Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options
1495051525355»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

Contacted Citizens Information and got no where. They said is wasn't a thing so I emailed them the link you provided and they're to get back to me. I have little hope they will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Don't give up at the first hurdle.

It might be a long shot but it's worth going a bit further.

There is quite a lot of money there that your dad was entitled to but did not receive.

I think this is the crucial part of the link -

"In certain circumstances a backdate may be made for a period in excess of six months.

The period may be extended where the delay in making the claim is due to:

• incorrect information given by the department OR
    • the person being so incapacitated that she or he was unable to pursue the claim OR
    • a force majeure

For more detailed information on how these are defined, please go to Claims and Late Claims guidelines."

Without knowing why your dad didn't follow up on his claim when he turned 70 I can't say whether he has a case and the information doesn't make it clear what exactly can extend the period. It doesn't close the door completely though.

If you draw a blank with CI try a local councillor or TD. Ask around who is good at this sort of problem in your area. Some of them have a very good knowledge of these matters and good connections.

Even if you fail at the end of the day you and your dad will know you did your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭New2Dubs

My licence is up end of March.

My understanding is €160 covers a year contract, and if I move outside of Ireland within that year, I’m not part-refunded and required to pay full amount.

I’m planning a move. Like many posters, I don’t watch anything on RTE and feel this licence is a forced tax.

I’m unhappy paying for a full year & wondered how quickly not renewing licence might catch up with me.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Pay by direct debit and cancel the dd when you leave country?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭geographica

When you cancel a DD, and they send you a letter officially telling you you are no longer licensed as the DD mandate was rejected, what’s the next stages from an post?

do they send subsequent warning letters threatening court action? If so how many?

are there arrears for the months you’ve not paid or do you just pick up the DD From when you agree to start paying it again?

• Advertisement

Anyone?

Must be all law abiding posters here 🙂

I am and have a licence so I don't know the exact steps that will be taken in your case.

Probably a safe assumption that you will be hearing from them.

From what others have posted previously it seems that if you buy a licence the problem goes away.

And no “arrears”?

tks for reply

If you still have a TV and haven't filled out the statutory declaration saying you don't have one they will assume that you owe for the missing months.

This link explains it.

Can’t see where it refers to arrears though

• Advertisement

It's there highlighted.

Your new licence dates from the date your last licence expired.

In your case I guess that was when you cancelled the DD.

So one could fill in the form and submit it and “buy” a tv by the time an inspector comes around then just buy a new licence

You are kidding right ?

You want to make a statutory declaration that you have no TV and wait till an inspector comes and finds you have one.

You know what they say about playing stupid games.

Seriously though if you want to avoid trouble for sure either get rid of the telly or buy a licence.

I don’t actually but how and ever, thanks for the links

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

No. You'll probably be doubly hammered in court. Once for not having a licence and then, and far more serious, for having made a false statutory declaration.

If it gets to court that is

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Geographica, can you please drop this now, making a knowingly false statutory declaration is not a “game” - it’s a criminal offence and the discussion or advocacy of criminal activity on this forum is not permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Bronco Bullfrog

Hello

Anyone know what is the situation with renewing a TV licence that has expired over a year ago? The PIN number that goes with the reminder letter is no longer valid, so cannot renew online.

I have been out of the country and this got forgotten about. TV Licence expired June 2022. Is there such things as "arrears" with regard to TV Licence? Can't find anything about it on the TV licencing website

Seems a licence can be renewed one month before expiry or within 12 months after expiry of the previous license. (As per website below).

A Television Licence is deemed to be granted by way of renewal of a previous licence where the licence a) is granted to the person for which the previous licence was granted, b) relates to the same specified place to which the previous licence related and is granted within one month before or within 12 months after the expiration of the previous licence.

Would I have to somehow reapply for licence again? Thanks.

First Time Licence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

@Bronco Bullfrog Just apply online as a first time license. A first time licence is any is every licence not granted by way of renewal.

The license is valid from the date issued until the end of the eleventh month after the month the licence is issued in so it is best to apply at the start of a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Just looking for advice on a Tv Licence , My father passed away last August was over 70 so he got free Tv Licence, while i lived with him the renewal was up in November and got a letter that the Address is not covered by a televison licence,

What i want to know is when paying online has three options do i Renew the licence, or First Time Licence, or Change Personal Details

Appreciate your help thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭gipi

If it were me, I'd select first time licence. You haven't bought one before, and the previous licence was linked to your late father.

Yes that's the right option.

Sorry for your trouble OP.

There is no annual renewal date for the free licence.

It's part of the Household Benefits Package and remains in place as long as the holder is entitled to the Household Benefits Package or passes away.

You can't renew that licence or change the personal details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

Thanks Guys , just one more question if i buy tomorrow it starts then from that date Annually, what way does it work when im 70 , in May 2028 do i still have to pay the Annual fee thats really only for 4 months ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

As far as I know it starts from the first of the month you buy it or it used to. Even if you rocked up on Jan 31st it would expire the following Jan1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

I stiil haven't received a TV Licence reminder and haven't got a clue what my pin number ie etc so cant pay it online.

I phoned them during the second week in January and was advised a letter woulkd be sent in a week or two. Still nothing.; is there a delay with letters being sent out?

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Chauncey Gardner

Edit: Second posted in error. Deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement