Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting a club night

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Calvin101

jimi_t wrote: »
    Someone said to me recently that per sq/ft its the most profitable club in Europe (reference?).

Don't have a like but remember reading this myself it was in the Sunday business Post. Its also said that the the annual turnover of the cloakroom was over €250,000.

On the point of keeping clubs open for longer with the bar closed I doubt very few clubs would except clubs actual run by promoters such as the Twisted Peppers. Also higher ticket prices would be required to keep it profitable.

Coppers isn't the only place that stays open later than legal. All the places on lesson street seem to be open well after 3. The thing is that the bar is still swamped at these places till 3-4, where as at a dance gig theres never a que at the bar after 1.30-2.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Coppers is an anomaly, even for harcourt street. Run by ex-cops and full of present day ones, it has been openly flaunting the closing hours legislation since it came in. It is by far the latest serving bar/nightclub in the city and I've heard of no other premises that has gotten away with what it has (or will).

If the extended opening hours thing came in, it would level the playing field significantly. The only edge coppers ever had was the extended opening - it has an awful dancefloor and layout, crap soundsystem, terrible music and NO drinks promotions while still having the audacity to charge a tenner in. Someone said to me recently that per sq/ft its the most profitable club in Europe (reference?).

Bring in the extended opening hours and we're back to status quo, the crowd will slowly filter away from it to its neighbouring venues and will relegate it back to the novelty it once was for Dubliner's - a southside Quinns and a home away from home for the GAA seasonals. If anything, its one of the greatest arguments for bringing in the late opening hours.

I completely disagree with you here. Do you think that later opening hours would make the type of idiots that go to coppers and get hammered, listen to ****e music and try and get off with some young one from down the country would make the move to say Tripod or the TP if it opened until half 5 for example? It doesnt work that way. Look at what happend at half 3 on Harcourt Street, now multiply this by 3 and you have what will happen at half 5 if clubs stay open for that long.

I agree that GUTN would work in some clubs, but not at all in many. Its about the outlook of pacing yourself which the Irish dont have and never will. Sorry for dragging this ot btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

wixfjord wrote: »
    Its about the outlook of pacing yourself which the Irish dont have and never will. Sorry for dragging this ot btw.

We'd be better able to pace ourselves if we didn't have to fit a whole night's drinking into 2 hours.

My original questions didn't get answered, and it doesn't look like it will, so don't worry about the de-railing.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

We'd be better able to pace ourselves if we didn't have to fit a whole night's drinking into 2 hours.

My original questions didn't get answered, and it doesn't look like it will, so don't worry about the de-railing.

We would be better able to, but I dont think we would. Most people here go out and get drunk as quick as possible, and keep drinking until they get sick or the night is over. I dont think that longer opening hours would change this, and in fact it would be seen that 'oh weve more time to drink, lets get even more drunk', plus people would be leaving later for clubs, meaning they would get even more drunk at home, which is where most drinking is done now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I completely disagree with you here. Do you think that later opening hours would make the type of idiots that go to coppers and get hammered, listen to ****e music and try and get off with some young one from down the country would make the move to say Tripod or the TP if it opened until half 5 for example?

Agreed, the like of Coppers, only caters for a certain clientele, most of whom their main concern is alcohol and the looseness of the opposite sex. But you fail to see that if places like Tripod or the TP opened until 5am or so, they would surely flourish, with big name DJs coming over more regularly as they would no longer be harassed off the stage at 2.30am sharp. The overall 'party atmosphere' in Dublin may be rekindled.
    It doesnt work that way. Look at what happend at half 3 on Harcourt Street, now multiply this by 3 and you have what will happen at half 5 if clubs stay open for that long.

Wrong. Thats your opinion. Look at the UK, they're possibly worse for binge drinking than us, definetly no better, yet the club scene has developed considerably since the changes in licensing laws, despite the obvious initialities which were always going to happen. I for one, have often gotten too drunk in a nightclub, and have left, and went home before closing time, calling myself a bollox. Does it mean that with extended hours, people will suddenly turn into rabid dogs absolutely baying for alcohol, the likes of never witnessed before?
    I agree that GUTN would work in some clubs, but not at all in many. Its about the outlook of pacing yourself which the Irish dont have and never will. Sorry for dragging this ot btw.

