Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple IPod support problem

Options
  • 13-01-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Apple refuses their guarantee service, keep lying. Don't respect consumer rights! Worst service ever received (not received). Have all proves: documents and even recorded phone calls (for my own reference) ,names, when listening to more lies within disgusting service. IPod broken for nearly 2 months after working just over 1 month and no help from apple support, just lies!
    Any help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Rather than calling Apple a bunch of liars, you might like to provide us with some details of what has actually happened, i.e. timelines and actions taken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

As above, plus the time I've had to deal with them they couldn't have been better, which has been verified by similar posts on this forum.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I've had hit or miss dealings with them, would like more information on this case though so OP could you outline what's wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Zikiz

dudara wrote: »
    Rather than calling Apple a bunch of liars, you might like to provide us with some details of what has actually happened, i.e. timelines and actions taken
    Yes indeed in my case Apple are a bunch of liars.

!. IPod classic worked for a bit over 1 month. Broke. I was refused to replace it were my consumer right respected? NO!
    2.Taken to repair service for 3 weeks (I was told,that HDD is being replaced), but when collected my Ipod nothing was done, just repair report "no repair required" was I lied to ? YES!
    3. Apple phone support, December 16th service requested, next day (according to Apple confirmation Email) UPS courier had to collect my IPod. 3 weeks waiting, nobody arrived to collect. Was I lied to ? YES !
    4. Apple phone support call No2, 10th of January, I was briefly explained , "sorry we had a systems problems" how come no call no email to explain their delay (for 3 weeks)!? New repair ID issued as if it was new repair request (it wasn't) and once again confirmation Email received and again 3 days no courier appeared to collect my faulty IPod. SO is it good service ? NO! Was I lied to? YES! Are APPLE a bunch of disrespectful Liars?! YES they are!!!!
    Using IPod for one month and then for 2 months being pushed around.
    Is there any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Try Appletech 1850946191 Had a problem with my IPod, it wouldnt charge, only had it for a month. Apple shop in Grafton Street (now closed AFAIK) gave me the number. Rang the number and explained the situation, they sent a courier out to collect it, fixed it, sent a courier out with my new one. No charge, job sorted. Didnt get my old one back but a replica, so youd probably want to make sure you have a backup of the songs off your IPod on a disk.

• Advertisement

Zikiz wrote: »
    !. IPod classic worked for a bit over 1 month. Broke. I was refused to replace it were my consumer right respected? NO!

Actually, your consumer rights were respected. You are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. The retailer offers one, which you accept if it is reasonable. In this case, demanding a replacement and refusing a repair would have been unreasonable on your part.

From the rest of your description, it sounds as if you've had bad luck.

But I don't think anyone actually set out to lie to you. If companies really did that, they would be quickly found out.

In general most people have had good dealings with Apple, so overall they can't be too bad.

Ring up again, with the reference number you were given. Ask once more for it to be collected and taken away for repair. Tell them that if this doesn't happen, you will consider the option to repair (as under consumer law) exhausted and you will now seek one of the other options - refund or replacement.

Keep track of all this in writing, recording dates and times.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Have all proves: documents and even recorded phone calls,names, when listening to more lies within disgusting service.

I would hope that in-line with the Data Protection Act you informed the other party that you recorded the telephone call, otherwise you breached the Data Protection Act

Cabaal wrote: »
    I would hope that in-line with the Data Protection Act you informed the other party that you recorded the telephone call, otherwise you breached the Data Protection Act

When calling them, first what I hear is that "calls are recorded..."! So I'm sure they understand that they are recorded and don't mind, which makes me very safe to record calls as well.
    Also data protection act allows me to request and own every single record of my call in case If my records failed.
    Thank You Cabaal, but my question in this topic was about consumer rights vs Apple.

dudara wrote: »
    Actually, your consumer rights were respected. You are entitled to a refund, replacement or repair. The retailer offers one, which you accept if it is reasonable. In this case, demanding a replacement and refusing a repair would have been unreasonable on your part.

