Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chippers/Takeaways in Sligo

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Janine87 wrote: »
    YUCK I wont order it so. Ireland doesnt seem to know what a doener kebab is! :eek::rolleyes:

It HAS TO be doener kebab meat and veg in it. Anything else is just disgusting.
    Maybe they should come to Germany and get some inspiration. :rolleyes:

You sound just like my boyfriend :) but I do agree kebab in Germany is much better

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    You sound just like my boyfriend :) but I do agree kebab in Germany is much better

hahahaha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Sligome

Tried the Peppermill on the mall tonight and i must say it was fantastic. got the Taco chips and peppermill quarter pounder and was great value for money. The staff were really friendly and i didnt feel like i had just eaten a take away. The hot chef brought down the food and was telling me he butchers all his own meat and it really shows in the food. Everything is made from scratch in their kitchen and i could really tell with the quality of the food.
    i will be back very soon to try out their home made pizzas. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Sligome wrote: »
    Tried the Peppermill on the mall tonight and i must say it was fantastic. got the Taco chips and peppermill quarter pounder and was great value for money. The staff were really friendly and i didnt feel like i had just eaten a take away. The hot chef brought down the food and was telling me he butchers all his own meat and it really shows in the food. Everything is made from scratch in their kitchen and i could really tell with the quality of the food.
    i will be back very soon to try out their home made pizzas. :D

Food in the Peppermill is nice i wouldnt call it cheap though the only thing that annoy's me about the place is that they are extremely slow(thats coming from a regular happy eater customer ha)I was waiting for 45 mins for a chicken fillet burger and curry chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Does Peppermill deliver?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

To be fair, I take long waiting times in Peppermill to be a good thing,

45 minutes is excessive alright... but I'd more than gladly wait 20 - 25 minutes for fresh food than 5 minutes for luke-warm mediocre crap from most of the chippers in town.

And yes, they do deliver (phone number: 071-9119212).

As far as i know the delivery times are 45 mins on average for most places but i presume that all the food being fresh the cooking time will go up. which i dont mind at all because it is good stuff and you know that it has been cooked to order rather than sitting in an oven. As for the price i find them in or around the same as most other chippers which is great because you get great quality for a great price.
    i see they have a facebook page too with pictures of the food and the menu and the food looks amazing, making me hungry just looking at it.

yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Basq wrote: »
    The one you posted above looks like it uses flatbread..

.. you're unlikely to find anywhere outside of Germany that does that tbh!

Anywhere I've been (UK & Ireland) always uses pitta.

When I lived in London, any serious Kebab shop (Turkish) wouldn't touch that pita bread rubbish. They laid out a circular dough, placed the meat ect in the middle and then they would wrap the dough snugly around it. The meat wasn't thinly cut like you get over here, but nice and chunky. It was a serious feast. There were plenty of Abrakebabra style kebab shops over there alright. But if you wanted the real deal, I went to the traditional Turkish spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

I've been meaning to try Peppermill,have heard really good things about them

Tried the Peppermill Supreme pizza last night and i must say it was absolutly fantastic, it was rich in flavour and a welcome change from the bistro or dominos. Its about time you can get decent food from a take away. I highly recommend it. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Sligome definitely has a connection with the Peppermill and is giving a biased review as a result ;)

The only connection i have with the peppermill is when i got the menu through the door and decided to give them a try. Had a kebab from sligo kebab house last night and it was gorgeous and im quiet fond of Gr8 chinese on mail coach road too. Other than them three take aways in sligo i wouldnt even bother going anywhere else :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

roberto's on hill street,ballisadare/collooney :)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

skinny90 wrote: »
    roberto's on hill street,ballisadare/collooney :)
    Hill Street? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

You know, the one with the hill?
    And the statue lady at the bottom?

Statue lady hill street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

market street

I was bein a smart arsse :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭shanec1928

I was bein a smart arsse :o
    i know that but but i still dont think that person knows where it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Yes I do:-) though I havnt been home properly in 2-3years I know alot of people that still say hill street. apologies on the wrong street,anymore Il use Google maps or street view just to make sure I dont make that mistake again so you dont have to be worrying about me getting the name wrong:-)

Tried that peppermill place.
    Expensive.
    Long wait.
    Freshly prepared and cooked.
    Nice, but wouldnt bother going back really, defo not without phoning it in first, at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,968 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was in the Sligo Kebab House with friends last night. Great place. Nice guys in there. Had a 1/4 pounder with cheese. Was yum! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

I've been in the peppermill twice now and don't find their prices high considering what you're paying for.

Shamrok wrote: »
    considering what you're paying for.

Fast food.....
    The chips were nice.

they are not fast food they are good food...

I presumed take aways were fast by nature.
    My bad.
    40 mins for chips and a battered sausage.
    Like i said, i wouldnt go back.

The poor lad in front of me waited the same length for a small chips! :D

Theyll have a good week for rag week, at least you can go into oneills and have a pint or two while-u-wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

Ex-borzas/dinardis has a planning permission notice up in the window signed "Borzas"

Ive had the peppermill's food once or twice, yes it was slow but good and not that expensive (around the same as Molly's), would defo recommend phoning orders in.

Robertos on Highstreet is nice, and cheap, but their pizzas arent up to scratch in my book, Id rather go to the place in the clarence for pizza as they are really cheap and pretty good, though nothing overly special (go to the bistro for special)

Someone a while back was asking about the 4 lights: They use oil not lard in their fryers and their curry sauce is made using curry powder from boxes of pre-made powder from an irish producer, someone like McDonnells, Erin or Knorr, I cant quite remember (Its in a brown box)

Ive never really understood how people can like supermacs... the Sligo one isn to bad but most of them have portions you'd need a microscope to find at relatively high prices and everything is usually either all of the same slimey consistency or stale (from experience in Longford and Galway...)

Does anyone know if anyone in the town is doing deep fried mars bars? Borzas used to but I havent had one since before they closed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I had a kebab from Robertos in Collooney yesterday. It was lovely :) Great service from them too. I phoned in the order and it was ready in ten minutes. Nice chips too and a reasonble price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Do any of the chippers in Sligo not use lard - or any that offer veg oil instead? I miss chips :(

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭oldscoil

Hi Folks,
    Any info on any other styles of take away?
    What’s the best Chinese in Sligo, (or Indian)?
    I’ll be passing through this weekend and would love to phone ahead and then pick up.
    Thanks in advance Folks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭wolf99

@fillefatale: I know for a fact that 4 lites uses oil, and I'd guess that anywhere else that does "frys" over "chips" also use oil, such as the Best, Abra, the turkish between them, the turkish near market yard and the place at the entrance to the tesco car park.

@oldscoil: The Indians in Sligo are generally pretty decent, though not amazing, they are Classic India and Poppadom Restaurant, I prefer the former over the latter but I know some folks that like it vice versa, so there's not much between them.... Though Classic does seem to do more business and does serve alcohol (Poppadom doesn't serve alcohol AFAIK)
    There is also Paprika restaurant, but I've never been there, not sure if its even still open??

Advertisement