Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WOMEN Cage fighters on BBC.

Options
  • 10-01-2010 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hey people, There is a prog on BBC 4 Sky this Thursday 14th Jan, at 10pm about women cage fighters. Just thot Id let ya know,:).

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

BBC 4?

I can only imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

This is the show where they follow Rosi Sexton and Lisa Higo to the states. I'm interested to see the angle they take as we are getting alot if press interest ref Amanda English vs Aisling McLarnon at Cage Contender in Febuary.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,384 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

they are MIXED MARTIAL ARTISTS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

callaway92 wrote: »

Yeah forget about the mainstream media ever using that term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

callaway92 wrote: »

I never really got this..

Why are people so touchy about the expression 'cage fighters' ?
    bit of a stupid thing to get riled up about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

SV wrote: »
    I never really got this..

Why are people so touchy about the expression 'cage fighters' ?
    bit of a stupid thing to get riled up about

its a term used to make it sound viscious, if boxers boxed in a cage its still boxing but just sounds worse saying cage fighting.

if they called boxers ring fighters then it would be fair enough and would make sense to call mma fighters who fight in a cage cage fighters.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Plus fights aren't always contested in a cage so it's also inaccurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Richie_Gorey

cowzerp wrote: »
    its a term used to make it sound viscious, if boxers boxed in a cage its still boxing but just sounds worse saying cage fighting.

if they called boxers ring fighters then it would be fair enough and would make sense to call mma fighters who fight in a cage cage fighters.

I've actually been called a cage boxer quite a few times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭markfightie

Was quite a good show, honest and not trying to make it look bad or brutal.

Also you all get too pissy about being called cage fighters, you fight in a cage, nobody in the general public knows what a mixed martial artist is, nor do they care, they want to see guys/girls in a CAGE who are FIGHTing..

terms like human cock fighting etc i can see why you might get upset by these

please feel free to lambast me with criticism

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Also you all get too pissy about being called cage fighters, you fight in a cage, nobody in the general public knows what a mixed martial artist is, nor do they care, they want to see guys/girls in a CAGE who are FIGHTing..
    No, the general (BBC4 watching) public don't want to see people who FIGHT in a CAGE, they want to sit in their armchairs and give out about people who are CAGEFIGHTERS. People might come to a show or two to yell "stop hugging him" and "knock his head off" but I don't think they keep coming. The actual MMA watching (and show attending) public don't go to watch Cage Fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

As usual Rosie came off really well. Lisa and her trainers did too. A few of the fans though came across as the usual stereotypes though. Like the redneck photographer. Did a great job of showing the training that the fighters have to go through.

Roper wrote: »
    No, the general (BBC4 watching) public don't want to see people who FIGHT in a CAGE, they want to sit in their armchairs and give out about people who are CAGEFIGHTERS. People might come to a show or two to yell "stop hugging him" and "knock his head off" but I don't think they keep coming. The actual MMA watching (and show attending) public don't go to watch Cage Fighting.

+1

Your thinking very localised ie: the couple of hundred irish people who goto local shows, im talking about the tens of thousands who attend a mainstream event ie; UFC/Strikeforce, you think these guys are going to watch "Mixed Martial Artists" .... i dont think so...... they are going to watch "CAGE FIGHTERS"

fightie wrote: »
    +1

same to you

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Your thinking very localised ie: the couple of hundred irish people who goto local shows, im talking about the tens of thousands who attend a mainstream event ie; UFC/Strikeforce, you think these guys are going to watch "Mixed Martial Artists" .... i dont think so...... they are going to watch "CAGE FIGHTERS"

Mark some of the thousands will be going to see cage fighting! but they will not be the regular fans, the regular fans will be the ones that look at it as mixed martial arts as there the educated fans who actually support the sport..

As the sport becomes more normal, mainstream, recognised whatever then the people who go to see viscious cage fighting will dissapear and we'll be left with real fans and occasional 1st timers too.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

What did the 80,000 people in the Sapporo dome go to see? They'd have been awful dissapointed if they were looking for cage fighting.

The cage is by and large a US creation. Dream, Pride, Shooto, Bodog. I rest on your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭je suis awesome

completely different. japan has a culture of mma, for many(in ireland) its just the latest fad.

Okay, lets call it cagefighting then.

yey! i win ;)

completely different. japan has a culture of mma, for many(in ireland) its just the latest fad.

It was a fad in Japan

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    It was a fad in Japan

cage fighting or mixed martial arts? :)

We could go round in circles, like dougal, its 2 different names for the same thing.

people involved in martial arts goto watch "mixed martial arts events", the general public who know nothing about the actual arts theselves, but get entertainment from watching 2 very skilled athletes fght in a cage call it "cage fighting"..... they are still at the same event.

We could go round in circles, like dougal, its 2 different names for the same thing.

people involved in martial arts goto watch "mixed martial arts events", the general public who know nothing about the actual arts theselves, but get entertainment from watching 2 very skilled athletes fght in a cage call it "cage fighting"..... they are still at the same event.

MMA as a part of the Japanese pop culture

have to disagree there, i think the Japanesse treat their fighters with a lot more respect than the Europeans or Americans.

Worth noting in Ireland about 70% of people go to watch family and friends regardless of what its called

have to disagree there, i think the Japanesse treat their fighters with a lot more respect than the Europeans or Americans.

You are going all over the shop in what you are talking about here, it is all very confusing.

In terms of popularity MMA in Japan was a fad which ended in the mid 2000s. Clear?

I wasnt talking about respect.

misread your statement, i therefore retract mine.

Dream and K1, thousands watching it, what a fad.

Why do I even answer on here? I'm just irritating myself.

Mark you have a point, but my point is better and I'm better looking.

Dream and K1, thousands watching it, what a fad.

Why do I even answer on here? I'm just irritating myself.

Mark you have a point, but my point is better and I'm better looking.

Firstly it would be millions not thousands first off and K1 is MMA now?

Look at the ratings and the amount of merchandise sold today compared to 10 years ago. Yes MMA is still popular in Japan but it isnt to the degree what it was during the peak of PRIDE.

Japan in general is known as a culture of fads. I dont see the issue here.

Are you a real person or some debate generating robot boards have planted in the system?

If *topic* THEN *disagree* OR *spout pro wrestling*= annoyance

Stop. K1 have been having MMA shows for donkey's years. Just stop.

• Advertisement

hes winding you like a clock Roper :)

Also, your full of non-sense, look at your post regarding you being better looking than me :)

Advertisement