From the rest of your description, it sounds as if you've had bad luck.

But I don't think anyone actually set out to lie to you. If companies really did that, they would be quickly found out.

In general most people have had good dealings with Apple, so overall they can't be too bad.

Ring up again, with the reference number you were given. Ask once more for it to be collected and taken away for repair. Tell them that if this doesn't happen, you will consider the option to repair (as under consumer law) exhausted and you will now seek one of the other options - refund or replacement.

Keep track of all this in writing, recording dates and times.

Retailer has refused to replace, because 28 days have passed, which does NOT respect my consumer rights. 28 days is only a retailer rule!

P.S. Sorry for my English, is not my regular language.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,266 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Retailer has refused to replace, because 28 days have passed, which does NOT respect my consumer rights. 28 days is only a retailer rule!

P.S. Sorry for my English, is not my regular language.
    First of all you have the right to either Replace, Repair or Refund (also known as the 3Rs) and the shop choose Repair; that is NOT a breach of your consumer rights and perfectly legal.

Secondly you do NOT have the right to record a call at will and what you recorded would not be accepted in a court if you would try to present it (data protection, not secured recording and what not).

Third, Apple does NOT record every single phone call so requesting a data protection act to get the recording is a fools job at best. You have the right to request the data they have on you but chances of you getting a recording of your call is slim at best.

Fourth the issue appears to be with the courier company not picking it up; have you tried calling the courier company instead to find out why?

Now can you please stop calling Apple a lier in every single post as so far the only thing that has been "lying" here is the courier company notification with the e-mail and that could very well be an issue with the courier company and not Apple.

Oh and before you jump up and down about it; I'm not owning Apple share, work for them now or previously. My only connection with Apple is owning a 6th Gen IPOD Classic that is now 1 year old (no issues so far, knock on wood).

• Advertisement

Under Consumer law, you have no immediate right to a replacement. Apple may offer an immediate replacement within 28 days, but this is their policy, which is in addition to the law.

Under consumer law, the retailer has to offer you a replacement, refund or repair if the item is defective. It is up to them to decide which one to offer. It is then up to you to decide if you want to accept it. If you turn it down, then you must have a reason for doing so.

Apple told you that they record the calls. Likewise, you must tell them if you are recording the calls. You mentioned this first, so other posters are entitled to comment on it if they want.

Give Apple one more chance to collect the iPod for repair. (You have to show that you are reasonable). If it doesn't happen, write to them saying that as they have failed to repair the iPod, you now want a replacement or refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

I have dealt with Apple Tech support many times, and their iPod service (warranty) is in my opinion exceptional.

usually they will just replace if there is any warranty issue.

Since they have already had the ipod and said there wasn't a failure are you sure the ipod is actually broken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

can i ask where did you buy your ipod? was it bought directly from apple? if you bought it in a real shop you should return to the shop and seek redress there. the retailer/shop is obliged to offer repair replacement or refund for goods that are faulty due to poor workmanship quality of materials etc. but if you dropped your ipod or damage was caused accidentally it will not be covered under your statutory rights!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

When calling them, first what I hear is that "calls are recorded..."! So I'm sure they understand that they are recorded and don't mind, which makes me very safe to record calls as well.

Actually no it doesn't as the Data Protection Commissionr will happily confirm to you.

They have notified you that they will record calls, if you however wish to record calls that you must notify them at the beginning of the call.
    Also data protection act allows me to request and own every single record of my call in case If my records failed.

Yes it does (if available), of course to request them you'll have to follow the data protection act.
    You;ll likely find that the wording on Apple's line is "calls may be recorded....."
    but my question in this topic was about consumer rights vs Apple.

I'm aware of that,

I'd just like to point out that because you've breached the data protection act your unlikely to be allowed to use your recordings as evidence should you try to do so in the small claims court.

