Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOMEN Cage fighters on BBC.

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Roper wrote: »
    Are you a real person or some debate generating robot boards have planted in the system?

If *topic* THEN *disagree* OR *spout pro wrestling*= annoyance

Stop. K1 have been having MMA shows for donkey's years. Just stop.

K1 is primarily a kick boxing promotion I know they have been running MMA shows for years.

MMA in terms of popularity in Japan was a fad sorry dude. It is only an annoyance if you let it be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

have to disagree there, i think the Japanesse treat their fighters with a lot more respect than the Europeans or Americans.

What do you mean by this? Like respect is a fairly ambiguous term, I've no idea what you actually mean. Maybe you've been reading too many Rickson Gracie interviews.

I'm not even disagreeing with you. The Japanese look as good as everyone else at treating their fighters to me. I mean, it's really only in Japan you'd have two guys fighting with a weight mismatch of over 50lbs, only in Japan you'd get a guy with 20 fights fighting a debutant, only really in Japan you'll get people who indiscreetly use steroids (debatable).

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭wingnut4

was i the only one that though lisas trainer/husband was abit too rough when she lost? Or is the way most coaches are...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

What do you mean by this? Like respect is a fairly ambiguous term, I've no idea what you actually mean. Maybe you've been reading too many Rickson Gracie interviews.

I'm not even disagreeing with you. The Japanese look as good as everyone else at treating their fighters to me. I mean, it's really only in Japan you'd have two guys fighting with a weight mismatch of over 50lbs, only in Japan you'd get a guy with 20 fights fighting a debutant, only really in Japan you'll get people who indiscreetly use steroids (debatable).

as i already said i retracted said statement, i was reading 2 different posts on 2 different forums and combined my opinions into one post, what i said is completly irrelevant to the discussion taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

what i said is completly irrelevant to the discussion taking place.

LOL:)

Sounds like most days in our office!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would argue that it would be seen as important for promoters to educate the public away from the term "Cage Fighting"

For all the reasons mentioned already.

It negates the short term gain of getting a few brain deads looking for blood versus a better class of public attending the event.

It is primarily seen as a blue collar sport. Boxing managed to get rid of that sort of tag no reason why that can't happen in MMA circles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

I think that it's hard to get away from the term cage fighting when the fights take place in a cage, perhaps we should do away the cage aspect and then you can be called ring fighters!

I'm just playing devils advocate here btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Jason Mc

I would also point out that as a coach lets just say "little johnny" goes home and says to his mummy.

"Mum can I go down and train at Evolve, they do MMA?" He may get a very different reaction than.

"Mum can I go down and train at Evolve, they do Cage Fighting?"

We need these little johnny's joining the clubs to fight at the shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Jason Mc wrote: »
    I would also point out that as a coach lets just say "little johnny" goes home and says to his mummy.

"Mum can I go down and train at Evolve, they do MMA?" He may get a very different reaction than.

"Mum can I go down and train at Evolve, they do Cage Fighting?"

We need these little johnny's joining the clubs to fight at the shows.
    I'd imagine if people want to train the sport they'd know it's mma not cage fighting.

I got asked if I was a cage wrestler at the weekend, it made me think of the fake wrasslin!

Most people's frame of reference still seems to be that episode of Friends with Tank Abbot and Jon Favero:

• Advertisement

And we are BACK

Finally watched this online bar all the aggro with the first couple at the beginning I really enjoyed it. Nice character study of some of the fighters and really well produced.

Advertisement