Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Indoor Season Results Thread: Road to Doha World Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Is Gillick intending to run?

Hopefully Hesh can get his time down, and Chamney should get the standard. Maybe Gregan can pull a big time out, i hope he's doing the UK trials this weekend to get a fast race.

Gillick said on OB sport just there that he's going to run an indoor race over the next fortnight and judge from that whether he'll go to Doha. He's down to race in Gent next week.

Don't think Hesh is aiming for Doha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

McCarthy? Good to see his 'contacts' in AAI are still looking after him. Very surprised to see him selected.

Guess its all about who you know

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Milesandmiles

NickDrake wrote: »
    McCarthy? Good to see his 'contacts' in AAI are still looking after him. Very surprised to see him selected.

Not sure what you're getting at here :(. My understanding was that he got a standard in the last couple of days or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

Are you having a laugh? Do you actually know what you are talking about?

Its mentioned in the Daily Whinge, article below.
    World Indoor Selection Shocker - Athlete With Qualifying Standard Selected For Irish Team.

In yet another blatant example of croneyism and favouritsim towards David McCarthy, the Kildareman has been controversially forced to run in this years indoor championship. McCarthy has only himself to blame after running the qualifying standard in Vienna last week. The selection committee said "Our hands are tied, I know it looks bad but he had the time as set down by the IAAF and we are forced to send them".

<Snip>

McCarthy was unavailable for comment but a spokeswoman for the Kildare-Limerick-Le Cheile-Red Headed-Former 400m moving Up to 800m clique did say that David was sorry for any hurt he caused in running the qualifying standard and that in future he might just stop training hard, stop racing and just talk sh*te with his mates about how great he could have been if he kept running.

Interesting article!

Was looking at the indoor rankings and our male juniors in the 400-800 are really coming along. We have 5 juniors in the top 9 in the 400 in Crowe, Harvey, Maher, Scanlan and Hannon and 3 of the top 8 in the 800 in English, McBrearty and Ingram. I think as regards the running events for men it could be an area that we can get even stronger at and that we may be suited to these events more so than other events - more so than the shorter sprints or longer middle distance. Good to see so many juniors putting it up to the older guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

Tingle wrote: »
    Was looking at the indoor rankings and our male juniors in the 400-800 are really coming along. We have 5 juniors in the top 9 in the 400 in Crowe, Harvey, Maher, Scanlan and Hannon and 3 of the top 8 in the 800 in English, McBrearty and Ingram. I think as regards the running events for men it could be an area that we can get even stronger at and that we may be suited to these events more so than other events - more so than the shorter sprints or longer middle distance. Good to see so many juniors putting it up to the older guys.

Theres also Paul Robinson woh beat Alan O'Brien and McBrearty over 1000m at AAI games, he was down for the 3k in Belfast but didnt run ... hope is nothing serious

Theres also Paul Robinson woh beat Alan O'Brien and McBrearty over 1000m at AAI games, he was down for the 3k in Belfast but didnt run ... hope is nothing serious

Yes, forgot about him. He could be the best of the lot, he has a vicious kick.

Are you having a laugh? Do you actually know what you are talking about?

Its mentioned in the Daily Whinge, article below.

Interesting article!

McCarthy ran a shocker in the Nationals and will be WAY out of his depth in Doha. I just don't see the point in sending him. He will get killed in the 800m outdoor nationals so its not like it is a long term benefit thing.

He is not our future over 800m so don't come back with the development argument. There are at least 5 lads faster than him in the country come the summer.

You some clown writing up that article.

I didn't write it, its in the Daily Whinge. You must know who wrote it as they surely contacted you to get the quote that you are credited with in it. If they have mis-quoted you I would get onto them. Their contact details are Whinging@TheDailyWhinge.ie or send a letter to PO Box I Have Something Against David McCarthy.
    He is not our future over 800m so don't come back with the development argument. There are at least 5 lads faster than him in the country come the summer.

He has the standard. It would be a controversy not to send him. Nobody is talking about development here. But while you mention you could say one thing that McCarthy lacks is race nous and especially in championship races. Exposing him to championship races is probably a good thing so yes now that you mention the development thing I think its another reason to send him.

When fit (so exclude last year) he is consistently the 3rd fastest guy in the country. I know we shouldn't let statistics get in the way of a good old argument. He will likely run 1:47 or faster in the summer. Apart from the Big Two, who else will. Who are these other 3 outside the Big Two who are likely to run 1:46 or 1:47?

If David McCarthy is only ranked 6th come the end of the summer having run (as he should) 1:47 (or faster) then we are in for a cracking season for Irish 800m running.

I didn't write it, its in the Daily Whinge. You must know who wrote it as they surely contacted you to get the quote that you are credited with in it. If they have mis-quoted you I would get onto them. Their contact details are Whinging@TheDailyWhinge.ie or send a letter to PO Box I Have Something Against David McCarthy.

He has the standard. It would be a controversy not to send him. Nobody is talking about development here. But while you mention you could say one thing that McCarthy lacks is race nous and especially in championship races. Exposing him to championship races is probably a good thing so yes now that you mention the development thing I think its another reason to send him.

When fit (so exclude last year) he is consistently the 3rd fastest guy in the country. I know we shouldn't let statistics get in the way of a good old argument. He will likely run 1:47 or faster in the summer. Apart from the Big Two, who else will. Who are these other 3 outside the Big Two who are likely to run 1:46 or 1:47?

If David McCarthy is only ranked 6th come the end of the summer having run (as he should) 1:47 (or faster) then we are in for a cracking season for Irish 800m running.

