Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road conditions-Report here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

County Council need to get these...

polarpro_1.jpg

$1500.. not that expensive to kit out each council office...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

West Dublin, clondalkin/lucan/tallaght/citywest is in the worst state i've seen it since the cold spell began,all main roads are lethal, outer ringroad from citywest to adamstown took me about an 1:20 to travel this evening which would normally take 10 mins!

Either ways if your traveling take care out there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 keano12

m50 and n11 all clear, bit of slush but some people still doing over 100mph

anyone trying to get out of sandford go trough leopardstown race course but take it very slow or you will skid out,

bray excits all clear but main streets still slushly keep on the brakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

eireal wrote: »
    West Dublin, clondalkin/lucan/tallaght/citywest is in the worst state i've seen it since the cold spell began

Tallaght's pretty bad - very icy around Old Bawn/Aylesbury & Kiltipper. The section of Kiltipper rd above the roundabout (i.e. past Ellensborough, Kitlipper Gate & Deerpark) is extremely bad and there are a lot of cars slipping & skidding while trying to go up the hill. Best avoided!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

absolute disaster out there today. Left Rialto headed for Goatstown at 2.10pm and got home at 5.55pm. Dolphins barn was inpassable,tenerure likewise and was stuck on the orwell road for an hour. Where the hell where the gritters?:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Hello?

Maybe the article below will help to bring some peace of mind about snow clearing and winter driving. We go through this every winter. Winter weather isn't a surprise here. Everyone knows we're going to get snow, snowstorms, high winds, high windchills, whiteouts, black ice. Yet, the city is always behind in cleaning up the streets and major roadways because of a lack of equipment. There were over 200 car accidents. Amazingly, only one person was seriously injured. This storm left several areas in the city with streets that were snowed in under 2 meter high snowdrifts which made them impassable. It was five days before the city crews were able to clear them. Very fortunately, there were no emergencies. Like most places, what's most dangerous on the roads are the drivers...especially those in SUV's and pickup trucks. They think they're invincible. There've been three more storms since then including yesterday (January 5) and the streets and major roadways were dangerous and a mess. Hope your weather improves soon! Only three more months 'til April. (Couldn't attach the photos with the article which were worth a thousand words.)

The winter blast created huge banks of snow throughout Calgary on Saturday. (Courtesy of Naim Krasniqi)The intense winter storm that hit much of Alberta Friday created havoc at airports and on roads Saturday, while police urged commuters to stay home.
    The storm, which dumped as much as 20 centimetres of snow on much of the province, led to treacherous driving conditions and caused dozens of car accidents.
    Highway 2 was closed between Calgary and Airdrie Friday night, reopening at about 8 a.m. MT Saturday morning.
    However, police said conditions on the highway were still very poor, and warned travel north of Airdrie on the highway was not advisable. Highway 1 remained open, but police advised motorists to beware of black ice and poor visibility.
    In Calgary, the snow made for poor driving conditions throughout the city.
    City spokesman Shawn Somers said crews worked all night Friday trying to clear the main commuter routes.
    "In terms of our ability to be effective on the roads, the less traffic the better. So if folks are able to stay home, certainly that would allow us to get our job done more efficiently," he said.
    "In some ways this is kind of lucky that the snow hit when it did in that we have Saturday, which is a commuter-free day, which is going to open up the roads and allow us to be a little more effective in not having to battle traffic."
    Somers told CBC News on Saturday morning crews had been working for more than 28 hours straight in an attempt to keep more than 3,500 kilometres of major roadways clear.
    In Edmonton, ice and accumulated snow on the road made driving conditions treacherous, while blowing snow made for poor visibility.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Anyone know the condition of the n4/M4 out of Dublin. I'd say the eurolink M4/M6 will be ok as even at the worst of times it is clear. I am just worried about the Chapalozid bypass and palmerstown lights area.

