Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post your favourite 20 albums and I'll rate your musical taste out of 10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭MR NINE

In no particular order:

1.Neil Young - Tonights The Night
    2Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
    3Fionn Regan - The End Of History
    4Steve Earle And The Del McCoury Band - The Mountain
    5Joni Mitchell - Court And Spark
    6Tom Waits - Closing Time
    7Bruce Springsteen - Devils And Dust
    8Ben Allison - Cowboy Justice
    9Sigur Ros - Takk
    10The Beatles - Abbey Road
    11Pink Floyd - Darkside Of The Moon
    12Nirvana - Unplugged
    13Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
    14My Morning Jacket - The Tennessee Fire
    15Jurassic 5 - Power In Numbers
    16Nathan Fake - Drowning In A Sea Of Love
    17Bob Dylan - Love And Theft
    18Beck - Odelay
    19Bright Eyes - I'm Wide Awake It's Morning
    20Vitalic - OK Cowboy

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

pinksoir wrote: »
    To be honest, and this will come off as weird and probably offensive, but if I'm talking to someone in the real world about music and they express a dislike or even apathy for/towards the Beatles, I absolutely just discard their opinion on all music. I can't take them seriously at all. It's like an immediate deal-breaker. My eyes just glaze over. Probably something I should work on...

The two most profound cultural forces of the last half century were the Beatles and the Simpsons. During both of their golden ages they pulled completely disparate elements from popular culture and brought them together in a way that connected with the listening/viewing world that tapped into latent memories of experiences of those elements. They are, in effect, a manifestation of popular culture in general. They each became genres unto themselves. Culture, and more distinctly popular culture, is what binds us all together. It is what gives people a sense of belonging. It is one of the greatest parts of being human.

If I come across people who dislike either I'm suspicious. If they dislike both, I'm severely worried.

To me the bealtes were the right good looking boy band in the right place at the right time. Not directed at you pinky (you displayed the opposite of what you said in your previous post) but when i come across fan boi's that disregard people's opinions because they don't like the beatles i laugh.
    They were not the be all and end all. I think it's wrong for bands to be above criticism. I love alot of whingy morbid ridden doom masters when someone says how can i listen to that i find it easier to either ignore them or meet them half way. Regardless of the outcome i will still to what i consider great music.

Also if you want to talk social commentary you have the clash, the specials, the ramones even the kinks spring to mind more than the beatles. They were a pop band. I can actually see your simpsons reference more than the beatles one, not saying it's not there at all.

Aside: Maybe think of splitting the thread i'm sure some of the people waiting for Kolds scathing attacks aren't enjoying our back and forth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭FlashGordon1969

Well, until the great man awakes from his slumber-The Beatles are not of course above criticism. Some of their albums, as I have previously noted are pedestrian but overall you cant deny their innovation or influence. I think what can happen to the Beatles as well as,dare I say it- the Eagles, is that people become sick of hearing them.

They have been re-packaged to death. Let them be at this stage. I do overall agree that anyone who does not like them is quite suspect to me ,though I'm at the age where I dislike great swathes of the population for practically anything. What's the idea of track suits as daily wear-are you going for a run??!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm really, really sick of the Beatles at this stage. To the extent that I can't really hear what I liked about them in the first stage. They've been copied and ripped off so many times much of their innovation isn't really detectable to my ears anymore. It's just become MOR rock sludge. Ditto with Eagles, Rolling Stones and the like. There's a fair bit of other 60's/70's music I'd much rather listen to because it hasn't been ran into the ground by excessive radio play. No music is so brilliant its immune to being overexposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kavtones

in no order
    rumors-fleetwood mac
    after the goldrush-young
    who's next the who
    abbey road the beatles
    blood on the tracks-dylan
    running on empty-jackson browne
    born to run-bruce springsteen
    59' sound-gaslight anthem
    astral weeks van morrison
    blonde on blonde dylan
    late for the sky-jackson browne
    hotel california-eagles
    live and danherous-thin lizzy
    automatic for the people-rem
    the stone roses-the stone roses
    funeral-arcade fire
    x and y-coldplay
    master of puppets-metallica
    figure 8-elliot smith
    exile on main street-the rolling stones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

lordgoat wrote: »
    To me the bealtes were the right good looking boy band in the right place at the right time. Not directed at you pinky (you displayed the opposite of what you said in your previous post) but when i come across fan boi's that disregard people's opinions because they don't like the beatles i laugh.

To be honest, I don't really do that. I have found that when I do come across people who don't like the Beatles it's usually because they're not that familiar with them. In other words they've heard the number 1 album and maybe a few bits and pieces. I defy anyone to listen to Abbey Road from start to finish and not enjoy it immensely.

I agree that they were in the right place at the right time. That's the case for absolutely every huge band ever. That's the nature of the business. At their time bands had a shelf life of a couple of years at best. If you ever see any interviews with them from their early career they're very self deprecating. They know they're lucky to be where they are and that it will be transient. The fact that they were able to make a career of it was due the the fact that they pushed the bar out. They pushed the limits of what pop music could be. Sure, they were just a band. I absolutely believe that without George Martin they would have disappeared after a couple of years and be footnotes. But the competition between Lennon and McCartney, and Harrison's battle with them to even get songs on an album was a massive driving force, meaning the standard kept raising as both Lennon and McCartney tried to outdo one another and Harrison tried to keep up.

They were not the be all and end all. I think it's wrong for bands to be above criticism. I love alot of whingy morbid ridden doom masters when someone says how can i listen to that i find it easier to either ignore them or meet them half way. Regardless of the outcome i will still to what i consider great music.

No bands should be above criticism. I can't listen to much of the Beatles early stuff. Please Please me is a terrible album and I find it hard to hear how they could have been popular based on that. I also can't listen to a lot of their hits. You mentioned Hey Jude earlier. That song annoys me so much.
    Also if you want to talk social commentary you have the clash, the specials, the ramones even the kinks spring to mind more than the beatles. They were a pop band. I can actually see your simpsons reference more than the beatles one, not saying it's not there at all.

Social commentary, yeah. But when I was talking about disparate elements of culture I meant it in relation to reference points. In the same way that the Simpsons reference a massively diverse section of popular culture in a very subtle way - everything from Charlie Chaplin to Dr Suess, so did the Beatles reference a diverse aural popular culture. In 'Girl' they give a nod to traditional Greek music, 'Michelle' is french chanson, 'Honey Pie' is 40's big band, 'Back in the USSR' is a Beach Boys homage, and that's not even mentioning 'Tomorrow Never Knows' which gave birth to a whole musical movement based on Indian mysticism. They're just obvious examples though. They're music, like the Simpsons, was so clever and subtle that you're not aware of a lot of the reference points, but you can go back and listen again, after a little more life/cultural experience, and see or hear a new reference point and it takes on more weight than before.

One of the most important things they achieved was the marriage of so called high and low culture though. After they got into Dylan they began bringing together folk music and rock and roll, which were considered working class, honest expressions of that way of life, and classical music which was considered decadent and superficial, and was largely irrelevant to young people. This was one of the most important events in popular music. Before it was three chord songs. It opened up massive opportunities. This culminated in Sgt Pepper.

When people talk about not liking the Beatles it doesn't even really make sense. Their songs are so diverse and crossed so many disparate genres that no two sound alike. No album sounds anything like the last. Each song was looked at as a new project, never an attempt to cash in on the success of a previous one. I guarantee that if you were to go through every Beatles song you'd find that you liked at least as many as you didn't, and I'd even wager that you'd like the majority, but the few that you don't have coloured your opinion... I find a lot of people dislike the idea of the Beatles (let's be honest, who doesn't think Macca is a gimp), but when they actually listen to them they find them to be... most agreeable.

Aside: Maybe think of splitting the thread i'm sure some of the people waiting for Kolds scathing attacks aren't enjoying our back and forth...

I agree. Interesting discussion...

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kavtones

i agree with pretty much everything you just said, i think people not liking the beatles is partly due to the fact they feel they're going against the tide and nut just agreeing with the masses, i can't remember the last time i listened to the please please me album, and even their good early stuff such as help, sounds like a different band on the white album. the beatles deserve their hype, as they changed music and constantly reinvented them selves. for no one came on shuffle on my ipod this morning, and though i have heard it a million times, just blew me away.

Pink - your mammoth post deserves one back but i can see where you are coming from. Certain music just fits better with certain people, and i freely admit i have no listened to every beatles album but i think i'd know a beatles song after a minute or two of hearing it and i can certainly appreciate the melodies and musicianship they just don't do it for me. I really dislike Paul McC. His voice just grates on me. I'm not too fond of him in general but i do try and keep that seperate... (I also meant that in your last post you were the opposite to the regular OMG beatles are the best band eva and made interesting points)

I'm not sure about the whole pop culture angle as i wouldn't know the ins and outs of their songs. Do you think this was a conscious effort on their part or occured naturally from living in the times? I also liked your point about the album as a concept - again very interesting. And i can accept they have made a huge musical contribution, anyone can see that but you can only like what you like!

