Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post here if your boiler has failed or your pipes have frozen!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

BostonB wrote: »
    I would have thought all pipes would have thawed by now...

It depends how deep they are in the ground when its the mains in that froze. The deeper they are, the longer it takes them to freeze with the sub zero weather in the first place, but also the longer it may take them to thaw now.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

morgana wrote: »
    Our underground pipes were frozen and thaw happened about 3 hours ago :)

how long had they been frozen for?

I know of people frozen since last Thurs and still no thaw yet

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭battries not included

My pipes were frozen for the last week or so, just put the heating on now and hey it's WORKING! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭sillybird

No water here since last Sunday week. Just heard the tank filling in the attic - its was music to my ears!!! No pipe damage to be seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

We had no water for one week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Whats making me furious is the lack of information. Mayo CC are all on holiday and there's no update on their website. You see BBC NI and they're handing out free water. Went to several shops and all water sold out. Thank god for our one neighbour who is keeping us all going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

My electricity tripped the plugs in my house last night. Went around unplugging everything to find out what had tripped. Went to utility room and the boiler was pouring water out of it. I have switched off all the stop cocks but it is still pouring out of it. Any ideas please:(

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

Toliet is working now at last after 3 days of no water. The only problem now is the pipes which is frozen solid. I can't get water from the taps or shower since 3 days ago. At the moment, the sink basin showed some signs of little dripping water.

I have checked with Cork Co Co as no joy there re nothing from them at all

Should i call out for a plumber or patiently sit out to wait for the thaw to melt it.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,464 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

gonker wrote: »
    My electricity tripped the plugs in my house last night. Went around unplugging everything to find out what had tripped. Went to utility room and the boiler was pouring water out of it. I have switched off all the stop cocks but it is still pouring out of it. Any ideas please:(

Turn off your mains until you get a plumber out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Thanks did that too :D. Plumber came out 235euro but all up and working again.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DB1981

No water for just over a week now, same thing happened last year but apparently the whole of Portlaoise is out due to some issue with the reservoir......have no heating either, must be a leak in the system thats been made worse now that I've no mains water to top up the system with.......Anyone know a good, cheap plumber in the Portlaoise area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

One for owners of condensor boilers to watch out for: they usually have a small separate drain pipe to drain the condensate of the boiler. This pipe froze up with ice on our boiler on Christmas day and the boiler started grumbling and banging ominously. Once this pipe was cleared of the ice blocking it, about a litre of water poured out and the boiler ran perfectly since. I reckon not clearing this problem would have led to the boiler shutting down till.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

My radiators seem to have "popped", 2 tiny holes in the radiator with water seeping out, its stopped now but did a bit of damage considering how tiny the holes are. Is this normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Does anyone know if there are any restrictons in Roscommon? Just back in fronm day out and water gone again, water back yesterday after 3 days frozen. Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

flutegirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any restrictons in Roscommon? Just back in fronm day out and water gone again, water back yesterday after 3 days frozen. Thanks :)

Info on council website if anyone else is affected. Will last at least 24 hours...

df1985 wrote: »
    My radiators seem to have "popped", 2 tiny holes in the radiator with water seeping out, its stopped now but did a bit of damage considering how tiny the holes are. Is this normal?
    No, it's not, did the radiator actually freeze? That's a new radiator, unless you're good at welding.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Boiler went Christmas day morning, hasnt worked since but thankfully our weather has being so mild we have been lucky in a sense that it didnt happen during the cold spell. Gotta get that sorted soon tho.

Pipes only froze one night so we were handing out buckets of water to our neigbours for the duration of freezing weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

woken up by the sweet sweet sound of the mains tap running this morning (when the water supply was turned back on - our group scheme is managing to empty the resevoir ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

woken up by the sweet sweet sound of the mains tap running this morning (when the water supply was turned back on - our group scheme is managing to empty the resevoir ! )

I got that sounds on Monday night, much celebration ensued! We were without water for about a week. :(
    Took nearly 3days of +5 to 8c to thaw the underground pipes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

We've a condensation boiler. Water outlet out side the house freezes and has to be thawed with hot water to get it going again.
    me too find a hairdryer better as water will cool and freeze again. wonder how safe a hairdryer is outside though?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭WildOscar

Matt Simis wrote: »
    . B&Q sell Thermally Controlled plugs-in sockets (no need for frost stats and more serious wiring) for EUR36.
    how do they work? do they have to be wired into the electrical system or just plugged in?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

WildOscar wrote: »
    how do they work? do they have to be wired into the electrical system or just plugged in?

Just plugged in i would think, something like this i would suspect.

http://www.thelightworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=12&products_id=381

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Just plugged in i would think, something like this i would suspect.

http://www.thelightworks.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&manufacturers_id=12&products_id=381

Yep, like that with a slightly expanded range (0-40). Think they are EUR36 retail in B&Q, which looking at the internet price there, now seems ok.
    Can only find instore, not on B&Qs website though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

My neighbours house was flooded yesterday , a good inch or 2 of water all downstairs, they think it was the pipe leading to the shower as the wall at the back of the house so would of frozen the most the thawed the quickest ,

Luckily they dont live in there , they wer planning on doing it up to rent out.

He called some of the family over to help wit the clean up.
    We took up all the lino and underling downstairs , this was after sweeping the water out the back for a good hour and a half. Then we borrowed a water vacs . That got the last few puddles up , then we covered all downstiars with sheets and newpaper.
    They werent to bothered about it seeing as no1 lives there currently.
    And one of them said ... " ah, at least its an incentive to get the renovating started" ha

...Hopefully the oringinal good quality floor boards arent ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭dabestman1

Living in carlow, water went off this morning, happen to anyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Deaf student

dabestman1 wrote: »
    Living in carlow, water went off this morning, happen to anyone else...

Yeah it did allright to us when i thought tap water not running at all .. stilll frozen for a week. So I went out to town to get some stuff and came back home... saw the tap water running full flow as kitchen floor was all flooded. So I had to mop up all as it took a long while to get it cleaned and dry. But i am quite happy that i have the water up and running now where i can make a hot brew.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Hi all...just wondering what shud I do..my attic tank wouldnt stop filling this morning, was working fine when I went to bed last nite (luckily the overflow pipe saved the day so no flooding)....I drained the tank a bit using the cold tap in the bath....I have the mains switched off so its safe for the moment...do I need a new ballcock ??? I imagine I do...can I fit one myself ?? Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

Hi solerina, your ball cock may not be as boyant as it should be if it has water inside. This would result in the valve that should be shut off when the tank is closed not doing it's job. Here's a tread from a few years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57320433

hope it helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The bar from the valve to the ball could also be a little bent so its not closing the valve enough. To test if the valve itself is ok you could put mains back on and get up and physically lift the arm up and see will the valve stop the water. There could also be dirt or something in the valve and a few actuations by hand on and off might clear it. If manually lifting up the ball does not shut off the water then it needs the valve being replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The bar from the valve to the ball could also be a little bent so its not closing the valve enough. To test if the valve itself is ok you could put mains back on and get up and physically lift the arm up and see will the valve stop the water. There could also be dirt or something in the valve and a few actuations by hand on and off might clear it. If manually lifting up the ball does not shut off the water then it needs the valve being replaced.

Just to add it is very easy to replace the ballcock/valve. Cheap enough to replace as well, cost me less than a tenner a while back.

Advertisement