Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buy me a 2010 estate, diesel.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

kyote00 wrote: »
    Its a nice car, is it the boxer diesel I wonder ?
    Yes, it is the boxermotor and the only Diesel in this configuration ever in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

P.C. wrote: »

I got a brand new one of those for 27k 6 months ago. Subaru showrooms still selling previous model but its Cat C for tax. New model is Cat D :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

kyote00 wrote: »
    It also have 13000km's on it so not really fair to compare it price wise....

Its a nice car, is it the boxer diesel I wonder ?
    Seweryn wrote: »
    Yes, it is the boxermotor and the only Diesel in this configuration ever in a car.
    Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I got a brand new one of those for 27k 6 months ago. Subaru showrooms still selling previous model but its Cat C for tax. New model is Cat D :confused:

1.) 13 000 km's is nothing - not even run in.
    2.) it is boxer diesel
    3.) Thanks Lex Luthor - I thought it was Cat D tax. :o Cat C even better
    4.) that is the 'asking price'

Why am I defending this car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The new model is barely over the Band C threashold (at least in saloon fomat - by 1g/100km) because it's bigger and heavier. As you know it's also AWD.

For me it would be the Legacy (old or new model) or the Superb.

You'd get a great deal on a run-out Legacy as the new model arrived in the showrooms in recent weeks.

I'd take the Subaru but would probably recommend the Skoda as possibly suiting your needs better - as long as you don't pick the 1.9tdi....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

P.C. wrote: »
    Why am I defending this car?
    Probably because you can't beat it in the "overall package" value. The best bit of that car is the AWD system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Insignia Sports Tourer, 2.0CDTi 130 or 160 ps ecoFLEX. SC with Plus pack or SE might fall in to budget (fair amount of discount available on Opel's). Don't have my pricing in front of me, but I think they both fall in to Band B for tax and are nice motors to drive. Not as quick as the power output suggests, and the boot isn't huge for an estate.

Think the SE has Auto closing boot, Elite definately does but don't know if that would fall within budget.

New design so will look fresh for a few years.

pburns wrote: »
    The new model is barely over the Band C threashold (at least in saloon fomat - by 1g/100km) because it's bigger and heavier. As you know it's also AWD.

thats all it takes pburns...pity that it happened but it will put people off...talking to the salesman the other day it was one thing he said could harm sales

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

... it was one thing he said could harm sales
    The other thing being the fact that Subaru took a great car and replaced it with a more expensive not so great car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Octavia Combi is Band A for CO2 in manual form (119g CO2/km).
    List price is only 22k for Ambiente spec, meets all your requirements for very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

The 22k version is a 1.6tdi with 106hp which is going to struggle a little - also only euro ncap 4

My list so far is:
    Skoda Superb estate
    Subara Legacy estate (probably the 09 version)
    Avensis tourer

• Advertisement

With regard to the power I've driven it and found it quite acceptable for a family car to be honest. No doubt it will be easily remappable to 130bhp or so in the near future. Or if you prefer, go for the 2.0L PD140 version for 24k.

You can add curtain airbags as an option which would likely make more or less equal to anything else with regard to safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

@ OP Hold on here a little............

Why are you so determined to get a band B car????

Road tax, even if it was a band D @ €447 is the CHEAPEST part of motoring.

You are going to spend €30k on the car and keep it for say 4 years. In that time the car will probably be worth €15k.

Thats an average of depreciation of € 3,750 A YEAR.

Difference between band B and band D tax is around €290. So road tax is only penny's in the bigger picture

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

Thanks. I understand depreciation argument and the madness of buying news cars. However, its not a major concern for me as I do get the benefit of a new car ....

On the tax front, I dont really see what benefit I get for road tax, so I am just trying to get the annual running costs down.

Given that, do have any suggestions to add to the list :D
    mullingar wrote: »

You are going to spend €30k on the car and keep it for say 4 years. In that time the car will probably be worth €15k.

Difference between band B and band D tax is around €290. So road tax is only penny's in the bigger picture

While that may be the case if the OP intended to park up the car for 4 years, one can only assume that he intends to drive it.

Tax Band is dependent on CO2 output which is directly proportional to fuel use.

