Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion: Widespread Snow Expected Overnight/Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

has anybody yet reported an percipitation in any part of Cork yet, I would have thought that the stuff from limerick should be hitting North Cork now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The 18Z NAE has my our little (polar?) low appearing over Scotland at midnight :D

10010500_0418.gif

10010503_0418.gif

It also must be said from these ThetaE charts that the cold front over us tonight is a very weak affair indeed, with a stronger gradient only in the far northwest, therefore precipitation amounts will be minimal in most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

Raining with a little sleet here in Annagry, West Donegal for the last 3 hours, on top of ice and the roads are tretcherous. 3 degrees now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

so basically the only places that will get snow is high griund in the north, which seems to be the place that gets it most often, and the rest of us are in for a big letdown.
    :(
    No snowman for me then.

All these charts, I'm so confused!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very eloquently put Queen! :D

My DP had rose to -0.5 now, cutting it fine by this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I noticed in the forecast at 9.30 , she said the snow showers on thursday would be mostly in the north and north west :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Polar Low (maritimus eveleyn cusackas polaris)
    100900.jpg

Well, it would be lovely but here is the real systemtaken at 10pm. Long way to go yet if it is to become a PL
    100901.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭francie BradyII

Seriously it's time for us on the east to give up, go to bed and off to work in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

I was waiting for someone to post this, but no sign of it - so I will.
    This is one for the all the snow fans...and the informers who post their forecasts, however accurate or innacurate they may be ;-)

"Yo, snow, they came around lookin' for you...."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBEOyuTOxx8

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭ffarrell

It is - 2 in Castleknock, Dublin at the moment so any precipitation will be of snow.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

There goes all our expectations then . . .

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,649 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Pangea wrote: »
    I noticed in the forecast at 9.30 , she said the snow showers on thursday would be mostly in the north and north west :)

i doubt it. look at the direction that front is coming from it's bound to pull in milder air which will ensure a wintry mix of sleet and rain rather than snow at lower levels. so rest assured that there will be plenty of precipitation- just not in the form you want!

Pangea wrote: »

No, North, North West and East.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

last one out turning off all the switches ?? :D

lol that may actually be true! my brother who works there says they shut the place down at 11pm after the last flight in from stansted lol:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

lol even if it doesn't snow any more but freezes work will be very hard to get to from here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

ffarrell wrote: »
    It is - 2 in Castleknock, Dublin at the moment so any precipitation will be of snow.;)

Yes and no... its probably -2 from it being clear , when the front moves in ( if it does) it will raise the temps a bit so ya still cant be certain , as if u look at bellmullet its 4 degrees there now.

WolfeIRE wrote: »
    Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you the Polar Low (maritimus eveleyn cusackas polaris)

Well, it would be lovely but here is the real systemtaken at 10pm. Long way to go yet if it is to become a PL

That's not the one we're looking at Wolf, that's a seperate one. We're looking to the system over the Shetlands for polar low development

i doubt it. look at the direction that front is coming from it's bound to pull in milder air which will ensure a wintry mix of sleet and rain rather than snow at lower levels. so rest assured that there will be plenty of precipitation- just not in the form you want!

If it has been snowing in Limerick in the South West and sticking it will snow in the East where it is currently colder with snow coverage.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

just looked out to see there has been a light dusting of snow here (belfast). hopefully more to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

Seriously it's time for us on the east to give up, go to bed and off to work in the morning!

Pretty much, IMHO. Maybe some showers tomorrow, but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that even that is overcooked.

• Advertisement

milly4ever wrote: »
    just looked out to see there has been a light dusting of snow here (belfast). hopefully more to come!

Yes, light snow shower at Aldergrove at 2150Z

METAR EGAA 042150Z 23009KT 8000 -SHSN BKN003 01/00 Q1012=

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Slimity

Su Campu wrote: »
    That's not the one we're looking at Wolf, that's a seperate one. We're looking to the system over the Shetlands for polar low development

What time do you expect that to be over us Su Campu?

Is it our best chance for snow tonight in the East?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭arctictree

Bit off topic but here's some lad snow boarding in the Wicklow Gap (last year) :

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

milly4ever wrote: »

shower? or is a continous nice flow of light snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Roads around Letterkenny and East Donegal are absolutely treacherous. Cars being abandoned everywhere. It rained today and froze over. Now raining again!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Su Campu wrote: »
    sorry Su. My mistake. That just appeared to building in intensity over the past hour or two to me. It's the same one that I have been tracking since yesterday eve when it was off the NW coast of Norway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

shower? or is a continous nice flow of light snow?
    it was just a short shower,, stopped now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

arctictree wrote: »
    Bit off topic but here's some lad snow boarding in the Wicklow Gap (last year) :

LOL, when I first saw your post it was a solid white box. Thought you were havin' a laff. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement