Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 road conditions,roadworks,closures,etc...

Options
  • 02-01-2010 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I need to go out today.What are the roads like in the D15 locality? If there is a thread on this already mods, feel free to redirect me or delete.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I'd be interested in finding out too. I really really want a bagel and I'm getting cabin fever but I'm not sure what the Hartstown Road and the roads around the centre are like.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Theres a huge tree fell down inside the Portersgate estate if anyone needs logs. Just bring your saw!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Havent been out today yet, but had no difficulty in driving up to Lohunda from here, and over to Ikea & back twice yesterday. Navan Road & M50 cleared up by the afternoon, and river road was ok. Just go very slowly, and watch the other eejits around you very closely- they are your biggest enemy in this weather!

Just back from Blanch. The Hartstown Road, Mountview Road and the road (Blanch Road South?) to the centre were fine. You just need to take it easy in case. The centre itself was fine but because of the snow the lines that mark out the car spaces are covered so parking was a bit of an issue. There were loads of spaces that were just too narrow and cars were jutting out of spaces.

It was great to get out of the house and I got to have the nicest hot chocolate ever in Draíocht.

OK.The roads outside the estates not too bad. Didnt notice any grit though.Its getting colder now so ice will probably build up again. Its quite hard to drive slow when your feet have a life of their own!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Best advice really is dont drive unless you really really have to. Shopping can usually wait a few days, buy food in your local shop if you are starting to get hungry again after the Christmas feast.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I just WALKED to Ongar (first time ever!). Half an hour through a few estates.

Main roads are grand, just the estates are bad.

If it freezes tonight could be bad tomorrow though....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Will be driving to Blanch Road North, any idea what its like around there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

roads seemed ok around ballycoolin area this morning, just the industrial parks were like ice skating rinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

I've just driven from Bray and amazingly theres not much snow there.

I wasn't looking forward to the drive as I thought the roads would be really bad with Bray being in Wicklow and all.

It must be because its so close to sea level.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

suey71 wrote: »

It must be because its so close to sea level.

Nothing to do with the level it's the "warm" sea breeze. Seaside areas get the least snow.

Thanks athtrasna, never knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Riverwood, Laurel Lodge, Castleknock estates, Deerpark, Pecks lane, are all Ice Rinks, once you are off the main road. Ditto the park so they've closed a bunch of gates with really helped with the traffic this am. Around the shopping center and beyond doesn't seem as bad. Anywhere theres a hill seems to have problems.

Snowed again during the night, and now is very frosty. Looks like we'll be white for another day or 2 anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

looking worse today! Its bucketing down snow!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

3 trucks stuck between the IT park roundabout and the cruiserath roundabout on the blanchardstown road north going towards cruiserath so I'd avoid it!

As soon as the snow started I threw my stuff into my car and left for Cork where the weather seems to have picked up. I hope the snow stops in D15 though. It'll be a nightmare if it doesn't.

About an hour ago I saw a truck with a snow plough attached to its front and its trailer was full of grit, thing is, the gritter wasn't turned on.

Maybe the council is saving it for a rainy day:D.

Well they do keep saying they're conserving it. :D I think that means that they are ignoring most roads, even primary routes, just in case. :rolleyes:

I haven't heard uncle Gaybo on the radio at all giving out about road safety since the bad weather started.

• Advertisement

Looks like blanchardstown rd north is currently getting gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Just in off Blanchardstown Road North on the Corduff Rd is treacherous. Its starting to get busy now and I just watched a van lose control at low speeds.

Kids have also put a large snowball on the road so people are having to drive on the path to get around it.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

The gritting was only done in front of an esb truck that had gotten stuck, The traffic corps and corpo truck dutifully tended to the scene until it was up the road and then fecked off without gritting and leaving other stuck trucks to it. Gotta wonder where the full truck of grit was going if they don't think a road that carries traffic from a number of business parks to the N3 is worth gritting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Asok wrote: »
    The gritting was only done in front of an esb truck that had gotten stuck, The traffic corps and corpo truck dutifully tended to the scene until it was up the road and then fecked off without gritting and leaving other stuck trucks to it. Gotta wonder where the full truck of grit was going if they don't think a road that carries traffic from a number of business parks to the N3 is worth gritting.

Prolly down to grit the road around the hospital.

Scariest thing today. Kids walking ON the frozen canal at Clonsilla train station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Scariest thing today. Kids walking ON the frozen canal at Clonsilla train station.

My Mam grew up in Cadbra and it used to be done thing most winters.

I used to do it myself down there in winters passed.

I've got 3 kids now and would flip if I found out that they did it.

I don't tell them anything I got up to when I was a kid.

Let them play with their Nintendos and PS3's, its safer.:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Anyone see the amount of cars abandoned on the new Tyrellstown relief road.

suey71 wrote: »
    I used to do it myself down there in winters passed.

I've got 3 kids now and would flip if I found out that they did it.

I don't tell them anything I got up to when I was a kid.

Let them play with their Nintendos and PS3's, its safer.:D.

So true, as a kid I would have spent every waking minute out in this sort of snow, doing stuff I certainly wouldnt let my own kids do.

I dont think the cold spell has been here long enough for the ice on the canl to support much weight. I was down at the canal on tuesday and put a foot out on the ice to see how strong it was, and went it straight through, it was less than half an inch thick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

just to let some know its taking 30 mins to get out of littlepace this morning.

Advertisement