I'm not sure me listening to every beatles song is the answer but the next time i do hear them i will consider your points anf get back to you.

I'm not sure about the whole pop culture angle as i wouldn't know the ins and outs of their songs. Do you think this was a conscious effort on their part or occured naturally from living in the times? I also liked your point about the album as a concept - again very interesting. And i can accept they have made a huge musical contribution, anyone can see that but you can only like what you like!

I'm not sure me listening to every beatles song is the answer but the next time i do hear them i will consider your points anf get back to you.

I dunno if it was a conscious effort. I'm not sure if any artistic creation is conscious. Or at least when it is then it comes across as contrived. I certainly don't think the times they lived in was merely incidental though. There were so many new avenues to explore during that period, pop music was in it's infancy, and they were the ones that did it. They could have been born ten years later and the music world would have been completely different and they may have been unknowns. But yeah, artists are just filters for their own experiences. I'm not sure there has been any originality in music asides from the initial spark, and like evolution every seemingly new idea was just a mutation from an earlier form. Or something.

You're right though, you can only like what you like. Though tastes do change, and you acquire new ones. I'm doing it all the time.

WRT hearing individual Beatles songs, I started listening to them when I was a teenager (properly, they'd always been around in some form or another), got the Blue and Red best ofs, which were essentially single tracks. It wasn't until well later when I started listening to the albums that I really began to love them though. The depth of thought and creativity that went into them is staggering.

I guess my main point is that it breaks my heart when people who like good music, such as yourself, are deprived of the joy the Beatles bring. I guess no one can convince anyone to listen to music though. It's a very personal thing. I am constantly finding music that I've been recommended even years before, but I've not bothered. Then I'll listen of my own accord and wonder how I was so willfully ignorant of it! Your friend Elliot Smith for starters. Or The Wire. My friend kept telling me it was amazing. I watched a couple of episodes on TV and wasn't sold, but I eventually came round to it on my own. I'm glad I did. No amount of persuasion could have gotten me to watch it.

I dunno. I find intelligent people will come around to great art on their own terms, in their own time. Like I say, I defy you to listen to Abbey Road and not be moved...

EDIT: another interesting tidbit. Did you know that Radiohead were listening to The White Album the whole time they were recording OK Computer? The piano part at the start of Karma Police is aped directly from the intro to Sexie Sady. They say it had a huge influence over the sound of the whole album.

Ok i'll go listen to abbey road a few times (again). I'm not going to go out and do it tomorrow as you can appreciate these things need their own time but i'll get the cd and put it on sometime soon ish. Totally right about the wire, it was pushed on me too and i never got it. Watched an episode on my own weeks after and was hooked. Mad men is also worth finding time for. Back on topic. What about those lists eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

My Top 20 (no particular order):

1. Whitesnake - Whitesnake/1987
    2. Foreigner - Agent Provocateur
    3. Van Halen - Van Halen
    4. Steve Earle - Copperhead Road
    5. Def Leppard - Pyromania
    6. Whitesnake - Slip Of The Tongue
    7. McAuley/Schenker Group - Perfect Timing
    8. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
    9. Megadeth - Rust In Peace
    10. Scorpions - Love At First Sting
    11. Ratt - Out Of The Cellar
    12. Asia - Alpha
    13. Van Halen - 1984
    14. Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
    15. Def Leppard - Hysteria
    16. Judas Priest - Painkiller
    17. Europe - Final Countdown
    18. Judas Priest - Turbo
    19. W.A.S.P. - The Headless Children
    20. Steve Earle - El Corazon

Tell me how bad it is...:D

Back on topic. What about those lists eh?

Lol. Yeah, I have a feeling some people are gonna be waiting quite a while for their score...