And why dont we pace ourselves? Because of the middle-aged, conservative, blindly christian laws we have in place.

For a start, with extended laws, take the average friday.

home from work: 7pm
    relax then dinner: 8pm
    give a friend a call: 9pm
    friend comes around with a bottle of wine at 10pm
    crowd gathers, bitta craic at the house
    decide to head into town at 1am, nicely tipsy

and so on.......

Lets have it for the Bishop :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Problem is, extended licensing laws would need later transport systems. For instance in Cologne, trams run all right, so you can leave a club at 5am and hop straight on a tram. Busses/Luases/Darts would have to at least run until 1 to get people into town in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Problem is, extended licensing laws would need later transport systems. For instance in Cologne, trams run all right, so you can leave a club at 5am and hop straight on a tram. Busses/Luases/Darts would have to at least run until 1 to get people into town in the first place.

No they don't, still have the nitelink etc and then if youmiss that - up to you, your in a taxi or waiting for public transport to reopen/stay in the club - this is the way it is in Sydney!!!!

empirix wrote: »
    No they don't, still have the nitelink etc and then if youmiss that - up to you, your in a taxi or waiting for public transport to reopen/stay in the club - this is the way it is in Sydney!!!!

Just because it's the way it is in Sydney it doesn't mean it's the right way. In Europe, most people head out to late clubs at about 1am. If that were the way here, noone could get to the clubs, as there is no transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Very simple solution: ENFORCE the law which makes it an offence to be intoxicated in a public place. If the law was going to slap you with a €500 on the spot fine every time you were found lying in a heap covered in your own puke/screaming obscenities at a dustbin/making a bolox out of yourself you'd soon learn to behave.
    We often say we should follow examples of other countries so why not do like them and come down hard on the fukwits who are usually to blame for making a balls of everyone elses night out.
    Also make it an offence for bar staff to serve intoxicated people and in turn make it an assault charge to get thick with bar staff for refusing to serve. Works fine in Australia and i've been in clubs there until 8am without a bother.
    Some people will act the cúnt at any opportunity and they need the law to smack them around the chops. That leaves the rest of us to enjoy the music and the benefits of staggered opening hours.If the above laws were implemented strictly you'd have a 6 month period of arseholes getting taught a lesson in social behaviour and then the lesson sinking in. Sometimes we need to told , not asked.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Very simple solution: ENFORCE the law which makes it an offence to be intoxicated in a public place. If the law was going to slap you with a €500 on the spot fine every time you were found lying in a heap covered in your own puke/screaming obscenities at a dustbin/making a bolox out of yourself you'd soon learn to behave.
    We often say we should follow examples of other countries so why not do like them and come down hard on the fukwits who are usually to blame for making a balls of everyone elses night out.
    Also make it an offence for bar staff to serve intoxicated people and in turn make it an assault charge to get thick with bar staff for refusing to serve. Works fine in Australia and i've been in clubs there until 8am without a bother.
    Some people will act the cúnt at any opportunity and they need the law to smack them around the chops. That leaves the rest of us to enjoy the music and the benefits of staggered opening hours.If the above laws were implemented strictly you'd have a 6 month period of arseholes getting taught a lesson in social behaviour and then the lesson sinking in. Sometimes we need to told , not asked.

Definitely agree with this. Bouncers should be less strict at the door (I don't mean with drunk people) and stricter in the clubs with fights and drunken messes.

Saw a 25 odd year old girl last night on Camden Street at about 4am, collapsed on the ground with her dress up to her belly-button, her mate screaming at her to get up. Shocking like.

On the subject actually, I played in Crawdaddy until 3:15 last night, with no hassle whatsoever from the venue. How does that work, is it not highly illegal? Does Redmond realise he's so far in the shít (€800,000 to be exact) that he doesn't care about licensing laws anymore?

• Advertisement

On the subject actually, I played in Crawdaddy until 3:15 last night, with no hassle whatsoever from the venue. How does that work, is it not highly illegal? Does Redmond realise he's so far in the shít (€800,000 to be exact) that he doesn't care about licensing laws anymore?

I'd keep that quiet

I'd keep that quiet

It's not exactly a secret, read about it in the paper today. I'd hate to see Pod fall, Tripod/Crawdaddy are a brilliant asset to Dublin, one of the best venues going, and Pod do a good job of running them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

It's not exactly a secret, read about it in the paper today

link?

Here, not the same story I read, but the same subject. I had actually read it in the Phoenix.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It's not exactly a secret, read about it in the paper today.

I think Lef meant about the time issue, not the insolvency

Jev/N wrote: »
    I think Lef meant about the time issue, not the insolvency

I was thinking he might have alright. Although it's not on me to get off the stage if I amn't told to, so I see no need to be hush hush about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

EG, in reference to you're idea for the club night;

I'd love to see it happen, but I would be amazed to see it happen all the same. I got pretty sick with most of the weeknight club nights last year and since then I've sorta given up trying to find a good spot! These days I just go with the crowd and ignore the crap they play where ever we end up (Harcourt street :pac:) and enjoy myself as best I can.

To me it seems like it's the students who have the most money to spend at the moment, so if you're setting up a club night if it's to be economically viable then inevitably it'll end up billed as a student night. As I said I've given up trying to get a decent crowd to head somewhere with decent music because it's all about where "everyone" is going (if you get what I mean there). Basically student nights are all about who has done the better promotions/sells the cheapest drink so it'll be tough to combine that with a emphasis on proper music.

Also I think it's safe to say that most students have pretty crap/same-y/undeveloped/radio-abused tastes in music. Catering to a minority here!

The indie/electro hipsters model is one that's working for the promoters, and they are recruiting more and more student reps, especially class reps for "class parties" which are basically just "lets all go where ever these fcuking concessions came from!"

I think your best bet is somewhere like Wax, as previously mentioned it's small and has a great soundsystem and also a bit of a rep for decent music (imo). Also the monthly point is spot on too, the music focused club night is (shamefully) a niche market at the moment, so trying to fill a place every week will be seriously tough. Hope this whole post wasn't too negative because if you do start getting this off the ground then I'll be in like a flash, and I'll bring as many of my mates as I can (except for the hipster ones :D) Be happy to help as well!

That's more or less spot on Jay. If it were to ever happen, it would be a student night generally yeah, cheap in, cheap drink, like the others. Except, that instead of a generic "indie-electro" night, it would be a fairly hardcore electro-house/house/fidget/possibly dubstep type thing. I'd also love to be able to get international DJs after a while too.

Still havn't found out what I came to find out though, does starting a night take any kind of financial commitment, or is it just promoting? I know that many venues who run gigs for bands organise it so that you pay a few hundred up front for the venue, and then recoup the money on the door. Is that how it works for clubnights too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Yeah he is, but that's besides the point.

How ?

Sat, Transmission [button factory] /Gossip [spy] / Club Fear [thomas Reids]
    Sun Sundown [Bia Bar], Wishy Washy
    Tuesday, Trashed [ALT], ****[crawdaddy]
    Wednesday, Antics [crawdaddy]
    Thursday Mr jones [Twisted Pepper], Noize [ALT]
    Friday, War etc etc etc etc and thats just weekly nights.

thats to name a few, competition out there is intense. Whats gonna make your night stand out?

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Placebo wrote: »
    Whats gonna make your night stand out?

I think the point of the whole thread was that EG wants to see if it's possible to make a night stand out based on the music. It's been mentioned a few times. Here or there.

• Advertisement

Placebo wrote: »
    How ?

Sat, Transmission [button factory] /Gossip [spy] / Club Fear [thomas Reids]
    Sun Sundown [Bia Bar], Wishy Washy
    Tuesday, Trashed [ALT], ****[crawdaddy]
    Wednesday, Antics [crawdaddy]
    Thursday Mr jones [Twisted Pepper], Noize [ALT]
    Friday, War etc etc etc etc and thats just weekly nights.

thats to name a few, competition out there is intense. Whats gonna make your night stand out?
    Antics is indie/drainpipe, so by playing techno, house, dubstep you've pissed all over it

Mr Jones, I know little of, hence im guessing its not incredibly popular

C.U.N.T., ill say nothing.....

so, with this new c.u.n.t gaining a name for itself on a tuesday, and perhaps stealing the limelight from Antics, the scenesters can bop away to Kimya Dawson on the tuesday night, while then this clubnight were talking about could take place on a wednesday.

If two rooms were going, one could be dubstep, ambient, chillout etc... Ninja tune etc...
    The other, electro / house and a smattering of techno as the night goes on... Not to mention some drum n bass... the mere sound of 'drum n bass' might catch the eye of Mr Hipster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

I, for one, would welcome somewhere new to go in Dublin. Hit Crawdaddy on Friday, and I have to say I enjoyed the music immensly for the first time in ages (guy I knew was playing, loadsa techy minimally stuff).
    I love to go for an "indie" night out, but places I associated with indie increasingly play "dance" music...aka Fidget Effing House. I can't stand it. Going to the Button Factory on a Saturday night is like torture.
    Like I love electro, but there seems to a massive swing towards this absolute muck in Dublin at the mo... sometimes you might get a bit of Popof or something, if you're lucky.
    The upshot of this is I'd rather no spend my time and money in somewher like Rira or the Oak, where they play indie, some new wave, etc, as I know I'll enjoy the music there, and the clientele aren't braindead.
    But I miss the techno. DUBLIN NEEDS TECHNO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

I miss 80's nights like we have in the UK. I used to go to a bar in the centre of the town I lived in and every sat night they played only 80's. Free in, open til 2am, drinks promos/cheap draught beers, and always jammers. Held about 300 people, aged from 20 to 60! We need more cheese! Heard a good name for a night the other day 'cheeze n whine' LOL

I miss 80's nights like we have in the UK. I used to go to a bar in the centre of the town I lived in and every sat night they played only 80's. Free in, open til 2am, drinks promos/cheap draught beers, and always jammers. Held about 300 people, aged from 20 to 60! We need more cheese! Heard a good name for a night the other day 'cheeze n whine' LOL

You realise you're in the dance forum? :pac:

You realise you're in the dance forum? :pac:

:confused::confused::confused: sorry, which way to the cheeze bar?! I thought this was for DJing as well? Surely not all DJ's play techno/dubstep/woteva?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

:confused::confused::confused: sorry, which way to the cheeze bar?! I thought this was for DJing as well? Surely not all DJ's play techno/dubstep/woteva?!

Yes its for djn as well, just a lot of music snobs around here lol:D

Yes its for djn as well, just a lot of music snobs around here lol:D

Maybe we should have a forum for just DJ's who play the mainstream chart, or mobile type DJ's. You know the ones that play at weddings, birthdays, bar mitzvahs! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭DISCOTEKKEN

I posted this recently, should answer some questions. Aidan Kelly wrote it not me.

http://dublinbusdisco.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-run-successful-clubnight-in-2010.html

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

The kids like the electro and, of the amount of women who can tolerate electronic music AT ALL, the vast majority of them will only listen to electro and 'chart-house'. Believe me, its broken my heart. If you don't get women into your club, then you're finished before you begin - therein lies a major problem getting any sort of 'alt' night off the ground.

More and more girls are getting into it though. Depending on the day and the price I can rustle up a few females.

The amount of guys that do comment on it, its one club for the music, and another for the slit. Definitely would make pulling the crowds a bit difficult

• Advertisement

Another problem there seems to be is that if there are good purely house/tech/electro nights, then they'll more or less turn into coke/pills/legal high parties, which discourages other people from going.

Advertisement