Take 2 cars that would meet his requirements and assume he drives say 30,000km / year.

Octavia 1.6TDI CR
    Combined Fuel Consumption 4.5L/100km
    Annual Fuel Cost = 300*4.5*€1.15=€1552.5
    Legacy Estate 2.0L TD
    Combined Fuel Consumption 5.7L/100km
    Annual Fuel Cost=300*5.7*€1.15=€1966.50

So about €400 more / year on fuel
    Added to the €200 increase in road tax.

So thats €2400 over the 4 years assuming fuel prices remain the same, the more they rise the more you save with a more economical car.

The newest model legacy is another €150 or so / annum on fuel + the extra road tax of €130 or so not to mention being a lot more expensive from the outset.

That brings the running cost of a new legacy to nearly €1k more per year than the Octavia even with a very moderate amount of driving annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Darwin

I still see the Legacy ahead of the Octavia in terms of safety (AWD makes a lot of sense given our crap weather and crap roads) and reliability.

flame suit firmly on and zipped up but I like the look and price of the Yeti...not an estate but looks like a good all round practical family car

looking at the prices of the octavia combi's just there and they are seriously competitive...

if it was an octy you were going for my choice would be the 2.0TDi manual Elegance for 25,570.

Darwin wrote: »
    I still see the Legacy ahead of the Octavia in terms of safety (AWD makes a lot of sense given our crap weather and crap roads) and reliability.
    While I'm a big fan of AWD myself I think as a safety device for the masses it's of questionable benefit.
    Regardless, the Octavia is also available in standard 4x4 (like the legacy) or in 4x4 with raised suspension (like the outback) as the Skoda Scout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

Darwin wrote: »
    flame suit firmly on and zipped up but I like the look and price of the Yeti...not an estate but looks like a good all round practical family car

looking at the prices of the octavia combi's just there and they are seriously competitive...

if it was an octy you were going for my choice would be the 2.0TDi manual Elegance for 25,570.

Actually I was looking at a Yeti the other day, nice yoke but's it's not as big as you might think (although it weas parked beside a Superb!)

Can't believe I'm saying this cos I'm totally against the 'SUV-as-fashion-statement' and think anyone who uses a Navara/Landcruiser every day is certifiable but given the poor state of the roads at the moment with potholes etc. I'd seriously consider a Forester over a Legacy if buying at the moment.
    Longer suspention travel+higher profile tyres=fewer punctures:o!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Remember, VRT is also based on co2 emissions. That's why the 2.0 Diesel Avensis is only 400 quid more than the 1.6 petrol.

FWIW, I picked up my 2.0 Diesel Avensis during the week and put 100 miles on it today. I'm well impressed - nice interior, corners very well, overtaking is a breeze, all safety kit as standard and it only sounds like a diesel when the engine is worked hard. Well worth taking one for a test drive.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

Is there a particular reason you're going for a 2010 as opposed to a 2009?

I agree with the comments re motor tax - pick the car first then look at the tax band. I saw a comment re the co2 being directly associated with the consumption, while in some cases this is correct it's not always correct.

Lots of decent recommendations some others are....

Volvo V50 - It's a decent car, not amazing for anything but decent. Okay residual value but small market.

Audi A4 Advant - Estate version of what has become a very good selling A4 (in recessionary times) for Audi. Might be a little bit outside your price range but you should be able to pick up a 09 120 - 143bhp version for €30k. Probably going to have the best residual value of anything in it's class.

Jaguar X-Type Estate - Already mentioned above. Reliability is not an issue - it's a fine car. Extremely good value based on 2008 price-list (dropped €10K) so you'd imagine that the residual value will be decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

There is another option....

*Please note that individual with weak stomachs should not look at this image!

Shane732 wrote: »
    There is another option....

*Please note that individual with weak stomachs should not look at this image!

its another Yeti/Urban Cruiser from the look of it...

its very competitively priced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 crenacille

How about the Renault Laguna III Sports Tourer?

media?id=7414025&width=400&height=300

Band B, 5 star NCAP.

Prices range from €21.5K to €26K inlcuding scrappage.

Advertisement