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

Placebo - Meds
    Parkway Drive - Horizons
    Emarosa -Relativity
    City And Colour - Sometimes
    Set Your Goals - This Will Be The Death Of Us
    Funeral For A Friend - Casually Dressed And Deep In Conversation
    Architects - Hollow Crown
    Mumford And Sons - Sigh No More
    A Day To Remember - And Their Name Was Treason
    Suicide Silence - The Cleansing
    John Mayer - Battle Studies
    Have Heart - Songs To Scream At The Sun
    Lisa Mitchell - Wonder
    The Maccabees - Colour It In
    Paramore - Brand New Eyes
    Set Your Goals - Mutiny!
    Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions
    Placebo - Placebo
    Parkway Drive - Killing With A Smile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

01: Bebo Valdes - Bebo De Cuba
    02: Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
    03: Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
    04: Buena Vista Social Club - Live at Carnegie Hall
    05: David Bowie - Aladdin Sane
    06: Derek & The Dominoes - Layla
    07: The Doors - L.A. Woman
    08: Faith No More - Angel Dust
    09: Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
    10: Grateful Dead - American Beauty
    11: Jim Morrison - An American Prayer
    12: Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsys
    13: Marvin Gaye - Whats Going On
    14: Otis Redding - Otis Blue
    15: Rick James - Street Songs
    16: Santana - Caravanserai
    17: Screamin Jay Hawkins - Cow Fingers and Mosquito Pie
    18: Sly and The Family Stone - Stand!
    19: Warren Zevon - Excitable Boy
    20: Love - Forever Changes

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭WhitestBoyAlive

pinksoir wrote: »
    To be honest, and this will come off as weird and probably offensive, but if I'm talking to someone in the real world about music and they express a dislike or even apathy for/towards the Beatles, I absolutely just discard their opinion on all music. I can't take them seriously at all. It's like an immediate deal-breaker. My eyes just glaze over. Probably something I should work on...

Yes, yes, yes, yes
    I do this too
    It's like a switch in my and i don't control it. It just means 'yeah, you can really say want you want about any band i like cos you just lost any musicial respect i had for you'. You don't need to work on it, we're the lucky ones!

:D
    ...Interesting Simpsons comparision too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 starman1

10. For Your Pleasure - Roxy Music
    9. London Calling - The Clash
    8. The Idiot - Iggy Pop
    7. Whitle Light/White Heat - The Velvet Underground
    6. Diamond Dogs - David Bowie
    5. Desire - Bob Dylan
    4. 3 Feet High And Rising - De La Soul
    3. Meat Is Murder - Smiths
    2. Marquee Moon - Television
    1. Exile On Main Street - The Stones

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jiltloop

In no particular order:
    1.Aphex Twin: Selected Ambient Works Vol 2
    2.Polygon Window: Surfing On Sine Waves
    3.The Black Dog: Radio Scarecrow
    4.Autechre: Amber
    5.Squarepusher: Hard Normal Daddy
    6.Mu-ziq: Tango'N'Vectif
    7.Boards Of Canada: Music Has The Right to Children
    8.Brian Eno and Harold Budd: The Plateaux of Mirror
    9.Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
    10.Luke Vibert: Yoseph
    11.Susumu Yokota: Grinning Cat
    12.Captain Beefheart: Safe as Milk
    13.Bogdan Raczynski: Boku Mo Wakaran
    14.The Velvet Underground and Nico: The Velvet Underground and Nico
    15.Black Sabbath: Paranoid
    16.Colleen: Everyone alive wants answers
    17.Future Sound of London: Dead Cities
    18.Shuttle 358: Understanding Wildlife
    19.My Bloody Valentine: Loveless
    20.The Doors: The Doors

And just on a side note the only good Daft Punk album as far as I'm concerned is Homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

In alphabetical order:

Afghan Whigs - Black Love
    Art Of Noise - The Seduction of Claude Debussy
    Avalanches - Since I Left You
    Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun
    Bran Van 3000 - Glee
    BT - Ima
    Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
    Cinematic Orchestra - Motion
    Digable Planets - Reachin' (A New Refutation of Time and Space)
    The Dismemberment Plan - Change
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing...
    DJ 光光光 - Planetary Natural Love Gas Webbin' 1999999
    Gas - Pop
    Godspeed You Black Emperor - Slow Riot For New Zero Kanada
    Mercury Rev - See You On The Other Side
    Plush - More You Becomes You
    Rachel's - Music For Egon Schiele
    Sufjan Stevens - Illinoise
    Keith Fullerton Whitman - Playthroughs
    Wheat - Hope And Adams

• Registered Users Posts: 9 onofftheroad

Hi Kold

Great thread. This is my first post on boards.ie as when I randomly surfed to this thread I felt motivated enough to reply.

Of course everyone has their own taste but I do believe that there is a measurable element to quality so it is possible to identify bands and musicians that will definitely stand the test of time. However you would have to exclude bands/musicians from the last 5 years as it is too early to tell until a few years have elapsed.

Another way of looking at this is to look at the various artists who have been the best of certain genres or eras. So you could identify a few who possibly should be on most lists if people were actually listening to albums from all decades (starting with perhaps the 1960s as a cut-off point)

So a list like this should have to include people such as:

Elvis
    Beatles/Rolling Stones
    John Coltrane/Miles Davis
    James Brown
    Marvin Gaye/Aretha Franklin/Al Green
    Neil Young
    Bob Marley
    David Bowie
    Nirvana
    Clash/Joy Division
    etc

Naming the best albums of some of these artists can be tricky as even artists as great as the Beatles & Elvis made patchy albums simply because they made so many and didn't really consider these as an art form. So a Greatest Hits might be the best purchase for some of these - why not!

Along with these well-known artists are the less well-known ones who have made some stand out albums but didn't define an era or style so to speak:

There are all sorts in this area such as:

Nina Simone
    Sigur Ros
    Cocteau Twins
    Jeff Buckley
    Leonard Cohen
    Tom Waits
    Radiohead

etc. etc.

As this is an Irish-based forum one thing that always disappoints me is the lack of appreciation of the one figure in Irish rock music that stands head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of serious meaningful music and that is Van Morrison. Now I like Rory and Thin Lizzy etc (but only a tiny amount of U2) as much as the next man in terms of a kind of entree music course but Van with his output is very much more of a main course and he is seen by many worldwide as one of the greatest artists in world music (but not by many in this country for some reason). A prophet in his own country I suppose. I know he has made a few very average albums but some of the good ones he has put out are mind blowing. And the few people who did list him here tend to mention either Moondance and Astral Weeks - both good albums but in my opinion "Veedon Fleece" is his magnus opus. There is an other-worldy quality to that album that after 2-3 listenings can reach parts that other albums never reach. I would recommend this album to anyone who likes depth of emotion/meaning in their music but you do have to listen to it a few times to "get it".

Anyway best of enjoyment to everybody with their lists which should be informative for all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

1. The Prodigy- Music For The Jilted Generation
    2. Leftfield- Leftism
    3. Underworld- Dubnobasswithmyheadman
    4. The Prodigy- Experience
    5. Stone Roses- Stone Roses
    6. Primal Scream- Screamadelica
    7. Daft Punk- Discovery
    8. Bon Marley- Exodus
    9. The Prodigy- Invaders Must Die
    10. The Specials- Specials

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Ok, I'll give it a go
    here is my eclectic, but mostly mainstream list.

Diamond Nights - Popsicle
    Kanye West - Graduation
    Lupe Fiasco - Food and Liquor
    Guns n Roses - Appetite for Destruction
    Van Halen - Van Halen
    Common - Be
    Empire of the Sun - Empire of the Sun
    Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy
    Blue Oyster Cult - Agents of Fortune
    Outkast - Speakerboxxx/Love Below
    NERD - In Search of
    Janes Addiction - Ritual de lo Habitual
    Nas - Untitled
    Beach Boys - Surf's Up
    Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - By the Way
    Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
    The Who - Tommy
    Noisettes - Wild Young Hearts
    Love - Forever Changes
    Nicolay and Kay - Timeline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Music-and-booze

not in order...

1: Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the moon
    2: My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
    3: Tv on the radio - return to cookie mountain
    4: Aphex Twin - Richard D. James album
    5: The Strokes - is this it
    6: BRMC - BRMC
    7: Bombay Bicycle club - i had the blues but i shook them loose
    8: Dandy Warhols - Come Down
    9: Elliott Smith - XO
    10: The Go! Team - The Go! Team
    11: Jeff Buckley - So Real (yes its a greatest hits try not to have a stroke;))
    12: KOL - Aha Shake heartbreak
    13: The Libertines - Up the bracket
    14: Mogwai - HSFHP
    15: Nirvana - In utero
    16: Pixies - Doolittle
    17 : QOTSA - Songs for the deaf
    18 : Yeasayer - All hour cymbals
    19: Interpol - Turn on the Bright lights
    20: Clap you hands say yeah - cyhsy

