Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Hi folks anyone know what the M7/N7 is like from Dublin and onto Roscrea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Kered75

Anyone going from Athboy to Navan forget using that road, just spoke to Navan garda who advised that road is dangerous. Was told next best option to try Athboy-Trim-Navan but am terrified....has anyone gone on part of that route?

Drove the Athboy to Navan road this morning and it is fine.N3 to Dunshaughlin and road on to Ratoath are ok aswell.Road from Ratoath via Kilbride to Blanchardstown is slippy.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Trim to N3 was fine early this morning, was so cold it wasn't as icy (if you know what I mean). N3 to Clonee was fine, but the dual carriage way from Clonee to Blanch was very slippy as was the Navan Road to Dublin city (past Halfway House etc.).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭.243

anyone know what the long hill is like (kilmac to roundwood rd in wicklow)preferred reports from people who know and drive it not radio reports please,(i need to get up to ballinstoe cross rds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

.243 wrote: »
    anyone know what the long hill is like (kilmac to roundwood rd in wicklow)preferred reports from people who know and drive it not radio reports please,(i need to get up to ballinstoe cross rds)

These pics were taken at Annamoe a couple of days back. I would imagine its pretty hairy up there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055784024

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I have to go to the Airport from Rathmines....

I dont drive. :(

I'll taxi it but how long realistically should I allow to get there? How bad is the motorway out that direction??

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Simplyjoe

Currently in Lanzarote,. Trying to persuade the missus to stay another week - avoid all the hastle otherwise will have to drive from Dublin to the West on Saturday!!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

If it snows today like its supposed to, I am not sure you will be driving anywhere this Saturday.... Dublin was chaos yesterday.

My advice.... if you can stay in Lanza for another week, you're mad to come home.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Davo D

Dublin City Council chief engineer Michael Phillips has said its stocks of salt for gritting are down to one day's supply.

Speaking on RTÉ's Morning Ireland, Mr Phillips said that there will be no gritting of secondary routes or footpaths because the stocks were so low and they must concentrate on main routes.

That's it lads, game over.

Additionally if the airflow is as projected NE on saturday sunday and monday-Dublin airport may be close due to snow similar to yesterday and perhaps worse as the Irish sea does it's snow storm producing work once again.

I wouldn't rule out your flight being diverted to shannon or even cancelled... so maybe you won't have to do any persuading with the Mrs at all :pac:

Minor roads here outside arklow are cat by the way.
    Four wheel drive only access on any incline on the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

.243 wrote: »

Forget about it, its impassable even in a tractor.
    Take the R755 to Roundwood and double back to Ballinstoe. Even at that you'll need a 4x4 to get there. The roads around the area are challenging to say the least.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

DeVore wrote: »
    I have to go to the Airport from Rathmines....

I dont drive. :(

I'll taxi it but how long realistically should I allow to get there? How bad is the motorway out that direction??

DeV.
    Anyone been out that direction? Hows the city centre even??

Worried Dev.

According to a Taxi mate of mine, he has been out all morning and thinks that the trip from Rathmines to the Airport will take 40 minutes as "the roads are pretty clear"!

So, thats a relief!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

yeah dev you should be ok on that route.
    a lot of the city centre is still compacted ice though once you get off the main roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

DeVore wrote: »
    According to a Taxi mate of mine, he has been out all morning and thinks that the trip from Rathmines to the Airport will take 40 minutes as "the roads are pretty clear"!

So, thats a relief!

DeV.

Id allow an hour and a half at least to be honest. Just drove from the navan road to city centre, took an hour

Yes but the taxi's can use the bus lanes where available.
    I would budget an hour for the airport though from there as ,whatever about the road conditions,you are at the mercy of people who with the slightest bit of ice will drive such to delay you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Thickning fog in Finglas, North Dublin

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/Site0Camera87.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Yes but the taxi's can use the bus lanes where available.

