Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads we MIGHT be getting this UFC card!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I read somewhere about a month ago that Renzo was fighting for the first time in the UFC in Abu Dhabi

To capitalise on his god like status there was the reason. That he is buddies with UFC's new investor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

because it was on tape delay it wasn't ppv.

I am pretty sure it was shown live at 3pm ET

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I am pretty sure it was shown live at 3pm ET

if you are talking about UFC 93 you are right, it was shown live on PPV in America, no tape delay etc

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

...and they still got 350,000 buys

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Anderson is one of the worst PPV draws in the UFC. It would not surprise me to him on free TV.

Until he gets some quality opposition who will test him then that will always be the case

• Advertisement

...and they still got 350,000 buys

yes, and that was a number the UFC were very happy with especially since the card was pretty weak. UFC 108 a couple of weeks ago supposedly did in the region of 250,000 - 280,000 buys

callaway92 wrote: »
    yes, and that was a number the UFC were very happy with especially since the card was pretty weak. UFC 108 a couple of weeks ago supposedly did in the region of 250,000 - 280,000 buys

Yeah I meant that as a good thing. A card with no title, a headline that wasn't really that interesting, on at 3pm and they still got 350,000 buys. That's a really big deal.

Yeah I meant that as a good thing. A card with no title, a headline that wasn't really that interesting, on at 3pm and they still got 350,000 buys. That's a really big deal.

I'd hardly call Franklin v Hendo not interesting!!

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'd hardly call Franklin v Hendo not interesting!!

It had no bearing on any title at the time and also was a pretty dull fight if I recall correctly

It had no bearing on any title at the time and also was a pretty dull fight if I recall correctly

True it didn't have any bearing on a title shot, as for being a dull fight i've seen a lot duller headline fights (Evans v Bisping, Recent Silva fights). On paper it was an awesome match up that a lot of peeps had been wanting for a long time, it could have been better but was far from uninteresting

• Advertisement

I meant uninteresting in that it didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Neither were going to get a title shot off the back of it or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Dan Henderson become coach on TUF from it. Nothing is bigger than that. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It wasn't that dull and it was a pritty good even fight. I can recall alot more main events which were worse [GSP / BJ, Silva / Leites, Machida / Evans, BJ / Florian].

unknown13 wrote: »
    It wasn't that dull and it was a pritty good even fight. I can recall alot more main events which were worse [GSP / BJ, Silva / Leites, Machida / Evans, BJ / Florian].

what?

what?

yeah, they were 2 awesome fights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

what?

Evans / Machida wasn't that good, first round Machida get the better of him then second round he stopped him.

BJ / Florian wasn't good at all Kenny tried to take him down from the clinch all the time and wouldn't stand with him then BJ had enough and took care of him in the fourth round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

this is goin away off topic.

ahh any news on this event? if it came to dublin id love to get my hands on some tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Fracture wrote: »
    this is goin away off topic.

ahh any news on this event? if it came to dublin id love to get my hands on some tickets.

You and everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Adjogranty

This aint going to happen guys. Next UFC we get is probably going to be a much lower caliber something like a wandi vs franklin rematch and its not going to be for ages, especially if the Hardy, Bisping and Daley runs keep going. BJ, Anderson on the same card is a vegas ppv or a first abu dhabi ppv.

Not excited about BJ / Edgar its going to be a rape, BJ needs to go to 170.

BJ-Gomi might be a competitive fight if he can rediscover his forum of a few years back. Apart from that there's not many in the UFC that deserve to be in the cage with him. It's time for the UFC to up their recruitment drive. 155, 170 and 185 are all dominated at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Adjogranty

BJ handled gomi in gomis prime. Aoki and alverez could challange bj but only in one aspect of the game and bj would just beat them up in the other. Im glad Lesnar is on the shelf and rua ruffed up machida a bit otherwise it would be champion domination but people thought that of Mike Thomas Brown and Miguel Torres in WEC and they both got smashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=Agm.pW7tchhcfLyIe.IboUo9Eo14?slug=dm-ufcdecisions011910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    White noted that Zuffa CEO Lorenzo Fertitta and senior vice president Craig Borsari are scheduled to fly to Abu Dhabi within the next week and attempt to finalize the deal to debut in the home of the company’s new minority partners. Even if the deal doesn’t go through, that show – featuring Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort for the middleweight title, B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar for the lightweight title and Matt Hughes vs. Renzo Gracie – would still take place on that date, likely in the United Kingdom or Ireland.

Guess we find out next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

I'll believe it when I see it about coming to Dublin soon. Does the UFC advertising section no harm to flaot rumours about.

rovert wrote: »

What are the chances that it wont be held in Abu Dhabi? Is there a good chance they wont find I place to hold the event there?

I'm on Marshall Zelaznik's facebook friends list, he said that he's just flown back from Abu Dhabi and it's all looking good, so i guess that's put paid to the rumours then

scudzilla wrote: »
    I'm on Marshall Zelaznik's facebook friends list, he said that he's just flown back from Abu Dhabi and it's all looking good, so i guess that's put paid to the rumours then

dam

Location just about official for UFC 112

A press conference has been set for Jan. 27 to announce UFC's Middle East debut for UFC 112 in Abu Dhabi.

"We're going to have a big press conference in Abu Dhabi on Wednesday, with our new partners from the region, Flash," said Marshall Zelaznik, UFC's managing director of international expansion. "(Zuffa CEO) Lorenzo and myself will be there wwith some of the biggest names on the UFC roster. I don't want to give away the official announcement, but this will be a very unique show and not just because the card itself will be as good as any in UFC history."

The show is expected to be the first outdoor UFC event in history.

As things stand right now, the top three matches, all of which are expected to be announced at the press conference are:

Anderson Silva vs. Vitor Belfort for the middleweight title

B.J. Penn vs. Frankie Edgar for the lightweight title

Renzo Gracie vs. Matt Hughes

Ah no

Advertisement