Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a market for a PROPER off road vehicle ?

Options
  • 12-01-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if a manufacturer were to build and market a Proper off roader( selectable diff locks, proper low range box, proper independant suspension etc) would it sell ?? Also any other ideas as to what spec/equipment a proper off roader should have ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

who uses an offroader offroad all the time and if so what do they use it for when they do?

I presume there are other options already available to people like quadbikes, unimogs, tractors etc,

Anything that's great offroad will be a pig on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Sorry should have made myself clear, I ment a proper offroader to replace the likes of Landcruisers, Pajeros etc for people who need a proper offroad vehicle that they can use on road as well

Not sure what you mean, for the majority of people willing to spend €50k on an offroader, the limits of a Land Cruier or a Defender is as far as most people need to go.

Who would realistically buy something that drove more agriculturally than a Defender (no offense intended to and Land Roverers)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean, for the majority of people willing to spend €50k on an offroader, the limits of a Land Cruier or a Defender is as far as most people need to go.

Who would realistically buy something that drove more agriculturally than a Defender (no offense intended to and Land Roverers)

It wouldnt have to drive agriculturally, the Range Rover and the Porsche Cayenne are very capable off road and are anything but agricultural, the Defender is unnecessarily rough and Agricultural(Land Rover must be laughing in disbelief all the way to the bank every time someone goes into the dealers and buys one) basically all the current range of 4x4's are compromises in one way or another and I'm wondering is there a market for someone to make something which can do both off road and onroad(theres reason for an offroader to need to do more than 60-65mph on road) As to who'd buy them, ESB or companys like them, farmers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

I honestly dont know what your on about???
    If you dont consider a landcruiser to be a proper off-roader then you must be on about something thats barely civilian like a humvee or a unimog or something?
    A landcruiser 80 series is an awesome beast without any mods.

• Advertisement

The 80 series is designed first and foremost as a passanger carrying vehicle it just happens to be fairly good off road and again there are compromises in its design, I'm talking about a company building something that would knock anything out there at the moment into the weeds when it came to a vehicle that somebody could just get into and work with

The 80 series is designed first and foremost as a passanger carrying vehicle it just happens to be fairly good off road and again there are compromises in its design, I'm talking about a company building something that would knock anything out there at the moment into the weeds when it came to a vehicle that somebody could just get into and work with

Like a unimog?

Like a Unimog but in a smaller size. Maybe something like a Defender with a few changes and around the size of the 80 series cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I'd say the early versions of the Toyota Hilux, Land rover defender, Willy Jeep, Land cruiser were built to achieve what you are discussing.
    Look at the vehicles they drive in Afghanistan and throughout Africa. They use the above and later versions of them. I'd imagine BMW, VOlvo etc. 4x4s aren't in much demand over there.

Google Volvo TGB11?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Already out there, The VDJ200 landcruiser is the one to beat.
    V8 Diesel all the bells and whistles that you could want depending on spec.
    And with minor mods competing in the T2 class in the current Dakar in Argentina as of now.
    Minor mods are a roll cage and some suspension mount work thats more or less it.
    Some feat for a car you could drive to the shops for a pint of milk and carry on across Africa if they didn't have skim:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

Pinzgauers (now heavily used by by the Brittish Army) probably meet your description exactly. The military Merc G-Wagon is probably next nearest for a basic vehicle but makes a Defender look cheap. Pinzies are even dearer, Petrol engined 20yo ex NATO stock will set you back a min of £7k, god knows what they are new. The Volvo TGB family are similar if a touch cheaper.

A Range Rover or Disco 4 are about the most capable luxury offroaders going but rely heavily on electrickery almost removing the driver from the equation.

Others have tried over the years to make a 4x4 that does everything and have failed dismally, Land Rover realised within the first year of production that pure agricultural doesn't sell but have the utility market sewn up in the UK. Santana PS10/Iveco Massif are chipping away at the market to a limited extent.