This is relevant to how you may choose to persue your complaint :)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    can i ask where did you buy your ipod? was it bought directly from apple? if you bought it in a real shop you should return to the shop and seek redress there. the retailer/shop is obliged to offer repair replacement or refund for goods that are faulty due to poor workmanship quality of materials etc. but if you dropped your ipod or damage was caused accidentally it will not be covered under your statutory rights!

I bought my iPod in pcworld. After failed attempt to repair, they said, that nothing they can do to help me and gave me Apple service number to call. I've been using 3 different generations of Ipods for 5 years and this is the first time I have such problem.
    2 moths I'm trying to get it fixed, just no luck.
    Thank You for comment.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Actually no it doesn't as the Data Protection Commissionr will happily confirm to you.

They have notified you that they will record calls, if you however wish to record calls that you must notify them at the beginning of the call.

Yes it does (if available), of course to request them you'll have to follow the data protection act.
    You;ll likely find that the wording on Apple's line is "calls may be recorded....."

I'm aware of that,

I'd just like to point out that because you've breached the data protection act your unlikely to be allowed to use your recordings as evidence should you try to do so in the small claims court.

This is relevant to how you may choose to persue your complaint :)
    Thank You for the comment>
    No I'm not intending to release recorded phone calls, no to court anyway.
    1. I record for my own use, in case if I would need some details of conversation.
    2. I'm able to write on the paper whole conversation if needed, which WILL perfectly work in court.
    3. If I ever need legal advice about data protection act or recorded phone calls I'll open a different thread.
    4. Yes in my case Apple has lied to me or should I say failed to repair or provide service, whatever. My IPod still doesn't work.

Nody wrote: »
    First of all you have the right to either Replace, Repair or Refund (also known as the 3Rs) and the shop choose Repair; that is NOT a breach of your consumer rights and perfectly legal.

Secondly you do NOT have the right to record a call at will and what you recorded would not be accepted in a court if you would try to present it (data protection, not secured recording and what not).

Third, Apple does NOT record every single phone call so requesting a data protection act to get the recording is a fools job at best. You have the right to request the data they have on you but chances of you getting a recording of your call is slim at best.

Fourth the issue appears to be with the courier company not picking it up; have you tried calling the courier company instead to find out why?

Now can you please stop calling Apple a lier in every single post as so far the only thing that has been "lying" here is the courier company notification with the e-mail and that could very well be an issue with the courier company and not Apple.

Oh and before you jump up and down about it; I'm not owning Apple share, work for them now or previously. My only connection with Apple is owning a 6th Gen IPOD Classic that is now 1 year old (no issues so far, knock on wood).

..Calling courier company haha... what next?! Calling car manufacturer because courier car broke :) That was funny post lol.
    I was lied to by Apple, about when they will collect my IPod TWICE already!(possible unwillingly-possible but not fact) are they are layers? You tell me, but just for a minute think it has happened to you. You've failed to read posts, because you became overexcited with defending Apple against my "evil" phone records and their lies:) You blaming me now for trying to work out my right. Yes it's very sad 230 iPod +50 Eur. insurance I've paid and 2 months cant use my Ipod:(
    ..Call courier company :)...
    Have a nice day.
    Thanks.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Absolutely 100% impossible to believe.

1) Twice I dealt with apple and they were absolutely brilliant replacing products no problem with a 3 day turn around.

2) You say you paid €50 insurance and still a genuinely broken iPod is being refused for service by both apple and the insurance company.

3) Apple returned it saying it wasn't broken.

Just calm down and ring apple again and explain calmly the problem. Don't be paranoid and record the calls.

Now just as a matter of interest whats wrong with the iPod? You never mentioned that... And all that stuff about them lying to you about UPS...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

whippet wrote: »
    I have dealt with Apple Tech support many times, and their iPod service (warranty) is in my opinion exceptional.

usually they will just replace if there is any warranty issue.

Since they have already had the ipod and said there wasn't a failure are you sure the ipod is actually broken?

I would have to agree with this. Bought an Ipod Touch in the US as I lived over there. Came home and the casing came apart. Called up the Irish number it was a rocky road getting it fixed but I remained calm and fought my case with their CS and I have to say they were excellent throughout.

- Sent the Ipod in and put on their online form "front and back of ipod not stuck together"
    - Apple send me email saying no fault found and send it back
    - Call them up spend 20mins talking to an agent and then his manager nice guy he was.
    - He arranged it to be picked and the next day it was.
    - got and email saying Ipod cannot be fixed and to call their centre
    - called them up got the same manager and again a model professional after another 20min conversation of what we could and couldn't do he just decided he would get it replaced for me.
    - Next day got email saying new one was sent to me.

Now the morale to this Apple didn't have to help me because the Ipod was bought in the US and had physical damage and I chanced my arm originally when I first called. But I found you show them respect on the phone and be calm they tend to want to help you more. I have worked in sales and CS so I knew what abuse these guys are probably used to and didnt waste my breath getting angry.

No problems dealing with them.

you are getting nowhere with apple so you should get back to pcworld and ask them to either repair replace or refund as your contract of sale is with them and they are the only people legally obliged to act in accordance with your statutory rights,

they will most likely refuse to help you instead insisting you contact apple so write to them at this stage asking for your ipod to be fixed or replaced or a refund given and if they dont respond to your satisfaction within ten days you can start proceedings in the small claims court.

remember you bought from pcworld and they are obliged by law to deal with you in this issue

• Advertisement

foggy_lad wrote: »
    you are getting nowhere with apple so you should get back to pcworld and ask them to either repair replace or refund as your contract of sale is with them and they are the only people legally obliged to act in accordance with your statutory rights,

they will most likely refuse to help you instead insisting you contact apple so write to them at this stage asking for your ipod to be fixed or replaced or a refund given and if they dont respond to your satisfaction within ten days you can start proceedings in the small claims court.

remember you bought from pcworld and they are obliged by law to deal with you in this issue

Thank You, Think I'll be going back to PCword, because have no idea what else can apple help me with.
    Sorry if for a silly question, but If happens , that I have to write to PCword, can you please suggest, shall this be an email or post letter or should I give the letter to shop assistant?
    Thank You,

gpf101 wrote: »
    Absolutely 100% impossible to believe.

1) Twice I dealt with apple and they were absolutely brilliant replacing products no problem with a 3 day turn around.

2) You say you paid €50 insurance and still a genuinely broken iPod is being refused for service by both apple and the insurance company.

3) Apple returned it saying it wasn't broken.

Just calm down and ring apple again and explain calmly the problem. Don't be paranoid and record the calls.

Now just as a matter of interest whats wrong with the iPod? You never mentioned that... And all that stuff about them lying to you about UPS...

Apple did not refuse service and I agree they are very nice on the phone, but for some reason, no courier ever has come to collect my broken Ipod TWICE. As I've mentioned earlier, thing is, that after my first call to apple service I've waited patiently for a 3 weeks for someone to collect Ipod (this had to happen on the next day, according to email from apple). I call them again to find out why no one has attempted to collect an Ipod, very politely (after waiting on hold for about 20 minutes) apple guy told me that they have had some system problems (shouldn't they keep me informed about delays? I've paid them, didn't I?! or you say I didn't?) and arranged another collection date with new repair ID, now 4 more days still no courier.
    Ipod wouldn't sync, wouldn't restore just acts as if hdd is dead. Please have no doubt I do understand when Ipods or other tech stuff is broken.
    And after all in this case they have lied to me at least 3 times already, can I call them layers?
    " Absolutely 100% impossible to believe." I wish I could say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Ok well if there is a problem I'd try ringing apple once more. Be calm and tell them it is still broken. UPS usually collect it the next day. If it is broken you are entitled to get it fixed.