He won't run 1.46. I can guarrantee you that. He is tactically very poor anf he will get slaughtered over. Don't see the point.

• Advertisement

Ok guys, let's cool the jets and just discuss the athletics from here on in please.

My own view on McCarthy for what it's worth, yes he's taken a few years to find his feet in the 800m after the move up, but he's fulfilled the criteria set down by the AAI to qualify for the World Indoors and ran under the appropriate standard, and there's no doubt in my mind he should be going. I fail to see how his alleged 'contacts' in the AAI would even be needed, seeiming he did everything required to qualify on his own merits.

And please avoid unsubstantiated allegations about anyone making teams that they shouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Is Gillick intending to run?

Hopefully Hesh can get his time down, and Chamney should get the standard. Maybe Gregan can pull a big time out, i hope he's doing the UK trials this weekend to get a fast race.

As far as i know scholarship athletes in college are expected to run one or two intervarsities each season if fit so i would assume he may line up in that race this weekend not 100% sure on that though

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I must subscribe to the Daily Whinge - very insightful piece Tingle - the only response to blatant begrudgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

McCarthy's 1.48.29 beat's the qualifying standard for the World Indoors which is 1:48.5.
    This time is not only top of the Irish rankings for 2010, it's would have topped the Irish indoor rankings for 2009 and would be top of the UK rankings for 2010 (McIroys 1:48.64). The European Athletics website doesn't have rankings for 2010 yet, anyone know where his time stands in European terms ?

More than deserves his shot in my opinion.

notsofast wrote: »
    The European Athletics website doesn't have rankings for 2010 yet, anyone know where his time stands in European terms ?

He is 11th. Another 3/10ths and he'd be 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

As far as I know Gregan isnt Chasing the standard and would only go to world indoors as part of a realy team because the world indoors are too late in the season and would into his plans for the outdoors, Its good to see him focusing on the bigger picture as the euro seniors this summer will be a huge championship for him

And Dave Mc should be sent, standard in the bag! He could suprise some people at these. Pitty there isnt more Male Athletes going

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

He got the standard. End of.

There is a rumour of a 4x400 being sent if Gillick goes. It would be him, Gregan, Hogan, McCarthy and possibly Crowe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Goofy wrote: »
    He got the standard. End of.

There is a rumour of a 4x400 being sent if Gillick goes. It would be him, Gregan, Hogan, McCarthy and possibly Crowe.

From the impression given in interview at weekend Gillicks sole aim this year is the Europeans and as such i cant see a relay team being sent to the worlds

ecoli wrote: »
    From the impression given in interview at weekend Gillicks sole aim this year is the Europeans and as such i cant see a relay team being sent to the worlds

There will be a relay team sent to World if enough guys go low 48.

Tim Crowe won't go low 48, he is young and will be a great one for the future but he ain't ready to be at that level yet. Hogan may go low 48 if he gets the right race (if Gregan had been in the final on Sunday he may have). Brian Murphy may go 48. Gregan has. Murphy for me is the key man in the piece, if he can get down there then they will have their quartet. McCarthy being out there anyway in the 800 would be a handy reserve.

I would be surprised if Gillick doesn't go to Doha.

I would be surprised if Gillick doesn't go to Doha.

He's racing in Birmingham on Satursday week, so I guess his form there will sway his decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

For the Olympics, a team has to be ranked in the top 16 to get included. There is no standard set for the World indoors. Does that mean that it's up to AAI to decide if it's worthwhile sending a team ? If there is a longer term goal to send a team to London, then the sooner the process is started the better. If Gillick does go, presumably it will ultimately be finances that decide if another 3 get sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

From what Ive heard the benchmark for making the 4x4 team is sub 48.5
    so hopfully by the end of the month there should be 4lads under that.
    As tingle said Murphy is the key to the team being sent. He running in the three A's this weekend so should get a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭DJS

Murphy is injured isnt he?? Thats why he didnt race at the weekend.. I doubt if he will be fit come this weekend

Any Irish in action this weekend? Derval doing the trials?

There are about 25 Irish competing at the UK trials:

Startlists: http://www.uka.org.uk/uka-major-events/2010/aviva-indoor-world-trials-and-uk-championships/

Colvert with 6.93 PB in heats of 60m at UK nationals.

Brady, McSweenwy and Whelan all through in 60m heats.

Live results here;

http://uka.org.uk/results/20100213_sheffield/timetable/index/index.html

Colvert was running agaisnt Chambers so thats an excellent run, Nick Hogan qualifies in 48.91 and Brian Murphy in 48.98. The three 60m girls are all in the lane next to each other in there semi final. They should all get through

...and all three qualify. 7.42 for Brady.

1 Joice MADUAKA WOODFORD G 7.35 0.148 Q

2 Claire BRADY IRL 7.42 0.198 Q

3 Ailis MCSWEENEY IRL 7.50 0.142 Q

4 Niamh WHELAN IRL 7.52 0.154 Q

Rineanna wrote: »
    ...and all three qualify. 7.42 for Brady.

1 Joice MADUAKA WOODFORD G 7.35 0.148 Q

2 Claire BRADY IRL 7.42 0.198 Q

3 Ailis MCSWEENEY IRL 7.50 0.142 Q

4 Niamh WHELAN IRL 7.52 0.154 Q

Brady was 3rd fastest qualifier, reaction wasnt good either so potentially 5 hundredths to take off at least just on reaction time alone

• Advertisement

Claire Brady 4th in 7.40. She's running very consistently. Whelan in 5th, McSweeney DQ'd.

Advertisement