Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lads we MIGHT be getting this UFC card!

Options
  • 14-01-2010 4:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭

Listening to Dave Meltzer talking on a members only audio show talking about the location UFC 112 (April 10th) and Dublin is in the running with three other cities including Newcastle, Manchester and Abu Dhabi.

Going by Wikipedia the rumoured card looks like this:
    According to Vitor Belfort's manager (Fabiano Farah). A bout between Anderson Silva and Vitor Belfort has been confirmed for this event.

A bout between Matt Hughes and Renzo Gracie is likely to take place at this event after Gracie confirmed the fight. As of yet, no agreement has been signed.

A Lightweight Championship bout between BJ Penn and Frank Edgar has been confirmed by Penn.

Kendall Grove is expected to compete at this event, with an opponent to be determined.

Imagine as unlikely as it may be. :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

That card looks like a Las Vegas card, wonder would Silva have a problem travelling to these places for a title fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

They announced that on mmajunkie too but announced that it would definitely be in Abu Dhabi

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17538/vitor-belforts-manager-confirms-ufc-112-abu-dhabi-title-fight-with-anderson-silva.mma

It's a great card but an small venue like the O2 would never play host to such a big UFC event. I'd say we were lucky getting Franklin Vs. Henderson when we did

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Locomotion wrote: »
    They announced that on mmajunkie too but announced that it would definitely be in Abu Dhabi

http://mmajunkie.com/news/17538/vitor-belforts-manager-confirms-ufc-112-abu-dhabi-title-fight-with-anderson-silva.mma

It's a great card but an small venue like the O2 would never play host to such a big UFC event. I'd say we were lucky getting Franklin Vs. Henderson when we did

Dana's changed his mind on Abu Dhabi it is less of a dead cert and more of a possibility now for some undisclosed reason according to Dave. All very weird.

I agreed with your other point btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

If Dana has changed his mind about Abu Dhabi then Dublin will get the event over Newcastle and Manchester, Newcastle is too small and Manchester recently had an event.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

The reason Dana gave for the doubt over Abu Dhabi is that there is nowhere to hold it. It would have to be outdoor which the UFC aren't to pushed on. Dana also said that they want to build an arena in Abu Dhabi for the UFC. Thats Flash want to build the arena. He talks about it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lha3Ls8-YKs

As well as saying there will be a press conference about Lesnar next week.
    Very much doubt we would get that card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Would there be enough time to announce Dublin or anywhere outside of Vegas if Abu Dabai doesnt go ahead? Although id imagine a card like that would sell out very quickly regardless of where it is.

Plus WWE is on the night before in the o2, which id imagine would be UFC's first preferance for a show.

Just been checking out a few other sites, this card has Abu Dhabi written all over it and if it's gonna get moved anywhere then it'll be Vegas (Minus BJ of course who said he'll never fight there again)

Fromvert wrote: »
    The reason Dana gave for the doubt over Abu Dhabi is that there is nowhere to hold it. It would have to be outdoor which the UFC aren't to pushed on. Dana also said that they want to build an arena in Abu Dhabi for the UFC. Thats Flash want to build the arena.

They could do it in a tent. :pac:

Thanks for the info.
    Dancor wrote: »
    Plus WWE is on the night before in the o2, which id imagine would be UFC's first preferance for a show.

Dont follow :confused:

rovert wrote: »
    They could do it in a tent. :pac:

Thanks for the info.

I think he's on about the weigh ins for the Friday, couldn't have them at the O2 as WWE is there, Olympia's free and they did the weigh ins at a seperate site for 85 i think

We're all gettin ahead of ourselves here though, it's gonna be Abu Dhabi (95%) or Vegas (5%)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

If Dublin got that I think I would do a sex wee in my pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Locomotion wrote: »

Well Renzo Gracis is The Abu Dabi prince(or whoever they sold chunk of UFC to) trainer. Renzo was present when Dana meet them...so I reckon its more of a foregone conclusion that Renzo's fight will be in Abu Dabi.