Any info appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

Anyone know what the M1 is like in either direction?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

4.5 hours Eastwall to Maynooth.
    Left at 5,just arrived in the door now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭jessbud

TomTom wrote: »
    Anyone know the condition of the n4/M4 out of Dublin. I'd say the eurolink M4/M6 will be ok as even at the worst of times it is clear. I am just worried about the Chapalozid bypass and palmerstown lights area.

Any info appreciated.

My brother in law was on the n4 from Lucan to Kilcock this evening, very bad and very slow, very heavy snow around lucan/palmerstown area. Don't know about the Chapelizod bypass but from previous nights I'd say try and avoid it if you can.... Partner came home from mullingar on the m6 this afternoon said it was grand, no snow that direction and grand at the M4/M6. Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

My brother just rang me from Sandyford. The roads are completely unpassable and he's walking it home. Not a gritter in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

Bandit12 wrote: »
    My brother just rang me from Sandyford. The roads are completely unpassable and he's walking it home. Not a gritter in sight.

From the park and ride to the new tracks on the road was nuts at 5:30. even lifting of the brake caused the wheels to spin. lots of glassy ice out there. Ok once i got to leopardstown and then to Foxrock, Cornelscourt hill was fine then..

Sandyford is too congested to be gritted,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninalucy1985

Limerick city roads are fine today :)
    no ice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Is it still busy out there?

Chapalozid bypass was bad alright but passable. I am wondering if I should drive or not. Big fear is that if I don't it will be worst tomorrow night and I am stuck in Dublin for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Hello? wrote: »
    Maybe the article below will help to bring some peace of mind about snow clearing and winter driving. We go through this every winter. Winter weather isn't a surprise here. Everyone knows we're going to get snow, snowstorms, high winds, high windchills, whiteouts, black ice. Yet, the city is always behind in cleaning up the streets and major roadways because of a lack of equipment. There were over 200 car accidents. Amazingly, only one person was seriously injured. This storm left several areas in the city with streets that were snowed in under 2 meter high snowdrifts which made them impassable. It was five days before the city crews were able to clear them. Very fortunately, there were no emergencies. Like most places, what's most dangerous on the roads are the drivers...especially those in SUV's and pickup trucks. They think they're invincible. There've been three more storms since then including yesterday (January 5) and the streets and major roadways were dangerous and a mess. Hope your weather improves soon! Only three more months 'til April. (Couldn't attach the photos with the article which were worth a thousand words.)

The winter blast created huge banks of snow throughout Calgary on Saturday. (Courtesy of Naim Krasniqi)The intense winter storm that hit much of Alberta Friday created havoc at airports and on roads Saturday, while police urged commuters to stay home.
    The storm, which dumped as much as 20 centimetres of snow on much of the province, led to treacherous driving conditions and caused dozens of car accidents.
    Highway 2 was closed between Calgary and Airdrie Friday night, reopening at about 8 a.m. MT Saturday morning.
    However, police said conditions on the highway were still very poor, and warned travel north of Airdrie on the highway was not advisable. Highway 1 remained open, but police advised motorists to beware of black ice and poor visibility.
    In Calgary, the snow made for poor driving conditions throughout the city.
    City spokesman Shawn Somers said crews worked all night Friday trying to clear the main commuter routes.
    "In terms of our ability to be effective on the roads, the less traffic the better. So if folks are able to stay home, certainly that would allow us to get our job done more efficiently," he said.
    "In some ways this is kind of lucky that the snow hit when it did in that we have Saturday, which is a commuter-free day, which is going to open up the roads and allow us to be a little more effective in not having to battle traffic."
    Somers told CBC News on Saturday morning crews had been working for more than 28 hours straight in an attempt to keep more than 3,500 kilometres of major roadways clear.
    In Edmonton, ice and accumulated snow on the road made driving conditions treacherous, while blowing snow made for poor visibility.

Good to know other countries have similar problems.

I've also heard Ireland has far more roads per capita than probably anywhere else so we can't really expect all of them to be kept clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭eimsRV

Just adding in case it might help someone ....

