Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supply warning in Fingal/Garristown

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 blastamasta

Like some people said no water on Fernleigh drive from yesterday!!! Now I am affriad about my water pump as it is working all the time without the water and I dont know how to switch it off! Just great! I am going to tesco for some 5liters water packs :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The water section was completely empty bar the flavoured waters in Tesco in Roselawn around 9 last night!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Carpenterstown rd had water this morning ... I made sure my kettle is full :) ,,, we'll see what happens when we get back from work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's a tanker at Roselawn Shopping Centre providing water.

http://twitter.com/Fingalcoco

EMERGENCY WEATHER UPDATE AND INFORMATION - 12noon Tuesday 12th January

WATER SUPPLIES CRITICAL - TANKERS DEPLOYED
    We ask members of the public to bear with us as our staff deal with an extremely high volume of calls and respond to queries on disruption to water supplies throughout the day. Regular updates will be posted to our website as soon as they are available.

Water levels in reservoirs serving North Fingal/Balbriggan area and Malahide/Portmarnock have recovered and water supply is expected to return to these areas by lunchtime or early afternoon today Tuesday 12th January.
    Fingal County Council is mobilising water tankers and opening standpipes to other locations around the county still affected by disruption to their water supply due to low pressure and burst and broken pipes as ground thaws. We appreciate customers continuing patience as it may take until lunchtime to have all tankers fully loaded and in place. Tankers will remain in place until late evening.
    Tankers Locations are as follows:
    Castleknock -College Road alternating between Georgian Village Estate (entrance) and Laurel Lodge Estate (entrance) every 2 hours
    Hartstown Shopping Centre
    Alternating between Roselawn Shopping Centre & Carpenterstown Shopping Centre every 2 hours
    Balseskin Refugee Centre, St. Margarets, Co. Dublin (adjacent to Charlestown/Meakstown residents also)
    Stand Pipe Locations (manned by Council staff) are as follows:
    Balrothery Inn, Balrothery (south of Balbriggan)
    Garristown Village beside school
    Lanesborough Estate, Finglas, Dublin 11
    Emergency supplies are being sent to priority areas today. Tanker and standpipe locations will be reviewed on an ongoing basis depending on demand.
    Background
    As a result of record breaking peaks in water usage in recent days, reservoirs in the Fingal County Council area are at a critically low level. In order to recharge water storage and return to normal supply levels, Council Engineers are currently “throttling” water supplies across the whole county. Throttling means reducing the volume of water going into the network from the reservoir.
    The Council has allowed extra water into the public supply this morning to alleviate water shortages but water restrictions will have to continue until our reservoirs return to normal levels. Water tankers have been deployed today to worst affected areas.

Fingal County Council is urgently appealing to water consumers to conserve available water supplies as we do what we can to allow reservoirs to recharge. Supply restrictions will have to continue while levels remain low.
    Residents across Fingal are especially asked NOT TO LEAVE TAPS RUNNING as this wastes vast quantities of water
    Further details are available on our Water Services Emergency Page

... next, i predict a shortage of buckets and bassins ...

• Advertisement

Water levels in reservoirs serving North Fingal/Balbriggan area and Malahide/Portmarnock have recovered and water supply is expected to return to these areas by lunchtime or early afternoon today Tuesday 12th January.

Looks good

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭MYP82

Like some people said no water on Fernleigh drive from yesterday!!! Now I am affriad about my water pump as it is working all the time without the water and I dont know how to switch it off! Just great! I am going to tesco for some 5liters water packs :mad:

you'll need to look it up on net or something - it needs turning off if theres no water comming through - ours blew up - going to cost about a grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I assume the water pump is connect to the heating. There should always be water in the heating system.

MYP82 wrote: »
    you'll need to look it up on net or something - it needs turning off if theres no water comming through - ours blew up - going to cost about a grand.

The problem is that this pump is connected to DC without any switch! There is only cabel which is going to socket with fuse! That is all. Anyway I hope that water came back already as my landlord will not be to happy about grand for new pump.

The problem is that this pump is connected to DC without any switch! There is only cabel which is going to socket with fuse! That is all. Anyway I hope that water came back already as my landlord will not be to happy about grand for new pump.

Take out the fuse then?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    Take out the fuse then?

I could do it today morning but I did not now it needs to wait till evening.