Everyones idea of the ideal off roader is different which is why there's a small market in racers like Bowler Wildcat and Nemesis or loads of aftermarket stuff for tricking out Defenders, Landcruisers and the like (look at a copy of Total Offroad in Easons)

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Already out there, The VDJ200 landcruiser is the one to beat.
    V8 Diesel all the bells and whistles that you could want depending on spec.
    And with minor mods competing in the T2 class in the current Dakar in Argentina as of now.
    Minor mods are a roll cage and some suspension mount work thats more or less it.
    Some feat for a car you could drive to the shops for a pint of milk and carry on across Africa if they didn't have skim:D

This is basically my dream 4x4. A v8 powered landcruiser with a pop-up roof. The ultimate go-anywhere camper. The one thing i would change about this is i would have to have a window or two on the rear cab.
    Feckin brilliant.
    VDJ200-TR444-3.jpg

Personally i think an 80 series landcruiser with the 4.2td is pretty much top dog. Put a decent set of tyres on one & i reckon their unstoppable. Also a v8 defender but their hardly luxurious.

It's a discussion that will keep offroaders arguing over beers for hours about what's best (and got an earlier thread rightfully chopped when it got out of hand :rolleyes:)

I think most will agree that the older simpler vehicles are are easier to change to an owners ideal, something that's much harder with the latest vehicles be they Toyota, Land Rover, Nissan etc and is likely to be legislated against in the long run.

Also legislation is likely to stop the universal simple utility vehicle being sold for general use, the Defender as we know it can't be built for european markets after 2012 (hasn't been sold in the US for 15 years already) and production will stop.

That camper is nice, you know it would only pay €160 road tax and be NCT exempt (for now), VRT would be high though. Thought of doing that to my 110 to reduce the €948 road tax I pay.

Just noticed that I seem to have posted my previous reply twice, stupid culchie internet connection :o (now deleted)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

101sean wrote: »

Also legislation is likely to stop the universal simple utility vehicle being sold for general use, the Defender as we know it can't be built for european markets after 2012 (hasn't been sold in the US for 15 years already) and production will stop.
    Slightly off topic but what is it that has the defender destined for the subs bench. Someone said it to me a few weeks ago but didn't know why when I asked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The thing is though ...there is no need for a heavily tricked out offroad vehicle.

Anything that can reasonably drive on the road will be stopped by the first bog or a few big boulders or tree stumps.

Anything that can negotiate those obstacles has to be carted to them on a trailer.

No air bags, pedestrian unfreindly, no crumple zone (except the other car :D) etc etc. It would be too expensive to update the existing vehicle (which in it's basic form dates from 1948). The recent engine change and interior revamp involved no substantial chassis and bulkhead changes. It is also expensive to produce as assembly is labour intensive, there was talk of production moving to Turkey or India but I don't think it will happen soon.

LR/Tata assure us there will be a replacement probably on the T5 platform (what RR Sport and Disco 4 are built on)

Many fans believe the world will end in 2012 but things have to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Deadly Dave

This is basically my dream 4x4. A v8 powered landcruiser with a pop-up roof. The ultimate go-anywhere camper. The one thing i would change about this is i would have to have a window or two on the rear cab.
    Feckin brilliant.
    VDJ200-TR444-3.jpg
    I like that :cool::cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Look at the terrain this thing is crawling through.

The yanks certainly like their rock crawling, usually in very tricked out vehicles, nice to see a bog standard mog U404 doing it.

When ever i see videos of humvees in youtube with the associated 'wow they're the best 4x4 ever made' etc etc... i just direct them to this video. Good old unimog kicks arse.
    They go places that would stop a tank.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

And they have been around over 50 years, long before the Humvee was even a twinkle in a designers eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

When ever i see videos of humvees in youtube with the associated 'wow they're the best 4x4 ever made' etc etc... i just direct them to this video. Good old unimog kicks arse.
    They go places that would stop a tank.:cool:

but your ESB fleet manager would have your nuts on a plate if he saw you abusing your mog like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 johnxxx

I think the discovery is good enough

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

Just wondering if a manufacturer were to build and market a Proper off roader( selectable diff locks, proper low range box, proper independant suspension etc) would it sell ?? Also any other ideas as to what spec/equipment a proper off roader should have ??

There already is one and it's called a landrover defender :)

Soon to be replaced by a new one in 2013 though :(

• Advertisement

I wouldn't like to warranty a machine of such capabilities

Advertisement