My favourite part of the job :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Ice_Box wrote: »
    Thickning fog in Finglas, North Dublin

It's drifting in and out here in Dublin 15, you can actually see the particles floating around, looks quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Winger_PL

Be careful on the estate roads people, it's seriously bad. I've skidded in my estate this morning (Maynooth) and crashed into a low garden wall knocking it over, and that's despite the fact that I have years of winter driving experience from Poland. The new year's eve snow has compatced into ice and the yesterday's snow fell on that. Add a freezing night and it's mad there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd like to reiterate what Winger_PL said.
    I went for a walk last night and stuck a key into the ice/snow on a lot of the backroads in Lucan.
    There is half an inch of compacted snow/ice on many of these roads with at least an inch of frozen snow sitting on top of this.

Absolutely lethal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

We can get out even on foot.... No gritting on our surrounding roads, nothing on paths & 20 min walk to nearest "main" road. ( we live in a town just on a side road) It hasnt been gritted since 2nd. Cars cant get in or out due to a big big glassy hill. Paths are glass. 2 vans on the main road did major spins earlier so doubt that was gritted. & if Dublin co co are down to their last day of salt lord help us if that does come in on Sunday - its the weekend so the usual no emergency phone numbers etc.

Last night it was taking an hour and half to get from seafront to Killarney rd that normally takes 2 min literly...... The town no longer has a gritter as it was sold... ( like you can just go down to Samhire & rent one when you need NOTT!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

jenzz wrote: »
    We can get out even on foot.... No gritting on our surrounding roads, nothing on paths & 20 min walk to nearest "main" road. ( we live in a town just on a side road) It hasnt been gritted since 2nd. Cars cant get in or out due to a big big glassy hill. Paths are glass.
    Same here, main roads in the town aren't too bad but the majority of roads in estates are iced up and the pavements (even the pavements on the main street of the town) are lethal, where I live has been icy for a week now, it's a disgrace. All the county council are doing round town at the minute is trimming trees :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Got to go to airport to pick up friend flying in at 10.35 tomorrow morning. I reckon the m6 will be fine as long as i take it easy. but how long will it take to get to the airport from m50 entrance and then into ballsbrigde?
    Any help greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Why wasnt the army deployed two weeks ago using sand from the beaches to grit the roads. It's embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

scrubber72 wrote: »
    Got to go to airport to pick up friend flying in at 10.35 tomorrow morning. I reckon the m6 will be fine as long as i take it easy. but how long will it take to get to the airport from m50 entrance and then into ballsbrigde?
    Any help greatly appreciated

dont know what the trip from galway would be like but the m50 might be ok at that time, and main routes to ballsbridge too.

dublin temps havnt been above 0 all day today. thick fog in many parts of dublin + dublin airport so make sure your mate is actually arriving at the given time. check departures from the city he is leaving too. some flights were diverted to shannon yesterday.

also.. heard some MORE horror stories about grit levels so tomorrow could be a different story again.
    pack the right supplies because you never know...
    not a trip i'd fancy myself

http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

hey read_bairn, did you make it to work yet? what was the route like? Thankfully I could get the dart, but the walk to a from the stations was very treacherous...

I heard. My brother was on the way down this morning. I rang him to ask him aobut the road conditions, he told me not to leave the house, and to tell my mum not to go for a walk as the paths were lethal.

However I dared the route and went via Kilcoole/Delgany exit to N11 and the roads were much better after I past the Enniskerry exit. From there I was able to make it to Carrickmines within about 10mins.

Went to Tesco there, car park is lethal (most of it is in some shade) the compact ice is gonna stay there until somebody starts a cleanup! - Reckon It'll freeze more tonight.

Saw some people walking about with hiking poles or some other items (probably brushes for the house - pole taken off)...

Anyways, not going on the roads for the next few days while this freeze is still here...I think we're due heavy waether Sat/Sun...when I've gotta go to Dublin for TEFL training...bah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭DonnieBrasco

Why wasnt the army deployed two weeks ago using sand from the beaches to grit the roads. It's embarrassing.

get the prisons to do it. get the army to keep 'em in line !

The trip from Rathmines to the Airport took 40 minutes in the end. The main motor way is slushy but gritted and not slippy. Very little traffic and all moving well, could have been any day of the year!! Very surprised...

Back roads from Swords to Malahide is ok too, but tonight its going to be bad as its not gritted and its quite wet and slushy...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Darwin

Darwin wrote: »
    Hi folks anyone know what the M7/N7 is like from Dublin and onto Roscrea?

In case this is of interest to anyone, I've just driven this route from the airport and the roads were fine.

Advertisement