Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if your boiler has failed or your pipes have frozen!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

No water here either, maynooth beaufield estate. Anyone else in the area out?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭burger1979

hot water tap in the kitchen is gone, the only to go in the house, not a drip coming out. no leaks at present thanks god but if there were then a big job to replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No water again.... thankfully I have plenty set by...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

rolion wrote: »
    Hi,new boiler installed 2 months ago...is stopping itself with F4 error on screen.
    Checked manual,it looks that is not enough gas signal / presure at the input and the sensor won't start the system !
    Anyone having issues with the gas pressure over here in D15 !?
    Temp outside around -8" ! !

Lads,i've fix it !!!
    The new condensing boilers have an outside pipe for condesing water that is flowing outside...that pipe frozed on me,i've took off the cable from inside boiler and put it in to a big container on the kitchen top and ...voila !! i have heat up to 60" from 9" !!!
    No more errors either !!Spred the word...
    Thank God !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Lads,i've fix it !!!
    The new condensing boilers have an outside pipe for condesing water that is flowing outside...that pipe frozed on me,i've took off the cable from inside boiler and put it in to a big container on the kitchen top and ...voila !! i have heat up to 60" from 9" !!!
    Thank God !!!

Well done.... ;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

Bust boiler here too :(

My Sime boiler's pilot light is gone out. Can't get it relit....

Can anyone advise, I still have running water in the house.....

Whats all this pressure business, I see a dial but no button/controls to change it and don't know what the pressure is supposed to be....

burger1979 wrote: »
    hot water tap in the kitchen is gone, the only to go in the house, not a drip coming out. no leaks at present thanks god but if there were then a big job to replace.

Is that caused by the tank in the attic freezing? I was up in the attic yesterday was only 1c up there :eek:
    Have a heater up there since!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Lads,i've fix it !!!
    Thank God !!!

Hey Rolion, is that a plastic pipe that leads to an outside drain. I'm getting the same error message on a Baxi megaflo boiler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I've heard that leaving the attic door/hatch slightly ajar can help prevent the pipes from freezing over. At the expense of heat in the rest of the house, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

RayM wrote: »
    I've heard that leaving the attic door/hatch slightly ajar can help prevent the pipes from freezing over. At the expense of heat in the rest of the house, of course...

Was thinking of doing that myself tonight... I might close the kids bedroom doors and do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Maglight wrote: »
    Hey Rolion, is that a plastic pipe that leads to an outside drain. I'm getting the same error message on a Baxi megaflo boiler

Quoting my friend that installed the boiler for me...i had two options:

1.under the boiler,you have a flexible pipe like the one from wash machine.take it out off the wall nicely and let the water to go on a container or big pot.then reset your boiler.don;t forget to check the level over night.When freezing cold gone,put it back in the connector to outside pipe,in the wall...

2.cut the pipe outside if is sitting horizontally and /or get some hot water over to get the water flowing again...more than likely froze and blocked the flow of the condensing water system.

i choosed 1st one...and F4 error is gone,back to normal !
    Thanks to Radu...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I have been doing this for the last few days, works a treat - but as you indicated you will loose a lot of heat from downstairs in the house.

Even having a high wattage bulb in the attic, such as a 200W bulb will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Also, make sure that there is no insulation under the water tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Argh! Have just spent the last two hours trying to clear the paths outside to find our stopcock as the water has stopped. Snow and ice making it really difficult. And the awful thing is that since the neighbours aren't in we don't even know if finding the stopcock will even work as it could be our own pipe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

I've been posting in Cork section after floods to give plumbing advice / help, now moved into DIY section to help out with frost problems, tons of problems daily, hard to keep up with all posts, anyone stuck looking for help or advice, plenty of info and good folk in DIY section. If possible, scan over a few previous pages, might find the answers you need without posting.

All plumbing and heating systems in Ireland are designed on worst case -1 to -2 for a few days, we've been in the doubles for up to 3 weeks, our system cant withstand current conditions. A lot of problems can be saved if, 1 mains pipe lower in ground than building regs 300 mm, 2 cold water storage properly insulated, 3 heating system filled with an inhibitor, 4 proper working boiler frost stats fitted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I got lucky until today, but now my mains is frozen!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Two days ago I walked into the house to see water start gushing down from the attic. Thankfully I was home when it happened and got the mains turned off asap. Dining room floor got the worst of it and is starting to lift but sure that is what insurance is for.

What had happened was the mains pipe going to the smaller cistern in the attic got firzen and blew off from where it was attached. New pipe installed now and all is well. I even had the loft door open so heat could go up but it still froze...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NiamhL

Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice if possible? We have no cold water coming from our kitchen sink. There is cold water everywhere else in the house and I am thinking it has frozen due to the outside (garden tap) being frozen. They are directly opposite each other on either side of the back wall to the house. Is there anything I can do to get the kitchen tap to start working?

Many thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Washing machine which is in shed is kaput. Am I better off trying to defrost pipes or will I just leave it? Not an emergency or anything but the thoughts of leaving all the washing while my OH's sister and two toddlers stay here and pile up the washing while pregnant myself is not pleasing me too much! We have a tiny trickle of water so fill the bath for the cistern when we can each day. This sucks!

NiamhL wrote: »
    Hi All

Looking for a bit of advice if possible? We have no cold water coming from our kitchen sink. There is cold water everywhere else in the house and I am thinking it has frozen due to the outside (garden tap) being frozen. They are directly opposite each other on either side of the back wall to the house. Is there anything I can do to get the kitchen tap to start working?

Many thanks :)

Your mains leading into the house is most likely frozen, you will still get water in other taps if they are coming from your tanks in the attic. Be careful though, dont use up all the water in the tanks or you could have some air issues when the water returns. If you climb into the attic you can check how much water is left in the tanks. You could fill it manually with buckets of water to keep your toilets and central heating going.

• Advertisement

Thanks Sierra Oscar

I was hoping that wasnt what it was :(. But this is the first time in my life that we have had such a cold snap so am really unsure as to what to do to prevent frozen pipes ect....

Heres hoping it will thaw out today! Will it be ok to keep the heating on? We have a oil heating system.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I am into day six with no water now, luckily I had stocked up on bottled water, and even luckier I had a kind hearted neighbour who did not have his mains freeze, so I was able to get buckets of water to keep topping up the bath I filled and the tank in the attic so that I had water for the toilet etc.

Fingers crossed for a bit of a rise in temps early next week so that the pipes might get some movement in them:D

It is reading as -10 here at the moment in Limerick so nowt will improve today. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Mains gone here too. Probably frozen at the mains out the front - and those pipes are fairly deep down to prevent this sort of thing, in a normal winter.

Conserving the tank water now, back to 1940's living for a while I guess...

At least heating is working and is a closed system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

Advice Please.

Hot tap ,water not coming out,cold tap ok.Downstairs loo wont flush, upstairs loo is filling up again.Is it ok to have heating on.

NiamhL wrote: »
    Thanks Sierra Oscar

I was hoping that wasnt what it was :(. But this is the first time in my life that we have had such a cold snap so am really unsure as to what to do to prevent frozen pipes ect....

Heres hoping it will thaw out today! Will it be ok to keep the heating on? We have a oil heating system.

It should be ok for you to leave your central heating running, I know we are and our mains is currently frozen. The unit should cut out if the water level in the system falls in anycase.

As I said, you should keep an eye on your water tanks and top them up a little bit manually if they are running low . . . all you can really do is conserve water for now.
    holly1 wrote: »
    Advice Please.

Hot tap ,water not coming out,cold tap ok.Downstairs loo wont flush, upstairs loo is filling up again.Is it ok to have heating on.

Any chance you can get into your attic? If you can, check to see if any of your water tanks are frozen.

It should be ok for you to leave your central heating running, I know we are and our mains is currently frozen. The unit should cut out if the water level in the system falls in anycase.

As I said, you should keep an eye on your water tanks and top them up a little bit manually if they are running low . . . all you can really do is conserve water for now.

Any chance you can get into your attic? If you can, check to see if any of your water tanks are frozen.

Going to send himself up:),thanks Sierra Oscar.

Cheers Sierra Oscar

I will go up and have a look at the tank to see what level we are at.

Many thanks :D

Is it ok to leave the central heating on:confused:

holly1 wrote: »
    Is it ok to leave the central heating on:confused:

It should be ok, I asked a plumber mate of mine and he gave me the thumbs up to leave mine running even though the mains is frozen. The boiler unit should cut out if the water level in the system drops.

Lots of houses have a seperate min-water tank for the central heating system. If you are one and if you are sure that it has water in it then you should be ok regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cold water tap in kitchen is off, just went up into the attic to check the rest of the system, thats okay. Cherrymount Waterford.

Advertisement