Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bliain Faoi Thrí

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Bad luck. Given the high HR I'd put my money on lack of sleep. After the 5 mile result it sounds like the target is within reach. Maybe a slower start ? Next time.

Possible a slower start would help, and more sleep. And better training. And being a better runner! Which goes back to better training! It's a focus for training in the future, anyway!
    :D:D:D LMAO

I'm only half-joking about the L plate! The only swim cap I have is the one I was given at the Loughrea triathlon and I'd say I look the right knob struggling to complete a length with a "look at me, I do triathlons" cap on :o. Like cycling a Cervelo P4, but with stabilisers :D:D

Friday

Went swimming again, and for the first time, completed what I set out to do. The rests between sets take longer than the actual sets :eek:. At least I can see that improvement can be had. On the first day, I counted 35 strokes to swim a lap (don't laugh back there). Yesterday, I counted 29 so at least there's some sort of quantifiable progress.

As long as I'm in enough swimming shape to take part in a Master's sessions come January.

Done:
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    4 x 50m

• Registered Users Posts: 17 24pintsman

Well done. When do you think you'll be progressing from land simulation to actually swimming in water?

Sunday

It had thawed out nicely by about eleven, and with my wife at the latter stages of her 10k training, we headed out together from her parents' house. We ran together for the first mile as a warm-up, and I headed off after that for seven miles at 6:49 pace. The day was really nice, crisp but not too cold. The run brought me up my usual route in na Minna, but with a few bog-road diversions, one bringing me around a nice little lake called Loch na mBreac Chaoch, deserted now but busy in summer with turf-cutters all around it. The second diversion brought me up another rough track, up a hill to a communications mast. The view on top was stunning, everything standing out in the clear air. Aran, my home penninsula of An Cheathrú Rua, the Twelve Pins, Maumturk, the Burren, a real 360 degree vista!

I used the nice views to take mini-breaks (:o), as I found the effort enjoyable but tough. I finished up, and saw my wife coming down the road, so got to do a nice-cooldown in her company. A satisfying run.

Route: Bóthar Nua
    Distance: 8.53 miles (1 mile w/u, 7 miles, .53 c/d)
    Time: 01:05:32
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 6:49/6:53
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8
    Personal Satisfaction: 8 (tough but enjoyable)
    Weather: Cold but thawing, and no breeze

24pintsman wrote: »
    Well done. When do you think you'll be progressing from land simulation to actually swimming in water?

It's a long and ardous process... can't rush these things. There will be a bath training programme inbetween land simulation and total water immersion but that's a while away yet...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Fair play with the swimming. Stick with it. Trust me, it's worth persisting with it! :cool:

In the pool again today, same set as the other day. I'm using this week as the first week of the Zero to 1650 programme.
    I'm still finding it tough, but ever so slight incremental improvements will keep me interested!

Done:
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    4 x 25m

This is turning out to be a pretty slack week, training-wise. No run since Sunday, a swim on Monday, nothing Tuesday, nothing Wednesday...

I managed to get into town for a swim today, though, same set as usual. Same crapness. No imagined incremental improvement today!

Done:
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    4 x 25m

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is that your duathlon on the 26th February on the tri calendar- I am getting my excuses in early. Going skiing that day for a week (Cross Training). Just noticed that you beat Kevin from our club into 10th last year, nice going he is an animal on the bike

Thats a nice website you have, great graphics

That's our duathlon alright, a new website for the club is being prepared at the moment so full details will be on that. We're going for a more traditional run bike run approach this time as opposed to the run bike last time. Looking back at the results, your friend Kevin fairly hammered me on the bike. I had home advantage on the run, knowing where the hills were and how severe they were!

Pity you won't be about, should be a good event. Now to get it organised!
    catweazle wrote: »
    Is that your duathlon on the 26th February on the tri calendar- I am getting my excuses in early. Going skiing that day for a week (Cross Training). Just noticed that you beat Kevin from our club into 10th last year, nice going he is an animal on the bike

Thats a nice website you have, great graphics

• Advertisement

I haven't updated the log in a while, and there really isn't all that much to update. My running is crumbling to a run a week, and ambitious targets for Athenry are falling to the wayside. I suppose I'm not too concerned, as the start of the new year will be a new start for training. I'm sticking to the swimming, which is a plus, but I've abandoned the bike entirely :o.

