Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭monster1

I received a letter of legal proceedings today, saying licence has to be paid ten days from date on letter, which was the 10th, 9 days ago!

There is no TV here at all. So they didn't find me in possession of a TV, which is annoying.

Do I just fill out the declaration form and email it?

I have a computer monitor, no tuner whatsoever, and definitely not visible unless they came into my bedroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Does someone with an old CRT TV not capable of get saorview, and a sat box to uk freesat need a tv licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Yes because the tv in conjunction with other equipment is capable of receiving broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

thanks, that's what i thought i was reading over the last few pages of this thread, just to confirm, it can't receive any irish channel, but its just the fact that it can receive any broadcast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

just to confirm, it can't receive any irish channel, but its just the fact that it can receive any broadcast?

It is irrelevant, the old analogue CRT on its own has a tuner so on its own would require a TV license. It is capable of receiving and displaying a broadcast, that there is no analogue broadcast to receive is neither here nor there.

• Advertisement

Sorry I forgot about that little anomaly in the legislation.

Tough to think you could be in trouble for having one without a licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I object to Ryan Tubridy being paid 500k a year.

Why should I pay the TV Licence?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭StevenToast

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

It's the law to pay the TV licence. Public service broadcasting is vital, and without the TV licence we'd be a much poorer society. You might say you don't watch RTÉ, but I'd be astounded if you could find anyone who doesn't use some RTÉ service (radio/TV/online) at some point. Plus the whole idea is that it means that RTÉ can produce content that might not be commercially viable. Look at the likes of the soccer last night - you could argue that the commercial viability of covering women's soccer wasn't there, but the TV licence allowed for that.

Yes Tubridy gets paid a lot, but in the grand scheme of things whether he gets paid that or not doesn't actually affect the TV licence charge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

I don’t use any of RTEs services, the fee is absolutely ridiculous. A fee of 60-100 I could just about live it, even though it’s literally throwing money away for a person that doesn’t use the service, however 160 euro is obscene and pure greed on RTEs behalf.

I can’t get RTE etc on my TV, without a saor view box, which I do not own. So maybe that should be the question, do you own a saor view box? I also don’t have a subscription to virgin or any other TV provider, why is that not a question?

and just to add, I do have a TV license.. was forced to get one last week by the wife as she opened the door to the inspector.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

1.Do you own a TV? Yes/no

2.Do you own a Saor view box? Yes/no

3.Do you have a subscription to a TV service, virgin media etc? Yes/no

if you answer no to points 2/3 above you can not get RTE etc…. Unless you’re doing it some other way which is a different discussion altogether.

Reminder about licence fee: we all pay to get public service broadcasting, not to get an individualised subscription specific to yourself. Greater good and all that.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Indeed and the only relevant question of the three posted above is the first one. It’s thinking like that though that has the notion of a subscription BBC put about in the U.K. But that would totally change the nature of the BBC; it would have to become more Sky than Sky to compete for subs. In that brave new world there would be no room for things that don’t attract paying subscribers like Radio 3, Radio 4, Newsnight, BBC Four etc. Likewise you shouldn’t be thinking that a subscription based RTE would be running RnaG or Lyric FM, or the RTECO, or even RTEjr. It would be a firm refocus on the activities that would generate the most subscribers and savage cuts to everything else.

The Tories want to do away with public service broadcasting by privatising C4 and undermining the BBC but there is no reason for us to follow suit.

IMO we should do away with the licence and fund public service broadcasting from general taxation treating it as a public good.

Stop all the nonsense of chasing around trying to collect licenses and concentrate on building a public broadcasting service that serves the needs of our population and the diaspora.

Funding from general taxation puts a risk that if RTE go against the government, the government could cut the money that goes to RTE.

What would be better would be to include the licence fee as part of a household charge with the electricity bills. Would get rid of avoidance easily...

The danger of government interference is an issue but with the right funding structures put in place it could be avoided.

A set amount tied to inflation administered by an independent body could be the answer.

Sticking it on ESB bills would perpetuate the arguments we have now about people not watching being billed.

By spreading the cost over all taxation that grievance would be greatly reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭taylor3

I renewed mine last week reluctantly I might add. Reason being I don't watch RTE, the last time I tuned into RTE to watch a programme was Love/Hate. I don't watch the Late Late including the Toy Show. I think it's completely outdated and something else should replace it. I pay cable, Netflix etc; because I use their service but No, not RTE yet I'm forced to pay them it's so frustrating. It's like paying Bord G'ais when I don't use Gas. Very wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Tommie Gorman retired recently on a defined benefit pension. Any wonder they need a license fee.

You will find that the government uses our taxes to fund all sorts of things that you don't use.

I don't know your interests but think of the National Museums, National Concert Hall, all the various sporting bodies etc.

They do this because they consider it is in the public interest.

A lot of people people think having a publicly funded TV and radios service falls into that category.

Think about Irish news, current affairs, culture, music, sport etc. You won't get that on Netflix/cable.

Your idea about replacing RTE is valid and a possible option but it would still need to be funded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Funding from general taxation means there is also the risk of RTE currying favour with the government to get more money \ being bought off to give them an easy ride. It cuts both ways.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

So if you had a TV licence, got rid of the TV, got a Statutory Declaration letter from them to say you've no TV, complete and send off that letter, what happens next if they call to see if you've no TV.

If you don't want anyone entering your home, they can't gain access without you inviting them in to have a look around, right? What's this I hear about them being able to come in if they're accompanied by a "permitted person"? Is that a Garda with a search warrant?

Does anyone know the exact legal position on this, including a link to back up what they claim?

Section 146, paragraph 3, of the Broadcasting Act 2009 seems to suggest that they can come in:

(3) An officer of an issuing agent may enter at any reasonable time any premises or specified place for the purposes of ascertaining whether there is a television set there and a television licence is for the time being in force in respect of the premises or specified place authorising the keeping of a television set at the premises or specified place.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭flesheatingbug

So its that time of year again where I get bombarded with tv licence letters and I eventually, reluctantly pay it. I hate it so much. I always look out for ways for not paying for a service I don't use, it's ridiculous. I learnt a couple of years ago that my father, now 84, was paying for the licence until the age of about 81. That's when I found out he didn't have to pay for it since he was 70. My question is, is there any he can get the money back for those years, that's approximately €1760. Any way to screw those bastards.

Sorry to hear about your father's problem.

There are some circumstances under which he may get some refund outlined here.

You will also notice that he has missed out on a much more substantial sum in electricity/gas allowances.

Just a bit of advice, there are no public servants who will be trying to deprive your father of any refund he is due.

They will just apply the rules as laid out in the legislation.

thanks for that, ya became aware of the electricity too at the same time. The TV licence pisses me off more as its a service people should only pay for if the use RTE which i don't. He does, but anyway to screw them over will be a win. Of course there are no public servants block it, but they don't go out of their way to inform people either. Christ i hate government websites (no links to anything). I'll have a go at emailing householdbenefits@welfare.ie and see what what happens

You're welcome.

If you need any further advice you could contact Citizens Information or a local politician.

As for the licence I believe it's an outdated way of paying for Public Broadcasting.

Unfortunately we seem to be stuck with it.

TBH they won't miss the 1760e but I'm sure your dad would like it back.

Reminder: if you don't use rte and your father does, and we move to a model where you only pay for what you use, then the rte that your father enjoys is dead and gone.

I'm ok with that, silly argument. You want people to pay for a service that they don't use so that the people who do use it and pay for it still have it? Also he barely uses it, he mostly watches sky sports. Can you pay my mortgage too, thanks

That's not a silly argument, it's an argument for public service broadcasting. Broadcasting for the public. If they had to rely on just subscribers rte would be dead.

• Advertisement

in the words of James T. Kirk , Let them die. It's not an essential service. It only provides entertainment. How many channels have come and gone over the decades. And if it's just for Public Service announcements then they could easily cut the budget, fire some of the higher paid staff and stop showing films than people can get by other means. It has become irrelevant in the last decade or more, we don't need it and we don't want to pay for it.

Advertisement