Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

German style reg plates

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I purposefully asked for no dashes on mine,looks cleaner and better IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Eoin, where did you get your plates?

I got mine done with www.eireplates.com and i'm not happy with them.

Some place on eBay - I'll see if I can dig out the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Marlow wrote: »
    I got them from eireplates and I didn't have any complaints either. You are missing the dashes though, if I recall correctly. You need to type them in the field, too.

/M

That's what I don't like about them, I incorrectly assumed they'd be included and all the numbers are squashed together. Also, the Lú above the LH looks like its drawn on with a marker.

fr4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Voodoomelon, I'm 99% sure it was this crowd.

Thats great, thanks.

• Advertisement

That's what I don't like about them, I incorrectly assumed they'd be included and all the numbers are squashed together. Also, the Lú above the LH looks like its drawn on with a marker.

I think maybe when you typed the reg in to the order form you typed it 00LH9092 with no spaces assuming the would put the dashes in,it doesn't work like that.if you want spaces or dashes you have to input them.

Also just my opinion but i think German plates screwed on to the car look crap,it ruins that clean look the press plates give you,get yourself some German plate holders or double sided tape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

@ Voodoomelon, whatever way you type the reg in will result in the plates being made that way.

You should contact Eireplates first if you are not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I love them, first thing I did to my new 5er.

IMG_2052.jpg

Got them from Eireplates.

Kafer wrote: »
    @ Voodoomelon, whatever way you type the reg in will result in the plates being made that way.

You should contact Eireplates first if you are not happy.

All I said was i'm not happy with them, i'm entitled to my own opinion. I also said it was me that made the mistake and was wondering where Eoin got his, thats all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭MarkN

Here's mine, nothing too OTT, never, ever had a guard make a comment about them. Got them from The Wash in Leopardstown.

m3plate.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Tacky I think.

Good in Germany though.

Nothing intrinsically for or against them. Font is fine, only that when used out of their normal situation they just shout 'look at me and my german style plates' - except they're nothing worth looking at in the first place, and so the predominant response will be 'what a pl***er'.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

Sandwich wrote: »
    Tacky I think.

Good in Germany though.

Nothing intrinsically for or against them. Font is fine, only that when used out of their normal situation they just shout 'look at me and my german style plates' - except they're nothing worth looking at in the first place, and so the predominant response will be 'what a pl***er'.

I don't see any difference in choosing these plates than to putting any thought into the choice of alloy wheels or colour of your car. They are just something to make it look better or different. So I don't see how it would make anyone a plonker, unless you were just looking for something to use to call them that :)

Tacky I think.

Good in Germany though.

Very contradictory....

Tacky but fine in Germany??? would the not be tacky in Germany? is it the weather that helps them :D

Nothing intrinsically against them but when you see them on a car you or 'someones' first thought is pl0nker?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

look great on any german car , BUT only on german cars ;)
    i have a set on my Bmw 330d

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I have a set on my Audi. Got compliments about them. Never any trouble with Gardai once everything else is in order.

tossy wrote: »
    Very contradictory....

Tacky but fine in Germany??? would the not be tacky in Germany? is it the weather that helps them :D

Nothing intrinsically against them but when you see them on a car you or 'someones' first thought is pl0nker?

Not contradictory at all.

You are missing (deliberately?) the point : in Germany they look fine because they are the same as everyone elses and do not attract your attention. In Ireland, they do catch your attention, but as 'German style plates' to a greater degree than any (if any at all) aesthetic merit.

Just an opinion. The OP did ask.

conneem-TT wrote: »
    I don't see any difference in choosing these plates than to putting any thought into the choice of alloy wheels or colour of your car. They are just something to make it look better or different. So I don't see how it would make anyone a plonker, unless you were just looking for something to use to call them that :)

The difference here is that the choice is imitating something that the car is not - German. Alloy wheels or colour are a valid aesthetic variant. Similar contradiction for me as putting a GTI badge on a 1.1 Fiesta. Its just aping something it isnt and looking the poorer for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I've a set on my E30. Went with hyphens in between because it's a 94, as far as I know pre 91 (90?) the rules are a little more flexible in how the plates can look. I didn't go for the county bit because it looks to much like an after though on them.

Ordered from eireplates (with discount) arrived within a few days. I made a mistake filling out the form (1 hyphen) and was contacted by trevor if it was deliberate.

Can't faulth them anyway, plates look great, even if they are cleaner than the rest of the car :p

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

The difference here is that the choice is imitating something that the car is not - German. Alloy wheels or colour are a valid aesthetic variant. Similar contradiction for me as putting a GTI badge on a 1.1 Fiesta. Its just aping something it isnt and looking the poorer for it.

But the only cars I see them on are German ;):D:p

conneem-TT wrote: »
    But the only cars I see them on are German ;):D:p

Plus in Germany every make shape and creed of car has them :D

The do look good on a 'German' car .but my main reason for fitting them is the don't get tattered and old looking like our fantastic Irish style plates,where dirt gets in between the perspex and the backing plate,and any stone contact with the plate cracks the plastic as a result after 6 months to a year the plates look tatty and let the car down,where as my 'German' plates come up like new every time i was the car.

It's all a matter of taste i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Saw a car today with the stickers on his German plates. He'll never pass the nct :rolleyes:

http://www.german-number-plates.com/accessories/?cat=98

Saw a car today with the stickers on his German plates. He'll never pass the nct :rolleyes:

http://www.german-number-plates.com/accessories/?cat=98

He could just put his normal plates back on for the test :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭bbsrs

Tacky I think.

Good in Germany though.

Sandwich after that statement the only plonker is you , free choice, why should it even bother you what someone does to their car, and the sad thing is its a very irish thing ,your attitude, i've spent alot of time living and working all over the world and this country is the worst for slagging people off for doing their own thing .

Get a life you plonker and stop passing judgement on other peoples !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bbsrs wrote: »
    Sandwich after that statement the only plonker is you , free choice, why should it even bother you what someone does to their car, and the sad thing is its a very irish thing ,your attitude, i've spent alot of time living and working all over the world and this country is the worst for slagging people off for doing their own thing .

Get a life you plonker and stop passing judgement on other peoples !
    Please read the charter and refrain from personal insults.

Advertisement