Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pajero Vs Pajero Sport

Options
  • 11-01-2010 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

What's the difference?

Other than engine size/power is there any other difference between a 2.5 and a 3.2?

I'm looking to upgrade at some stage this year.

The general consensus around here is that I can't go wrong with a landcruiser but second hand they're quite expensive.

I'll be using the 4x4 as a regular vehicle mainly, with the odd double axle trailer being pulled and 4 wheel drive being engaged mainly while drawing timber out of slippery fields.

I've seen a 07 pajero sport lwb 2.5td for €7k, and a 06 3.2 lwb for anything up to €14k ... landcruisers are way beyond the pajero range.

What an acceptable milage secondhand and should I be looking out for any problems in particular?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

The Pajero "sport" is anything but ...it's an L200 (the crewcab one) with a slightly different body. Cramped inside and a pig to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

peasant wrote: »
    The Pajero "sport" is anything but ...it's an L200 (the crewcab one) with a slightly different body. Cramped inside and a pig to drive.

Thanks for the reply peasant.

I won't be buying new. I wouldn't go near a crew cab ... I hate the look of them. Definitely need a lwb version of whatever I get .... I'll upgrade to a 2006 or 2007 model of whatever I buy ... depending on price. Max I'm hoping to spend .... €10k .... ideal would be to spend no more than €7k.

I've bought the new for a long time, suffered the depreciation of them .... no more ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Pajeros are known to give flywheel trouble. Mine did at 88K and cost the best part of 3 grand to put right. Otherwise, no major issues with mine at least. Apparently, the Automatics don't have flywheel issues. My recommendation is for a 3.2 LWB auto. There were quite a few sold in 2006 with the "Dakar" spec, which included leather seats and big alloys.
    I would avoid the sport for the same reasons as peasant mentioned. I found them to have little power and if you try pulling out from a junction in a hurry, you'll be sitting there with one wheel spinning and going nowhere. The cabin is extremely cramped. Unless you're under 6 foot, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Pajeros are known to give flywheel trouble. Mine did at 88K and cost the best part of 3 grand to put right. Otherwise, no major issues with mine at least. Apparently, the Automatics don't have flywheel issues. My recommendation is for a 3.2 LWB auto. There were quite a few sold in 2006 with the "Dakar" spec, which included leather seats and big alloys.
    I would avoid the sport for the same reasons as peasant mentioned. I found them to have little power and if you try pulling out from a junction in a hurry, you'll be sitting there with one wheel spinning and going nowhere. The cabin is extremely cramped. Unless you're under 6 foot, I'd recommend looking elsewhere.

Thanks for that B & H .... I'll confine my search for a 2006 3.2 lwb and not the sport and keep an eye out for the dakar spec.

My only concern is the automatic gearbox ..... how does that fare with pulling trailers/4x4 drive mode?

The flywheel .... amy way of checking it prior to purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

Thanks for that B & H .... I'll confine my search for a 2006 3.2 lwb and not the sport and keep an eye out for the dakar spec.

My only concern is the automatic gearbox ..... how does that fare with pulling trailers/4x4 drive mode?

The flywheel .... amy way of checking it prior to purchase?

I've never driven an auto Pajero, so I can't comment. That said, I'd be seriously considering one if I was changing.
    As for the flywheel, it's only apparent if it's within 5,000 miles of letting go. If you're in a high gear at relatively low revs and accelerating, you'll notice significant vibration from the drivetrain. Somebody else might know better than me about the flywheel, but that was my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Pajero auto's are a dream, especially the newer ones. Pulling in them is brilliant. I have only driven one a few times while pulling, and their bang on.

All sounds promising .... now what are 2006 3.2 lwb auto 'dakar' style pajeros making?

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

oh btw, check out car auctions. you can get some seriously good prices on vehicles.

http://www.merlincarauctions.ie/

they check the car properly etc so its not like your buying something thats gonna fall apart, you can alos inspect yourself before the auction. great prices due to repo's

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

What's the difference?

Other than engine size/power is there any other difference between a 2.5 and a 3.2?

I'm looking to upgrade at some stage this year.

The general consensus around here is that I can't go wrong with a landcruiser but second hand they're quite expensive.

I'll be using the 4x4 as a regular vehicle mainly, with the odd double axle trailer being pulled and 4 wheel drive being engaged mainly while drawing timber out of slippery fields.

I've seen a 07 pajero sport lwb 2.5td for €7k, and a 06 3.2 lwb for anything up to €14k ... landcruisers are way beyond the pajero range.

What an acceptable milage secondhand and should I be looking out for any problems in particular?

Actually you can go very wrong with a landcruiser,carbon gets blown down by the injectors and into the sump.These deposits lump together and can block the gauze on the oil filter.Then the engines f***ed.Avoid them D-4D engines

Although aesthetically the landcruiser is nicer..Go for the original pajero for reliability and pullingpower

• Advertisement

pajero12 wrote: »
    Actually you can go very wrong with a landcruiser,carbon gets blown down by the injectors and into the sump.These deposits lump together and can block the gauze on the oil filter.Then the engines f***ed.Avoid them D-4D engines

Although aesthetically the landcruiser is nicer..Go for the original pajero for reliability and pullingpower

Thanks pajero12 .... when I said about consensus around here I meant around my area .... when asking people's opinions.

The 'original pajero' what years are you referring to and have you any opinion on the engine size, auto or manual etc.

Trying to sort out models can be confusing ....

Friend of mine has a 3.2 2005 swb ... and it looks more modern than others I've seen ... only criticism he has it that it's heavy on fuel.

I've seen some models with an air vent on the bonnet and others without ....

Going by advice here I should be looking for:

2006/2007 LWB (not sport), auto desirable, and 'Dakar' spec.

Anyone have a link to what I'm looking for?

Should it be something like this:

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Mitsubishi/Pajero/3.2-DIES/200949196059844/advert?channel=CARS

What kind of prices are they commanding or more importantly what should I realistically be paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

pajero12 wrote: »

The D-4D in the cruiser is brilliant imo. The oil pick up problem in the sump has been fixed with new injector seals afaik. However if you are going for a used one you need to make sure it has been serviced every 5k otherwise you run the risk of this serious problem. Having said that, if you find one, you could get the pick up filter checked and if its okay then you're good to go with regular servicing from purchase.
    Mr. T is denying all knowledge of this problem so beware bs from dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

with the LC you're still risking injectors, fuel pump and clutch failures.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Does it have to be LWB.I think the SWB are much neater.Heres a lovely example.As far as i know this is Dakar spec
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1026775

How much are you looking to spend?

that's 15k for a 2004, for €20k you'd get an 08 Land Cruiser

The 3.2s are a lot dearer than the 2.5s

I have a Frontera .... that has run its course and it's as swb as you can get. It's too small for carrying anything substancial and with no back doors it's a case of throwing yourself in the back to get anything at the back of the seats.

Throw in a dog and the back is full. He ain't happy sharing his limited space with anything other than a tool box.

No it'll have to be a lwb. (The swb pajero looks butty to me .... )

The 3.2 version seems to be a serious model but there are serious prices going with them.

How much do I want to spend? About €8k ... which would cover a 2.5 comfortably if I wait for the right one. The Frontera owes me nothing as it has well paid for itself .... but I reckon I'd get between €2.5k and €3k for it.
    Factor that in .... and my budget could hit about €11k.

If I wrapped it .... tis small money.

The link you gave to the 2004 swb pajero ... tis a lot for a 6 year old vehicle.

colm_mcm .... thanks for the link but I reckon that I'd surely get as good a deal here .... especially if I went for a straight deal.

How updated are the ads on Carzone?

Other than Carzone, Autotrader and DoneDeal are there any other sites worth looking at out there?

