Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

motivation weight loss clinics: good or bad??

Options
  • 10-01-2010 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

just wondering if anyone has any experience with these clinics, was considering going to one.

got bad injury to my leg almost 5 years ago and only had op to fix in dec 09 (medical reasons) and in those 5 years i have gained 4.5 stone!!!!

i have no willpower and can not seem to motivate myself. before injury i was a very sporty person, am finding it extremely hard to get back into it.
    also moved to new small village in midlands and very hard to do anything as noone to do it with.

help, has anyone gone to these cinlics and had a success story.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Website doesn't give much away. It might work for you but 4.5 stone is an awful lot unless you were very very skinny before.

What's your height/weight?

If you can't motivate yourself it might be a good idea. How much they charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭xxlplease

Website doesn't give much away. It might work for you but 4.5 stone is an awful lot unless you were very very skinny before.

What's your height/weight?

If you can't motivate yourself it might be a good idea. How much they charge?

Not only website doesn't give much away but employees themselves aren't really helpful, including managers who refused to talk to me about their "techniques" . I made a few phonecalls ( I was doing body acceptance research for work at that time ), sent a few e-mails. All I wanted was a casual chat so I could recommend this place to my clients.....big dissapointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mollysmam

thanks for the feedback guys, yes i was very skinny before hand, i am not looking to grt the full 4.5 stone off just about 3 stone and i would be happy, that would get me down to around 10 stoneish: in 5ft 3in!!

thanks again guys, maybe i'll just join weight watchers or unislim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mollysmam wrote: »
    thanks for the feedback guys, yes i was very skinny before hand, i am not looking to grt the full 4.5 stone off just about 3 stone and i would be happy, that would get me down to around 10 stoneish: in 5ft 3in!!

thanks again guys, maybe i'll just join weight watchers or unislim.

NO! don't go near weightwatchers. Calorie counting is nearly always a terrible idea. They teach you to love the scales more than what you see in the mirror.

Also people think they're doing great really fast but its only because the glycogen stores in their liver reduce quickly from being starved.

By taking in insufficient calories your body starts taking energy from your lean tissue muscle. Muscle which normally burns up calories you eat.

If you're goign to the trouble of joining weightwatchers why not instead join a gym and get free nutrition advice from the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

NO! don't go near weightwatchers. Calorie counting is nearly always a terrible idea. They teach you to love the scales more than what you see in the mirror. /quote]

I know what you mean but I as the OP wants motivation and has to start somewhere then maybe ww or unislim would be the way to go for the beginning at least.

@mollysmam - - The motivation clinics are REALLY expensive. At the initial week you get about an hour with your instructor or whatever they are called where they go through the diet [which is basically low carb] and tell you to exercise more. After that its a weekly weigh in and chat for 15 minutes.

The figure of 800 euro for 20 weeks is in my head for some reason - think I read that on here somewhere but I could be wrong. IMO you'd be a billion times better off spending the money on going to a personal trainer and doing ww. I do think that a weekly weigh would help you with motivation. AFAIK ww do a 'core' plan which focuses on proper, wholesome food rather than loads of low-fat, low calorie crap. I think their points plan isn't great as a long term option but lots of ppl on here will disagree with that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

I'm not a big fan of any kind of dieting, but I will say this, Weight Watchers was the ONLY diet my mother ever lost weight on and kept it off until she decided jelly babies was more important to her than a smaller waist and lowered blood pressure. Over the course of a year she lost almost 3 stone in total, unhurried and unstressed. I'm not saying it is perfect by any stretch, but maybe it ought not to be discounted so easily.
    Either way, good luck with your path OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

signed up for motivation weight loss ...think it was 500 odd euro for 20 weeks but also you have to take protein supplements (which they sell) which cost 20euro a week so that adds another 500 so it expensive enough.Then again you weekly shopping bill will be cheaper because your eating less.
    It didn't work for me, i was on 1000 calories a day 151/2 stone at the time......i did manage to lose a stone in month and a half but looking back i think that was to restrictive ......any question and I'd be glad to answer if i can
    best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 libchic

Hi, I went for a one off consultation on Friday, it cost €25 and I was weighed etc. They gave me a breakdown of the programme cost which was €490 for the 20 weeks (plus a potential €600 over a twenty week period for protein bars!) plus €35 for motivational CD's.
    It is REALLY expensive but if it works then it would be worth it. Has it really worked for anyone out there?
    The consultant was slow to divulge a lot of info even at that stage, it seems that you have to sign up before you get a blow by blow account of the programme. Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated! Also forgot to ask her but do you have to have the protein bars, as without buying them every week it does substantially reduce the overall cost (Although the implication by the consultant was that they are the magic ingredient to the weight loss!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I know someone who lost 10 stone on Motivation. If you work best with a lot of support, then it's a good program. They are a bit too inclined to push their supplements, but if you opt to eat similar but cheaper (and better quality) ones, they don't get upset.