be gentle...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Antony and the Johnsons – I Am a Bird Now
    A Perfect Circle – Thirteenth Step
    Band of Horses – Cease to Begin
    Bloc Party – Silent Alarm
    Cat Power – Jukebox
    Dirty Three – Cinder
    God Is an Astronaut – All Is Violent, All Is Bright
    Kings of Leon – Only by the Night
    Low – Things We Lost in the Fire (this list could have included all their work)
    Message to Bears – Departures
    Mogwai – Come On Die Young
    Neil Youngs – Harvest
    Pelican – The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon the Thaw
    Placebo – Meds
    Radiohead - OK Computer
    Sigur Rós – ( )
    The Album Leaf – Into The Blue Again
    The National – Boxer (alligator equally good
    Tindersticks - Can our love
    Tool - Lateralus

My list is severely biased to current listening trends and albums that were significant in my musical journey (all of radiohead, oasis, linkin park, bill withers, eagles, beatles, slint, eits etc.) that i don't listen to much anymore aren't included. Also other artists (elbow, bonnie prince billie, and more) who I may listen to more by disography or individual tracks are not mentioned because i've never really connected with a particular album as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I have externals in this week so I probably won't be handing out many grades for a little while. Mad busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Muse - Origins of Symmetry
    Crash Test Dummies - God shuffled his feet
    The Band - The Band
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Muse - Absolution
    Hans Zimmer - Gladiator OST
    Travelling Wilburys - Travelling Wilburys Vol1
    Hope of the States - The lost riots
    Mark Knopfler - Sailing to Philadelphia
    Ronan Hardiman - Solas
    MGMT - Oracular Spectacular
    Ratatat - Ratatat
    Dogs die in hot cars - Please describe yourself
    Yngwie Malmsteen - Unleash the fury
    Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge over troubled water
    Paul Simon - Graceland
    Procol Harum - Procol Harum
    The Band - Music from big pink
    Bon Iver - For emma, forever ago
    Ash - Meltdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

This list here, and what I might currently listen to the most, are probably two quite different things. This list is really just a selection of albums that I would stick on as a standard favourite, compared to what my current flavour of the month might be!

Royksopp - Junior
    Cut Copy - In ghost colours
    Bookashade - Movements
    Mumford and sons - Sigh no More
    Whitest Boy Alive - Rules
    Mr Scruff - keep it unreal / trouser jazz
    Ulrich schnauss - Far Away Trains Passing By
    Immortal Technique - Revolutionary Vol 1&2
    Leftfield - Leftism
    Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭musicmania

In no particular order:
    U2 The Joshua Tree/Auchtung Baby
    Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet
    Bruce Springsteen Born in The USA/Darkness on The Edge of Town
    Leonard Cohen Songs of Leonard Cohen/Various Positions
    Simon and Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water
    Nirvana Nevermind
    Greenday American Idiot
    Jeff Buckley Grace
    The Beatles Help
    Michael Jackson Dangerous/Bad
    Bryan Adams Waking up the Neighbours
    Christy Moore The Voyage
    Bob Geldof Deep in the Heart of Nowhere
    Paul Simon Graceland
    Whitesnake Whitesnake aka 1987
    Fleetwood Mac Rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cloud atlas

1- Aphex Twin: Richard D. James Album
    2- Bjork: Homogenic
    3- Blonde Redhead: Misery is a Butterfly
    4- Broken Social Scene: Feel Good Lost
    5- Cocteau Twins: Heaven or Las Vegas
    6- Elsiane: Hybrid
    7- Joan as Police Woman: To Survive
    8- The Knife: Silent Shout
    9- Mark Lanegan Band: Bubblegum
    10- M83: M83
    11- Mew: No More Stories...
    12- Modest Mouse: Building Nothing out of Something
    13- Noisettes: Wild Young Hearts
    14- Oceansize: Effloresce (favourite album of all time)
    15- Peaches: I feel Cream
    16- PJ Harvey: Stories From the City...
    17- Queens Of the Stoneage: Queens of the Stoneage
    18- The Radio Dept.: Lesser Matters
    19- Radiohead: In Rainbows
    20- Smashing Pumpkins: Mellon Collie...

Just a few more!

21- Tom Vek: We Have Sound
    22- Tricky: Maxinquaye
    23- The XX: XX

I'll stop now. :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Kold wrote: »
    I have externals in this week so I probably won't be handing out many grades for a little while. Mad busy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

I can't name 20 because I only own 1;

Now That's What I Call Music 46

Filesharing ftw since then

Advertisement