Thank You, Think I'll be going back to PCword, because have no idea what else can apple help me with.
    Sorry if for a silly question, but If happens , that I have to write to PCword, can you please suggest, shall this be an email or post letter or should I give the letter to shop assistant?
    Thank You,
    address the letter to the store manager and either post it(some people recommend using registered post but i see no need for this) or deliver by hand and give to the manager then give ten days or so from the time they recieve the letter before you go to the small claims court- you can pick up the forms in any district court offices and have them filled in and ready or you can download the form from the court services website and pay the €15 fee by credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Apple did not refuse service and I agree they are very nice on the phone, but for some reason, no courier ever has come to collect my broken Ipod TWICE. As I've mentioned earlier, thing is, that after my first call to apple service I've waited patiently for a 3 weeks for someone to collect Ipod (this had to happen on the next day, according to email from apple). I call them again to find out why no one has attempted to collect an Ipod, very politely (after waiting on hold for about 20 minutes) apple guy told me that they have had some system problems (shouldn't they keep me informed about delays? I've paid them, didn't I?! or you say I didn't?) and arranged another collection date with new repair ID, now 4 more days still no courier.
    Ipod wouldn't sync, wouldn't restore just acts as if hdd is dead. Please have no doubt I do understand when Ipods or other tech stuff is broken.
    And after all in this case they have lied to me at least 3 times already, can I call them layers?
    " Absolutely 100% impossible to believe." I wish I could say that.

If its coming back "No Fault Found" the repair center have been successfully able to do a software restore on it, which means it may be an issue with your machine, do you have another machine to test on ?

You don't even need to call apple to arrange repair, you can do it yourself online:

http://depot.info.apple.com/ipod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 padraigggg

If your dealings with the folks at Apple, are anything like your dealings in this thread (your tone, word choice, etc.), then you could be part of the exacerbation of the problem. In other words, the problem could be you.

Have you tried going into an apple store?

padraigggg wrote: »
    If your dealings with the folks at Apple, are anything like your dealings in this thread (your tone, word choice, etc.), then you could be part of the exacerbation of the problem. In other words, the problem could be you.

Have you tried going into an apple store?
    was just about to suggest the op into an apple reseller if possible one that has a pc they can check your ipod on and see what is happening with it, worth a try if there is one near you?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

Hi

I have the same exact problem but mine isnt as extreme. My ipod touch broke so i requested a repair in early december

The earphone jack is broken and sound only works with the left earphone, its a common ipod touch problem apparently and my second ipod touch with this problem, I returned the first one and then got my current ipod as a present

I requested a repair and they sent me out new earphones but it didn't fix the problem.It was a do it yourself repair as they called it but the new earphones didn't fix anything. I requested another repair again on the 4th of Jan and they said a courier would pick it up the new day, and am now waiting 10 business later and they haven't come to pick it up and have sent no emails, I at first thought the heavy snow as delaying the pickup but it cant be at this stage

I haven't tried ringing them yet so thats my next step but it sounds like ill have trouble just like Zikiz

My main worry is that my ipod will be out of warranty in early February so I could be left screwed over if they never collect it

I first brought it back to DID where I bought it but they said apple will have to deal with it. Id rather just get a refund at this stage as ive been without use of my ipod for nearly 2 months and will it will soon be out of warranty and if it breaks again ill be left without a warranty

So its not just one bad experience its mine aswell and im sure im not the only one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

if you do go back to the store for a refund make sure you bring your apple support case no. with you. easier for shops to return the faulty player to the supplier and im sure they'll be happier to deal with the issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭mcR

if you do go back to the store for a refund make sure you bring your apple support case no. with you. easier for shops to return the faulty player to the supplier and im sure they'll be happier to deal with the issue :)

Thats if they give me a refund, im not sure i have grounds for a refund because technically apple didnt refuse the repair but they didnt fix it with the first repair request, thanks ill bring it with me when I try

Advertisement