Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denying our humanity

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Denying your humanity would be when you start pretending you are not human and treat other humans though you are not a member of the same species.

QFT and all that.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Malty_T wrote: »
    No "proof" in science.:pac:

Quite. Perhaps it was "science" you were relying on when you said that..
    Malty wrote:
    Religious belief is a product of evolution,

Quite how you expect your brain, the product of evolution (as commonly understood) to arrive at any kind of truth statement whatsoever (including the truth statement "evolution happened" and "my brain is capable of deciding evolution happened") is beyond my reasoning. And in all probability, your reasoning too.

Were it not that you ignore that particular (unwelcome) elephant..

Quite how you expect your brain, the product of evolution (as commonly understood) to arrive at any kind of truth statement whatsoever (including the truth statement "evolution happened" and "my brain is capable of deciding evolution happened") is beyond my reasoning. And in all probability, your reasoning too.

Quite how you expect your brain, the product of a evolution via a divine creator (as commonly understood) to arrive at any kind of truth statement whatsoever (including the truth statement "biblical events happened" and "my brain is capable of deciding biblical events happened") is beyond my reasoning. And in all probability, your reasoning too.

I rephrased your sentence because I honestly haven't a clue what you are saying.
    But if you were being pedantic, then :
    "Religion is most probably a product of evolution."

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Osgoodisgood:

The thread creator, an atheist/agnostic, made the connection that having a false belief in God(a subtle attack on Christianity) as a result of evolution is part of our humanity. It appears he is looking for atheist support in saying that "no, you can be quite human without following your primitive urge to believe in an imaginary god."

This thread actually violated the forum charter in the finality of it's statements regarding the falsity of religious belief.

I don't have a view on the OP's religious views. FWIW I didn't think he was an atheist anyway but that's not really important. Whether his post violates the charter seems to hinge on a technicality and you are welcome to argue the "religion has evolved/ is true" point amongst yourselves, at least, I won't be contributing because I don't know the answer.

My post addressed what I considered to be an entirely unprovoked and unsubstantiated comment by PDN about what the A&A forum would offer the OP if he posted there. Whilst I remain unconvinced of the purpose of such a statement, at PDN's suggestion I have exchanged PMs with him and now consider the matter dealt with and I suspect PDN does too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I think our ancestors would have witnessed things in nature that they could not explain and associated that with 'God/s'

thunder+lightning, sunrise, total eclipse, full moon, shooting stars, hurricanes, hailstones, northern lights etc

how else could they explain them

we arent hard wired to believe in a God, our intelligence has evolved over thousands of years and we have learned some of lifes mysteries, but there are things that we maybe perhaps will never know. people turn to 'God' for different reasons, some due to fear/the need for salvation, others thru family ie people are born into religion. there are many reasons.

I guarantee that any Irish Christian here in this forum would be a Muslim if they had been born in Iran instead of Ireland., because they were born into it

my parents did not force religion on me, I have looked into religion myself and the posibility if a God exists and came to my own conclusions, some people dont have that privilege

Humanity is made of both good and evil. denial is having morals

• Advertisement

I guarantee that any Irish Christian here in this forum would be a Muslim if they had been born in Iran instead of Ireland.

That is quite the statement to make. Quite the statement. Are you saying 100% gurantee? Or 59%? What about the Irish Muslims here in this forum?

Malty_T wrote: »
    That is quite the statement to make. Quite the statement. Are you saying 100% gurantee? Or 59%? What about the Irish Muslims here in this forum?

I had a feeling I might get a response like that, how many ex 'practicing Christians' Irish muslim converts are there in Ireland?

yes guarantee is a strong word but I'd be confident in a figure of at the very least 95%

did you have any issues with anything else I said or just semantics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 roger_pearse

I think our ancestors would have witnessed things in nature that they could not explain and associated that with 'God/s'

This would appear to be the fallacy of generalisation.
    I guarantee that any Irish Christian here in this forum would be a Muslim if they had been born in Iran instead of Ireland., because they were born into it

But how can you know any of these things? And how, living by convenience as you suggest you do, can you object to people doing what you do?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

And how, living by convenience as you suggest you do, can you object to people doing what you do?

All the best,

Roger Pearse

Are you suggesting that I think its wrong for people to believe in a god?
    I think religion or a belief in god can be good for some people, but it can be bad for others.
    George W Bush said God told him to go to war, he says he talks to god.
    perhaps he was talking to Ares?

All the best,

Kumate_Champ07

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Are you suggesting that I think its wrong for people to believe in a god?
    I think religion or a belief in god can be good for some people, but it can be bad for others.
    George W Bush said God told him to go to war, he says he talks to god.
    perhaps he was talking to Ares?

All the best,

Kumate_Champ07

AFAIK, Bush never made such a claim.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

I had a feeling I might get a response like that, how many ex 'practicing Christians' Irish muslim converts are there in Ireland?

yes guarantee is a strong word but I'd be confident in a figure of at the very least 95%

did you have any issues with anything else I said or just semantics?

I would agree in principle given statistical data of belief as based on geographical location. However, simply saying that the majority would probably be Muslim would suffice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

AFAIK, Bush never made such a claim.
    Urban legend, apparently.

PDN wrote: »
    Urban legend, apparently.
    no, but its not 100% confirmed.

Advertisement