Saturday
    Swim
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    4 x 25m

Sunday
    A nice run, started out with my wife as part of my warm up. She was suffering from pains in her knees, and where I would have given up (and justifying it by saying that I was saving myself!), she toughed out for her longest run to date. Same route as last Sunday, bits on road, bits off road, bits being chased by horses on a bog road, bits suffering up a hill. Mostly bits
    suffering as a result of abandoning interval training and noticing the absence in both lungs and legs.

Route: Bóthar Nua
    Distance: 10 miles (.5 mile w/u, 8 miles, 1.5 c/d)
    Time: 01:20:52
    Prescribed Pace/Actual Pace: 6:49/6:56
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 8
    Personal Satisfaction: 6.5 (a realisation that no training results in slowing down)
    Weather: Cold and calm

Monday
    The second week of the zero to 1650 saw my max distance go from 100 metres to 200 metres. Wrecked at the end of the session, but it's all (slow) progress.
    1 x 200m
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    4 x 25m

A year to the day since my first post in my first log (and over a fortnight since my last post :o). Another birthday today, and a second consecutive year not spent in the pub on January 2! I'm glad to report that, whatever about various athletic targets, my Bliain Gan Beoir challenge went well and I went through 2010 without a drop of alcohol! I had my first beer at 1:30am on New Year's Day, a bottle of Old Tom Strong Ale, followed by a can of Guinness. I missed the Guinness...

For my own posterity, I'll write up a review of the year tomorrow, and outline my targets for 2011.

Since my last post on 16 December, I've done one run (six miler), four swimming sessions and I've done in my back, resulting in no training since about a week before Christmas.

By the way, does anyone know if you can change a thread title, as I'd rather keep the log together rather than starting a new one from scratch (the name "Bliain Gan Beoir" won't work this year :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Well done on your bliai gan beoir Rónan. Were you on your ear after 2 drinks?:D

Sorry to hear about your back. No athenry tomorrow?

The mods will be able to change your log title if you ask them nicely.

littlebug wrote: »
    Well done on your bliai gan beoir Rónan. Were you on your ear after 2 drinks?:D

Sorry to hear about your back. No athenry tomorrow?

The mods will be able to change your log title if you ask them nicely.

No Athenry unfortunately. As it happens, I wouldn't have been able to go due to a family commitment, but I couldn't run it at the moment anyhow. The back is getting better, hopefully I'll be running again shortly.

I kind of expected to be wasted after a drink alright, but it seems my alcohol conditioning lasts longer than my athletic conditioning!

2010 has definitely been my best running year so far. I ran more races, ran faster, and basically ran more often. Every race bar two saw a PB, which I suppose indicates my poor running until now, but all in all, it’s been very satisfactory.

A slight downer to the end of the year, in that it’s been over a fortnight since my last run, due to a back injury, but there’s no harm in winding down before winding back up again… is there?!

Looking back at the first post in this log written a year ago, I wrote “I’m not too sure how to set my time targets for the year, as 2009 was such an improvement that I don’t know if I can go much further with it. I think it’s best to set slightly ambitious targets though and if I don’t reach them, at least I know I will have tried.”

So, the targets were:
    Marathon: 3:40 Actual Time: 3:15:08
    Half marathon: 1:35 Actual Time: 1:30:17
    10k: 45min Didn’t do a 10k in 2010, had intended to do Athenry, but was postponed
    Gaelforce: 4:30 Actual Time: 4:44:17

Nice to exceed targets, and even Gaelforce can be explained away by some course changes ;).

All in all, I ran 839.18 miles (1350 km’s sounds better though) in 2010, paltry compared to many hardened Boardsies, but more than I've ever ran in a year. I became a club runner for the first time (some strange looks down west for the obscure Boards AC vest!). I had my highest ever race finish (5th place in Leenane) and a bundle of top 10 per cent finishes. I met loads of people at races through Boards, and I really enjoyed some great logs. I also found my arch nemesis for 2011 (the evil Catweazle).

