Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Hunting Scope

Options
  • 11-01-2010 6:59pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭

My mate is looking for a hunting scope.

Against my better judgement i'm trying to help in this matter. He has a Ruger .220 Swift with a BSA 6-24X40 scope. The scope has had a serious meltdown (saw that coming) The reticle is loose, turns when magnifying and when the rifle is shook, moved or whatever the crosshairs do a dance.

He is looking for a decent hunting scope that will withstand and work and recoil of the Swift. Anything from 3-12 up to 6-24 but ideally with a 25mm tube (so he doesn't have to get new mounts, as the mounts for the Ruger are unusual) and a 50mm objective lens. Illuminated reticle would be nice but not a necessity.

As with all things price is an issue so max budget would be €200-€250. Time is a bit of an issue as he is a keen hunter and will want to replace it asap.

Any help or items suggested would be appreciated.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

just seen your post ere. i think if hes shooting a swift he may expect to pay the same for the scope as the gun if not more.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Unfortunately not an option for him. Lost his job a month ago, had to buy new car before christmas (old one gave out), new baby 2 weeks ago. The money pit is never ending for him. So spending a large(ish) amount of money on a scope is a no go. Something cheap, workable, and most importantly reliable.

Think i may have something sorted for him. Just waiting on word back from him.

I had a new Swift 6-24X56 with 30mm tube and illuminated reticle. Was going to give it to him, but he wanted to stick with the previous scope he had (meant him having to buy new rings and possibly a rail). Stuck it on my new 30-06, and its working a treat. Now he needs a scope and mine is no longer available. :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd suggest a Weaver for that kind of money. Great glass in the one I have, and you could probably get one in the right price range, especially if you miss customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

PM sent ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,476 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thanks for all the replies and help lads. He is now sorted and should be back shooting by Saturday.

Thanks again to all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement