Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

His Family own Rafael's in Tubber. Great spot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

Christ on a bike. I've always heard bad things about it (from a friend of a friend of a friend's cousin type thing, never directly) and have always made a point of steering clear, but now there's confirmation.

Seen about 15 black bin bags piled high in a heap the other week blocking the foot path at about 15:30 in the afternoon, rank :(

Valentine Day Special - Love Rat Surprise?

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Lornen

Portuguese Chicken Grill.
    Employed there for the first 2 days it was open.
    A 9 hours shift followed by a 10 hour shift with only a 1/2 an hour break in total.
    Chefs have next to no English and the co-owner/chef refused to let me go on a break on my second day as he had nobody to cover the til while I was on my break.
    So many complaints over under cooked or cold food from the customers.
    They'd lose an order slip I'd hand them or just completely forget to put something on.. An order for a chicken would be cooked and they would forget to but the chips on to go with that order.
    Absolutely embarrassing. I was the only local working there so it was incredibly embarrassing when someone I knew came back complaining about food being under cooked or still partially frozen.
    I had the worst aches in my legs from not being allowed sit down at all during the last day I worked.
    I had to pack it in, far too fragile to be dealing with incredibly angry customers, not being able to communicate with the other members of staff and completely confused by how these people thought to open a business without purchasing a bloody TIMER or two for helping with cooking times.

In saying all of that. When the 1/2 piri piri chicken is cooked and you manage to get one that isn't luke warm, the 2 bites I managed to get out of a piece before my lunch was stood on by one of the ignorant chefs, was very lovely.
    They have a Lemon butter style sauce, a medium heat and an extremely hot piri piri sauce made by themselves which is awesome.
    Hopefully they'll remember to put whatever sauce on your chicken that you asked for though.

What an absolute pity. I hope they get their bloody act together. Fresh chips that can rival Molly's old ones if they just let them COOK long enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Had the 1/2 piri piri chicken and chips on Saturday night thought it was pretty good and decent value. The problems you described are hopefully just teething problems .

gustavo wrote: »
    Had the 1/2 piri piri chicken and chips on Saturday night thought it was pretty good and decent value. The problems you described are hopefully just teething problems .

Great value. I mean half a chicken and chips for 3.95 and a chicken fillet burger at 4.40 alone, there was good reason that was the most ordered item on the menu the first two nights. My friend came in and loved it, another got a cold chicken and they forgot to put the v.hot piri piri sauce on it so they weren't impressed.
    I'm probably just not built for that kind of work. I took every complaint to heart! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Lornen wrote: »
    Great value. I mean half a chicken and chips for 3.95 and a chicken fillet burger at 4.40 alone, there was good reason that was the most ordered item on the menu the first two nights. My friend came in and loved it, another got a cold chicken and they forgot to put the v.hot piri piri sauce on it so they weren't impressed.
    I'm probably just not built for that kind of work. I took every complaint to heart! :pac:
    I'd put it down to teething problems. Sounds like good value and its something a bit different to the usual chippers around. I'd give them a chance to sort their issues.

Have you worked in that sort of industry before? People complain a lot! Just apologise and tell them you'll pass it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Is this the place that's loacated where Borza was on MCR?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Is this the place that's loacated where Borza was on MCR?

yep

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Hi, Which is the best pizza robertos or limencello?
    I tried bistro bianconni worst i ever eat never again.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

devil-80 wrote: »
    Hi, Which is the best pizza robertos or limencello?
    I tried bistro bianconni worst i ever eat never again.
    Thanks

Limoncello is cheaper but i've only once had a bad pizza with Bistro Bianconni

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Does anyone know what happened the Bistro Bianconi take away shop. Passed some time round valentines day and noticed it was closed and they have a notice in their window thanking customers for their support etc. Cant believe the take away is gone and nobody seems to mention it. I would have thought that it was doing well - always seemed to be a few in and out whenever I ordered of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

mano79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what happened the Bistro Bianconi take away shop. Passed some time round valentines day and noticed it was closed and they have a notice in their window thanking customers for their support etc. Cant believe the take away is gone and nobody seems to mention it. I would have thought that it was doing well - always seemed to be a few in and out whenever I ordered of them.

Yes - it was discussed in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055444610&page=61

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was mentioned in the businesses closing thread, was a bit of a shock alright. I ordered and collected from it the friday or saturday before it closed, and no mention or sign of a closure whilst I was there.

The high road branch was a franchise, but have heard rumours of a re open, either there or some where else in town.

