Ibiza_1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Ibiza is a lovely little thing but it's not fun enough to be a mini alternative unless yet get a tsi and even then it feels too grown up

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Dark-Mavis

Fiat 500 Abarth - The residual value of it will be reasonable compared to a twingo. The abarth is actually something that very fun to drive and will hold it's own against any of those other supermini's.

Even if you don't want to splash out on the Abarth, a nicely spec'd 500 would be a good choice.

Having said that, what I'd do if I was you is buy a secondhand Mini Cooper. Lovely car, plenty of room for 2 and highest residual value of any car out there. So much fun to drive, it just sticks to the road. I owned a Cooper for 18 months and loved it. I actually miss it at times. :o

Thought the Abarth wasn't available in Ireland:confused:

No words... just look at the pic... if you are over 40 - you'll get it! ;)

2010-Opel-Corsa-Color-Race-7.jpg

Dark-Mavis wrote: »

That ADDS to the OP's request for street-cred, then ! :)

.....is it def not avail here ? :(

....I saw a 'Diesel' (the brand, not the fuel) special edition one lately - gorgeous.

fiat-500-diesel-edition-1.jpg

diesel_500_paris_450.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    That ADDS to the OP's request for street-cred, then ! :)

.....is it def not avail here ? :(

....I saw a 'Diesel' (the brand, not the fuel) special edition one lately - gorgeous.

fiat-500-diesel-edition-1.jpg

diesel_500_paris_450.jpg

IIRC the interior is denim or leather or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

An alternative to a Mini? Seriously??

Nice car though

Well, as a suggestion to a 2 door car with "street cred".

Superminis dont get you street cred. They get you sly remarks about your sexuality from insecure morons IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭1922

mockery of a thread, no mention of the Toyta iQ yet

tut tut

iQ_0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

1922 wrote: »
    mockery of a thread, no mention of the Toyta iQ yet

tut tut

iQ_0.jpg

They are almost wider then they are long:D

They said they are small, but they are not.

So whats their point?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

kona wrote: »
    They are almost wider then they are long:D

They said they are small, but they are not.

So whats their point?

Trying to replicate the Smart, but badly failing at it.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Twingo 133, Corsa OPC, Alfa Mito, Fiat 500

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I don't know much about cars but I vote Suzuki Swift because it's one of my favourite small cars and happens to look quite similar to a Mini.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Marlow wrote: »
    Trying to replicate the Smart, but badly failing at it.

/M

The smart has only 2 seats, an awful gearbox and dubious safety, Why would you want to replicate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Dark-Mavis wrote: »
    There are definitely a few here, my brother's neighbour has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭MarkN

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

MarkN wrote: »
    Or the 140 BHP Abath!!!

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/500/Abath-1./201003196655416/advert?channel=CARS

The Colt Rallyart would be my choice though. None for sale on Carzone

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The smart has only 2 seats, an awful gearbox and dubious safety, Why would you want to replicate it?

...Smart car is same NCAP rating as the (new) Toyota Urban Cruiser - so can we call that crap as well ?

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Smart car and Urban Cruiser were tested on a completely different system.

The UC was tested on the new system which is unbelievably harder than the pre-2002 system that the Smart was tested on.

a car that got a 5 star rating in 2008 may well only get 3 stars on the new system.
    Similarly another car that got a 4 star rating on the old system like the 99 model Punto would seriously struggle on the new system, particularly the side impact tests.

Take a look at the videos of the new test to see what I mean.

FYI the iQ got 5 stars on the new test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 pth

citroen_ds3_f34_09-fr-as_1_815.jpg

Wait a few months and get the new DS3. The CO2 emissions mean it will qualify for scrappage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

si_guru wrote: »

Yes, but not in turbo form:

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.ie/configurator/index.cfm?fuseaction=mit.Standard&variantID=6605

€14,889 new with acceleration (0-100 km/h) sec. 9.9

Edit: Just checked the UK site, they dont sell the 1.5 without the turbo, paddy spec doesn't get the turbo:mad:

Advertisement