With regard to inporting from the UK .... is there any crowd out there who source vehicles and bring them in.

I know it happens for classics but what about 4x4s etc.?

I looked at Merlin ... I see they have a 2007 2.5 coming up at the Naas auction.

Where do they keep the spare on the lwb pajero?

Paddy Connolly 4X4 in Galway bring stuff in from the UK and they have a good reputation. they're not cheap though.

For €8/€9k I reckon a 2.5 is achievable.

I reckon I'd have to increase my budger to about €14/€15k if I want to get a 3.2 version.

I have a contact in Galway .... think I'll send them on a fact finding mission to Paddy Connolly ... thanks Colm!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Paddy Connolly 4X4 in Galway bring stuff in from the UK and they have a good reputation. they're not cheap though.

Have they a site?

I can only find a Paddy Connolly in Dublin:

http://www.carzone.ie/es-ie/car-dealers/Dublin/Paddy-Connolly-4x4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

For €8/€9k I reckon a 2.5 is achievable.

I reckon I'd have to increase my budger to about €14/€15k if I want to get a 3.2 version.

I have a contact in Galway .... think I'll send them on a fact finding mission to Paddy Connolly ... thanks Colm!

My mate works for Connolly in his Ballina depot. I am led to believe they treat their customers very well

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

i know paddy connolly has a place in ballina and one on the ballinrobe road in castlebar. wheres he in galway?

Is Paddy Connolly Galway the same guy as Paddy Connolly Dublin?

Is the 2.5 a waste of money? Should I go that extra mile for the 3.2? For the extra cash is it worth it?

i dont know about paddy connolly in galway.the guy in dublin has places in ballina and castlebar.
    it depends on what you will be towing .
    i tow a 12ft x 6ft trailer with a 2.5 pajero sport and often tow 3 tons
    in it no problem.
    its not as lively as the 3.2 and is alittle cramped behind the steering wheel but they are not as bad as people say they are.

mossfort wrote: »
    i dont know about paddy connolly in galway.the guy in dublin has places in ballina and castlebar.
    it depends on what you will be towing .
    i tow a 12ft x 6ft trailer with a 2.5 pajero sport and often tow 3 tons
    in it no problem.
    its not as lively as the 3.2 and is alittle cramped behind the steering wheel but they are not as bad as people say they are.

Biggest load I'd be towing would be a double axle 8'x4' .... sand, gravel, turf, blocks.

On occassion I'd probably pull a cow box with at most two animals in it.

Could it handle a fully loaded car transporter?

If the 2.5 could handle that I reckon I'd get away with it.

Anything would be a step up from the Frontera.

How's the 2.5 in 4 wheel drive mode?

i dont know about paddy connolly in galway.

I'll get my contact in Galway looking for him .... it could be fun! :D

if you only pulling an 8x4 trailer it would be well up to it.
    the best thing you can do is test drive a secondhand pajero 2.5sport and 3.2 and see what you think of each of them.

if you only pulling an 8x4 trailer it would be well up to it.
    the best thing you can do is test drive a secondhand pajero 2.5sport and 3.2 and see what you think of each of them.

Thanks mossfort.

Will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭broro22

If you can stretch to the 3.2 go for it. Apart from the flywheel they dont give much trouble engine is chain driven no worries about balancer shaft belts breaking and taking the timing belt with them the cylinder head on the 2.5 are soft inclined to crack if they over heat. You,ll never find a 3.2 wanting for power. I have a 2.5 L200 its hard on diesel and under powered wouldnt buy an other 2.5.

• Advertisement

Is Paddy Connolly Galway the same guy as Paddy Connolly Dublin?

Is the 2.5 a waste of money? Should I go that extra mile for the 3.2? For the extra cash is it worth it?

He gives an address in Sandyford but all the jeeps are in (What I thought was Galway) Mayo

He's not to be confused with Paddy Connolly from Naas Kia

Advertisement