Think BJ already said thats where his next fight was aswell.
    scudzilla wrote: »
    Just been checking out a few other sites, this card has Abu Dhabi written all over it and if it's gonna get moved anywhere then it'll be Vegas (Minus BJ of course who said he'll never fight there again)

Can't see too much to argue with

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

rovert wrote: »

Could UFC get the place set up in less than 24 hours for a PPV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Dancor wrote: »

they were complaining in dublin they only had 3 days to set up instead of there usual 4

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I'm sure they have a conference centre or something they can re-jig in Abu Dhabi. I just found one with a 5,500 capacity. I'm sure they'd rather have it there in a small venue than here in a bigger one given the line-up and the recent deal with Flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

scudzilla wrote:
    I think he's on about the weigh ins for the Friday, couldn't have them at the O2 as WWE is there, Olympia's free and they did the weigh ins at a seperate site for 85 i thinkWe're all gettin ahead of ourselves here though, it's gonna be Abu Dhabi (95%) or Vegas (5%)

The new theatre in the Docklands near the IFSC would be the venue, it has just over two thousand capacity. 95 103 and 104 were in other venues
    Dancor wrote:

104 and 107 they had 24 hours because there were basketball games on the night before.

The wrestling layout isn't that much different in the O2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    The wrestling layout isn't that much different in the O2?

The big worry will be the titrathron how long it will take to take it down. I seriously hope they don't bring the event a week before which will mean the weigh ins are on good friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭mooeire

There ain't a hope it'll happen!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sorry but I LOL at the suggestion that Anderson Silva fights @ a non PPV event which Dublin would be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

Well to give it just a little more hope:

Anderson fought on free tv only 18 months ago, so that's not too hard to believe.

If it can't be in Abu Dhabi as speculated, we just MIGHT be lucky enough...

The Mandalay Bay is booked that night for a Muse concert so that's out. MGM Grand is booked out the night before for AC/DC, so the weight in's at least couldn't be held there (even though Dublin would have the same issue).

And we'd prob get the nod above Manchester & Newcastle.

"Best pound for pound crowd". Dana White

COME ON!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Dont forget that the UFC isnt making their money from bums on seats, their reason for taking it around the globe is for pushing brand UFC into countries in order to get TV deals there. So the size of venue isnt always their no1 concern.

Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,661 ✭✭✭General Zod

unknown13 wrote: »
    The big worry will be the titrathron how long it will take to take it down. I seriously hope they don't bring the event a week before which will mean the weigh ins are on good friday.

They don't use the titantron at house shows.

bret69 wrote: »
    The Mandalay Bay is booked that night for a Muse concert so that's out. MGM Grand is booked out the night before for AC/DC,

Good two days to be in Vegas.

bret69 wrote: »
    The Mandalay Bay is booked that night for a Muse concert so that's out. MGM Grand is booked out the night before for AC/DC
    Mossy Monk wrote: »
    Good two days to be in Vegas.

Yeah, first night on the lash, second night AC/DC ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

calex71 wrote: »
    Sorry but I LOL at the suggestion that Anderson Silva fights @ a non PPV event which Dublin would be :D

Anderson is one of the worst PPV draws in the UFC. It would not surprise me to him on free TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

calex71 wrote: »

when did you start watching UFC/MMA?You do know UFC were in Dublin for UFC 93 January 2009 and it was PPV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Was the irish show actually a PPV in the states? I thought i read something saying, because it was on tape delay it wasn't ppv. maybe i'm completely wrong, im sure our mma scholar rovert will know

Was the irish show actually a PPV in the states? I thought i read something saying, because it was on tape delay it wasn't ppv. maybe i'm completely wrong, im sure our mma scholar rovert will know

I hope that wasnt a dig.

Anyway UFC 93 was originally a TV special but it got upgraded to a PPV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

See I knew you'd know :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I read somewhere about a month ago that Renzo was fighting for the first time in the UFC in Abu Dhabi

Advertisement