The fact that it is expensive can be a motivating factor: you're paying all this money, you are damn well going to stick with the program.

As said, it is expensive, and if your problem is just over-sized portions and too much time in front of the computer, than a gym membership might be a better use of your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

I really don't understand why you need to pay such extortionate amounts to lose weight. Just read the stickies here in the forum.

Cut carbs.
    Eat more lean protein.
    More healthy fats.
    Move more.

Simple as. People who pay all this money to lose weight are looking for an easy way out. There is none. The only way you'll get to your desired weight is if you put some real effort in.

And protein bars are a pile of ****e. Get your protein from non-processed sources for god's sake. Lean meat, eggs, nuts, etc etc.

No wonder people are so easily ripped off. You can throw all the money you want at these programs but you'll stay fat forever unless you do something yourself about it. You can get thin without spending an extra cent if you want to. Healthier food is cheaper. If you really want to spend 500 quid, buy a gym membership and ask an instructor to do you up a program. And stick to it.

You don't need a 20 week diet change. You need to change your lifestyle for good, or losing weight will never be a permanent thing.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

bp1989 wrote: »
    If you really want to spend 500 quid, buy a gym membership and ask an instructor to do you up a program. And stick to it.

€500 quid would by you 20 weeks of personal training sessions (If you cut a deal) and a decent diet book, and while I believe that a good diet is 90% of the weight loss effort, you can have your trainer weigh you/measure your body fat each week to keep you on track. Most trainers know the basics on nutrition, they're certainly more qualified than the people off the street that work in motivation, that are required to have zero qualifications.

I would seriously consider some other options before spending this amount of money OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 libchic

Simple as. People who pay all this money to lose weight are looking for an easy way out. There is none. The only way you'll get to your desired weight is if you put some real effort in.

I dont think this is true, as even though you pay the money, you still have to put in the work!! The programme is no quick fix, and I am not looking for an easy way out. Since my heaviest I have lost approx seven stone, but, over the past two years have put back on about 2 stone and I am finding it hard to lose it and keep it off.
    I am no stranger to the effort and dedication required to weight loss. The reason that I am considering the motivation clinic is that it is one on one, with support and you in some ways are more accountable. With weight watchers which I have used before it is easier to coast.
    I understand where you are coming from as it is a lot of money, but if it helps establish the non food aspects of weight gain and helps keep the weight off then it is worth it.
    Either way thanks for your opinions, though still undecided about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 anitsua

@libchic - Have you started the motivational diet then? I just started a few weeks and yeah its a lot of money, but after doing every yoyo diet like weight watchers and weigh lighter etc and going to a nutritionist, I still couldnt lose the weight and keep anything off. So I started exercising and found I was ravenous from that. I've spent the last 4 months exercising every day without fail, walking for miles and doing gym work and all i lost was 10lbs. So i'm giving it my best shot, I already spent a fortune on fad diets and a few weeks into this motivational diet, i'm finding that i'm not going crazy. They are very supportive and want to address the issues behind emotional eating. Oh and the snickers type protein bars are lovely......and the bbq soy snacks too.....so i'm not craving my chocolate and crisps! Anyway, hope you got something sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭snooleen

My aunt went to motivations, from the sounds of it, the diet was extremely restrictive, as in the meals were very small but I suppose that's what you need to do if you're trying to lose weight. However, she said she was never hungry on it. She lost quite a lot of weight, I'm not sure exactly how much but she is now a size 12 and use to be about an 18. She was really happy with it, but it is expensive. Now that she's finished with them though, she finds herself being tempted by fatty foods, but has managed to maintain her new weight overall. I think that these kinds of weight loss methods work due to the weekly consultation-people are embarrassed to walk in every week and be judged by this person if they feel that they have gained a pound or two or not lost any wight. I remember my aunt would be extremely attentive to her diet all week until her meeting, then come to our house, tell us she had lost whatever amount of pounds, and have her few drinks that night before being good again for the rest of the week. WE used to joke and call it 'the cult' because of the c.ds and the expensive bars they sell as snacks, but if you are contemplating it, she has found an alternative, they're boots chocolate orange bars I think, possibly the ones suitable for diabetics or else just the low fat ones, which are much cheaper for a box. It seems to work as my uncle and a neighbour also did it with great results, the only problem is maintaining a healthy (but not so strict) diet afterwards. Good luck with your weight loss anyway, whatever you choose! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Did not work for me, personally.

But I know others who have had huge success with them.

So while I would not send people their way, these folks I know think they are amazing. So its whatever works for you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ian1234

Hi

I did it and lost 2.5 stone in about 2 months....it is strict but my issue was with will power. I was also very fit and still use the gym but i had put on weight and couldn't shift it....i think if the issue is will power, then this programme is great. It's a simple solution overall but they explain it well and deliver a very personal service. The money I spent on it was the best thing I ever did. I have put ona few pounds since I finished but am going back to their basic guidelines and will lose the weight quickly again.....

I'd go for it......

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

OP have you tried looking in the back of the Midland Tribune? Last time I was home I saw that at least one GAA club was running a ladies only circuit training (similar to Curves) also there is a Curves gym in Tullamore.

I admit I'm biased as Curves is currently working for me, but, it really does help with motivation. Also, can't be Boards for nutrition advice!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Sounds like an awful lot of money to be told by some self appointed expert that you need to eat less and exercise more. None of which they activley participate in or help with much. The gentleman who said he was put on a 1000 cal a day is lucky he didn't do himself harm from such silly low energy intakes.

A good trainer and nutritionist should provide a personally tailored solution for you with guided exercise and meals to fit into your life. There is so much better out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you are the sort of person who would go to the gym, then yes, a good trainer is a much better investment. But it seems to me that a lot of the people who go to Motivation would otherwise just go to Weight Watchers or stay in front of the television.

Having someone ask you about your week, in detail, can be an incentive to eat better and exercise more.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Louise83 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I have been trying to find out info on all my options to lose weight and as a busy new mother who is planning to get even busier when I return to work i just don't think the motivation diets are 4 me. It is very expensive and very strict! On a Friday night I need to relax and have a glass of wine and there doesn’t seem to be room 4 this.

I was also looking up ww and unislim and i loved the idea of free foods in unislim. It is a list of foods you can eat and eat which would be great for snacking. It also shows me how to earn treats so I can get that glass of wine on a Friday:D

Has any1 gone to a unislim class? Is it similar to a ww class? Reading about everyone else’s weight lose stories here is making me feel hopeful that I can do it

Any feedback would be great ;)

L

Unislim is very very similar to WW - alomst identical. The classes are fewer and farther between though I think. It's all down to the leader of the class and how you get along with them. One fault I see is that you cant really try before you buy. What would be great though is if you can buddy up and go together with a friend. There is no rocket science involved in what they teach, the classes are purely for motivation. buying the books and doing it at home (with the help of a friend) might even suit you better as a new mum?

by the way, whatever way you choose you can more than certainly do it - you can lose that weight so choose a way and look forward to it.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 anjisbuild

A cousin of mine lost 7 stone on Motivation, her husband lost 12stone - they have never been happier and say that they understand food more now than ever - my sister never went to the clinic but followed eating plan and bought protein bars on-line to eat twice a day and she lost 3 stone, my mom followed suit doing the same and lost over 3 stone - little sister down 10lbs and Im starting today...I think its incredible and its not about tiny meals - you eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day but you have to include protein in everything you eat for muscle protection - my mom and sister say they often dont have time to eat as myuch as they are supposed to.....no affiliations with the clinic, just heard nothing but good about it. Ill put it to the test myself now...want to shift a stone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I did it a few years back. 600 euros it cost. I lost a stone in about 4 weeks, but after that, nothing. The diet was very restrictive and I was starving. I am a person with fantastic willpower when I get into the zone, but could not hack that.

They were also trying to look at why I ate, as if it had to be something in my childhood, or issues, etc. There are no issues, I ate the wrong foods at the wrong time, drank too much and was lazy with regard to exercise. There was nothing more sinister than that.

I paid for 20 weeks and think I went for about 6, so all that money gone down the drain!!!

Once I stopped the weight went back on and more.

Certainly Weight Watchers or Slimming World or Unislim are far cheaper and are easier to sustain, though the crux of it is, healthy diet and plenty of exercise wins out every time.

I dont know how people could say they had loads of food to eat with the motivation diet, that is just so not true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 phyffe

Hi, I just joined motivation there last week. Just wondering how did you get on...??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

I am a recent graduate...lost 10kgs in about 10 weeks, but could not shift anymore after that. with hind sight, I should have attended a qualified dietician/nutritionist and joined a gym, it would have been much cheaper. Very hard to get info from these people without joining. Costs over 700 euro for the 20 week course, which is for initial 45min consultation, and weekly 15min meeting thereafter, AFTER you have payed 50%, they tell you that you need to buy (from them) protein snack/meal replacements, three types for daily use, i.e. snack bar, soup, soya nuts, these are all 15euro per pack and you need 3 packs per week, this equates to 900 QUID!!! Thers is more, you need to purchase a book and three CD's again at the nice round figure of 15 euro each, plus city centre parking and petrol, and also you have to buy calcium tabs and other supplements, guess how much? yeah 15 euro each. I reckon thisn cost me well over 1500 euro!! I am sure it works for some, especially if you adhere rigidly to the diet and exercise plan, but portion allowance is VERY small and despite what they told me, I was hungry. At the final consultation I was attended to by a person In had never met in the entire 20 weeks, and w3as more or less told "sorry it did not really work out for you..see ya"

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

Seeing the sums of money being discussed here just raises big alarm bells with me. All the advice you need on losing weight is available for free on these very forums :) I understand the motivation to weigh in weekly. When I started losing weight, I did it with my mum. We set Monday evening as weigh in day and I'd go to her house every Monday to weigh. No excuses. I found that very helpful.

Two people I know went to Motivation. They both lost huge weight. They both spent huge money. One has kept it off, with constant vigilance. The other one has put all of the weight back on. I think if you're going to do this program, then spend some serious time learning about nutrition (not just what the Motivation coaches tell you) and be ready to live that way from the day you finish with the Motivation clinic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

My wife lost a load of weight a while back with them. Some of it went back on. She just signed up again for 10 weeks and told me after the fact....
    Her reasoning is that she needs someone to keep an eye on her and eh motivate her..
    It's not the basis for a good marriage if I tell her not to eat that or suggest a run or walk etc.

I'm not one to judge either as I am comfortable with being overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Personally i went the eat normal portions of healty food with some homemade ww style tracking AND excersise route and went from 17st3 to 13st8 in 8months. Rhe christmas and the cold weather came along and i gave up on the excersise and piled a stone back on.

Back excersising now and weight id falling off again!

Ps: my exsercise was 30-40min walk/run 2 eves a week and a 30min walk at lunch in work. Later on i added cycling....You dont have to go mad

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Reginak

Hi,
    Can anyone please help. I am thinking of signing up to a motivation weight management clinic. I have tried every diet under the sun. I just don't seem to have the willpower to see them through .. All I need to lose is 2 stone. I have gym membership, so I would be working out aswell. I am just wondering if anyone has any recent success stories .. Is there any way that you can do it and not buy the protein bars that they say that you need..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Reginak wrote: »
    I have tried every diet under the sun.

This is what your problem is not a lack of motivation.
    Change some of your habits but keep it something that you can see yourself doing on a long term basis. You can start small and gradually get more into a better lifestyle, just don't try x or y diet.

You can use boards to help, read the threads and if you need to ask questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Frankieg84

Quite frankly I would not recommend motivation clinics. It's all very restrictive and the motivation book they give you to read is all a bit to Jeremy Kyle for my liking. You do a questionnaire every month to see how your thinking has changed and then that oddly enough recommends more CDs and books that can be purchased from there. Far too expensive for what it is and I didn't find the people all that helpful. Yes they did try to motivate you alright but at the same time, it wasn't anything that you wouldn't say to yourself when you're having a good day.

If I were you and you want to do it on the cheap, google some good motivational weight loss quotes or something like that and stick them inside the presses in the kitchen or in the fridge.

If you do want to spend money on getting motivation then I couldn't recommend this place highly enough - http://www.sffitnesscamps.com/

3 50 min exercise classes a week with the option of a 4th on Saturday mornings as well if you want to go. John and the guys are all exceptionally helpful and the exercise is brilliant. Works every inch of your body so that even if you don't make huge changes to your diet (which John also helps out with) you still notice yourself toning up and looking slimmer.

Advertisement