Favourite Race: Dublin Marathon, absolutely delighted with my time, and a very enjoyable race running with pacers and with people I had met through Boards.

Most Disappointing Race: A tie between the Kildare Half (for missing sub 1:30 by 17 seconds), and Gaelforce West (for missing out on a top 100 place). Hindsight tells me that being disappointed after missing arbitrary targets makes little sense, especially as I put all I could into both races.

Worst Race Performance: Loughrea Triathlon… so slow coming out of the water that the December freeze was beginning to set in (the race was run in September!). The bike was very average, and a torn stomach muscle put paid to any running performance.

Best Organised Race: Hats off to Craughwell for a fantastic debut race.

Friendliest Race: Leenane… hands down.

Races run in 2010:
    Tuam AC 8k 60th 33:35
    Trysport Duathlon 8th
    Predator Duathlon 14th
    Craughwell 10 77th 68:38
    Connemara Half 73rd 1:38:25
    Kildare Half 63rd 1:30:17
    Kilcornan 8k 12th 31:21
    Salthill 5k 9th 18:39
    Black Forest 5k 137th 35:32
    Gaelforce West 116th 4:44:17
    Loughrea Triathlon 151st 1:25:25
    Dublin Marathon 907th 3:15:08
    Leenane 5 Miler 5th 31:10
    Black Forest 5k 7th 18:53

Targets for 2011

For 2011, the focus will be triathlons, which means considerably upping my training from the paltry average of three days a week in 2010. Things are looking good already though, as my wife bought me a Garmin 310xt for my birthday yesterday. Yippeee!
    My swimming is abysmal and my biking pretty much non-existent, but now is the time to start putting that right. I won’t do a marathon this year, with the Galway Ironman 70.3 my primary aim, but I do intend to get the half-marathon time under 1:30. I had hoped to do a better job of Gaelforce for 2011 but seeing as it’s so close to the Galway event, I’ll have to let it go by this year. As for the divil drink, I'll use the log to keep a track of that also, as I've put a limit of 72 pints in place for 2011 (I could easily go off the rails otherwise, following an abstemious 2010). So, for the record, I'm two pints down: 2/70

I’m not sure yet what races I’m aiming for so here’s a provisional and aspirational list:
    Tuam 8k
    Limerick Duathlon(s)
    Kinvara 10k
    Craughwell 10
    Harlequin Adventure Duathlon
    Connemara Half Marathon
    Limerick Half Marathon
    Connemara Adventure Challenge
    Spiddal Triathlon
    Portumna Triathlon
    Galway HIM
    Loughrea Sprint
    Athenry 10k

As for time targets, I’d like to have a crack at a few of the time in the Big 8 challenge. Achievable ones for me, I reckon, would be the sub 1:30 half, sub 40 10k, sub 20 5k. What the hell a sub 60 minute 10 miler is doing mixed in with those other times, I’ll never know!

Finally, a big thanks to everyone who has posted advice and encouragement on this log over the past year, and thank you for the pleasure of your own logs. Happy New Year, and may it involve swift, injury-free running!

Looks like Spiddal will be our place of battle. I started last year off with an Olympic and it was a real struggle so I may do the sprint out there this time and ease myself in. Havent entered Galway 70.3, its not looking good for me, i am just struggling to justify the expense

A few suggestions to your schedule (keep your friends close and your enemies even closer)

You need to make sure you have enough cycling in, coming off the bike after a 90k cycle is a real killer. Have a look at a few sportives like the Lap of the Mask and others that are coming up, time in the saddle is important and they are very enjoyable. Factor in a pint of cider at the break if I am along on it ;)

Dont do too much racing, my main problem was that I was signed up for a load of Sprint tris and half marathons and I realised after that I would be much better off doing a long training session instead. You tend to ease off for a day or two before the race as well so you lose three/four days for not much benefit

Have a look at the Hell of the West or Brian Boru Olympic instead of Portumna. Swinford is 6 weeks out before Galway, look at entering a relay perhaps and do the swim or cycle section. Its a nice sheltered swim so it might be the ideal confidence builder for you, the bike section will also be similar to Galways if the wind is helpful on both races

You might be throwing money away entering Loughrea a week after Galway, I could hardly swim 100m for a few days after Swinford last year, it really does take it out of you.

I know there are going to be some fairly good looking series of duathlons organised by Tri Lakes and Predator end of January. Pgibbo will know more about this and whether you will be able to enter them but they certainly will be more travel friendly than Limericks.

Also there will be aquathons in Salthill and Loughrea again this year over varying distances in the summer, these are well worth entering

Will we be seeing you enter the SCR challenge this year, shotgun will be watching out for you!

Thanks Catweazle, some good advice there to take onboard. I was a long time toying with Galway 70.3 myself due to expense, but in the end, I thought it a shame to let such an event go by, especially since it was on my doorstep, and there was no travel or accommodation costs involved. On the same principle, though, I've held off signing for the Connemara half and am not sure yet if I will or not. I think I'll be paying a lot more attention to value for money.

Spiddal should be good, I was thinking of going with the Olympic but might reconsider considering your post. I feel like I should do an Olympic by May, though, especially considering my inexperience. As for the bike, I guess it's a case of putting in miles, and the time, which is a pretty rare commodity these days. Swinford as relay is an interesting idea, as is an aquathlon.

I probably won't be signing up to many events too far ahead of time but will judge things as they come by closer. You intend to do much running in 2011?
    catweazle wrote: »
    Looks like Spiddal will be our place of battle. I started last year off with an Olympic and it was a real struggle so I may do the sprint out there this time and ease myself in. Havent entered Galway 70.3, its not looking good for me, i am just struggling to justify the expense

A few suggestions to your schedule (keep your friends close and your enemies even closer)

You need to make sure you have enough cycling in, coming off the bike after a 90k cycle is a real killer. Have a look at a few sportives like the Lap of the Mask and others that are coming up, time in the saddle is important and they are very enjoyable. Factor in a pint of cider at the break if I am along on it ;)

Dont do too much racing, my main problem was that I was signed up for a load of Sprint tris and half marathons and I realised after that I would be much better off doing a long training session instead. You tend to ease off for a day or two before the race as well so you lose three/four days for not much benefit

Have a look at the Hell of the West or Brian Boru Olympic instead of Portumna. Swinford is 6 weeks out before Galway, look at entering a relay perhaps and do the swim or cycle section. Its a nice sheltered swim so it might be the ideal confidence builder for you, the bike section will also be similar to Galways if the wind is helpful on both races

You might be throwing money away entering Loughrea a week after Galway, I could hardly swim 100m for a few days after Swinford last year, it really does take it out of you.

I know there are going to be some fairly good looking series of duathlons organised by Tri Lakes and Predator end of January. Pgibbo will know more about this and whether you will be able to enter them but they certainly will be more travel friendly than Limericks.

Also there will be aquathons in Salthill and Loughrea again this year over varying distances in the summer, these are well worth entering

Will we be seeing you enter the SCR challenge this year, shotgun will be watching out for you!

ronanmac wrote: »
    You intend to do much running in 2011?

I hope not but i love running so I find it hard not to get out for at least 8k most days. I am mad to have another go at sub 4 out in Connemara but I dont want to have my best running behind me in April like last year, my endurance was gone by August

I don't really have much of a plan myself, Swinford is pencilled in and thats about it, I am going to wait till March before getting more a more solid plan.

All I am definitely going to do is race less and stay local, I did way too much last year....i spent a fortune !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Fantastic set of results for 2010 Ronan, it's only when I see them all put together in one place that you can see the huge improvements you have made. Fully deserved for all the hard work.

Best of luck for 2011 and no doubt new PB's all round again

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Fantastic set of results for 2010 Ronan, it's only when I see them all put together in one place that you can see the huge improvements you have made. Fully deserved for all the hard work.

Best of luck for 2011 and no doubt new PB's all round again

Thanks BrokenMan. Not so sure about new running PBs allround, but I guess the first-time triathlons will provide the PBs! Good luck with 2011, I see from your log you've set up some big targets for the new year. It'll be interesting to see if the little 50k voice in your head keeps getting louder!

• Advertisement

With the Bliain gan Beoir now officially over, it's time for a new log title, and with 2011 being about getting under 1:30 for the half marathon, and completing a half Ironman, a year of two halves, or Bliain an Dá Leath, is as appropriate a title as ever.

I injured my back about three weeks ago, and have very, very little since then, and it's beginning to manifest itself in weight and and wheeziness! I had an appointment with BJohnson this morning, who extracted a few reassuring cracks from my back, and I definitely felt better afterwards.

So much so that I got my first training session for 2011 in, a swimming session from the Zero to 1650 programme. It was always going to be difficult for someone at my swimming level, but after the layoff, it felt like a bit of a drag. Glad to get it done though. Might just start running again tomorrow!

Done:
    1 x 400m
    1 x 200m
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    Total: 1200m

With it being over three weeks now since my last run, I signed up yesterday for the Connemara Half as motivation to get me out the door. There is still some aching with the back, but it's definitely improving, so I went out for six miles today. No purpose to the run other than it being a run. I'll start a training programme next week, but need to open the lungs a little bit and loosen the legs somewhat before then. It's amazing how quickly you lose fitness, so I look forward to getting it back!

Distance: 6 miles
    Time: 44:50
    Pace: 7:28
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 6
    Personal Satisfaction: 7 (nice to be out again, plenty of little niggles on my lower right side stemming from my back, back not painful though)
    Weather: Cold, crisp, sunny

Back to the pool again today, it felt slightly easier than last Wednesday's swim of the same set.

Done:
    1 x 400m
    1 x 200m
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    Total: 1200m

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

An mbeidh tú ag dul don 1:30 sa Conamara Half?

An mbeidh tú ag dul don 1:30 sa Conamara Half?

Jaysus, ní bheidh! Cheapfainn go bhfuil Conamara 5 nóiméad níos moille ná an gnáth leath, bheinn thar a bheith sásta le 1:35 ansin! Luimneach, b'fhéidir, don 1:30, níl mé cinnte fós... Aon sprioc ar leith agat féin do Chonamara?

Finding a new running spot around the area in which you've lived most of your life is unusual, but yesterday's run was a fantastic find. About five minutes drive from the house, a right-hand turn into the bogs of Leitir Mucú provided deserted soft-surface roads, lakes and mountains, a criss-cross of routes to build up any decent sort of distance required.

An added bonus yesterday was running company, and Brendan joined me for a run that had no purpose really other than to start running again. We started off nice and gently, and kept a pace that was slow enough, but picked it up a good bit for the last three miles. A really nice run, but much like Thursday's six miler, I felt muscle soreness set in very quickly afterwards (about an hour afterwards), which is unusual. It's either (a) paying the price of a layoff, (b) getting used to combining swimming and running or (c) the onset of the flu that has my poor wife and two boys in a miserable state these days!

Distance: 8.6 miles
    Time: 01:07
    Pace: 7:52
    Perceived Exertion (out of 10): 4 for the first bit, 9 for the last bit!
    Personal Satisfaction: 9 (really great place to run, company a great bonus and the pickup in pace at the end turned a nice jog into a good workout)
    Weather: A cracking Sunday of sunshine

Hurrah! 600 consecutive metres (I know, I know :o) of swimming. I'm beginning to finally have faith in the zero to 1650 programme, as it's not that long ago where 100 metres in the pool was a genuinely difficult effort. Yesterday's swim was a great morale-booster, even if my "technique" (snatched from articles and videos!) was falling apart at the end of the session. The masters sessions start in Galway tomorrow, but I really don't think my swimming would be up to it yet, as I'm a combination of endurance-short and really slow. I might look at taking a few private lessons once I get the 1500m swim out of the way in a few weeks time.

Done:
    1 x 600m
    1 x 300m
    4 x 100m
    4 x 50m
    Total: 1500m

Join the masters. Simple as that really

pgibbo wrote: »
    Join the masters. Simple as that really

:eek::eek:

• Advertisement

better to have someone observe and give feedback rather than swimming awat and "thinking" you are on the right track. Either join the masters or get 1-2-1 lessons ASAP. My 2c...for all it's worth ;)

Advertisement