Whay is there no water in your heating loop?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭peteypop

I could do it today morning but I did not now it needs to wait till evening.

do not disconnect the fuse ,lose of power to a pump can damage it ,the rcd switch needs to be on in the fuse board.
    the pump shouldnt be pumping if there is no water in house,best bet to leave it on and dont switch on taps til u have confirmation the water is on.
    waterville still no water.

peteypop wrote: »
    do not disconnect the fuse ,lose of power to a pump can damage it ,the rcd switch needs to be on in the fuse board.
    the pump shouldnt be pumping if there is no water in house,best bet to leave it on and dont switch on taps til u have confirmation the water is on.
    waterville still no water.

How can loss of power damage it? IS that not the same as when its off?

If it has no water and its not turned off, someone posted that would also damage it.

How does turning on the taps do anything with a pump?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭ozmo

peteypop wrote: »
    lose of power to a pump can damage it

Not so sure about that - ring a qualified plumber if you want to be safe.
    But if pump is running and theres no water in the heating system - then it definitely will be damaged.

“Roll it back”

Thanks guys for help. I removed a fuse. I spoke with plumper before and it was his advice. It was running whole day so I think it was the best solution for now.
    Still I think my pump had to have some water as there is a safty mechanism to switch it off when no water in pipes but in other hand this type of pupm is not designed to work all the time so fuse was my only solution.

Still now water in Fernleigh Drive Castelknock

Just home, so far carpenterstown rd is fine.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Mains gone in Fernleigh.

Hi there could you confirm that water came back on Fernleigh? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hi there could you confirm that water came back on Fernleigh? Thanks
    Low pressure mains water, back this morning and has persisted.

RE*AC*TOR wrote: »
    Low pressure mains water, back this morning and has persisted.

Thanks. I am from Fernleigh Drive and still no water. Only my pump is giving strange noises like air or something. Need to visit my neighbour.

• Advertisement

Why is your water pumped? Is it not usually only the central heating water that gets pumped.

Why is your water pumped? Is it not usually only the central heating water that gets pumped.

I realy dont know to much about it. I only know that this pump is next to tank in small storage and I think it is pumping water to the tank.
    Anyway I know that rivenwood has water and it is only 1 min from my place! Lucky me :cool:

Fingal County Council will be restricting water supply from 10pm Tues 12th Jan to 6am Wed 13th Jan to allow reservoirs to recharge
    ... some more

Why is your water pumped? Is it not usually only the central heating water that gets pumped.[/quote
    http://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon

this is the pump in my apartment ,when the power was cut,it died .i had to replace at the cost of quite a bit.
    thats why i said not to turn it off in my earlier post,there needs to be a minimum ampage to keep it working.obviously u had your wires crossed when asking what this had to do with taps.all newer apartments and complexes use pumps for water.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055158535

this thread ie circuit board damage due to power failure

How can loss of power damage it? IS that not the same as when its off?

If it has no water and its not turned off, someone posted that would also damage it.

How does turning on the taps do anything with a pump?

see above.
    ie .water pump.:Dhttp://www.stuart-turner.co.uk/products/monsoon

I was wondering was it an apartment or similar.

One other poster in that thread said his revolved itself by removing the fuse. So maybe your right, but I don't think removing power caused the problem. More like there was a surge when the power came back on and fired the board.

That just my guess. I don't really have a clue about it.

I'm surprised it works constantly. I'd have assumed it would stop, once the tank was full, or the pressure was too high or some cut off like that.

I was wondering was it an apartment or similar.

One other poster in that thread said his revolved itself by removing the fuse. So maybe your right, but I don't think removing power caused the problem. More like there was a surge when the power came back on and fired the board.

That just my guess. I don't really have a clue about it.

I'm surprised it works constantly. I'd have assumed it would stop, once the tank was full, or the pressure was too high or some cut off like that.

id say your right its when the power comes back on it fires the board;)

I spoke with my plumper and he said that pump cannot work without the water and the only solution is to remove fuse. I think my pump was working all the time trying pump water to the toilet as you cannot switch toilet off.
    I think it is some design problem with pump/board it self or your electrical installation as you can always loose power at your flat and this should not cause the problem! There are fuse all over the place in flat and this is your protection for any power outage it should be anyway.

Looks like my pump is working fine. Water came back and now pump is ON only when I run the water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

(posting to subscribe on mobile theme)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Slaacer

It seems we have water throughout the day now. I have cold water running (with no great pressure) in the kitchen, bottom toilet but upstairs the 2 toilet still have no water and same for the sink in the en-suite. Though I have water in the upstairs shower and bath (both fed through a pump)??? it has been intermittent with water in one place one day but not in others and vice-et-versa but now it seems "stuck".

Would it be due to an air pocket that went in the system ?

Any idea how to fix this ???

I take it that Fingal co are not going to pay the plumber's bill if we have to call one ???

Advertisement