Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what do I do if I cant make it to exams

Options
  • 06-01-2010 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭

I am living in cavan and get the bus from virginia to blanch every day. The way the weather is at the moment the buses will possibly be cancelled next week and I am unable to drive to the collage. Does anyone know what I have to do if I cannot attend the exams?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Ring the exams office and tell them of your situation.

You may have to defer them to the summer.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

I could see them looking at postponing the exams if the weather stays like this throughout the weekend.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

hopefully, I will ring the exams office tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

In extreme situations like that i would not be happy with having exams defered. hey should be postponed.

Having your exams defered puts the student at a disadvantage by not having the option of repeating until the following year, effectively leaving you stranded for a year if you fail any.

I was wondering this exact thing about people not being able to get to the college.

Yeh a deferral is not ideal.

I'm meant to be in tomorrow for a "study week" (its actually two days), but with the conditions the way they are I'd be surprised if some lecturers could get in safely. The college has been very quiet apart from an email about the library closing early.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Emay

If the exams were changed and you couldn't make them would you have to pay for the repeats? I am in hospital from the 30th of Jan and am worried they could be changed !!!!!!

Whats the likelihood they will be ?

who decides if the exams get postponed?

Emay wrote: »
    If the exams were changed and you couldn't make them would you have to pay for the repeats? I am in hospital from the 30th of Jan and am worried they could be changed !!!!!!

You would defer your exams so they wouldn't be repeats, they would be your first sitting.
    dsane1 wrote: »

Probably the heads of the school. President, exams officer, registrar, estates manager etc etc.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Emay wrote: »

I'm in 4th year and i've never seen a situation this bad at exam time, so really wouldnt know. But as regards to repeats, there's nothing to worry about when it comes to payment because whether you have 1 or 6 repeats, you just pay €50 to repeat.

It will be down to the exam board in ITB but i'm sure they will have to talk with HETAC too. But i'm just presuming, i don't know for sure.

seems like alot of red tape. At the rate the do things in ITB we will know by september if they should have postponed the exams.

• Advertisement

seems like alot of red tape. At the rate the do things in ITB we will know by september if they should have postponed the exams.

You're exactly right. The place is full of beuraucrats.

I wouldnt be surprised if there was no postponement, even if ALL public transport was off.

At least the college is recognising the possibility that the exams may be "disrupted".
    Registrar wrote:
    Given the current weather situation, there is a possibility of disruption to the examination schedule for next week. As of now, there is no change to the current schedule with the first examination starting on Monday 11 January as scheduled. Please check Institute website (www.itb.ie) for any update in this situation.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

kenon wrote: »
    At least the college is recognising the possibility that the exams may be "disrupted".

Did you get an email??
    itb.ie wrote:

January Exam Update - Weather

The Institute gives notice that at this time, it intends to proceed with the examination schedule as previously advised to students.
    Any changes or amendments to the schedule will be published here. Therefore students are advised to check this site for updates to the current position. The full timetables are available from the Exams Page
    Notice effective from 16:00 Thursday 7th January 2010

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Did you get an email??

Yeh I got an email about an hour ago.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Yeh I got an email about an hour ago.

my class-mates have been receiving mails but i havent. Weird!

Do you have to have requested a deferal before the exam? Or can you miss the exam then request the deferal?

Do you have to have requested a deferal before the exam? Or can you miss the exam then request the deferal?
    Before.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Its definitely worth ringing the exams office to check your options though.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Just rang exams office. They say you can defer the exam after it has happened.

Just rang exams office. They say you can defer the exam after it has happened.
    Then you're sorted! Then again, everyone's exams may be postponed.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

• Advertisement

DIT exams (Monday) postponed.

Dublin Bus have announced that 38 buses et al arent serving Corduff starting tomorrow.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Dublin Bus have announced that 38 buses et al arent serving Corduff starting tomorrow.

They didn't serve Corduff today.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

They didn't serve Corduff today.

Yeah i was presuming so. Apprently they're using Ballcoolin Rd and Castlecurragh Rd, which is way too far to be leaving students of ITB in the conditions.

Some of the lecturers are affected too, I know a few were out today. They need to be around at the time of the exams just in case there is something wrong with the exam etc.

I can see the exams being disrupted in some way next week...

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Some of the lecturers are affected too, I know a few were out today. They need to be around at the time of the exams just in case there is something wrong with the exam etc.

I can see the exams being disrupted in some way next week...

I have 2 exams next week which have modules concerning contingency plans and planning for worst case scenarios.

Irony isn't even the word!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Yeah I'd really like know what the hell is going on myself alright. I'm trying to get a surgery date sorted and this confusion over the exams is messing things up royally.

Hard to believe they will go ahead on monday .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

Maynooth have just posponed their Monday 11th Exams in the last few hours

January Exam Update - Weather
    Given the uncertainty of weather conditions on Sunday night and Monday morning in the Blanchardstown area, all examinations scheduled for Monday 11th January 2010 have been postponed. All examinations scheduled from Tuesday 12th January 2010 will proceed as previously scheduled. A new date for the postponed examinations will be advised on this site as soon as possible. Please check this site regularly for any updates on this position.
    Notice effective from 15:00 Saturday 9th January 2010

just got this from itb site

• Advertisement

This doesn't affect me in the slightest as my exams start on the Tuesday.

5/6 a side football

PM me for a game

Thread

Advertisement