Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stealth Em Up

Options
  • 01-01-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

So, been playing the Hitman games recently. Have Blood Money, Silent Assassin and Agent 47, also have Riddick: Black Athena and the Thief games 1-3...

What other good stealth orientated games are out there? Even one's like Hitman where you can run and gun, but where the stealth element makes the game more rewarding are good, but I prefer true stealth games, like Thief.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Can't go wrong with any of the splinter cell games then, New one out soon as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

The earlier Splinter Cell games come to mind. I remember them being mind blowing but I dont know how well they have help up over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

:o Completely forgot about Splinter Cell! I don't have any of them but I have only heard good things.
    Cheers lads. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Mataguri

Nevore wrote: »
    :o Completely forgot about Splinter Cell! I don't have any of them but I have only heard good things.
    Cheers lads. :D

Pretty cheap on Steam atm too. Id avoid Double Agent though, the earlier ones were much better.

Yeah, grabbed them there. Double Agent looks intriguing though, and it's only a fiver...
    Damn Steam, the babies haven't been fed since this sale came on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Chaos Theory is a brilliant game, give it a go. Double Agent for five? Worth a shot!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,893 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Metal Gear Solid as well.

Playing a Rogue on WoW though was a big fat letdown in the stealth dept.

I've also heard Thief is a good one.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Overheal wrote: »
    I've also heard Thief is a good one.

For shame Overheal. For shame.

Go rectify this situation immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Nevore wrote: »
    Damn Steam, the babies haven't been fed since this sale came on!

lol, reminded me of a good prank I heard before :D When you are going to buy some beer, have around enough money ready only for the beer, then walk up to the cash register with the beer and a pack of diapers, when the cashier tells you the cost, look at the money in your hand, push the diapers to the side then say "meh... they can go without, I'll take the beer please" :pac:

On topic... can't recommend the Splinter Cell series enough. Double Agent isn't the best, but it has it's moments, so it's definitely worth a look if you are working through the whole series.

A lot of games have an optional stealth mode that you can force yourself to stick to. I'm playing through Crysis again atm and forcing myself to go undetected. There's loads of areas I hadn't even noticed before (probably because I was just blowing everything up before :pac:) that allow for stealth. For all of the gripes people had with Far Cry 2 if you choose to go stealth it turns it into a much better game. Watching the guard patterns, distracting their attention... etc.

Fallout 3 also has a lot of features that allow you to play through it in stealth mode also.

You could also try Assassins Creed 1 and 2, both heavily stealth oriented.

Yeah, I'm going to work through the SC, really enjoying the first title as we speak!

I'll probably have to give Assassins Creed another go at some stage. Played the first on the ps3 and it just never really shone for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No One Lives Forever 1: although there's plenty of capacity for running & gunning, the stealth mechanics are pretty decent, if a little harsh & unforgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭mhairt

You should have a look at the dark mod
    www.thedarkmod.com/
    it is based on the thief series and is free to download you will need doom 3 installed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

Velvet Assassin is a stealth em up that can be found for next to nothing these days and only came out last year
    is The Saboteur a stealth em up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

superfly wrote: »
    Velvet Assassin is a stealth em up that can be found for next to nothing these days and only came out last year
    is The Saboteur a stealth em up?
    Supposedly not very good though?
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/velvetassassin?q=Velvet%20Assassin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Play blood money on the hardest setting, that is pure stealth and planning.

I have only played that game on that setting, I've played the rest of the hitman games also, but blood money is by far the best.

Aim to do levels with the fewest incidents of 'going loud', its a real pleasure to sneak around planning the kill.

Play blood money on the hardest setting, that is pure stealth and planning.

I have only played that game on that setting, I've played the rest of the hitman games also, but blood money is by far the best.

Aim to do levels with the fewest incidents of 'going loud', its a real pleasure to sneak around planning the kill.
    Yeah, I'm replaying it on hardest, trying to max my stealth, minimise my violence and with as few costume changes as possible. It's the best of the lot by far, I just wish they'd hurry up and make a sequel.
    Playing splinter cell as well, I'd love to see a game that married the mechanics of the two. Hitman has superiour subterfuge and combat mechanics, but some of the movement in Splinter Cell is great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

beyond good and evil is another little gem with stealthy bits. Could be hard to come across though

pipeliner wrote: »
    beyond good and evil is another little gem with stealthy bits. Could be hard to come across though
    Steam have it for €2.49 during the christmas sale. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I loved thief 3 and sadly misplaced thief 2 without ever playing it.
    I also loved BG&E.
    I didn't like Splinter cell.
    I've never played Hitman. Should I try it? How similar is it to splinter cell? Whats the atmosphere like? Blood Money a good place to start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Have been playing through the hitman series recently. Start at the beginning and work your way up to Blood money......Codename 47 - Silent Assassin - Blood Money.

• Advertisement

eyerer wrote: »
    I loved thief 3 and sadly misplaced thief 2 without ever playing it.
    I also loved BG&E.
    I didn't like Splinter cell.
    I've never played Hitman. Should I try it? How similar is it to splinter cell? Whats the atmosphere like? Blood Money a good place to start?
    Save Blood Money for last. :)

The pack is still on sale on Steam, all 3 games for E13.39, normally E19.99

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Deus Ex has a stealth aspect. Then again it has everythng.
    Batman: Arkham Asylum has some great stealth bits, if a little silly.
    The Penumbra games require you to sneak about in the dark a lot, while clutching your pants.

Assassin's Creed II is a good stealthy game. It's a significant improvement over the original without straying too far from the core concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Anyone who hasn't played the hitman series needs to go choke themselves with some piano wire.

Or try the games out :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I've played the first level of Blood Money and am liking it. The series defo gets better as you progress through them.

I picked up the splinter cell games in the steam sale (along with a tonne of other games) and am looking forward to working my way through them, although I've completed Double Agent on the Xbox 360.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

The first Tenchu game was amazing at the time, nothing better than doing a flip off a tall building landing in front of a guard and lodging your katana through his face, so many different ways to kill it made the game very enjoyable.

Also the commando's games are very fun and require careful planning / sneakyness, especially the second one with the thief class. The green beret and spy also make for some awesome sneaky action :D

If you havent played hitman i advise playing them from the first one up, get the full story into you :D

nix wrote: »
    Also the commando's games are very fun and require careful planning / sneakyness, especially the second one with the thief class. The green beret and spy also make for some awesome sneaky action :D

It should be pointed out that playing Commandos 2 can be hazardous for your health & the health of your furniture. It's one of the few games where the very first mission will have you throwing your keyboard through the monitor ;) Hell even the tutorial mission's an evil, evil creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah its a game that requires patience and careful planning, i loved them tbh, hope they make another in the future :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

cool thread, love the old stealth em up.! alot mentioned already, but sure a few more random ones

alien in AVP is good craic (also, predator cloak obviously)
    playing spy in team fortress 2 is quite satisfying too :)
    rogue characters in any of the fps rpgs, morrowind, obliv, fallout3 etc etc
    manhunt (though, I think its pretty craptacular)

thief 2 is a must imo.. love splinter cell, and to a lesser extent mgs, but having all the gadgets, big guns etc detracted from the stealth imo.. Nout like the constant threat of getting 2 shotted by the hammerers to keep you on your toes :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Stealth can play huge part in missions in Arma2, you'd have an almost unlimited source of new sniper missions from the community too. When it comes to guns there's nothing that game can't do, it's all things to all people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

All this talk of Hitman is making me interested but I've heard too many people complain of the difficulty. Is it really that difficult? I have no problem if you have to be patient and careful etc.

Advertisement