Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing film

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Just went with the standard times, looks like it came out fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

Effects wrote: »
    Just looking for some advice on developing out of date film. I have some 120 Tmax100 that's out of date since 2004. Does it need any more time in the developer?

Good to hear you got on OK.

I developed some expired Tmax100 myself over the weekend in Rodinal R09, and gave it an extra 30s (6 min rather than 5.5). The main reason was because I had a second roll of Fuji Across in the tank, and it needed 6min. Hence the fresh roll took precidence. It came out perfect.

My experience with B+W expired film is that it does not "expire" so quickly. I'd consider a slightly longer development time, equivalent to a half or full stop push. If you have a number of rolls that are the same and expired, clearly you can run a test roll, and get a feel for the condition of film.

I had some good and bad results recently with expired Kodachrome, processed by Dwaynes in the US. Some rolls were good, other came back with a blue cast, and I'm not sure if that was X-Ray damage, or bad storage.

For C41 negative, I've a half box of Fuji Superia 1600 that expired back in 2003! I should have run a test roll, but didn't, and one set of Christmas party photos is pretty much toast. The next few rolls will be exposed at 800 or possibly 400, since I think that's pretty much all that's left in the emulsion.

I've seen posted elsewhere (on the interweb) that you can assume per decade, film will decay by one stop. So my 1600 became 800. My rule of thumb is adjusted by film stock (BW - no real decay, E6 - a half stop if stored OK, E6 - a full stop if not stored OK, K14 - a half to one stop, C41 - one to two stops)

Check out some of the Lomo sites on the internet - those guys go nuts for expired film, and cross-process and everything!

Aidan

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭aidanic

aidanic wrote: »
    I developed some expired Tmax100 myself over the weekend in Rodinal R09, and gave it an extra 30s (6 min rather than 5.5).

*cough* On mature reflection, I may have overcooked this one!

large.jpg

Original

Advertisement