I was coming up the N3 from town, reached M50 roundabout at 830 - was mayhem! Lights are out at roundabout and it was free for all. Dublin City FM (103.2) was still broadcasting at that time. They were reporting that M50 off ramp south at blanch was taking 2 hours, and that M50 off ramp southbound at lucan was taking 2 hours, and north bound 1 hour - apparently lucan slips off M50 were like ice and were very bad all the way to leixlip. I'm not sure if they didnt report on past Leixlip because it was ok, ir they just didnt have information.

For my journey I was heading on up the N3. Going over M50 - looking down it was jammers heading southbound.
    N3outbound from M50 was great - well gritted too all the way up in to Littlepace/Clonee. On the opposite side of the road it looked dire. Reports it was taking 4 hours from Mulhuddard/Quinn Building to M50 on N3 inbound.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭eigrod

I guess there's zero chance of a thaw between now and morning anywhere on the east coast and we're looking at glassy-like roads to get to work ?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kwinabeeste

Live near the Stillorgan Dual Carraigeway and can normally hear cars. It only dawned on me a few minutes ago when one passed by that there is no sound tonight. No one seems to be travelling! That says something!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I need to get from Galway to Waterford tomorrow - probably go N18 to Limerick and then Clonmel, Carrick on Suir on to Waterford.

Anyone travel this today - is it passable or risky?

All around Galway is clear, back roads outside the city are deadly with hard packed snow and frost remaining on many in the Tuam direction.

Thanks,

'cptr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

eigrod wrote: »
    I guess there's zero chance of a thaw between now and morning anywhere on the east coast and we're looking at glassy-like roads to get to work ?

Judging by these temperatures I dont think so
    &nbspN81 Tallaght Jan 06, 23:00 -3.8° C.
    &nbspN81 Baltinglass Jan 06, 22:40 -11.7° C.
    &nbspM50 Sandyford Jan 06, 23:10 -2.3° C.
    &nbspM7 Newbridge Bypass Jan 06, 23:00 -10.3° C.
    &nbspM7 Portlaoise Bypass Jan 06, 23:10 -7.5° C.
    DUBLIN AIRPORT NW 09 FAIR -6

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

just got in at03.20 am to near new ross. had to travel to rosslare then to Dublin airport i left rosslare at 2.45 pm spent hour in airport , rest of time travelling, roads are atrotious, and i must say 99% of road user were teriffic with regard to speed and keeping didtance, but of course its the other 1% that were complete twats didnt give a **** about anyones safety, anyways made it home safe thankfully but knackered
    end of moan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Parnell Sq West, Granby Row to Dorset St is an obstacle course of pulled up busses, and skidded vans and they are all sliding back with their flashers on...

Beware!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

In case AAroadwatch site goes down
    Updated: 07/01/2010 07:36:38

Road conditions are very bad nationwide. Most secondary roads are treacherous with compacted snow and ice and all hills and inclines should be avoided where possible. The worst is Leinster where main roads are also badly affected. The lowest road temperatures -10.0° C. on the N2 at Monaghan. *LEINSTER* *WICKLOW/WEXFORD* The N11 and N81 are treacherous due to compacted snow. All secondary and by-roads are bad. Windgate in Greystones is passable. Avoid Wicklow Gap, Sally Gap, Glencree, Delgany, Roundwood & Rathdrum. *WEXFORD* The N11 and N25 is treacherous due to compacted snow. Bad around Bunclody *KILDARE* The M7/N7 and the M4 is ok as far as Dublin. All secondary roads are poor and that includes the towns of Kildare, Newbridge & Naas. No through road for HGV’s on the Monasterevin/Athy Rd. *KILKENNY* Kilkenny City routes are ok. All county routes are poor but the worst the Bennettsbridge/Thomastown Rd (R700).

*CARLOW* The M9 is down to one lane both ways between Kilcullen and Carlow. • Very poor on the N80 Carlow/Wexford Rd. • The N81 is impassable between Tullow and Bunclody. • The Borris/Bagenalstown Rd (R705) is closed. *LOUTH* Treacherous in Drogheda. Take care on the M1 at J11 Monasterboice. Very icy around Ardee and on the Dundalk/Carrickmacross Rd (R178). *LAOIS* Very icy on the M7 between Portlaoise and Monasterevin and poor on the N7 Dublin/Limerick Rd around Mountrath. *MEATH* The N2 remains down to one lane both ways at Ashbourne. Icy on the N51 Navan/Slane Rd, also around Ratoath, around Trim, on the Longwood and Batterstown Rds. Icy also around Kells - on the N52 Carlanstown Rd, the Athboy Rd & Oldcastle Rd. Treacherous conditions on Julianstown/Laytown Rd.

*MUNSTER* *CORK* Icy conditions around Lough Church on the Lough Rd in Cork city centre as a watermain burst yesterday. • Dangerous on secondary roads around Macroom. Avoid the Ballyvourney/Clondrohid Rd. *KERRY* The Listowel/Ballylongford Rd (R552) is icy. • Icy on secondary roads around Killarney. • Care is advised in the Sneem area. • Conor Pass near Dingle remains closed. *ULSTER* *MONAGHAN* Icy on the N2 Monaghan/Dublin Rd particularly at Ardee. *CAVAN* Poor roads in Bailieborough particularly on the Kingscourt, Mullagh, Shercock and Virginia Rds. • Treacherous on the N16 Enniskillen/Sligo Rd between Blacklion and Glenfarne (Leitrim). *DONEGAL* Very icy around Letterkenny.

*CONNAUGHT* *GALWAY* Continue to take care on the M6 around Oranmore and also on the Old N6 Ballinasloe/Athlone Rd. • Care advised on the N59 Recess/Clifden Rd. • Icy on secondary roads in Gort, Craughwell, Clifden, Ballinasloe and Derrydonnell. *ROSCOMMON* Motorists are advised to avoid unnecessary journeys. The Frenchpark/Boyle Rd (R361) and Boyle/Gurteen Rd (R294) are very icy but passable. *SLIGO* Recent snowfall is leading to treacherous conditions, particularly in Ballymote and Tubbercurry. *MAYO* Icy around Ballina, Claremorris, Castlebar&Westport and the Westport/Louisbourgh Rd (R335). * Very icy in parts on the local road from Swinford to Aclare.
    Updated: 07/01/2010 07:38:41

**Road conditions are treacherous this morning. This is affecting main routes and city centre areas, as well as the suburbs and housing estates. Avoid any unnecessary journeys. If you must travel remember that your braking distance in ice is ten times greater than normal** *DUBLIN BUS* Dublin Bus are running a full service on main corridors with curtailments. See the Travl section or www.dublinbus.ie for more. Customer Service line 01-8734222 will be available from 07:00hrs. *DUBLIN AIRPORT* Dublin airport is open but a number of flights have been cancelled. Check with your airline before travelling to the airport. *BUS ÉIREANN* Bus Éireann services are running with delays and some cancellations. Contact you local travel office before travelling. *DART* All DART services are running to schedule. *LUAS* There are 15 min delays on Luas Red Line services due to slow moving traffic. Green line services are running to schedule.

*INCIDENTS* • There is a collision on the Ballycullen Rd at the R/A. • A crash after Cherry Orchard Hospital approaching Palmerston is causing delays. • An incident on N32 is blocking one lane at Bewley’s Hotel approaching the M1/M50. All routes in the city are extremely icy, some of the worst routes are; • The M50 has been gritted, icy patches southbound from the M1/M50 to J9 Red Cow and northbound at J13 Ballinteer. Care should be taken on the on and off ramps. • M1 in both directions from Dublin Port Tunnel to J2 Dublin Airport. • The jct of East Wall/Alfie Byrne Rd is extremely icy. • N81 Tallaght Bypass outbound from the M50 at J11 Tallaght to Citywest-Avoid this route. • N3 Navan Rd from Ashtown to the M50 and from before Clonee to the M50. • N4 Lucan Rd inbound from Ballyfermot. • From Inchicore onto N7 Naas Rd at the Red Cow. • Rathgar Rd in both directions. • Bushy Park Rd – Treacherous. • Terenure Rd Nrth and very bad on Terenure Rd East bothways.

OTHER AREAS TO WATCH OUT FOR: • In the city centre, Church St Bridge and James Joyce Bridge are very icy. Prussia St is extremely icy and should be avoided. • Harolds Cross and Baggot St bridges are extremely icy. • The Chapelizod, Islandbridge and Knockmaroon Gates in the Phoenix Park remain closed and are unlikely to reopen until conditions improve. TO THE SOUTH OF THE CITY: • Newtownpark Ave, Brewery Rd & Stradbrook Rd. • Shankill, Killiney, Ballybrack and Loughlinstown. • Very icy on the Kilgobbin Rd in Stepaside, Glencullen and on Blackglen and Enniskerry Rds from Lambs Cross. • Very icy on Grange Rd and Ballyboden Rd near Marley Park. • Woodford Ave in Clondalkin is impassable. • Rathmines Gardaí are advising motorists that Rathgar Ave, Kenilworth Rd, Rathmines Rd and Cowper Rd are very slippery. Avoid Dartry Rd onto Miltown Rd. • Lwr Rathmines Rd in both directions. • Templeogue Rd inbound

WEST OF THE CITY: • Slippery in Blanchardstown, Snugborough Rd, Auburn Ave. In the Blanchardstown area Church Rd, Damastown Avenue and Damastown Way are closed. • In the Ronanstown area the Neilstown Rd and Station Rd Bridges are impassable. • Continue to avoid the Strawberry Beds and Tinkers Hill. Also very icy on the Newcastle Rd, the Griffen Rd and Chapel Hill. Very icy also on Ballyowen Lane off the N4. Nearby, Gardai are still advising caution on Knockmaroon Hill. • Very icy around The Square in Tallaght and near the entrance to the hospital. NORTH OF THE CITY: • Still very icy on Carrickbrack Rd, Windgate Rd & Windgate Rise in Howth. *TRAFFIC* * Slow moving on the N1 Swords Rd to the Griffith Ave jct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭red_bairn

According to AA Roadwatch Windgates is unpassable and Delgany is just as bad, so I'm heading to the N11 exit at southbound of Greystones to make my way to work...If I don't make, you'll prolly see another message here soon :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Cleavage1970

Anyone going from Athboy to Navan forget using that road, just spoke to Navan garda who advised that road is dangerous. Was told next best option to try Athboy-Trim-Navan but am terrified....has anyone gone on part of that route?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Any know what the roads are like in west Dublin, Lucan/clondalkin today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

M18/N18 ennis to Limerick, is fine as of 7am thismorning.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭FullOf..IT

quarryman wrote: »
    Any know what the roads are like in west Dublin, Lucan/clondalkin today?

+1

Also whats N4 from Maynooth to M50 like?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

red_bairn wrote: »
    According to AA Roadwatch Windgates is unpassable and Delgany is just as bad, so I'm heading to the N11 exit at southbound of Greystones to make my way to work...If I don't make, you'll prolly see another message here soon :rolleyes:

hey read_bairn, did you make it to work yet? what was the route like? Thankfully I could get the dart, but the walk to a from the stations was very treacherous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Good to know other countries have similar problems.

I've also heard Ireland has far more roads per capita than probably anywhere else so we can't really expect all of them to be kept clear.

There's snow and then there's Alberta snow. It was probably about -30 at the time aswell. I was in Calgary in May once and it was a warm +26c and there was still huge blocks of frozen ice around the river that runs through it.

Advertisement