Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Indoor Season Results Thread: Road to Doha World Champs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Great news. Delighted for her. Her series, despite three fouls, was pretty strong too, with a 6.47m and a 6.55m. Onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Ste Colvert with a new PB in the 60m in 7.06. Good indication of his improved starts and good signs for the summer hopefully

Amy Foster set her second PB of the season, with a 7.49 run over 60m in Birmingham.

http://www.niathletics.org/news/default.asp?ID=1663&itemId=219&topicId=&va=0

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭TrackFan123

ecoli wrote: »
    Ste Colvert with a new PB in the 60m in 7.06. Good indication of his improved starts and good signs for the summer hopefully

That from Jordanstown? Have a link to the results?

To be fair i think his 60 pbs were from when he first started running. He certainly wasnt running 7.3 60m splits on the way to 10.65. Hopefully see him get comfortably under 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

ecoli wrote: »

When was this?

• Advertisement

Deirdre Ryan jumped 1.80m in Cottbus last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/athletics-proper-focused-on-long-jump-glory-as-heptathlon-talk-quashed-2038493.html
    KELLY Proper's new Irish long jump record of 6.62m in Vienna last weekend has clinched her place in next month's World Indoors and, she says, underlines why she's not tempted to switch to the heptathlon.

Irish fans will see the talented Waterford star in action at the Woodies National Indoors in Belfast in a week's time and in the coming month, she's also hoping to compete in the Birmingham GP on February 20.

Getting into the Birmingham long jump would likely pit her against Britain's world-class heptathletes, reigning world champion Jessica Ennis and 2007 bronze medallist Kelly Sotherton.

And many feel that Proper, currently the Irish long jump and 200m champion, who also took 100m silver at the Nationals last summer, could take a similar path as she has serious potential as an international multi-eventer.

However, the Ferrybank field star says she has no notion of switching disciplines.

Having gone full-time this season, she is concentrating solely on the long jump right now, especially as she's already qualified for this summer's European Championships, a competition where 6.62m took fourth place back in 2006.

"I used to do multi-events when I was 16-17 and I was good at the throws, but the 800m nearly killed me," Proper quips.

"I think a lot of people switch to heptathlon when they're not doing well in their individual event, but I am very happy with it," she said.

"Plus, I am already training so hard for the long jump and my coaches -- Brid and Alan Golden -- have three small kids and certainly wouldn't have time to be training me for other events."

Having added 30cm to her personal best in the past year, Proper is clearly still developing.

She jumped a 6.59 best to reach the European Indoor final last March. The only blip in 2009 was when her big leap of 6.68m at the Nationals was wind-assisted, which meant she didn't qualify for the World Championships in Berlin.

"I really felt in great shape that day and felt that I would have jumped a PB without the wind," Proper says, admitting that indoor jumping is her preference.

"Having a wind behind you is much more disruptive because you're having to change your mark and run-up and can foul more often," she explains. Yet she still has no complaints about having to train outdoors all year round, even during the recent arctic conditions, because of Ireland's lack of indoor facilities.

"There's nothing you can do about it, so you just get on with it," Proper says stoically.

Elsewhere the 26th AXA Raheny Five Mile race takes place on Sunday at 3.0, with juvenile races (€5) from 2.15.

And for those who prefer their running wet and wild, there's a new 5km 'Mud Run', in aid of MS Ireland, taking place on the off-road track in Mondello Park on February 27.

Results from Jordanstown

http://www.niathletics.org/download/1/Results2010-ANIIndoorOpenJan.xls

Deam Adams running 6.91 twice, brilliant result and over a tenth off his PB, looking good for Odessey

There are a RAKE of Irish in action at the London City Games in Lee Valley, including Ailis McSweeney, Claire Brady, Elaine McCaffrey, Mairead Murphy, Pamela Hughes, Darragh Graham, Eoin Hannon, Chris Russell, Steve Colvert, Paul Brizzel, Brian Gregan, Gordon Kennedy, Brian Murphy, Eoin Mulhall, Joe Warne, Simon Phelan and others.

Kelly Proper is also down to compete there, but she was down to compete in Bratislava too, so not sure where or if she's competing. Kerry Harty and David McCarthy are also competing in Bratislava.

Paul Hession racing in Karlsruhe today:
    Heat 2
    Lane BIB Name DOB NAT PB i PB o NR
    1 82 Aslan, Ismail 07.03.1981 TUR 6,71 10,43 6,70
    2 41 Kosenkow, Alexander 14.03.1977 GER 6,62 10,14 6,53
    3 68 Schwab, Stefan 29.05.1987 GER 6,59 10,19 6,53
    4 46 Phillips, Dwight 01.10.1977 USA 6,47 10,06 6,39
    5 13 Clarke, Lerone 07.07.1981 JAM 6:63 9,99 6,49
    6 74 Unger, Tobias 10.07.1979 GER 6.60 10,16 6,53
    7 24 Hession, Paul 27.01.1983 IRL 6,61 10,18 6,61
    8 27 Howard, Julian 03.04.1989 GER 6,92 - - - 6,53
    Stand: 30.01.2010

• Advertisement

Lane BIB Name DOB NAT PB i PB o NR
    1 82 Aslan, Ismail 07.03.1981 TUR 6,71 10,43 6,70
    2 41 Kosenkow, Alexander 14.03.1977 GER 6,62 10,14 6,53
    3 68 Schwab, Stefan 29.05.1987 GER 6,59 10,19 6,53
    4 46 Phillips, Dwight 01.10.1977 USA 6,47 10,06 6,39
    5 13 Clarke, Lerone 07.07.1981 JAM 6:63 9,99 6,49
    6 74 Unger, Tobias 10.07.1979 GER 6.60 10,16 6,53
    7 24 Hession, Paul 27.01.1983 IRL 6,61 10,18 6,61
    8 27 Howard, Julian 03.04.1989 GER 6,92 - - - 6,53

Strong field for Hession there, interesting to see what he does against Philips the LJ world champion and Clarke, whos gone sub 10. Obviously its just an opener so it doesnt matter too much ... anyone know if Hesh is planning a full indoor season or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kilkenny runner

this was posted yesterday .... does anybody know how they did ???

There are a RAKE of Irish in action at the London City Games in Lee Valley, including Ailis McSweeney, Claire Brady, Elaine McCaffrey, Mairead Murphy, Pamela Hughes, Darragh Graham, Eoin Hannon, Chris Russell, Steve Colvert, Paul Brizzel, Brian Gregan, Gordon Kennedy, Brian Murphy, Eoin Mulhall, Joe Warne, Simon Phelan and others.

Kelly Proper is also down to compete there, but she was down to compete in Bratislava too, so not sure where or if she's competing. Kerry Harty and David McCarthy are also competing in Bratislava

They haven't posted the results as of yet, I don't think.

Paul hession ran 6.78 in the heat.

Chamney had a good win in New Mexico with 1:50.27 over 800, comfortable win based on time of 2nd place.

London Games results...too many to list, so follow this link and scroll down to London Games and click on it. It's an Excel file:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/resultslookup.aspx

Brian Gregan 47.67 in 400m, Clare Brady 7.48 in 60m and Steve Colvert dips under 7 seconds to 6.98 are just some.

Impressive by Gregan, has he ever raa indoors before?

Impressive by Gregan, has he ever raa indoors before?

He has but that takes a second off his indoor PB.

The 400 guys are travelling well. We have 3 juniors sub 50 indoors in Scanlan, Crowe and Hannon and two more with the potential to go maybe sub 50 all going well next week in Kervick and Maher.

Tingle wrote: »
    He has but that takes a second off his indoor PB.

The 400 guys are travelling well. We have 3 juniors sub 50 indoors in Scanlan, Crowe and Hannon and two more with the potential to go maybe sub 50 all going well next week in Kervick and Maher.

Bodes well for another 4x400 in the World Juniors

Bodes well for another 4x400 in the World Juniors

Yes indeed and a few others can be thrown in there like Harvey but I don't know if any will get the individual standard as its sub 48. I think they should send them if they have 5 or 6 sub 50 as Gillick refers to his trip to the World Juniors on a relay as a real turning point for him.

Crowe is one to watch in years to come over the hurdles. Ran low 54 last year and the World Junior standard (53.34) is now in his radar based on his great indoor run yesterday. Has a good pedigree, his old man was a handy runner himself!

Good news on McCarthy (le Cheile).

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=11652
    Bratislava David McCarthy (Le Cheile AC) was an easy winner over 800m in a time of 1:49.40 - just outside his indoor best of 1:49.12.

Yes indeed and a few others can be thrown in there like Harvey but I don't know if any will get the individual standard as its sub 48. I think they should send them if they have 5 or 6 sub 50 as Gillick refers to his trip to the World Juniors on a relay as a real turning point for him.

Crowe is one to watch in years to come over the hurdles. Ran low 54 last year and the World Junior standard (53.34) is now in his radar based on his great indoor run yesterday. Has a good pedigree, his old man was a handy runner himself!

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/?p=11652

I think Scanlan has a good chance of getting the standard, he is a second off it with his first run indoors. Logically he should get 47.90 by july, however he seems to run better indoors.

Harvey is experienced having ran at two major internationals now and i think can go low 48, he also showed promise over the hurdles last summer. Fearghus Hannon is another quite promising one, apparently ran a very quick first leg at the European Juniors in the heats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

At the Leinster senior championships yesterday, Kourosh was 2nd in the Long Jump but didn't compete in the High Jump (won by Barry Pender with 2.10). Anyone know if he got injured ?

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

And more good news!!

David McCarthy (Le Chéile AC) made qualifying time with a 1:48.29 today.

Wow, he's back with a bang. We might have three going to Barcelona in the 800m!

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

notsofast wrote: »
    At the Leinster senior championships yesterday, Kourosh was 2nd in the Long Jump but didn't compete in the High Jump (won by Barry Pender with 2.10). Anyone know if he got injured ?

Hi Notsofast

Kouroush took a tumble at the long jump.... he seemed to slip on the board and landed very badly..... he had his knee strapped up after that. what was fantastic to see was that he went over to the high jump and really gave his support to Barry, as Barry attempted to get a CBP..... it was lovely for the young kids doing the relays to see the sportsmanship he showed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

daviddwyer wrote: »
    Hi Notsofast

Kouroush took a tumble at the long jump.... he seemed to slip on the board and landed very badly..... he had his knee strapped up after that. what was fantastic to see was that he went over to the high jump and really gave his support to Barry, as Barry attempted to get a CBP..... it was lovely for the young kids doing the relays to see the sportsmanship he showed.

Hope he's not too badly injured. It's great to see sportsmanship in up and coming athletes.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Hope he's not too badly injured. It's great to see sportsmanship in up and coming athletes.

Athletics Ireland confirmed on twitter that he's still going to be competing in Belfast, so it mustn't be too serious.

Aside from the Irish in action at the NCs, Allistair Cragg is in action in the men's 5000m, against a quality field including Bernard Lagat and Shadrack Korir and Galen Rupp.

Alistair Cragg IRL
    Shadrack Korir KEN
    Markos Geneti ETH
    Reid Coolsaet CAN
    Bernard Lagat USA
    Bobby Curtis USA
    Haron Lagat KEN
    Dejen Gebremeskel ETH
    Scott Overall GBR
    Galen Rupp USA
    Bekana Daba ETH
    Ian Burrell USA
    Sam Chelanga KEN
    Josphat Boit KEN
    Adam Perkins USA

Doha's still over a month away, why isnt this stickied anymore?

It was accidental, apologies. :eek:

Initial Irish team announced:

Men
    David McCarthy, Le Cheile AC: 800m

Women
    Claire Brady, Celbridge AC: 60m
    Derval O'Rourke, Leevale AC: 60m Hurdles
    Kelly McNeice, City of Lisburn: 1500m
    Deirdre Byrne, Sli Chulainn AC: 3000m
    Kelly Proper, Ferrybank AC: Long Jump

http://www.rte.ie/sport/athletics/2010/0208/athletics.html

• Advertisement

Is Gillick intending to run?

Hopefully Hesh can get his time down, and Chamney should get the standard. Maybe Gregan can pull a big time out, i hope he's doing the UK trials this weekend to get a fast race.

Advertisement