Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if your boiler has failed or your pipes have frozen!

Options
  • 07-01-2010 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭

OK, so who else is suffering out there?

Our boiler seized up last night and wont start now. The plumber says we will have to wait for the 'thaw', whenever that will be. Lucky we have a wood stove so at least some heat.

Just wondering if this is getting widespread with the current temps. Down to -7c here now. I'd say our water pump will be next thing to fail...

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Plenty of houses in and around Castletroy in Limerick have had burst pipes with internal roofs down due to flooding. Most of them are student houses, un-occupied over the last two weeks with minimal heating on . . .

Lots of people around where I live have had their water tanks in the attic's freeze and some have also had some burst pipes.

As for the boiler . . . I thought you should have been still able to leave the unit running, it should cut out itself before any damage is done and in the meantime it will be thawing the pipes. Thats so long as your system is not low on water, which could be the case if feeder pipes into the system are frozen in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

mains water pipes frozen for bout 12days at this stage..least i have heat i suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Currently defrosting my milking parlour, tomorrow I have to defrost the water for an elderly neighbour.

I have one burst pipe outside but the water going to it then froze :pac: one way of fixing a leak.....

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

A Rat has eaten half way through one of the return pipes outside at the boiler. I have to replace the entire lenght & there is no guarantee he won't do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

Longboard wrote: »
    A Rat has eaten half way through one of the return pipes outside at the boiler. I have to replace the entire lenght & there is no guarantee he won't do it again.

Try replacing the qualplex with copper for the section rodents have access to. Note, copper should be used for at least the first metre from the boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread from Galway county started at Christmas
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055780269

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

Water has gone off in the past hour. In Carlow, anyone in the area experiencing the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yesterday I joined this club!

But thankfully the room it is in is not one I live in.. Heath Robinson plumbing here.... Not even telling the landlord until it thaws..

Today will rescue our stuff and box and stack it ..

Water has been frozen on and off for weeks; thankfully also I have isolatd the bathroom/immersion part of the system where the leak is and so still have the kitchen tap working when that too does not freeze; I use the water from the slow running tap there to manually fill the toilet cistern. And keep water stored always.

I had a rat chew through an internal pipe once in a different house; he at through plaster to keep his run open. So I filled that hole up with tin cans and that stopped him.

That and a rescue cat who fought and killed rats nobly.

No boiler here to break.. I rigged up a metal tray over the coal fire to boil water in and have a bottled gas cooker and super ser.

I can survive anything here I reckon...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yep; mine is frozen solid too ... ;)
    Min wrote: »
    Currently defrosting my milking parlour, tomorrow I have to defrost the water for an elderly neighbour.

I have one burst pipe outside but the water going to it then froze :pac: one way of fixing a leak.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

I know it is not on the same scale of inconvenience as a frozen or burst pipe, but my mop bucket, in which my mop is placed, is frozen rock hard solid. No mop for a while now. :o:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

A lot of my neighbours have frozen pipes, so far I have been lucky, keeping a trickle of water flowing "seems" to work but for how long?

An estate in Glanmire had its mains pipe frozen, it later transpired that during construction it had not been laid low enough!! Cowboys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pipes frozen most mornings, yesterday was first day they didn't thaw :(
    Don't expect them today either after -7 last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Ah the joy, we joined the "frozen pipes" club yesterday and because our heating is a boiler we can't run that either - its still working but we've been "advised" not to....we have a few electric heaters and hot water bottles, the old fashioned way. It was -7 this morning :eek:

We have a concrete back garden so defrosting is not an option for us, bring on the thaw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

external water tap burst during week. Thank god it was external.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

Had no water since christmas day but got it back a few days ago by using a blow torch on the footpath beside the main stop valve, then covering it with insulation over night. It took 3 days of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭RedB

Plenty of houses in and around Castletroy in Limerick have had burst pipes with internal roofs down due to flooding. Most of them are student houses, un-occupied over the last two weeks with minimal heating on.

Had my mains pipe freeze yesterday near Castletroy (Monaleen) also so trying to conserve what we have in the attic tank. Some neighbours have water so their mains might be lower in the ground and not frozen? The council say there's no issues with their mains. The house has been occupied so the internal pipes are ok but the external one must have frozen overnight as the air temp was -6 this morning. No washing machine as it must've been fed from mains and refuses to start.

