Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

German style reg plates

Options
  • 03-01-2010 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭

I was thinking about getting german style reg plates. Whats the general opinion on them, tasteful or tacky?

Anybody have any problem with gardai saying they are illegal? Im guessing a "D" on the flag and the state badges are going to get ya pulled over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,126 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The font doesn't meet the requirements set down in law here (which specifics shapes and stroke widths but not a specific font).

You're far more likely to get away with them if you leave off the fake state badges and leave on an IRL eurobar - a number of boardsies have this and seem to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

MYOB wrote: »
    The font doesn't meet the requirements set down in law here (which specifics shapes and stroke widths but not a specific font).

You're far more likely to get away with them if you leave off the fake state badges and leave on an IRL eurobar - a number of boardsies have this and seem to get away with it.

There is nothing in the requirements about the actual font required. German font is actually easier to read then standard font. No issue with toll camers or any other equipment.

These plates also pass the nct once there are is IRL, county and hyphens between the year/county/number.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

They only look good on BMWs really imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

Neilw wrote: »
    There is nothing in the requirements about the actual font required. German font is actually easier to read then standard font. No issue with toll camers or any other equipment.

These plates also pass the nct once there are is IRL, county and hyphens between the year/county/number.

+1
    i have a set also and no problems with toll cameras or gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

They look well on Seat leon too

This guy does em.... he done em for this guy

he's never had any bother having them on the car

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,759 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

They only look good on BMWs really imo.

look well on any German car imo

special deals on them over on bmw-driver with some of the forum sponsers over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Neilw

Typhoon. wrote: »
    They look well on Seat leon too

Sure why would they look odd, every car in Germany has them, even Jappo's:D

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure why not? They're a lot better than some other plates out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

deaglan169 wrote: »
    +1
    i have a set also and no problems with toll cameras or gardai

When you say "no problems with toll cameras", you probably mean you still have the problem of toll cameras ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Seen them on plenty of cars but bery grand specific.

TBH, i'd only be putting them on German makes or the wider VAG range. One of the lads on here put them on a Seat Leon and (imo) they didnt really suit (no offence) but i wouldnt be worries about the legality. There's only a problem really if they;re difficult to read, which these aren't.

OP, what car are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

When you say "no problems with toll cameras", you probably mean you still have the problem of toll cameras ;)

very true but we all know on this forum we must behave ourselfs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73,427 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I heard they are allwed as they are an official EU font, as long as the county name is on top and the IRL is on the side then they can't say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,248 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Any more details on this? I can't find any specific info to say that my plates are illegal:

front2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭waxon-waxoff

Seen them on plenty of cars but bery grand specific.

TBH, i'd only be putting them on German makes or the wider VAG range. One of the lads on here put them on a Seat Leon and (imo) they didnt really suit (no offence) but i wouldnt be worries about the legality. There's only a problem really if they;re difficult to read, which these aren't.

OP, what car are you thinking of?

Ill be putting them on a 318is, i think they will look good on it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I asked a GTC member one day at a quiet checkpoint and he said

"Germany is a very very progressive economy and very orderly people SO if its good enough for them then it should be good enough for this backward country"

*Not word for word of course

BTW, I had German style plates on my Audi A4 up till around 2pm today when I took them off because Im giving the boss back the car during the week. I thought they looked good, unique but far from illegal.

Now If I put the Bavarian/round logos on the plates and D Euro Plate then I would be asking for it but I had the IRL badge, dashes between the sections.

PICT0683-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Ill be putting them on a 318is, i think they will look good on it

Ensure they are metal pressed plates and not the plastic ones because they will not look the same. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

In Australia, the government will issue you german style plates ( for a fee!)

http://www.vplates.com.au/euro-plates/

Why we dont have this here is beyond me.

Nakatomi wrote: »
    You can't figure out how out of all the fonts ever we don't use the same font as Germany on our number plates?

Thats precisely what I said...

FE-Schrift (the German font) does not meet the stroke width requirements here (the 6, possibly the 9, and some of the letters have overly narrow strokes), nor the shape due to the cut 0. If you pass the NCT with them, the tester clearly wasn't bothered about an argument. They're perfectly legible, just not legal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

We should have plates issued by the government, and if you wish you can have personalised plates, so you are not stuck with standardised plates referencing the original owners home county.

The closest thing we have to personalised plates here cost 1000 euro and can only be issued if you are the original irish owner.

Meh, personalised plates are tacky. we have one of the most logical reg systems in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Thats precisely what I said...

FE-Schrift (the German font) does not meet the stroke width requirements here (the 6, possibly the 9, and some of the letters have overly narrow strokes), nor the shape due to the cut 0. If you pass the NCT with them, the tester clearly wasn't bothered about an argument. They're perfectly legible, just not legal.

I'm not a fan of German style plates, I think they're pretentious. However that aside, according to SI 432/1999 so long as the characters are black, 70mm high, 36-50mm wide, stroke width of 10mm and at least 8mm apart they are legal. It mentions nothing else about the font style to be used or that cuts are prohibited. If it's not mentioned in the regulations then it's not against the regulations.
    14. The identification mark shall appear in black characters and each letter or figure shall have a height of 70 millimetres and a stroke width of 10 millimetres. The total width of the space taken by each letter or figure (other than the letter “I” or the number “I”) shall be not less than 36 millimetres and not more than 50 millimetres. The distances between adjoining letters and adjoining figures shall be uniform and shall be not less than 8 millimetres.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Berty wrote: »
    Ensure they are metal pressed plates and not the plastic ones because they will not look the same. ;)

+1 I have seen plastic German style plates and the look awful.
    Nakatomi wrote: »
    In Australia, the government will issue you german style plates ( for a fee!)

http://www.vplates.com.au/euro-plates/

Thanks,knowing our government they will introduce this next month and charge 1000 euro for them! :D

I've had German plates on the last 2 cars (4 years or so) and i've never had any hassle with them.I have IRL as the country and no hyphens or county name.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

They failed me(just 3 weeks ago) with on the car because of the gap in the 0 had everything else on them IRL, county name in irish etc.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of German style plates, I think they're pretentious. However that aside, according to SI 432/1999 so long as the characters are black, 70mm high, 36-50mm wide, stroke width of 10mm and at least 8mm apart they are legal. It mentions nothing else about the font style to be used or that cuts are prohibited. If it's not mentioned in the regulations then it's not against the regulations.

And theres stroke widths of less than 10mm on some characters in FE-Schrift... (when printed at the correct size)

The cut 0 isn't a standard 0, and I'm absolutely sure a judge would agree on that if it was taken to court. That said, the Guards realistically don't seem to care and the NCT doesn't result in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

eoin wrote: »
    Any more details on this? I can't find any specific info to say that my plates are illegal:

front2.jpg

I love your black kidneys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,661 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

eoin wrote: »

front2.jpg

Eoin, where did you get your plates?

I got mine done with www.eireplates.com and i'm not happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Eoin, where did you get your plates?

Why not? i got my last set done there,can't fault them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I got them from eireplates and I didn't have any complaints either. You are missing the dashes though, if I recall correctly. You need to type them in the field, too.

/M

Advertisement