Never have had pizza from the restaurant, but would love to try some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭mano79

Tks irish-stew. You need to go the restaurant its well worth a visit :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Bloody expensive for what you're getting IMO..

.. pop into The Swagman and a former chef (if i remember correctly) will do you similar pizzas at a fraction of the price.

Have ate in the restrarant a few times, but never seen the point of getting pizza as could get it delivered, so always went for something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Basq wrote: »

.. pop into The Swagman and a former chef (if i remember correctly) will do you similar pizzas at a fraction of the price.

What the Swagman calles a 'Nady's Pizza' is exactly the same as the Bistro's Michaelangelo. In fact I think it's even nicer, and half the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Truley wrote: »
    What the Swagman calles a 'Nady's Pizza' is exactly the same as the Bistro's Michaelangelo. In fact I think it's even nicer, and half the price!
    Yep, they are do an Aussie as well. Nyom!

Daft to pay Bistro prices.. and service is shocking in there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

Swagman's a great spot as a pub, but the food is just so bland. Three times I ate there and three times I thought I could have whipped up better at home in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Did you try the duck, Duck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

YES.

How Bistro Bianconi can charge 17.25 for a pizza, I don't know.................

But they do.

And they seem to be successful.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Waste of money better to order pizza from Limoncello.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 thequeenvic

mollys! they do the best curry chips....oh id love one now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 802 ✭✭✭m r c

What's the name of the Indian takeaway on the Pearse rd beside the lights. I can't think now, but its the only place I've eaten out of in the last while. I quite like it tbh.

BUT the best ever takeaway I have ever had has to be a place called happy garden in Waterford the chicken satay with fried rice. Ffs there is nothing to touch it that I have ever tasted nor will I'd say. It's a really creamy satay. Major want here ATM now and it's only midday plus an 8 hr round trip. Dare I say worth it though. I'd love to hear from anyone else who's had one out of there.

m r c wrote: »
    What's the name of the Indian takeaway on the Pearse rd beside the lights. I can't think now, but its the only place I've eaten out of in the last while. I quite like it tbh.

BUT the best ever takeaway I have ever had has to be a place called happy garden in Waterford the chicken satay with fried rice. Ffs there is nothing to touch it that I have ever tasted nor will I'd say. It's a really creamy satay. Major want here ATM now and it's only midday plus an 8 hr round trip. Dare I say worth it though. I'd love to hear from anyone else who's had one out of there.

Paprika! Absolutely love the place, amazing sides in the place!

China City have a nice chicken satay and I had their peking ribs the other week and holy jesus were they unREAL!

Just seen on the stores closing thread that Sligo Kebab House has closed.

Whilst this will ultimately save me money (probably only in the short term), it does mean I may have to start sampling the other kebab shops again, purely for research purposes mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

irish-stew wrote: »
    Just seen on the stores closing thread that Sligo Kebab House has closed.

I may have to start sampling the other kebab shops again, purely for research purposes mind.

Many's the bowels that'll be gratefull for it.
    They prepared much, if not all, of their food off premises, I'd be very doubtful of their standards of hygine.

Many's the bowels that'll be gratefull for it.
    They prepared much, if not all, of their food off premises, I'd be very doubtful of their standards of hygine.

No doubt that kebab meat is prepared of premises, not just for Sligo Kebab house, but for many of them.

But to be fair, if your stomach can survive the actual contents of a kebab, the chillies, and the several pints that are usally consumed before hand, i'd say your okay.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

I quite liked the Sligo Kebab House kebabs, their portions where huge though, how do ye know that most of their food was prepared off the premises, as far as I ever saw it was all prepared at the back end of the kitchen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

irish-stew wrote: »
    No doubt that kebab meat is prepared of premises, not just for Sligo Kebab house, but for many of them.

But to be fair, if your stomach can survive the actual contents of a kebab, the chillies, and the several pints that are usally consumed before hand, i'd say your okay.
    :D

I wasn’t referring to the meat but rather the rest of the ingredients used in their products.
    Standing outside Shoots I'd witnessed them ferrying large bowls of ingredients up the length of Gratin/Castle Street just prior to them opening up on a couple of occasions.

Believe me, my old guts will handle near anything thrown at them but I've only ever had food poisoning twice and both were from kebabs.
    Once in a Moroccan hotel restaurant after stupidly eating shish kebabs that looked/tasted funny despite having spent the week happily munching street food... and second a kebab from the above mentioned establishment.
    Mild poisoning granted but it led to some interesting dreams followed by some less than interesting WC time.

Looking forward to trying Roberto's though :)

Advertisement