I presume the only thing to do is to wait it out?
    Will the external pipe be burst when it thaws or could it be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭davehey79

Had no water Christmas eve night, Christmas day, St. Stephens day and half of the day after that. All was grand for a few days then lost it again this day week ago or possibly last Thursday evening can't remember which now. Also had a burst pipe in the shed where the washer and dryer are plumbed in but was only a plastic fitting so easily repaired. have an outside tap and water filtration system tank that has pipes plumbed down into the mains so reckon the frozen pipes are down there somewhere. Have been getting ballygowan watercooler drums filled and emptied into the tank in the attic so can have the heat on and fire lit as there is a back boiler and our jheating is through the tank too so no water in tank no heat!! Toilet is a bucket of water to flush job. Getting a heat lamp / cow shed lamp dont know the technical name on it and gonna leave it at the base of the pipes facing them see does it thaw them out at all. Not a nice thing to happen at all at all. In Longford by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Water into my washing machine froze this morning. Is this unusual - all the other water in the house is working fine though :confused:

RedB wrote: »

same question from me actually. will there be any problems with the waterpipe into the washing machine when it thaws out

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

My pipes have frozen. Even the hot water taps aren't running

does anyone know if it's safe to turn the boiler on with frozen pipes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭max_power

Got in at about 6 last night after walking for more than an hour for a taxi, went to get my lovely cold pint of water but no dice. Everything frozen, pipes burst this morning.

max_power wrote: »
    Got in at about 6 last night after walking for more than an hour for a taxi, went to get my lovely cold pint of water but no dice. Everything frozen, pipes burst this morning.

Oh Jeez, that is nasty. you have my sympathy.

The pipes going into my washing are frozen. My oven is beside the washing machine - i have the oven on for the past few hours to see can I help defrost the pipes.....

I am in an end house - so am very vulnerable for my pipes to freeze. I will have no qualms to keeping taps running, and everything possible to keep water running in my house.

Would it help at all if I put a quilt or something over the oil tank to try to prevent the oil tank from freezing. Temperatures are dropping down here to nearly -10 here at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

day two of frozen pipes here in maynooth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Oh Jeez, that is nasty. you have my sympathy.

The pipes going into my washing are frozen. My oven is beside the washing machine - i have the oven on for the past few hours to see can I help defrost the pipes.....

I am in an end house - so am very vulnerable for my pipes to freeze. I will have no qualms to keeping taps running, and everything possible to keep water running in my house.

Would it help at all if I put a quilt or something over the oil tank to try to prevent the oil tank from freezing. Temperatures are dropping down here to nearly -10 here at night.

Do not worry about yr oil tank, it has to get to -35 befor kero will start to freeze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

We've had no (oil) heating since Tuesday and what water was left in the tank ran out Wednesday. That coupled with the roads to our house (all steepish hills) being impassable we had to lock up the house, pack the dogs into van and head for the inlaws house til things thaw a bit.

I wouldn't mind but we're due our first baby next month and my 'nesting' instinct was just starting to kick in, I was cleaning the house like there was no tomorrow!
    I'm itching to get back home and tidy up so more but can't get near the house without borrowing the brother in laws Defender and risking the dodgy road conditions :(

I put our oil heating on a few nights ago and didn't cop til about 15 mins later when the rads were still icy that the heating hadn't been working.
    Could I possibly have wrecked our boiler? I'm really worried about that.
    Its a relatively new house/3 years old, do they have a system where they'll knock themselves off so idiots like me can't wreck them?:confused:
    Here's hoping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭sold

Christmas Day no Water!!, (and neighbours the same), 3 kids you don't want to know what the toilets turned out like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,new boiler installed 2 months ago...is stopping itself with F4 error on screen.
    Checked manual,it looks that is not enough gas signal / presure at the input and the sensor won't start the system !
    Anyone having issues with the gas pressure over here in D15 !?
    Temp outside around -8" ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭patneve

test

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

RedB wrote: »
    Had my mains pipe freeze yesterday near Castletroy (Monaleen) also so trying to conserve what we have in the attic tank. Some neighbours have water so their mains might be lower in the ground and not frozen? The council say there's no issues with their mains. The house has been occupied so the internal pipes are ok but the external one must have frozen overnight as the air temp was -6 this morning. No washing machine as it must've been fed from mains and refuses to start.

Well, I have visited a number of properties in Milford Grange & Elm Park and the mains water is working ok. Do you have any exposed piping for the mains leading into the house? Most likely the mains is frozen leading into your own house. If thats the case, there is not much you can do but wait for it to thaw out. You could always feed some buckets of water directing into your water tanks to keep your internal toilets and the likes fed if needs be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Frozen washing machine pipe here too, for the second time, happened at Christmas too, but thawed out fine by that evening as the sun was out, no chance of that now though. :(
    And im in the midlands, where we have had no real snow to speak of, but it seems worse is on its way, so im terrified that all the pipes are going to start freezin now, as its an old 1970's built bungalow im in, albeit newly renovated a few years ago, new heating put in, but im not sure what the insulation is like. :(

And we've only just moved home from the Middle East before Christmas, great timing....NOT!!:rolleyes:
    We are bleedin freezing!!!:D:D

Advertisement